Queen Margrethe's 75th Birthday Celebrations: April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, this has been the main story and news all day long :whistling:

I laughed at this...maybe Prince Henrik realized that he would have to bow to Queen Maxima, Queen Mathilde and Queen Letizia - all women who were granted equal status to their husbands as Queens...while he will never be a King...and the very thought made him ill!!!:ohmy::whistling:

:pI apologize...just me being wicked...especially if Prince Henrik is so seriously ill that he can not attend his wife's birthday celebrations!
OMG! Seriously Prince Henrik?!!:eek: That is one quick recovery...especially to travel overseas on vacation to Venice!!!
And to think I felt bad for making the above comment at the time!:whistling::lol:
Others also thought that Prince Henrik was throwing a tantrum! It may very well turn out that we were not far wrong!:D

I have studied the interaction between Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik during the State Visit from the Netherlands and I only saw good cheer, laughter and happiness. Lots of smiles, smalltalk, little jokes "entre nous". No any indication that there was something else. When you are at that age, and already not so healthy (overweight, need a stick for walking) and you have a cold and not feeling fit... yes, I can imagine that the Prince excuses himself for those long festivities with visits here, visits there, walks here , walks there, diner here and diner there.

OMG! Seriously Prince Henrik?!!:eek: That is one quick recovery...especially to travel overseas on vacation to Venice!!!
Remember Venice and Denmark are on the same continent. So no travel overseas!

:lol: Ph is fortunate in having a very loving and overbearing wife.
I fear my wife would tear off my ears if I did something similar. :hiding:

No, I suspect this is a case of stereotypical "male-flu"...
And while far from all of us are deadly ill when we contract flu there are admittedly some who are, and who recover almost instantly when the attention... eh, I mean when the flu is over. :lol:
And PH does indeed have a history, also in interviews, to feel a wee bit sorry for himself when he's a bit under the weather.
and not the centre of attention!:lol:I share your relief that the prince consort is better, although I also believe that his illness was what is delicately called 'a diplomatic one'. Why he did this we will probably never know, but the queen's smiles speak volumes. Les hommes francais are a whole different kettle of fish that Queen Margrethe, I am sure, knows how to fry:flowers:

I think when you are married for such a long time, you know you partner inside out and you will finally say 'whatever floats your boat'. In case it was a tantrum, the Queen will notice and move on. She's far from having anything spoilt by her husband, knows how to enjoy these festivities for herself.

Well I'm glad she enjoyed her birthday ,by the looks of it she did, and if he was playing up shame on him.

I actually don´t think it was a tantrum. Prince Henrik loves to party and loves to celebrate his wife. A week down the flu is not unsual, but it all depends on from which date you start counting.

Let´s make a timeline:

April 8th: They went for a carriageride in Århus. He could have had a cold/flu on the way before that and the carriageride helped it to break through.

April 10th: The welcoming at Fredensborg Castle. Outside on the stairs and it was a cold evening.

April 13th: QMII alone at the press meeting due to the fact that the Prince Consort is down with the flu.

April 15th+16th: The Prince Consort is still down with the flu and can therefor not take part in the celebrations surrounding the 75th birthday of QMII. He could be on the way to recovering from the flu, but still not healthy enough to sit still and not coughing/sneezing for hours and hours.

April 18th: The Prince Consort has been seen in Venice. It´s warmer in Venice, so why not take a trip down to Venice to recover fully when you have the funds and the time? I know, I would have done the same.

I actually don´t think it was a tantrum. Prince Henrik loves to party and loves to celebrate his wife. A week down the flu is not unsual, but it all depends on from which date you start counting.

Let´s make a timeline:

April 8th: They went for a carriageride in Århus. He could have had a cold/flu on the way before that and the carriageride helped it to break through.

April 10th: The welcoming at Fredensborg Castle. Outside on the stairs and it was a cold evening.

April 13th: QMII alone at the press meeting due to the fact that the Prince Consort is down with the flu.

April 15th+16th: The Prince Consort is still down with the flu and can therefor not take part in the celebrations surrounding the 75th birthday of QMII. He could be on the way to recovering from the flu, but still not healthy enough to sit still and not coughing/sneezing for hours and hours.

April 18th: The Prince Consort has been seen in Venice. It´s warmer in Venice, so why not take a trip down to Venice to recover fully when you have the funds and the time? I know, I would have done the same.
Thank you. Yes, there were enough opportunities to catch the flu/a cold on 8-10th April.
But some posters just want to believe it was a tantrum it seems.

Last edited:
Back to the First Gala Dinner , I hoped to see one of the late Count Christian's daughter wearing her late mother sapphire tiara.

Let´s make a timeline:

He could have left also to prevent others from getting sick.....

Back to the First Gala Dinner , I hoped to see one of the late Count Christian's daughter wearing her late mother sapphire tiara.

I thought there were some pictures of her in the galleries.

The first gala dinner was 'for the official Denmark' and the younger Rosenborgs have never attended these kinds of official event. For the 40th jubilee 2012 and the 70th birthday 2010 the younger Rosenborgs were invited to the gala concerts, but there was none this year:sad:.

I had hoped they they might get an invitation to the private dinner at Fredensborg, but they didn't attend. It wouldn't have helped anyway because that dinner as without tiaras.

The only Countess of Rosenborg wearing a tiara at the first gala dinner was Countess Susie with the fringe tiara. Maybe she is the one you remember, muriel.

I thought this picture summed up that the DRF is a - relatively - normal modern family: http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...selsdagen/vagtskifte-pa-amalienborg-3.jpg.img

One man down, PH. Who is also a character within the family..., perhaps slightly excentric too.
The matron of the family, who like most Danes, has absolutely no problems with being politically incorrect!
Two sons and two daughters-in-law.
The sons got a better education that the generation before them.
One son divorced and remarried.
Eight grandchildren, two of them with a mobiles glued to their hands, probably about to upload clips to their twitter-instagram account whatever.
All of the adults have spend time abroad and married a foreigner.
QMII, like a considerable percentage of people her age, have no clue and no interest in modern "gadgetery".
- So if you took away their titles and surroundings, they wouldn't stick out that much from so many other modern families.

:previous: And all of them very good-looking, too! That's the first time I've noticed Athena waving. The twins and Henrik the Younger look like they're over it. :)

Let´s make a timeline:

Makes perfect sense for an elderly gentleman who just days before was supposedly bed ridden suffering from a bad case of Influenza to take a vacation in a warm climate with his close male friends to recover.

Perhaps the flu was more a case of the blues?

Leasing off something you have worked on for 40 years can ruin anyone's mood. Then, he was prepared... But then, he is PH...!

It seems, over the time I have been following the DRF, that Prince Henrik has come across as both eccentric and a little self-absorbed, but he is also a loved and loving father and grandfather. But at his age, he's entitled to get into a snit every now and then.

Basically, it seems that Henrik will say what Henrik will say, and Henrik will do what Henrik will do. His beloved wife both loves and understands him, and if she's not bothered, who are we to be.

Very similar to Prince Phillip. Every one who knows him and loves him accepts his crusty ways and quirks because it just him.

I think he's like my son-in-law who always gets in a mood when it's my daughters birthday because the attention is on her. Although Henrik must be use to her always getting the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri
I laughed at this...maybe Prince Henrik realized that he would have to bow to Queen Maxima, Queen Mathilde and Queen Letizia - all women who were granted equal status to their husbands as Queens...while he will never be a King...and the very thought made him ill!!!
ohmy.gif.pagespeed.ce.Lt6scbE6A5.gif
whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.8t8n9hIWgT.gif

xtongue.gif.pagespeed.ic.4h_v_abVHs.png
I apologize...just me being wicked...especially if Prince Henrik is so seriously ill that he can not attend his wife's birthday celebrations!

Well, The Prinsgemalen does not bow to Queen Máxima, Queen Mathilde or Queen Letizia. They are his equals, they are -like him- the spouse to a Sovereign. Apart from the titulature there is nothing, not in prominence, in protocol, whatever, which differentates his position from that of a Queen Máxima or so.

The same applied to other male consorts as Prince Philip, the three male Consorts in the Netherlands and the one in Luxembourg.

I'm beginning to wonder if something more serious is going on, like a health problem that hasn't yet been disclosed, or possibly the beginnings of dementia.

Although I can understand his reasons for stepping away from the wine production - he won't be directly involved, and maybe that's what he wants at this stage of his life. In time, one of his grandchildren may take it up again. Apparently it was done after discussion with the family.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

I just Love Princess Victoria, but why can't that beautiful princess ever wear her hair down?? This is probably not the correct thread for this but this has bothered me, she is so beautiful, I would love to see it down once in a while

Next , will the Prince Consort attend the Royal Cruise ??

According to the papers PH has now returned to DK.

He will go, unless something is seriously wrong with him.

If he does something similar this summer, then the papers will be justified in wanting to know what is wrong. Because then the speculations will be whether he is seriously ill in one way or another... - or whether he is knowingly embarrassing QMII.
For a man who has written an autobiography titled "Destiny oblige" such a thing should be next to unthinkable.
- If, repeat if, such a thing should happen, then we are talking about what to do about a consort who is physically, mentally or psychologically unfit.

But I think we should take that discussion if that happens, because that is getting outside this thread and at present that is basically a "what if".

Last edited:
I just Love Princess Victoria, but why can't that beautiful princess ever wear her hair down?? This is probably not the correct thread for this but this has bothered me, she is so beautiful, I would love to see it down once in a while

I would love to see Queen Máxima always wear her hair up. It is more stately, it is always neat and it completes an overall image. I am sure Crown Princess Victoria has taken that in her consideration. Her sister Princess Madeleine always wears her hair down, when possible. But she -of course- has a total different position in royal life. I thought Crown Princess Victoria looked wonderful in Copenhagen.

:flowers:

Just follow me over to the "Crown Princess Victoria Evening Wear Part 6.

Back
Top Bottom