Queen Margrethe's New Years Speeches 1972 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Margrethe's speech is very impressive, especially the fact that she delivers it live. A remarkable woman. :)

I didn't know she delivers it live - that would be so much more nervewracking!

Typically, I couldn't find the speech live on the internet, but it's great to see the you-tube above and the translation - thanks so much! It really is very impressive that QM2 does it live every year and she always has much to say. She does look lovely and Denmark must surely be very proud of their queen!

i was impressed the queen does her speech live. in spain, it is recorded.

I love her new year speeches.. Always so optimistic, and that is the only time of year she can almost be political, and point fingers of the stupid Danes :p

I loved the year she said we were entering 2008, when in fact it was 2009..

Lovely and meaningful words from Queen Margrethe that inspire and comfort.

For some reason, I cannot get the google translate to work: (

Has the Queen ever tried using a teleprompter instead of reading from cards?

:D I doubt the Queen who dislikes email, mobile phones and 'modern technology' would be interested in using a teleprompter. Not when there is plenty of paper around for her to use ;)

I just rewatched the 'Kongehuset Indefra' documentary last week, and there was a piece at the end about the Queen's New Year's speeches. The filmcrew sets up two cameras each year, one as a back-up in case the main camera fails during the live broadcast - they can easily cut directly to the second recording.

Has the Queen ever tried using a teleprompter instead of reading from cards?
The TV-people has suggested it to her, but she rejected. She likes the fact that she reads out form the paper and look directly into the living rooms in Denmark, just if she was sitting in front of us IRL.

Now that´s a new one (IIRC) for the speech to be translated into English :)

This year's speech was phenomenal. A loving reprimand from QMII to us Danes. "It is true that Denmark is a small country, but we must take care not to become a small-minded country". And she's right in every way. I really like how she mentioned the Danish Jews during WW2 and how Danes stood together back then - "... differences must not be allowed to prevent us from helping our neighbours and fellow countrymen – from person to person". A truly grand speech - QMII is such a wonderful badass.

The little mistakes she made were lovely as well. I'd rather have a Queen who makes a few mistakes here and there in a live broadcast, than have it pre-recorded. Seems much more genuine this way - I think a lot of us mortal people would choke up in the words too - and I love how she could just laugh and smile about it.

And finally, last year I was desperately looking for the New Years speech in English and it was nowhere to be found, so I'm stoked to find that they have put it out on kongehuset.dk this year.

Agree, she nailed it this year.

The IMO most common ailiment in DK right now is "at have ondt i røven = your arse hurts" (Pardon my bluntness, but that's the expression), meaning that someone is petty.
- Surely if I can't have what someone else is having, then no one should have it, - even I'm so fortunate I don't need it.
That unfortunately common attitude, spurred on by certain contemptously politicians (a certain former athlete springs to mind...) is not something I admire!
So QMII's swipe against pettyness was met with glee by me.

As usual all experts and a number of people who are not... have been asked to analyze QMII's speech. The tendency is clearly that this was one of her better speeches and she has been praised.
One rhetoric pointed out that QMII by mentioning people who are lonely is a nod to Mary's work, thus positioning her even more for her future role as queen. The royal expert Lars Hovbakke Sørensen counted that with a "cool it now", QMII has always mentioned social and humanitarian work without more having to be derived from that.

Agree, she nailed it this year.

The IMO most common ailiment in DK right now is "at have ondt i røven = your arse hurts" (Pardon my bluntness, but that's the expression), meaning that someone is petty.
- Surely if I can't have what someone else is having, then no one should have it, - even I'm so fortunate I don't need it.
That unfortunately common attitude, spurred on by certain contemptously politicians (a certain former athlete springs to mind...) is not something I admire!
So QMII's swipe against pettyness was met with glee by me.

As usual all experts and a number of people who are not... have been asked to analyze QMII's speech. The tendency is clearly that this was one of her better speeches and she has been praised.
One rhetoric pointed out that QMII by mentioning people who are lonely is a nod to Mary's work, thus positioning her even more for her future role as queen. The royal expert Lars Hovbakke Sørensen counted that with a "cool it now", QMII has always mentioned social and humanitarian work without more having to be derived from that.

Article about it here:

Retoriker: Dronningen ruller rød løber ud foran Mary | Information

Translated: Google Oversæt

I agree, a really good New Year's speech from Margrethe (although I didn't get to hear it all with a baby on my arm who doesn't think the speech was particularly interesting :whistling:) And as Archduchess Zelia says, I really like the sentence "It is true that Denmark is a small country, but we must take care not to become a small-minded country".
We are fortunate to live in a country like Denmark, and yet we are probably one of the nations who complain us the most.

Her Majesty is without doubt a Great Lady and a Grand Queen who is still able to be a little down to earth as well. I have the greatest respect for her and always look forward to this time of year to see her at her best. You Danes are very lucky to have her and long may she reign.

Her Majesty The Queen delivers the New Year Address at Fredensborg Palace this year.

(...)

This year, The Queen gives the New Year Address from Fredensborg Palace, where The Queen and The Prince Consort have residence due to the renovation of the roof at Christian IX’s Palace, Amalienborg.

The New Year Address was previously delivered at Fredensborg Palace in 1979 and 1980, when Christian IX’s Palace was also under renovation.

New Year Address 2014 - The Danish Monarchy

QMII will give her New Year speech tonight at 18.00, as usual with half the population watching.

BT has a number of pics over the now many speeches she has made during her reign: http://www.bt.dk/danmark/se-billederne-inden-aftenens-tale-dronningens-nytaarstaler-fra-1972-2013

For once this years speech will be held and aired live from Fredensborg due to renovations at Amalienborg.

What happens is that in mid-November the PM's office send the court a draft with suggestions about topics the Queen can talk about.
QMII in co-operation with her advisers outline a speech and in the days before Christmas it is polished and finished before being send to the PM's office for final approval. (Just in case it should be politically controversial or contain factual errors and such). When the speech has been approved it will be send out to the media so that they can prepare articles and text the speech for the TV-audience.
I understand QMII does not use a teleprompter, she prefer to rely on sheets of papers. Perhaps that will change once Frederik becomes king?

Notice the Elton Johns she was wearing in 1986.

Last edited:
She speaks from Fredensborg Palace tonight, because of renovations at Amalienborg Palace. I'm watching it live on tv2. I'm in Norway, so I get access to Danish channels.

IIRC, it can also be seen live (regardless of where in the world you are) on DR. I could be wrong though but if I am, then I'm sure DR will upload it to their on-demand site first thing.

And the speech has been put on DR's on-demand site, for those who are interested.

The speech was really great (as always). She looked ravishing in purple, the setting of Fredensborg Palace was beautiful and she looked so proud when she spoke of both the Crown Princely family's trip to Greenland as well as Prince Henrik's birthday celebrations. I might take a moment to reflect on it tomorrow when the New Years celebrations are over.

Happy New Years to all! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the pictures and links! My New Year's Eve is now complete! To me, Queen Margarethe always looks her most beautiful, serene and magical when she is making her address.

Wow they are very large black pearls. Not sure which brooch this is.

What a lovely speech (although of course I had to follow the English text), I do love that Margarethe's speech is live as it does allow us to see her natural reaction to what she is saying and I loved the glance or possible annoyance when someone dropped something/moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom