Queen Margrethe's Annual Press Conference & Holidays In Cahors: 2003-2009, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from the last number of "novella 2000" italian magazine. http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x35/noirfabi/scansione0001-7.jpg Margrethe of Denmark:poor queen.in his sweet country,Denmark,the loved queen Margrethe II is famous also for is parsimony,confirmed by herself words:<i have a life like a mouse of library>.and in fact the noble is looked in france,to the chaors'saturday market (near to caix,where the husband henri de laborde de monpezat has a castel with a vineyard) with always the same shirt and skirt...ok the minimal style but everything has a limit!

He is wearing a gold chain round his neck :D
her sandels are also very unflattering, she is not as chique as Sofia

many men wear a gold chain around their neck, i thought it was quite common.

What a nice day out for her! Good to see that she can have some normal time for herself.

This is not a nice day out for the Queen. She does actually do a lot of the shopping herself, when she is a Cayx. I have been to that market "with" the Queen a few times and I know she thoroughly enjoys tasting the cheese, the olives etc. etc., before she makes her purchase. And then the Lady-In-Waiting slides up with the purse and pays!

Here's a link to video of this year's news conference from France 24 (it's in English).

She has a lovely voice -- soft, but cultured (and not what you'd expect from an enthusiastic smoker!) The slight hesitation in the way she talks reminds me a little of Prince Charles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbS_HjZoz8

I mean no disrespect but why doesn't the Queen get her teeth fixed? I have seen pictures of her when she was younger and she looked quite pretty, what happened? Again, I mean no disrespect but just curious.

The state of her teeth is due to her smoking which has discoloured them. Let that be a warning to any would be smoker out there!

Here's a link to video of this year's news conference from France 24 (it's in English).

She has a lovely voice -- soft, but cultured (and not what you'd expect from an enthusiastic smoker!) The slight hesitation in the way she talks reminds me a little of Prince Charles.

Thanks for the clip. I had never heard HM speak before, and for her to do so in English was fantastic! :)
It was interesting the things that they picked up on for the news story.

Last edited:
I didn't know where to put this comment but I was wondering, when are they going to do their annual family photo shoot?

:previous: There usually isn't a Christmas photo shoot with the DRF. It has only happened once in the last half a dozen years, in 2006 when the Queen, her two sisters and ALL their children and grandchildren were gathered at Fredensborg for a big family Christmas.

We will, however, probably see QMII&PH + F&M + J&M at the Christmas church services

according to this article, the Queen and Prince have cancelled their annual press conference at Caix. They held a press conference every year.

Translated article
Original article

That's sort of odd - anybody has any ideas why? The university professor quoted clearly doesn't like it, and I can see his point, but I feel like there must be more of a reason other than "we decided to take a step back from the people."

That's sort of odd - anybody has any ideas why? The university professor quoted clearly doesn't like it, and I can see his point, but I feel like there must be more of a reason other than "we decided to take a step back from the people."

That seems like an odd reason. Margrethe and Henrik have always seemed like people, people if you excuse the expression, they have never seemed like guarded people. I wouldn't be happy if I was that professor. :nonono:

Maura724, the regent couple gave no reason(s) for canceling the press conference. Professor Klaus Kjøller is the one who said, "I can only interpret the cancellation as a step away from the people."

Yes, that's what seems so odd - they're not really the type to take "a step away from the people."

Perhaps prince Henrik (the Prince Consort) is ill. He did not seem himself yesterday at the christening. He usually likes talking to the press about his grand children. :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
The annual press conference they have each year during their holidays in France :flowers:

It's curious that Henrik chose to leave his engagement early, it also curious that HM has chosen to cancel the press conference. I hope that everything is ok with them both.

Danish royalty pundits are speculating that the regal couple don't want to risk any questions in the wake of the change of the succession law. Perhaps you remember, that the lead-up to the referendum triggered a hefty debate on the monarchy. It revealed that the support for the DRF is in decline. It's not serious- yet, but enough for them to be concerned!

Interesting thought - but wasn't the Queen asked for her opinion on the referendum at the time and just refused to comment? Wouldn't it be easy enough for her to say "no comment" in August if she's asked something she doesn't want to answer? It seems like cancelling the press conference is too extreme of a reaction for this to be the real reason.

Interesting thought - but wasn't the Queen asked for her opinion on the referendum at the time and just refused to comment? Wouldn't it be easy enough for her to say "no comment" in August if she's asked something she doesn't want to answer? It seems like cancelling the press conference is too extreme of a reaction for this to be the real reason.

Indeed!
She will say "no comment", if someone asks! However she knows that the Danish media don't travel to the South of France for a "no comment"-comment!

Then again, I won't read too much into the cancellation of the press conference. It's normally consisting of polite noises and idle talk, and we can live without it, IMO. The press conference was intended as a deal, so that the media don't bother them for the rest of their stay at Cayx. They need not worry. These days the media are mainly interested in the crown princely couple!

Viv

Danish royalty pundits are speculating that the regal couple don't want to risk any questions in the wake of the change of the succession law. Perhaps you remember, that the lead-up to the referendum triggered a hefty debate on the monarchy. It revealed that the support for the DRF is in decline. It's not serious- yet, but enough for them to be concerned
I'm not sure I agree with them on their speculation. If it was just about the succession then a simple no comment or a reminder that they do not discuss political matters should do it for them. If it were about decline of support the surely not making themselves available to the press (and through them the public) is going to only make is slide further down hill.

These days the media are mainly interested in the crown princely couple!

Which is why in imo it is important for the Queen to continue to do a press conference like this.

The editor in chief of Billed-Bladet magazine has posted a letter/statement/article about the cancellation of the press conference. Apparently, the annual conference has been cancelled indefinitely. According to the article, the Queen has held these because she has felt that she must do this. The author claims that now the Queen wants to step back from the limelight a bit. The author feels that now would be the time for the CP couple to begin picking up where the Queen left off with this annual press conference:

Billed-Bladet - Annemette Krakau: Nu giver Margrethe plads til Frederik

The editor in chief of Billed-Bladet magazine has posted a letter/statement/article about the cancellation of the press conference. Apparently, the annual conference has been cancelled indefinitely. According to the article, the Queen has held these because she has felt that she must do this. The author claims that now the Queen wants to step back from the limelight a bit. The author feels that now would be the time for the CP couple to begin picking up where the Queen left off with this annual press conference:

Billed-Bladet - Annemette Krakau: Nu giver Margrethe plads til Frederik

Sgl, bravo! You've made a couple of wise reservations :flowers:. IMHO the editor in chief is speculating!

( Then again, I hear more and more Danes saying, that it's about time for HM to let the crown princely couple take over. Maybe that's what Ms. Krakau is trying to convey (there, that's me speculating :D:D))!

Anyway, Krakau feels that she has to explain to her readers readers why HM is pulling the plug on the Cayx press conferences, which has always had extensive coverage in Billed Bladet! She needs a reason to justify HM's decision, and what's better than letting HM step back in favour of the next generation?

I for one thought that the cancellation was a one off. Apparently it isn't! Again IMO, in the last few years HM has not been completely at ease on these occasions, with the reporters being less deferential and putting more blunt questions!

I for one don't see the cancellation as a loss. Apart from a few occasions they didn't offer much of substance, just idle chit-chat. Idle chit chat is OK at times, but I'm not totally convinced that it is always serving the best interest of the monarchy!

Viv

Thank you for pointing out that BB has covered this extensively in the past, Viv. The editor in chief is undoubtedly not pleased to miss out on the revenue from the circulation of the issue with the coverage. I don't think we will ever know the reasons for the cancellation, but you raise an excellent point, Viv, about the mannerisms of some of the media toward the Queen in the past.

Back
Top Bottom