Queen Margrethe's Birthday: April 16 (2003-2019, 2021 - 2024)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tidbits from article in Billed Bladet #17, 2014.
Written by Ken Richter.

In fact Ken Richter has covered the majority of the royal articles this week and as said before Ken Richters reports what he observes, no more, no less.

PH arrived shortly before noon at Marselisborg, he had been to fitness.
At 11.15 Joachim and our Marie arrived with bette Henrik, Nikolai and Felix. Athena stayed home with her nanny, she will ill, the poor thing.
At 11.35 the CP couple arrived with their substancial family and a nanny. Holding in her hand a couple of presents. (*)

After the changing of the guards at noon, the Regent Couple emerged and stayed alone on the terrace for quite a long while. People were beginning to be impatient, but finally the rest of the family milled out. The youngst in front taking the best seats on the benches. Wawing away.
In contrast to what happens at Amalienborg, the family remained on the terrace/patio/balcony whatever for a full fifteen minutes, so no encores.

It was a very short celebration. Joachim and co left after three hours and shortly after that M&F left.

Our reporter noticed the cool overview Christian had and also that Joachim measured the height of Nikolai. He is now reaching to the nose of dad.

Attention is fine, but it can be a little too much, or so Josephine apparently thought. She wanted mother to carry her and from the comfort there she continued to wave.

After a while the Regent Couple again emerged to wave at the last diehard royal watchers - and reporters who were still in the otherwise empty park.

For the first time Bella's birthday fell as the family went on Easter vacation in Trend. Usually Christian's birtday fall in week #42, which is the Autumn Holiday for the schools, and that's also when the family depart for Trend. So her birthday was celebrated deep in the woods this year.

(*) Which looks to me like a couple of CD's. It's no secret that QMII is not exactly tech-minded and an iPod may not be her thing, but a CD I guess is something she can figure out.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Even if Prince Henrik has decided to appear, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he will change his mind on the day. I hope he does make an appearance, though. He and the Queen aren't getting any younger. There might not be too many more opportunities (though I hope they both live to be 100.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Am in Copenhagen for holiday now. Other than the balcony appearance, is there any other event schedule for HM's birthday where I could see the royal family?

Am in Copenhagen for holiday now. Other than the balcony appearance, is there any other event schedule for HM's birthday where I could see the royal family?

Don't think so. :)

But you might wish to bring an umbrella and a raincoat, because it's going to be rainy tomorrow.
And if you are wise you'll team up with a couple of grandparents with grandchild(ren) aged 6-8. They'll probably know where the good spots are, what happens and when to move forward when the police allow the public to come closer to the balcony. (There has to be room for the guards detachment and the music corps to enter the square). ;)

Perhaps a couple of our local TRF members will be there as well?

Muhler!! "And if you are wise you'll team up with a couple of grandparents with grandchild(ren) aged 6-8. They'll probably know where the good spots are" when ever i came to Copenhagen and is the Birhday of Queen I'll keep it in mind!!

Don't think so. :)

But you might wish to bring an umbrella and a raincoat, because it's going to be rainy tomorrow.
And if you are wise you'll team up with a couple of grandparents with grandchild(ren) aged 6-8. They'll probably know where the good spots are, what happens and when to move forward when the police allow the public to come closer to the balcony. (There has to be room for the guards detachment and the music corps to enter the square). ;)

Perhaps a couple of our local TRF members will be there as well?

Haha..thanks for the good advice. Never think of that, will sure to go look around for grandparents!! Went to Rosenborg Castle today and couldn't bear to leave the Crown Jewels!! I specially planned my trip around this date for the Queen's birthday and thereafter going to Netherlands for the King's Day celebration to see the Dutch royals too.

The Queens birthday always attracts such lovely crowds,pity the weather will be wet for the balcony event.

Haha..thanks for the good advice. Never think of that, will sure to go look around for grandparents!! Went to Rosenborg Castle today and couldn't bear to leave the Crown Jewels!! I specially planned my trip around this date for the Queen's birthday and thereafter going to Netherlands for the King's Day celebration to see the Dutch royals too.

:)

I hope you'll tell us about your impressions. And also from the Netherlands.
Member-accounts are often much better than the media, because members focus on other things.

New Gallup

Is this the right thread to post this in?

On the occasion of Queen Margrethe's birthday today BT has commissioned a new GALLUP survey about the Danish royal family's popularity.

Online article (only part of the original article)
Dronning Margrethes sorte år: Så hårdt har det været

Again Crown Princess Mary and Crown Princess Frederik (almost side by side) tops the list with Queen Margrethe right behind them.

But BT can tell that Prince Henrik with the choice he has made the last year has damaged not only his own but also Queen Margrethe's popularity. Actually, the entire Danish royal family has decreased a bit in popularity the last year.

Is it because of Henrik? I have tend to believe it. All this creates a unrest and a instability in the DRF and it compromising the entire royal family. I hope this unrest subsides soon. So Margrethe can continue to do her very good work in peace. Otherwise I think (as many other Danes are expressing a lot on social media these months) that it's maybe time to let Frederik and Mary take over. It will give peace and stability. And it is needed IMO.

How would you generally rate the royal family's effort to represent Denmark? On a scale from 1-5?

1. Crown Princess Mary (4.49)
2. Crown Prince Frederik (4.39)

3. Queen Margrethe (4.21)

4. Princess Marie (3.45)
5. Prince Joachim (3.25)

6. Prince Henrik (2.77)

The Gallup survey has been made at the 12th April 2016.

Attachments

• Gallup undersøgelse (April 2016).jpg
    Gallup undersøgelse (April 2016).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Lovely pictures of all the family on the balconies, and it's good to see Henrik (who seems to have lost some weight) there too.

I must admit I'm very relieved to see PH on the balcony today. :)

The Gallup survey is interesting.

Apart from PH, the figures are pretty good, - for all of them.
As for J&M there figures are pretty consistent.
That M&F are so high up is hardly news. And that says a lot in itself.

I think it does reflect a general opinion that people believe M&F are ready to take over - in full.
That however is very much contributed to QMII, because she allows M&F to shine.
Success breeds success.

ADDED:

BB writes that PH got an extra cheer when he appeared. http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/storsmilende-dronning-paa-balkonen
I guess we were quite a few who were concerned he wouldn't be there.

It's good to see that Mademoiselle Athena has become more forward. But it helps to have a long-haired big brother right behind you...

ADDED Once more:

BT express the concern more directly in this gallery: Prince Henrik showed up to celebrate Margrethe: http://www.bt.dk/royale/se-billederne-prins-henrik-dukkede-op-for-at-fejre-margrethe

Last edited:
That M&F are so high up is hardly news. And that says a lot in itself.

I think it does reflect a general opinion that people believe M&F are ready to take over - in full.
That however is very much contributed to QMII, because she allows M&F to shine.
Success breeds success.

Is it? If they didn't do a good job, they wouldn't shine even if she allowed them to do so...

Thanks to all who posted those lovely pictures. It was wise of PH to appear with his wife, and they're color-coordinated, too! The picture of QM with all her grandchildren is especially nice. Felix's face is becoming more mature, he's losing his little-boy look. Josephine is wearing a bracelet; I wonder if it's the traditional fifth birthday bracelet that girls in the DRF receive. A genetically-blessed family, to be sure :)

Is it? If they didn't do a good job, they wouldn't shine even if she allowed them to do so...

You have to learn to swim, before you become a proficient swimmer.

If they were suddenly thrown into the job, they are likely to make lots of mistakes. They don't because QMII took them under her wings and allowed them to learn and develop.

Happy birthday to Daisy :flowers:

I love the pictures. Especially the one with her and all of her grandchildren. Wow Christian is almost as tall as Felix is. Happy to see Henrik came and was with his wife. They all looked happy and good.

I especially like the photos of Isabelle and Josephine :p

We have a very enthusiastic waver in Josephine.
Vincent less so, there are no cows to yell at... Not until tomorrow, when it's ECO-day and the cows are on grass. With a little bit of luck the DRF children will be out there somewhere.

Isabella is developing into a little lady and Athena obviously think this waving thing is fun.

A good day and no rain it seemed.

Happy Birthday to Her Majesty. What a lot of lovely happy family photos. I especially love the ones of QMII with all her (enthusiastically waving) Grandchildren.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Great results from the poll for the Queen ,Crown Prince and Crown Princess.The Queen's birthday is one of my favourite events and great to see all the family present.

Back
Top Bottom