What is your Opinion on Queen Margrethe II?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadySarah

Commoner
City
Toronto
Country
Canada
Hello. I'm LadySarah and I'm going to ask you for what's your thought about Queen Margrethe II? What do you think her personality and characteristic that probably different than any other Kings and Queens? And is her personality can be related to you?

My thoughts about her is that She's a jolly and humorous women. Even though she's old doesn't mean she has to be completely mature and live her own life in her own way. To be honest, I can relate myself to her personalities because I'm somewhat childish, even my youngest cousin is mature enough compare to me :ROFLMAO:

Now it's your turn to say about it :flowers:

Hello. I'm LadySarah and I'm going to ask you for what's your thought about Queen Margrethe II? What do you think her personality and characteristic that probably different than any other Kings and Queens? And is her personality can be related to you?

My thoughts about her is that She's a jolly and humorous women. Even though she's old doesn't mean she has to be completely mature and live her own life in her own way. To be honest, I can relate myself to her personalities because I'm somewhat childish, even my youngest cousin is mature enough compare to me :ROFLMAO:

Now it's your turn to say about it :flowers:

Hi LadySarah, welcome (belatedly) to the Forums!

I absolutely love Queen Margrethe and agree with you that she humorous and jolly. Her laugh is absolutely adorable and she presents as being good-natured and loving life.
I personally think she's a fantastic role model as a Queen in the sense that she takes her duties seriously but also makes time for her great passions: drawing and translating, among others.

BTW if you love jolly Queens look to Beatrix of the Netherlands. She's quite "childish" (in the best way, of course) too :flowers:

Hi LadySarah and welcome :flowers:

That's a big question!

For me I guess it can be boiled down to this:
I like and feel I can relate to QMII because she's an all-round personality. She has her faults and she has good traits. She has a silly and playful side and she has a serious and very dedicated side. - She's not afraid to admit her faults and that's always admirable but she also be stubborn.

Now she has reached the point where she really doesn't give a hoot about what people think. Like smoking.
She was once asked about the problem about her smoking and she retorted: "I don't have a problem about smoking". :lol:

She is human through and through.

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe

I have learnt about Her Majesty since Mary married into the family. I have the deepest respect for her as a monarch. I find she has managed to combine being modern and regal in the best possible way. I love the way she finds time to persue her artistic talents. I am grateful that she was welcoming to her daughter-in-law Mary and helped her settle in. And Marie also.
I just think she combines majesty with modern norms very well indeed. She also appears to have that special way to make her Heads of State guests feel at ease when they visit her country. I thinks Danes are very lucky to have her and her family who help support her. Especially her sister Benedikte who is often there as support and a good representative.
All my friends who are familiar with her feel the same way.
This is a lady who is never boring - on the contrary I find her very interesting indeed.
I think she is a good role model for so many. If I met her I would definately curtsey as a mark of respect.:)
I don't expect any monarch to be perfect in this media driven world, but for me she appears to give 100% in everything she does.
So as I said you Danes are very lucky to have her.:flowers: I also like Prince Henrik. I find him a jolly good fellow. [old English saying]
That is my opinion, cheers

Oh how I've waited for a question like this because I love Queen Margrethe II. Ever since I first saw her in Hello! Magazine years ago when they covered her silver wedding anniversary. I wondered for year how to pronounce her name properly and what she sounded like and have ever since been fascinated by her. I think the Danish monarchy is similar to the British one in terms of grandeur, tradition, ceremony etc and Queen Margrethe carries out her duties so well. But, she has an openly personal side to her life that she is not afraid to show: her wonderful paintings and the crafts she does. The fact that she sets aside an afternoon every Thursday to enjoy her past times and makes all sorts of things from decorated boxes to Christmas decorations. The fact that she enjoys ballet and designs costumes is wonderful. Her personalilty is friendly and straightforward, yet with a coquetish twist seen through the clothes she wears and a robust laugh. She is her father's daughter, no mistake.

I greatly admire her and recpect her.She is a smart,interesting,elegant and humorous woman.She is also very talented and hard working for her country.

She is a true Queen!

I respect Queen Margrethe and I admire how she has grown from an insecure, almost neurotic young woman to the confident, wise elderly monarch she is today. She's got her head screwed on and insists that she cannot be without her artistic and high brow pastimes!
On the down side I don't perceive her as particularly at ease with 'ordinary folk' unless they have a defined role in a royal visit. Allegedly small talk is not her strong point whereas she is said to enjoy a decent conversation on a subject which catches her fancy.

I just watched the first part of a DR (Radio Denmark) tribute documentary. It showed HM watching footage from important events in her reign, including one or two of a more private character. The Queen offered several self-deprecating remarks on statements from her various New Year's addresses to the nation. She talked enthusiastically about her Greenlandic dog-sleigh adventure she shared with CP Frederik in May 2011. She also said of Frederik that he was much better at connecting with people than she ever was.

IMO she has a complex character! On the one hand she is very regal and enjoys showing off the gala dresses and the royal pomp; her stature enables her to dwarf most dignitaries and fellow queens (regnant and consorts) most of whom can only offer their grander jewellery as their piece-de-resistance! . On the other hand she doesn't mind looking 'silly' in a pair of old trousers or dungarees and with her hair in braids with little red bows on!:whistling:.

She has a great understanding for other cultures, and while she's avoiding politically charged subjects like the plague, she doesn't make a virtue of being politically correct - a trait she shares with her distant cousin Prince Philip.

So in short: I respect her and admire her achievements. So far she's the best of the Glücksburg bunch! However on a personal level, I don't dream of being invited to tea - or any other beverage- at the palace!

viv

Last edited:
What can I say about our Queen ... she's definitely one of the things that makes me proud to be Danish. She's really a cool woman, intellectual and still incredibly funny. I always enjoy watching new documentaries or reading new articles about her, let alone her New Years speeches which I always watch with a great joy (especially the funny little things such as 'de dumsmarte bemærkninger').

I think one of the reasons why I have such a great admiration for her is that her personality is very much like mine (especially the big sister thing, I don't think I'd be awarded Best Older Sister of the Year anytime soon - also because of age difference that parts my sister and I).

I agree with the fact that she doesn't seem as down-to-earth as Crown Prince Frederik, but I don't think it's something she deliberately has chosen not to be, that must be insecurity.

I'm very proud of our Queen and I think she does a great job as a monarch :flowers:

She was once asked about the problem about her smoking and she retorted: "I don't have a problem about smoking". :lol:

LMAO! That's my kind of girl. I hate smoking snobs who want to make everyone else who smokes feel guilty about it.
I know little about Margrethe, but from what I do know she seems like a great and welcoming person to be around. From the little I know she appears to have succeeded at everything she attempts at life. She is one of the few Queen's who has balanced appearing regal and normal.

I love the Queen Margrethe. It's cheerful, does a good job for his country. His reign marks the difference.

She can smoke. They are her lungs. Frederick will be king sooner. She is a great gal and has great understanding of real life. She has done her job well.

I love Queen Margarethe. She's intelligent, talented, funny, and friendly. I think she's wonderful.

I have followed Queen Margrethe II for a long time. I have several books about her and have seen her three times, the last time was at Eidsvoll in Norway. She is very conservative and old-fashioned and she can seem a little cold, she runs the monarchy with an iron fist. Crown Prince Frederik told in a documentary that she gets annoyed if someone rises from the table before her during private dinners. She is not my favorite person, but I like her.

HM is also pragmatic,and unconventional.

Hence I applaud it that she Abdicates this January 14th.A wise decision,It Will anable the younger generation to proof their worth.

King Frederik X and Queen Mary Will do fine.As here with us in The Netherlands it is almost a tradition to Abdicate after three Monarchs doing so,a very wise tradition.

This ofcourse is a well prepared decision,foremost known to Frederik and Mary for quote some time now.

Long live Danmark!

A magnificent woman An erudite whose intellectual and cultural drive translated into genuine accomplishments. What a remarkable individual truly, that she managed to pursue her interests despite being a woman and a head of state is incredible . She knows who she is and wasn't afraid (although she's a nervous person) to show herself as she was. Perhaps that's the reason why after 52 years of reign she has remained so popular. The Danes must be so proud of having had a Queen who wasn't pretending to be a smart, interesting individual, she IS a smart, interesting individual. My favourite Royal.

I´m sure, as a non-pragmatist and traditionalist, I´m in the minority.... As such I strongly believe in the old principle of "The King is dead! Long live The King/ Queen!" and that monarchy, different from any other form of state, is a sacred institution which man cannot just reject if things become too heavy. I hope the underminig of this principle will not weaken the danish monarchy (The dutch monarchy, the most iconic one of the "abdicating monarchies", is not one of the most strongest and solid ones in europe these days...). Being monarch - or Pope - should not be an office to just put down and retire like the rest of us do!
Still I salute Qu. Margrethe for her great reign - the more of a pity she ends it before time.

LMAO! That's my kind of girl. I hate smoking snobs who want to make everyone else who smokes feel guilty about it.
I know little about Margrethe, but from what I do know she seems like a great and welcoming person to be around. From the little I know she appears to have succeeded at everything she attempts at life. She is one of the few Queen's who has balanced appearing regal and normal.
What other Queen still around exactly is not appearing regal and normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
My first memory of Queen MII was a small article in early 1970s in Reader's Digest. All I remember was she was praised for being so down to earth and friendly while not being afraid to be moving around the capital in her bicycle. And I recall the magazine had her article with a picture or her bicycling, too.
That made me think, as a kid myself then, she was the coolest royal I've ever heard of.

I’ve always liked Queen Margrethe. She is unconventional in many ways yet always dignified. I think this decision has been a long time coming actually and might be why the question of the change of titles for Pr Joachim’s children was announced this year.

I first remember seeing her at Fred and Mary's wedding singing loudly and proudly and just thought she was so different to the British royals. Since then I have admired her extensive wardrobe recycling, her artistic talent and knowledge - I remember her speaking in a documentary on the royal family etc. and she was very well-versed.

Wonderful person. We will miss her so much

Queen Margrethe is an intelligent woman and so I understand that it was time to pass the throne to a younger generation. But the abdication is really surprising and unexpected. But if we look at last year, we can see some signs that this was going to happen.

Queen Margrethe II is a grand lady with initiative.

Opinion

She was always true to her role as Queen of Denmark and did well to make her country stable. Not to mention, she's one of the 14 best monarchs I've seen throughout my lifetime. What else can I say? It's that she's won a spot in history even more prominent than her father, King Frederik IX of Denmark. However, I do hope her cousin King Carl XVI Gustaf has as long a reign as she does once it ends.

God bless Queen Margrethe.

Attachments

• Dronning_Margerethe_5_sep_2004.jpg
    Dronning_Margerethe_5_sep_2004.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 15
I watched a documentary on QMII a few years ago and was blown away by her intelligence. Her knowledge of Scandinavian history seemed almost encyclopedic and she is an artist as well. Very impressive.

But my most enduring memory of her as Queen of Denmark will always be the morning after the death of her husband Prince Henrik.

There was a crowd of press and citizens packed outside her home when she suddenly appeared outside. She was not dressed in mourning black. She was not dressed up at all in fact. She could have been any suburban housewife going out to pick up the morning newspaper.

But then suddenly she smiled and raised her arm in the direction of the crowd in a gesture that was half wave, and half salute.

And she turned and walked back inside without a word.

It was moving, simple and yet SO regal. I was in awe.

One of the most intellectual, creative and beloved monarch’s that has ever been..

Her ability to combine full majestic and regal appearance, with ”normal person appearance” is almost unique….

A Renaissance Woman. Intelligent and wise. Encyclopaedic knowledge about subjects such as archaeology, theology, politics, art, literature - and a lot more. Multilingual. An accomplished and acknowledged painter, illustrator, designer and translator etc. Regal, but not distanced. Principled, but not rigid. Approachable. Warmhearted. Caring. Wonderful sense of humor.
We'll ne'er see her like again, our Danish Gloriana. May the fates grant her a good, long time as our Regina Emeritus and a semi-private citizen. She's earned it!

I think she is a highly intelligent, competent, skilled Sovereign who has done alot of good for Denmark. I will say i think if she had one failure it is her family snd her role as Matriach. I don’t think she has prepared Fredrik enough nor instilled some of her skills in him. Her lack of warmth as mother and grandmother had come to bite her eg the issues around Joachim’s kids titles.

Now Mary will be Queen and Henrik remain Prince his whole life. He was so angry about that.
Alas she became Queen at 32 , to early they did not have a real family life.
I think Margrete and Henrik were happy but the Queen and Denmark gave him his Castle of Cayx , its wine , his jade collections etc..

Back
Top Bottom