Queen Margrethe's Birthday: April 16 (2003-2019, 2021 - 2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I send a many birthday wishes to queen margarethe who is celebrating her 71st
Happy birthday your majesty!

oh, great, another party for the danish royal family!!!!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #16, 2011.
Margrethe blev fejret med sang - Margrethe was celebrated with singing.
Written by Ken Richter.

If I remember correctly, the Regent Couple arrived in Aarhus late Friday evening in time for celebrating QMII's birthday Saturday.
It was a quiet birthday, with them was only Peter Parkov, the very close friend of the Regent Couple. He was incidentally also in the church at the christening.
Despite the day being chilly and windy and despite there being no grandchildren around, 5.000 locals had nevertheless showed up. And as always they could get pretty close to the terrace outside Marselisborg, where the Regent Couple stood.
QMII to was cheered and both "Happy Birthday" and the childrens birthday song were heard.
A few Australian flags were observed as well. Aarhus has a large university and with Australians all over the planet, it's no wonder some of them have found their way to Aarhus as well.

It's five years since QMII last celebrated her birthday at Marselisborg. The Regent Couple will stay there during Easter. QMII is a frequent attendee at services at Aarhus Catherdral. (*)

As usual the Royal Lifeguard and regimental band had turned out in gala uniforms, delighting the locals. Because conscript guardsmen from predominantly Aarhus or eastern Jutland are especially selected to stand guard at Marselisborg

(*) The Cathedral goes back to right after the Reformation in the 1530's. Another church or rather cathedral, Vor Frue Kirke = The Church of Our Lady, goes back to the late Viking Age, but that church was of course Chatolic, and I guess they wanted a new beginning.

Last edited:
I feel rather sadd that no family members showed up to honor the Queen

QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY ON 16 APRIL 2012​

On the occasion of Her Majesty the Queen's birthday on Monday 16 April 2012 shows the royal family on the balcony, Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg, at. 12.00.

The Royal Guard pulls up in a red dress uniform.

Gratulationslister will be available at the Yellow Palace, Amaliegade 18, at the time. 10.00 to 14.00 on the day.​
Source: kongehuset.dk

Glad to hear that she'll be in Copenhagen this year, I'll definitely show up at Amalienborg.

Queen's Birthday - 16 April

I'll be in Copenhagen and plan to go to Amalienborg to see the royal family on the balcony at noon. To our Danish friends who've been their before - how early do I need to be at the palace to get a good spot?? (and would it bee in poor taste to wave a Canadian flag and a Danish flag???)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be in Copenhagen and plan to go to Amalienborg to see the royal family on the balcony at noon. To our Danish friends who've been their before - how early do I need to be at the palace to get a good spot?? (and would it bee in poor taste to wave a Canadian flag and a Danish flag???)

It's probably a good idea to come at least an hour before.
Not sure where you should stand, because the police will cordon off a part of the square prior to the relieving guards parade arriving. So that the soldiers can move about.
Shortly before noon part of the cordon will be lifted, so that the well wishers can move closer to the palais.
So you'l have to stand in the right place and move fast, when the time comes. :)
And you bring the Canadian flag (Does it have a name?) and wave it until your arm goes numb. - QMII said in a recent interview that she does notice foreign flags in the crowd and that she finds that it adds to the festive mood. So :canflag2:

Muhler said:
It's probably a good idea to come at least an hour before.
Not sure where you should stand, because the police will cordon off a part of the square prior to the relieving guards parade arriving. So that the soldiers can move about.
Shortly before noon part of the cordon will be lifted, so that the well wishers can move closer to the palais.
So you'l have to stand in the right place and move fast, when the time comes. :)
And you bring the Canadian flag (Does it have a name?) and wave it until your arm goes numb. - QMII said in a recent interview that she does notice foreign flags in the crowd and that she finds that it adds to the festive mood. So :canflag2:

Thank you sooooo much!!! Very helpful! This will totally be one of the highlights of my trip, just being around the crowds, cheering and taking in the whole atmosphere will be fun - to get a good spot would be the cherry on top!!

The Canadian flag does have a name - the Maple Leaf! So I will proudly wave the Maple Leaf beside the Danish flag in front of the palace!! (does the Danish flag have a name?? - horray for learning!! LOL)

Does the Queen and the Prince Consort do a walkabout in front of the palace as well as appear on the balcony? Sorry for the questions! I just found out I will be in Copenhagen during her birthday celebrations, so kinda excited to be there and see what happens!!

It sure has. It's called :daneflag: Dannebrog and dates back to 1219.

The DRF will not do a walkabout. But they will appear on the balcony a few times. Encouraged by the crowd shouting: "Dronning, Dronning, kom nu frem ellers går vi aldrig hjem = Queen, Queen, come on out or we'll never go home".
And the children will be there. Including, we may hope, the little Piaf for the first time.

Wave the Maple Leaf as best as you can and make your fellow Canadians proud. :canflag2:
We may even spot you in the pics on that day, after all the Maple Leaf is not that common a sight at Amalienborg.

Thank you sooooo much!!! Very helpful! This will totally be one of the highlights of my trip, just being around the crowds, cheering and taking in the whole atmosphere will be fun - to get a good spot would be the cherry on top!!

The Canadian flag does have a name - the Maple Leaf! So I will proudly wave the Maple Leaf beside the Danish flag in front of the palace!! (does the Danish flag have a name?? - horray for learning!! LOL)

Does the Queen and the Prince Consort do a walkabout in front of the palace as well as appear on the balcony? Sorry for the questions! I just found out I will be in Copenhagen during her birthday celebrations, so kinda excited to be there and see what happens!!

Thanks, Iceflower, Marika86 & Fairy Tale :flowers:

Notice how Nikolai is holding bette Henrik's hand. That's a sweet touch.

Last edited:
Thank you Iceflower and fairy tale. I loved these photographs. Queen Margrethe certainly seems to be enjoying her day. I do like her coat.

Very beautiful photos! The Queen must be a proud grandmother, all these children are adorable!! :flowers:

Thank you for all the lovely pictures, Marika86, iceflower and fairy tale! :flowers:
The whole family looks very happy and content, and the children are simply adorable.
I just love this picture of the three brothers: so sweet. And how cute does the little Princess look? :wub:

Happy Birthday to the Queen!!! I hope she & her family have an amazing day!

Muhler said:
Thanks, Iceflower, Marika86 & Fairy Tale :flowers:

Notice how Nikolai is holding bette Henrik's hand. That's a sweet touch.

Muhler,
Just wanted to thank you for your advice! I got to Amalienborg at 10:30 and it worked out perfectly! I couldn't have got closer - front and center!! Got some great pics of everyone, I even have one of Frederick looking at me!! The gaurds paraded around and they stoped right in front of where I was too!! The crowds were great, and the people I talked to were so friendly! They asked where I was from and the gentleman who was with his granddaughter told me which palace was Frederick and Mary's, and pointed out which direction to move when the time came!

Oh and bonus!! After lunch I went to Rosenborg and the Queen and Prince Henrik were there too!! Got some close pictures there too!!

Happy Birthday to Her Majesty, many happy returns! The family is a thing of beauty!

Muhler,
Just wanted to thank you for your advice! I got to Amalienborg at 10:30 and it worked out perfectly! I couldn't have got closer - front and center!! Got some great pics of everyone, I even have one of Frederick looking at me!! The gaurds paraded around and they stoped right in front of where I was too!! The crowds were great, and the people I talked to were so friendly! They asked where I was from and the gentleman who was with his granddaughter told me which palace was Frederick and Mary's, and pointed out which direction to move when the time came!

Oh and bonus!! After lunch I went to Rosenborg and the Queen and Prince Henrik were there too!! Got some close pictures there too!!

That's great. :)
I'm glad you had the best seat in the house.
I trust you waved the Maple Leaf as best as you could.

Please tell us more about your impressions.
First hand accounts from members are always better than reading about it in magazines.
The Marble Room at Rosenborg was inaugurated today. The renovation was paid for by the late Mærsk McKinney. I presume you were standing outside?

Very nice to see the whole family. All the children are growing but especially the twins look so grown up!

Muhler said:
That's great. :)
I'm glad you had the best seat in the house.
I trust you waved the Maple Leaf as best as you could.

Please tell us more about your impressions.
First hand accounts from members are always better than reading about it in magazines.
The Marble Room at Rosenborg was inaugurated today. The renovation was paid for by the late Mærsk McKinney. I presume you were standing outside?

Well, as for my impressions...at Amalienborg the crowds were loud and boistrous! The ladies around me would call out to the kids and talked about the latest addition on the balcony!! (The kids drew just as many cheers as HM!) We were all excited when we saw Joachim and Marie drive by on their way inside the palace as we could tell the baby was in tow! We were all waving our flags and cheering loudly every time the family came out. Yes, I waved the Maple Leaf and Dannebrog as best I could! - kind of a tricky proposition when trying to snap pics!! In the end, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Like I said, nice, friendly people around - made for a lovely, memorable afternoon for this Canadian!!

As for seeing the Royal Couple later, yes, I was outside. I just got into Rosenborg and noticed the royal car. I saw a group of photographers come out and asked a lady standing nearby who was inside and she told me that it was the Queen and Prince Henrik. We waited around for 30 minutes or so - not a big crowd mind you ( i think 10 or so maybe?). Every time the door opened, we would all gasp in anticipation, and then groan when it was not them. We all laughed every time it happened!!. When they did emerge, we all wished HM a happy birthday. She waved as they drove off (i think) and I high tailed it back to my hotel to warm up - it was cold in the wind and shade!!!

I've noticed such respect and restraint towards the royal family at Rosenborg. We all stood at the edge of the pavemement on the grass, no one needed to tell us to stand back or anything - it didn't look like there was anyone to do so as a matter of fact! (though there probably was!) Seemed kinda surreal almost.

Sorry to ramble on! Was a heck of a day!

Happy Birthday to Queen Margrethe!

It was so nice to see the family! Nikolai and Felix are both getting to be so grown-up, and are definitely going to be heartbreakers soon. Both are really good-looking young men. Little Henrik is adorable, but the poor little boy is at the awkward phase of being too small to see over the balcony railing, so it was hard to see him! I wonder why Joachim didn't hold him- maybe he's at the stage where he wants to be a big boy and do everything himself! The Little Princess is so sweet, and I can't wait to find out her name!

Christian and Isabella are really growing up a lot as well, and both seem to be great big siblings. I can't believe how much the twins have grown, and how much hair that they have! They're looking less like babies and more like small people! Josephine looks like she'll probably have a good sense of humor someday, and Vincent's going to be really, really good-looking, although he really does need a haircut :)

Oh such wonderful pictures, I had been hoping to see a video or two from the balcony scene on Danish television, but quite understandably all the news programs are filled with the sad passing of Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller.

It's great to see all the grandchildren on the balcony, had not expected (the incredibly adorable) little sleeping beauty (that nickname just doesn't seem to work anymore) to come along. The twins have grown so much since last time we saw them! Margrethe looked so happy to be surrounded by her lovely family on her big day.

Back
Top Bottom