The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

A similar story, except in this one it is only a possibility!

Emperor Akihito, who was seven years old when the airborne assault took place, and his wife Empress Michiko are thought to be planning a highly symbolic 'unofficial' stopover in Hawaii en route to Canada in July.

Emperor Akihito to become first Japanese leader to visit Pearl Harbour since WWII | Mail Online

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

If he visits the monument, this could be one of the most important visits of his reign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
A similar story, except in this one it is only a possibility!

Emperor Akihito, who was seven years old when the airborne assault took place, and his wife Empress Michiko are thought to be planning a highly symbolic 'unofficial' stopover in Hawaii en route to Canada in July.

Emperor Akihito to become first Japanese leader to visit Pearl Harbour since WWII | Mail Online

Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquesa d Yolombó View Post
I just read it !!

Very kind gesture of the Imperial Couple to make hommage to those fallen in Pearl Harbor attack.

Let's hope people in Japan -mainly nationalists- think so too, because everything the Imperial Family does regarding WWII has huge controversy in their country, because by one side part of the population approves it -progressists- while another part -natonalist- criticises it.
You are absolutely right, Marquesa d Yolombó, and, what surprises me (well, maybe I´m being naive?) is that there are nationalists not only in Japan but obviously also in the US who think that the imperial couple has no business to go to Pearl Harbour, see this discussion: Lucianne.com News Forum - Thread
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks a lot for the discussion, ChiaraC !!

I don't think your're being naïve...that's human nature, I guess... the age-old concept of "us and them".

I found a very interesting post on Their Majesties golden wedding anniversary, which will be in April 10: there is an idea of inviting 100 couples that are also having their golden anniversaries this year to an hour-long tea with Their Majesties.

More info here:
100 couples to be invited to Imperial golden wedding anniversary ceremony - The Mainichi Daily News

¿Tea, anyone?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Japanese Emperor, with his Empress, to visit for first time in 50 years

The Emperor of Japan is planning his first visit to Canada in more than 50 years and this time will bring with him the Empress, the Japanese consulate announced Friday......
Japanese Emperor, with his Empress, to visit for first time in 50 years
Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquesa d Yolombó View Post
Thanks a lot for the discussion, ChiaraC !!

I don't think your're being naïve...that's human nature, I guess... the age-old concept of "us and them".

I found a very interesting post on Their Majesties golden wedding anniversary, which will be in April 10: there is an idea of inviting 100 couples that are also having their golden anniversaries this year to an hour-long tea with Their Majesties.

More info here:
100 couples to be invited to Imperial golden wedding anniversary ceremony - The Mainichi Daily News "
What a good idea! !100 couples to be invited to Imperial Golden Wedding Anniversary will be very nice to see. I don't think other royals had celebrated this kind of anniversary in such an original way. I wish I could be travelling to Japan just to see this beatiful event. :w00t2:

Vanesa.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with you !!!
That will be remarkable for the chosen ones !!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Oh very good to see a great event in Japan, can't wait to see!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Empress Michiko injured knee in Feb; recovery will take months

Empress Michiko sustained a ligament injury in her left knee when she fell while playing tennis in early February at the Imperial Palace........
Empress Michiko injured knee in Feb; recovery will take months › Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh did this to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary as well. I thought that perhaps the Imperial Couple got the idea from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
What a good idea! !100 couples to be invited to Imperial Golden Wedding Anniversary will be very nice to see. I don't think other royals had celebrated this kind of anniversary in such an original way. I wish I could be travelling to Japan just to see this beatiful event. :w00t2:

Vanesa.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope that the Empress will continue to heal without complications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy View Post
Empress Michiko injured knee in Feb; recovery will take months

Empress Michiko sustained a ligament injury in her left knee when she fell while playing tennis in early February at the Imperial Palace........
Empress Michiko injured knee in Feb; recovery will take months › Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I wish Empress Michiko speedy recovery.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

That's a very painful injury to have especially on the knee which is a joint (so moves alot) and has much pressure on it anyway (whenever we walk or are standing). These things take longer to fully heal the older we get so it will take a few months for the Empress to get better. Hopefully, she is not in any pain and will rest the knee properly.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Nobility

Will have some gala event for the Golden Jubilee of the emperores?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
That's a very painful injury to have especially on the knee which is a joint (so moves alot) and has much pressure on it anyway (whenever we walk or are standing). These things take longer to fully heal the older we get so it will take a few months for the Empress to get better. Hopefully, she is not in any pain and will rest the knee properly.
Gosh ! So close to their Jubilee !!

Let's hope she recovers soon... however, if she is as much as an active lady as I think she is, she will have to hang around in crutches for a few months.

Steady recovery, Empress Michiko !
Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

In this photo released by Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Emperor Akihito looks on as Empress Michiko attaches a label to a tree in a garden of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Monday, March 30, 2009.

Photos from AP via Yahoo
Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

There's an Enka song named "An OLd Loving Couple" and I always remember Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko when hearing it...It came quickly to my mind when I saw the last two pics you posted, Mandyy. Vanesa.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Emperor Akihito's fugu feast - Monsters and Critics
(courtesy of Jenee, TheRoyalForum)

Quote:
A chef wants to feed Japan's Emperor Akihito poisonous blowfish.
Yutaka Sasaki thinks the 75-year-old royal - who is protected by a centuries-old law which bans the Japanese monarch from eating the fish, known as fugu - should "set a good example" and chow down.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

wow !!! I don't think the Emperor should eat that fish... it is a risk anyway, isn't it? Besides, there are laws banishing it.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Courtier

Courtesy of Zimbio(Getty).

"23rd April 2009-Emperor Akihito- 2009 Japan Prize Award Ceremony- National Theater-Tokyo, Japan."

Emperor Akihito Attends 2009 Japan Prize Award Ceremony - Pictures - Zimbio

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko