The Family of Prince Henrik - The de Laborde de Monpezats

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the impression I had from my first perusal of the family tree was prosperity and attainment. This was reinforced when I looked up the definition of "pfarrer", which I should have done sooner. It means a sort of clergyman (for those who don't know:)) and is what the Hallbergs (the family of Prince Henrik's mother) were for generations. But going over it a second time, the family still has much less "snob appeal" than I would have thought. I always knew that their status as nobility was questioned, but I figured they were otherwise landed gentry. This, it turns out, is far from the case. It also makes their lineage much more interesting to me:)

Prince Henrik's grandfather

One of the French fencers in the 1896 Olympic Games was named Henri de Laborde. No other facts are known about this fencer. But it is very interesting that he has the same, somewhat rare name as Prince Henrik's grandfather and since the grandfather was born in 1868, he would have been at a reasonable age to have competed in 1896.

http://www.sports-reference.co.....rde-1.html

Since the 1896 Olympics were the first modern Olympics, they were not as famous as they are today. It wasn't until the 1936 Olympics that they became a major media event. As a result, many of the athletes who competed in the earlier Olympics considered them just another tournament and did not make a big deal about competing in them. Since the grandfather died in 1929, he could have competed but never mentioned it.

Is it known whether Prince Henrik's grandfather fenced? Any record of his traveling to Athens in 1896? There exists a picture that was taken of the French fencers at the 1896 Olympics but it is a group picture and they are not identified by name. Is there a picture of Henrik's grandfather, especially when he was in his 20s or 30s, that can be used to see if his face matches any faces in the picture of the French Olympic fencers?

One of the French fencers in the 1896 Olympic Games was named Henri de Laborde. No other facts are known about this fencer. But it is very interesting that he has the same, somewhat rare name as Prince Henrik's grandfather and since the grandfather was born in 1868, he would have been at a reasonable age to have competed in 1896.

http://www.sports-reference.co.....rde-1.html

Since the 1896 Olympics were the first modern Olympics, they were not as famous as they are today. It wasn't until the 1936 Olympics that they became a major media event. As a result, many of the athletes who competed in the earlier Olympics considered them just another tournament and did not make a big deal about competing in them. Since the grandfather died in 1929, he could have competed but never mentioned it.

Is it known whether Prince Henrik's grandfather fenced? Any record of his traveling to Athens in 1896? There exists a picture that was taken of the French fencers at the 1896 Olympics but it is a group picture and they are not identified by name. Is there a picture of Henrik's grandfather, especially when he was in his 20s or 30s, that can be used to see if his face matches any faces in the picture of the French Olympic fencers?

I don't think it's the same person, this ia a biography of Henri de Laborde de Monpezat, P.Henri's grandfather (download to PDF) http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=henri%20de%20laborde%20de%20monpezat%20indochine&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CEgQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.entreprises-coloniales.fr%2Finde-indochine%2FMonpezat_%2528DBOM%2529.pdf&ei=NWecVPnBOY_zatbzgMgB&usg=AFQjCNGxpJnInqJdALzAEFHFFe1e1xG3VA&sig2=KcsMYf18t4zeSE8L-9v_eg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s but there is no mention of fencing or of particpating at the olympic games in 1896 and 1900 (the fencer Henri de Laborde was in both)
Aside from that, the fencer is listed everywhere as "de Laborde" and never with a mention of "de Monpezat" which would be the name of P.Henri's grandfather.
There are more "de Laborde" families in France so it would be more likely that the fencer actually belongs to one of those families, but i haven't looked them up on the genealogy websites, so can't give a conclusive answer to that..

Last edited:
can someone provide info on the princes ancestry.

it is quite interesting that through his German grandmother Henriette Hallberg and her father dr.Eugen Hallberg Henrik has descended from some royal and noble families...

Through her Prince Henrik is a descendant of the House of Württemberg,albeit through illegitimate line...his ancestor Gaspard Forstmeister,known as the Moewer-Bastard was illegitimate son of Count Ulrich V von Württemberg(1413-1480) and his mistress Margarethe Moewer...

Through this line his is a descendant of King Philippe III of France(reigned from 1270-1285) and of Tommasina Morosini,wife of Pietro Grandenigo,49th Dodge of Venice which makes him also related to famous Bianca Cappello,second wife of Grand Duke Francesco Medici of Tuscany...

Apart from that he traces his ancestry from the noble houses like Schimd von Schmidsfelden,von Pleiningen,Schenk von Stauffenberg,von Ow,von Salmendingen,Ritter von Tieringen etc.

Through this line he is also related to Princess Grace of Monaco(Grace Kelly),as both being descendants of Elisabeth von Pleiningen-Göppingen who was a great-granddaughter of Konrad Schenk von Stauffenberg and his wife Adelheid von Ow...

This in turn makes him also a distant relative of the famous Count Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg(1907-1944),who plotted against Hitler.

For me it was very interesting to find such interesting facts and connections...

Last edited:
:previous: Sad. He was ill with cancer.

That's a surprise! :sad:

Sorry, there are so many things happening now that I can hardly keep up. Time for the news.

That's a surprise! :sad:

Sorry, there are so many things happening now that I can hardly keep up. Time for the news.
The announcement states that she was ill for a long period :sad:

Such sad news. Much strength for Henrik and his family
Im guessing his two events on Friday and Saturday will be canceled ?
September 11 2015H.K.H. Prince Consort participate in the celebration evening to mark the Danish Africa Society's 50th anniversary at. 18.00
September 12 2015H.K.H. Prince Consort participate in the Masterclass

His younger Brother Jean Baptiste de Monpezat has the same horrible illness.

Prince Henrik's family:
Françoise (Barzin (1931)
Etienne (1942)
Jean Baptiste (1943)
Catherine (Nun) (1947)
the late Maurille (1948)
This is very sad news.

Last edited by a moderator:
As expected the two events for Henrik on the 11th and 12th are no longer on the DRF calendar.
He does have an event today with Frederik that is still listed
"HRH Prince Consort and HRH The Crown Prince in the Royal Shooting Society and the Danish Brotherhood Kong Bird watching followed by lunch at Sølyst, Emiliekildevej 2 Klampenborg pm. 9.30."

a short article with a lovely picture of Henrik's family in 1998
http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/2015-09-08-prins-henriks-lillesoester-er-doed

Last edited:
Prinsgemalen til sin søsters begravelse | Billed Bladet

This afternoon Prince Henrik was present at his sister's funeral. Along with family and 500 other people.
PH was visibly very moved but composed at the funeral.

The picture is from 2004. - I don't like pictures of grieving people at funerals.

A BB video from the funeral. VIDEO: Prinsgemalen til sin søsters begravelse | Billed Bladet
At least they kept a respectful distance.

PH says in the video that he a couple of weeks ago had the opportunity to say farewell to his sister, she knew it was soon time to go.

A BB video from the funeral. VIDEO: Prinsgemalen til sin søsters begravelse | Billed Bladet
At least they kept a respectful distance.

PH says in the video that he a couple of weeks ago had the opportunity to say farewell to his sister, she knew it was soon time to go.

So Henrik went alone to the funeral?
I sorg efter søsterens død: Prins Henrik var alene i Frankrig for at sige et sidste farvel - Royale | www.bt.dk

Given Joachim is regent with QM in Canterbury, do we know where Frederik is?

Maybe to the summer party in Norway?

A close member of the Royal Family of Denmark could have come.

So Henrik went alone to the funeral?
I sorg efter søsterens død: Prins Henrik var alene i Frankrig for at sige et sidste farvel - Royale | www.bt.dk

Given Joachim is regent with QM in Canterbury, do we know where Frederik is?

Kuwait perhaps?

Yes, he did, since QMII was in Britain.

It's actually a good account from BT so I'll write a summary.

The funeral took place in the town/village of Albas not fra from Cayx.

He shook hands with the BT journalist and expressed delight that so many attended his sisters funeral.
But he hesitated at the sight of the stairs to the church: "I don't feel so well". But he proceeded slowly up the stairs.
It was very much his sister, Catherine, who is a nun, who take care of the funeral.
One of Maurille's many grandchildren read aloud: "I'm sad you've left so early, but I hope you are well in Paradise".

A son said: "We say thank you. Thank you for life. Thank you for you".

The ceremony lasted some two hours and that according to PH was a bit too much for him.

There is about a kilometer from the church to the ceremony, so PH drove ahead of the funeral procession and while waiting he spoke with members of the press.
He remarked to a friend: "She was younger than both of us".

"She said she would die in the days to come. She knew she was leaving".
Q: How are you?
PH: "Oh, you know how it is. - It's sad to lose a sibling".

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
:previous:I agree with you. I do not understand why the Joachim or Marie not accompanied the Prince in this difficult time for him :sad:

Its sad to see that Henrik is attending alone. QM was in Canterbury but one of his sons or daughters in law could have attended with him. F&M were in Norway at a summer party and Marie obviously had better things to do (Joachim was regent but Benedicte could have taken over).
He attended with his brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces. He wasn't alone.

Brother and Sisters ,certainly had wife, husbands and Children with them.

Princess Marie should have support him even for helping to walk.

Nobody from Henriks family, his wife or children with in-laws attended, that's a shame.

quite interesting everyone is behind marie. The world will stop if one doesnt attend a summer party on learning of aunts death, doesnt it..

why is everyone behind Marie? I mentioned in my post that Fred or Joachim (with somebody else being regent) could have gone, or of course Mary or Marie. Somebody from QM's side could have attended. Marie is even worse because there was no (official) event or function for her like the other family members had.

I think it was a family decision with Henrik's approval. As this was a long illness and they knew she was dying, they might have gone to see her beforehand.
The funeral could have been on Saturday for the Queen to attend.
Benedikte could have been regent for Joachim to attend.
I think the summer party was more than a simple party. It looks like a gathering of the heir's that they have done for years.
I don't think anyone is "blaming" Marie. She had no public events and she has never seem to go to family events without Joachim .

I think if Henrik wanted someone there they would have gone. They seem to listen to his wishes.

Well, she wasn't only Henrik's sister, she was also the Queen's sister in law and most importantly Fred and Joachim's aunt. One would think that they would have wanted to attend even if their father wasn't there.
But then, the Queen is in the UK, Fred is partying in Norway (we can call it a "heirs reunion" but I highly doubt they're discussing matters of vital importance), Joachim has to be regent (because the gods forbid, the King of Sweden might take advantage of the absence of the royal family, cross the Oresund and occupy Denmark!) and Benedikte might have her business to look after in Germany. I mean, there's a reason behind every member's absence (except for Marie), but none strong or reasonable enough to miss out the funeral of such a close relative.
It looks odd and bad, can't help looking at it this way.

:previous: there is no reason to mock the Drf's regency rules. It's part of their protocol .

We can't really judge a family 's decision . I have no doubt that it was Henrik that was alright with these decisions . :flowers:

The drf published the heir's photo so it must have been important in someway to show. And no doubt with the Queen's approval

Back
Top Bottom