Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 3: February 2013 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

On December 19 Emperor Akihito hosted a luncheon for the ministers at the Imperial Palace:

** Pic **

Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski and his wife met Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace on January 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

In presence of Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko the awards of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Ikushi Prize were handed out in Tokyo yesterday, March 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Former US-President Bill Clinton met with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace on March 18:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Mrs Obama looked very awkward. Cheap-looking silver shoes must be an American fashion trend. Mrs Abe is very feminine and perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not really understand why a very tall lady who is going to meet a couple of rather short persons in a highly press covered event, feels the need to appear taller by wearing high heels. I feel it almost a lack of respect. Same remark for Catherine Duchess of Cambridge, she appeared enormeous in front of the Japanese imperial couple. Flat ballerinas for both ladies would be lovely.
The only one who paid attention to these details and did not sacrifice to the beauties vanity god was Carla Bruni Sarkozy. Almost flat heeels to appear near her Presidential husband while visiting QEII.

There are various reports calling the encounter awkward, but I'm not so sure. We don't get a clear view of Mrs Obama's face, just side and back shots (not a very flattering angle for anyone, particularly after a little stumble). One report even said the Emperor "smiled awkwardly", but all I see is the Emperor and Empress smiling in their usual friendly way. In another photo everyone looks relaxed and happy.

I don't think Mrs Obama, or any other lady, meeting the Emperor and Empress should worry about how tall they will appear. It's a long time since the photo of General Douglas MacArthur towering over the Showa Emperor shocked the people of Japan, so they are probably used to such sights by now. Besides, Mrs Obama's heels probably only added a few centimetres to her height, so there was no way to avoid the marked difference in stature between the Emperor and his guest.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the fuss is about here, as far as I can see on video footage, Michelle simply tripped or stumbled and wasn't attempting a curtsey at all. Considering the heights of the Emperor and Empress, wearing heels or not, most people would be taller than them.

One thing I would say was strange was Mrs Obama stepping out of the car backwards - not seen that before!

I do not really understand why a very tall lady who is going to meet a couple of rather short persons in a highly press covered event, feels the need to appear taller by wearing high heels. I feel it almost a lack of respect. Same remark for Catherine Duchess of Cambridge, she appeared enormeous in front of the Japanese imperial couple. Flat ballerinas for both ladies would be lovely.
The only one who paid attention to these details and did not sacrifice to the beauties vanity god was Carla Bruni Sarkozy. Almost flat heeels to appear near her Presidential husband while visiting QEII.

Isn't she wearing kitten heels?

Today, April 8, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko departed for their first visit to the western Pacific island nation of Palau to remember those who died in World War II.

Crown Prince Naruhito, Prince Akishino and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe attended the farewell ceremony at Tokyo International Airport.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

Here is a brief article on the visit and what will take place during the visit. A reception will also be held.

A few more articles on the visit

Japan emperor visits former colony Palau on WWII mission
Yahoo news Singapore

Japan emperor heads for World War Two battlefield as war memories haunt Asia
reuters.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, these two I absolutely adore as royals. That couple really does make politics feel like it rests well at home when it comes to royals. I am glad they are looking well. Age suits grace well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom