Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yesterday, September 13, Emperor Akihito declared the opening of the extraordinary session of parliament
in Tokyo and he and Empress Michiko received Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos with his wife, Maria
Clemencia Rodriguez at the Imperial Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife gallery **

HM the Emperor at Hokkaido September 9 - 12, 2011

HM the Emperor Akihito has visited Hokkaido Island September 9th - 12th, 2011.
HM the Empress Michiko has cancelled the visit due to acute cervical pain.
Emperor Akihito attended ceremony for International Congress of International Union of Microbiological Societies on September 10th, 2011.
HM has visited Ainu Museum on September 11th. The Ainu were aboriginal of northern Japan. The Emperor enjoyed traditional Ainu dance there.

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** **Pic 3** - credits Kyodo

HM the Emperor Akihito has visited the exhibition of Kukai and Art of Tantric Buddhism held in Tokyo National Museum on 8th September. HM the Empress Michiko has cancelled the visit due to acute cervical pain.

**Pic** - Kyodo

Thanks the updates!
The Imperial couple appears to have a busy agenda.

Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has been received by Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace
in Tokyo September 28, 2011. Aquino was on a four-day visit to Japan.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Emperor Akihito visited the Fuji Manufacturing Co., a manufacturer of metal and
glass working machinery in Tokyo's Edogawa Ward, on October 5, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Very nice new birthday portraits:

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in the garden of the Imperial Residence at the Imperial
Palace in Tokyo in this handout picture released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan
and taken October 6, 2011. Empress Michiko celebrates her 77th birthday on October 20, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Press Conference on the occasion of Her Majesty's Birthday (Written Answers) (2011)
[...]
Regarding the four grandchildren, in the Akishino family, the eldest daughter Mako is nineteen and the second eldest Kako, sixteen, and in the Crown Prince's family, Aiko, is nine years, and the youngest of the Akishinos, Hisahito, has just turned five.

They all have different personalities of their own, and are all very dear and precious to me. I always look forward to their visits and hope to continue to enjoy and cherish the moments I can spend with them.
[...] Mako, the eldest daughter of Prince and Princess Akishino, will be celebrating her Coming of Age this year. It brings me much joy to see that Mako has grown to be thoughtful and considerate, and true to the name given to her by her parents, a sincere and upright person.

Empress Michiko has received Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on November 4, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It is nice that Her Imperial Majesty has had an audience with Prince Joachim and his wife. Empress looked amazing.

Emperor Akihito hospitalised for bronchitis

AFP: Emperor Akihito hospitalised for bronchitis
Japan's Emperor Akihito was admitted to hospital late Sunday suffering from fever and bronchitis, the royal palace said.The 77-year-old emperor "will be hospitalised from tonight because he has had a persistent fever and begun to show more concerning symptoms of bronchitis," a spokesman for the imperial household agency said.
Television footage later showed the Emperor arriving by car at the University of Tokyo Hospital accompanied by Empress Michiko.
The emperor will be treated at the hospital only days after his granddaughter Aiko -- the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako -- was hospitalised there for pneumonia.
Aiko was discharged on Saturday.

**Pic** - Fuji TV

HM had suffered from lung tuberculosis when he was a teenager after WWII.
I wish him speedy recovery.

AFP: Emperor Akihito hospitalised for bronchitis
Japan's Emperor Akihito was admitted to hospital late Sunday suffering from fever and bronchitis, the royal palace said.The 77-year-old emperor "will be hospitalised from tonight because he has had a persistent fever and begun to show more concerning symptoms of bronchitis," a spokesman for the imperial household agency said.
Television footage later showed the Emperor arriving by car at the University of Tokyo Hospital accompanied by Empress Michiko.
The emperor will be treated at the hospital only days after his granddaughter Aiko -- the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako -- was hospitalised there for pneumonia.
Aiko was discharged on Saturday.

**Pic** - Fuji TV

HM had suffered from lung tuberculosis when he was a teenager after WWII.
I wish him speedy recovery.

That sounds a bit omnious.

Is he otherwise in good health?

Sadly, the IHA rarely give detailed statements so I hope this isn't as gloomy as it sounds. Best wishes for the Emperor.

I wish His Imperial Majesty a speedy recovery.

Akihito: The 125th Emperor of Japan - CNN.com
Japan's 77-year-old emperor is currently in hospital, several days after coming down with a fever, a spokesperson with the Imperial Household Agency says. Emperor Akihito, a ceremonial but revered figure in the Japan, was suffering from a worsening case of bronchitis and the fever he contracted Thursday, according to the spokesperson, who declined to be identified due to the agency's media protocol.
"He appears to be fatigued and has lost some resistance to fight against sickness," the spokesperson said. "To be on the safe side, he was hospitalized (Sunday night) at University of Tokyo Hospital."
It is the emperor's second time in a hospital this year, after getting medical treatment in February for extensive tests of his coronary arteries.
In recent years some analysts believe Akihito's health has been affected by stress.

I hope it is nothing serious and may he have a quick recovery and be well enough for his birthday that is coming -December 23-

Emperor remains hospitalized, Crown Prince Naruhito stands in - National Royal News | Examiner.com
Emperor Akihito continues to be hospitalized with bronchitis and a fever at the University of Tokyo Hospital.
On Monday, the Chief Cabinet Secretary reported that the Emperor was going to continue to receive treatment and that the fever had not gone down recently.
[...]
Empress Michiko was seen visiting her husband twice on Monday alone, and she has understandably canceled her work schedule.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation!:flowers:
His Imperial Majesty will get the best medical care available. It makes sense for Crown Prince Naruhito to temporarily assume his father's responsibilities.

Last edited:
We are watching the beginnings of Prince Naruhito's reign, as he stands in for his ailing father, and then promises to take on more of his fatigued father's duties. I hope the Emperor can find a way to rest, as it sounds like he has been experiencing fatigue for awhile. The fact that the Empress has so many work responsibilities at her age is troubling - hopefully they can get a respite and enjoy themselves while Prince Naruhito gets to be more active.

Emperor's discharge from hospital postponed due to fever

Emperor's discharge from hospital postponed due to fever - The Mainichi Daily News
Emperor Akihito will remain hospitalized for at least another day and not be discharged on Friday as scheduled, as his fever went up again temporarily in the morning, the IHA said.
[...]
The agency said the discharge will be postponed until Saturday or later, depending on his condition.
The emperor's physicians decided on Thursday he could return to the Imperial Palace for recuperation as his fever had come down although he was still coughing slightly. But the cough worsened that night and the fever returned on Friday morning, according to the agency.

Japan emperor stays in hospital as temperature rises | Reuters
The following year, the royal agency said he would cut back on official duties such as speeches and meeting foreign dignitaries.

:previous:
Well, it is better to be safe than sorry. It would be wise for Emperor Akihito to remain in the hospital until he feels well.

AFP: Japanese emperor extends hospital stay
Japan's Emperor Akihito is to remain in hospital, the palace said Monday, extending his treatment for bronchitis into a second week.The 77-year-old's temperature rose over the weekend and his cough continued, the Imperial Household Agency said.
[...]
Akihito was admitted to the University of Tokyo Hospital on November 6 for fever and symptoms of bronchitis.
The palace later said he would be discharged on November 11, but that date was subsequently pushed back as he failed to recover.

:previous:
I hope His Imperial Majesty will get well soon.

I hope His Imperial Majesty will get well soon.
According to the medical reports the fever lasts for 10 days already, the antibacterial therapy is not effective (I wonder why?:ermm:).
Besides, His Majesty is exhausted and his immune system is not responding the treatment well.
I do not think the speedy recovery is going to happen...:sad:

Emperor Akihito remains in hospital, November duties cancelled - National Royal News | Examiner.com
[...]
His diagnosis at this point is prolonged bronchitis and his fever remains elevated at around 38C.
Once the fever went back up again, the doctors cancelled the planned discharge. So while the Emperor still rests to regain his heath, the doctors have said that the risk for pneumonia is low, which is a relief. Due to his extended stay the Emperor will attend none of his scheduled events in November, and other members of the imperial family will fill in.

Japanese Emperor has mild pneumonia - 18/11/2011

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom