Queen Margrethe's Birthday: April 16 (2003-2019, 2021 - 2024)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen looked very happy and in good spirits. However she looked quite frail and fragile.

It was great seeing the whole family put on a united front. Isabella looks more and more like her father as time passes.

It was refreshing to see the Queen surrounded by her family and smiling again. I am happy they were able put their differences aside to, at least, celebrate her birthday, her recovery from surgery and her return to her duties. I hope more reconciliation will come in the future with concessions from both the Queen and Prince Joachim. Perhaps shrinking the monarchy is not a good idea. As the UK is finding out, they need more working royals.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of today - birthday girl Margrethe with Benedikte, Frederik and Mary:

** anp gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

Billedbladet pictured articles:

Looks they have champagne waiting for them in the background!
Nice to see the King and Queen present with queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte.

Now that she’s no longer reigning it seems her celebration curse has trickled down to minor events.

I hope somebody gets her an extra cake or something; the historical damage must be very sad for her.

Nice to see all 4. Margrethe's first birthday as non monarch in over 50 years. Im glad Frederik and Mary went to celebrate and as always Benedikte. It looked like a nice sunny day.
a few more galleries.

Makes sense that the concert was cancelled due to the fire.

The DRF has posted on their IG account

And from the DRF Facebook page

And lovely reception for King Frederik and Queen Mary as they arrived together. Nice shades Frederik.

Still a very public celebration for the former queen. Of course, it is at a different scale than when she was still the reigning monarch but most abdicated monarchs in other countries have no public celebration at all (sometimes with the exception of milestone birthdays).

Still a very public celebration for the former queen. Of course, it is at a different scale than when she was still the reigning monarch but most abdicated monarchs in other countries have no public celebration at all (sometimes with the exception of milestone birthdays).

We'll see if its celebrated the same way next year, maybe because it's the first birthday after the abdication?
I liked this scaled down birthday at Fredensborg Slots, I think the locals appreciated the appearance.

Back
Top Bottom