The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I think that the bow by Obama was in recognition of the Japanese style of greeting generally, rather than a specific bow to imperial royalty. It was nice to see the video clip and the main impression I have is how lovely the Empress acts and greets people - very calm, subtle and kindly.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Courtier

I support Obama's bow. I frankly think it's rude when foreign leaders (like Dick Cheney when he was VP) don't bow to the emperor. Akihito is the senior head of state in this case (he has 19 years on Obama), and is an older man than the American president. I am certain the president bowed for cultural reasons, mainly because he would have made the same effort for Elizabeth II in the UK if he was confused about protocol. Also, and I have no problem admitting this here on the RF, I have a very ingrained sense that elected leaders should always show respect to the representatives of great historic lineages.

So, getting past the bow...are there other pictures of President Obama with the Emperor and Empress?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Most of those criticizing Obama for this are doing it simply for partisan reasons. History and the war have nothing to do with it. I'll bet none of these people were bothered when "Tricky Dicky" Nixon bowed to Emperor Hirohito himself. However, Obama did manage to goof it -you do NOT shake hands while bowing. The Emperor seemed a little amused by it. Regardless of that though I think it was an entirely appropriate sign of respect to a very long reigning and well regarded monarch. I'm sure the Japanese were pleased to see the U.S. President showing such respect to their Emperor, the symbol of their nation.

Excellent post as usual Bones. The outcry over this bowing incident is just...baffling. When Former First Lady Nancy Reagan visited Britain, I distinctly remember that she curtsied to HM The Queen, and I think she did so again during the royal visit to the States later in the decade. I just visited another site where someone has posted photos of President Eisenhower bowing to the wife of the then Prime Minister of Italy, President DeGaulle AND Pope John XXIII!!

Unless Mr President genuflected or got down on his knees or something similar, I think the gesture was an appropriate and respectful one.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Courtier

Heads of States do not bow/curtsey to each other. Their spouses may choose to show respect by opting to do so, however Heads of States are considered 'equal', and therefore a handshake would be sufficient.

This said, I see nothing wrong with Obama's bow; it showed he knows Japanese traditions well and respects them.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

TIM had visited the Reikanji Temple, a Buddhist temple headed by a nun of imperial lineage, in Sakyo Ward in Kyoto on Nov. 20, 2009.
Picture by Kyodo
Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

It is great to see TIM traveling thorughout the country!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

An article in The Japan Times - questions and answers about Emperor Akihito
An interesting opinion about the relations between the Emperor and the Princely couple, IMO.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

It's an interesting article, but the writer didn't mention the Emperor's priestly function in the Shinto religion. So the list of the types of official engagements that he does is incomplete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
An article in The Japan Times - questions and answers about Emperor Akihito
An interesting opinion about the relations between the Emperor and the Princely couple, IMO.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

The article provides more details about the Imperial family than usual. However, the answers were diplomatically vague. I might be mistaken, but the sum allocated to the Imperial family was never mentioned.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

HM the Emperor will meet the Vice President of China on December 15th - Japan Times

HM the Empress visited the photo exibition commemorating Kazuya Ito, a member of the nongovernmental organization Peshawar-kai who was abducted and killed by insurgents in Afghanistan in August 2008.
Japan Times article
Old 12-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Uruguay President Tabare Vazquez ,and his wife, Maria Auxiliadora, are greeted by Japanese Emperor Akihito, and Empress Michiko upon their arrival at Imperial Palace in Tokyo, Japan, Monday, Dec. 14, 2009. Vazquez was on a five-day official visit to Japan.

Photos from AP via Yahoo
1, 2
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Majesty

Vice-President Xi Jinping of China was received by the HM The Emperor.Mr.Xi Jinping is seen as the next President of China after Mr.Hu Jintao will step down within 2 or 3 years.So,one can not let a powerfull and friendly neighbour wait when Mr.Jinping requested an audience with the Emperor.Flexibility isn't the strongest of points for the Kumaicho and the issue got into a lot of turmoil.The poor Emperor finding himself in the middle of it all.Different cultures,different customs.

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Keeping the emperor out of diplomacy

courtesy hja
Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Emperor Akihito celebrates his 76th birthday on Dec. 23, 2009.

Official photos and video released by the Imperial Household Agency.
English translation of the Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2009)

Photo from Sankei news
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Nobility

Happy birthday to His Majesty the Emperor! May he have many, many more to come. Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Is the Emperor of Japan the only monarch who goes by the title of Emperor? As far as I know, there's no Japanese Empire in existence now.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Crown Princess Masako Crown Prince Naruhito, Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko make a public appearance to celebrate the Emperor's 76th birthday at the Imperial Palace on December 23, 2009 in Tokyo.

Photos from getty images via Daylife

AP
1, 2

Reuters
Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Zimbio gallery
People Celebrate Emperor Akihito's 76th Birthday - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy View Post
Emperor Akihito celebrates his 76th birthday on Dec. 23, 2009.

Official photos and video released by the Imperial Household Agency.
English translation of the Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2009)

Photo from Sankei news
I can't see the video!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Nice to see the family together.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko