Queen Margrethe's 75th Birthday Celebrations: April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
British Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment has congratulated queen Margrethe. What do the Danish newspapers say about this?

British Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment has congratulated queen Margrethe. What do the Danish newspapers say about this?

That was shown on TV. QMII is (honorary) colonel of that regiment.

The whole thing ended with a ten minutes fireworks: VIDEO: Fredensborg badet i fyrværkeri | Billed Bladet
There are also some good segments of Mary, our Marie and naturally the dapper Joachim in the video.

Queen Margrethe II surely knows how to throw a good party. Or in her case: parties. I love the tradition of the guests singing under the window of the birthday girl.

Still, I hoped for more. No tiaras yesterday, what a bummer. And I esp. hoped for more royal guests. AFAIK none of the Greek or Sayn nieces and nephews were there, neither were there (m)any Arab/Asian royals or non-reigning royals. Perhaps she will reserve that for her 80th birthday and kept it modest this time ;). Nice that Pss. Elisabeth, Count Ingolf and Css. Sussie were invited on Wednesday though.

I suppose that the celebrations were during a normal (working) week may have influenced this. Some simply may have had to go to work or had engagements. I am surprised that so many people were on the streets, or was Thursday a day off for the Danes?

Great that the king of the Belgians and the grand duke of Luxembourg could make it, despite of their own birthdays. And it is also nice that the king and queen of Spain were able to attend. King Juan Carlos wasn't always a regular guest at such festivities, esp. not during the later years of his reign. Nobody from the UK but I suppose only the monarch was invited and the last time QEII attended such festivities was in 1962. Queen Silvia was very skillful in providing support for her shoulder: all the scarfs were coordinated to her outfits and seemed an accessory almost.

A big thanks to all the posters who have provided translations, information, videos and photos!

Last edited:
so many great pictures !! loved the fireworks , and the family singing to the queen in the morning ! :) thanks for all the pictures

Finally, for the Danish speakers - how do you pronounce this word: tyllkke. (hope I spelled it right)

Tillykke? = congratulations.
You can hear it here, even though it's not a Dane (or a human?:alien:) who is pronouncing the word: https://translate.google.dk/?hl=da#en/da/congratulations

Some of the guests at the party last night have talked about the party, without saying much: Gæsterne fortæller: Sådan gik den royale fest på slottet - Royale | www.bt.dk

230 guests, mostly friends and relatives.
Joachim gave a speech, so did Keld Hillingsø. PH was missed. It was a great party.
PH is today still down with flu.

Let's have a look at some of the presents QMII got.

The jewels she wore on the second night was a present from PH. They are designed by Thomas Hardenberg.

Se listen: Dronningens vilde fødselsdags- gaver - Royale | www.bt.dk

Apart from that she got:
Mary and Frederik allegedly gave her a necklace from Monies.
The present from the Parliament and the government is a perennial garden, and that will be placed in the park at Fredensborg.
Fredensborg municipality gave her a walnut tree.
A number of central Jutlandic municipalities gave a her a footstool shaped as an apple.
The Guards Associations gave her a wall-clock, with the inscription: "The Queens Watch", naturally a reference to the queens watch handed out to a distinguished guardsman in each guards battalion.
On top of that she got a muff made from bear skin.
Copenhagen municipality gave her 60 gold-rimmed coffee cups.
The open air museum in Aarhus gave her a street name. (The museum started out as a collection of buildings from all over DK compiled and made to resemble a typical merchant town anno 1850. Now they have added a completely new neighborhood, from the 1970's, so I guess that's where the new street will go).
The National Museum gave her a portrait.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Continental royals know how to celebrate birthday's and anniversaries. Queen Margrethe partied like it was 1999!

Is there any news on the Prince Consorts condition?

Prince Henrik was supposed to attend a hunt festival today but the event was removed from the calendar. So I guess he is still ill or not yet fully recovered.

i have my fingers crossed that there will be a gala for the king of swedens 70th birthday 2016, he had for his 50th and 60th borthdays with royals from several countries

i have my fingers crossed that there will be a gala for the king of swedens 70th birthday 2016, he had for his 50th and 60th borthdays with royals from several countries

Oh yes I'm hoping as well. Funny how one party hardly is over until you're longing and speculating about the next one.

I hope there are some royal celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II's 90th Birthday next year.

From Royalista.

DR1 just showed Daniel and Haakon returning from a little jog around Fredensborg.

https://app.box.com/s/j28pra86t00q96rolu5xza9jb9qlcupd

The jogging was certainly enjoyable for both Haakon & Daniel. Beyond this, it was certainly a good idea for Daniel to do it while there were many international journalists around. Particularly appropriate that German journalists see him; I read often nasty allusions/speculations about his bad health. So Daniel can follow Haakon in a jogging!! I think I might a link to the picture to some German editors...

The jogging was certainly enjoyable for both Haakon & Daniel. Beyond this, it was certainly a good idea for Daniel to do it while there were many international journalists around. Particularly appropriate that German journalists see him; I read often nasty allusions/speculations about his bad health. So Daniel can follow Haakon in a jogging!! I think I might a link to the picture to some German editors...

Well, there were photos in July of Daniel and Victoria jogging in Solliden. And people in Haga Park see often them jogging, and write at their Twitters and blogs about that. People are so polite that they don't publish photos of them.

Daniel and Haakon had a great time during the day, following their wives.
http://imageupper.com/i/?A0300010010011D1429298187515154
http://imageupper.com/i/?A0300010010021D1429298187515154

Last edited:

In 2017 King Willem-Alexander will celebrate his 50th birthday. I expect he will throw a big party again, like he did on his 40th birthday. Now he is King, he will do it on a bigger scale (like he did for the three days of festivities around his Investiture).

Galleries
Bernard Rübsamen
Bernard Rübsamen
Bernard Rübsamen

Queen Silvia
http://z.cdn-expressen.se/images/7f/95/7f958d37032a49c186b2971cfbe5f585/912@70.jpg

Svensk Damtidning's reporter has two "behind the scenes" photos at her blog: Prince Henrik's dog is out just before all the photographers came, and king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia at a bus. The reporter writes that there was plenty of empty seats at the bus, but the king and queen wanted to sit right at the front.
Dagens roligaste bilder från Köpenhamn _ Vimmelprinsessan
It is such a strange comment by the Svensk Damtidning to make. Would it have been more acceptable if the King and Queen had picked seats in the middle of the bus? I would presume they sat down in previously empty seats.

It is such a strange comment by the Svensk Damtidning to make. Would it have been more acceptable if the King and Queen had picked seats in the middle of the bus? I would presume they sat down in previously empty seats.

Didn't get that one either, but then the reporters at SD often write some very strange articles.

ADDED: To my surprise there doesn't appear to be a thread for M-M's jewels, so here we go: http://royalista.com/97696/skull-earrings-spotted-mette-marit-queens-birthday/
Mette-Marit wore some novelty earrings to the reception at the Copenhagen Town Hall Thursday.

Last edited:
There is something strange with the lighting in that magnificent hallway at Christiansborg Palace (with those impressive statues) and in the large hall where the banquet was held: there was hardly any glitter coming from the jewels. I already noticed that with the State Visit of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima a few weeks ago: in the very same venue the state banquet was held. Queen Máxima wore a very large diamond-and-sapphire diadem which uses to glitz and glam but the priceless diamonds all remained 'dead' when she walked through that hallway and during the Queen's table speech.

This week saw some big diadems, for an example Queen Silvia's Leuchtenberg Parure or Queen Mathilde's Nine Province's Diadem but I saw not more than a glimpse of some glitter here or there. I think the Danes should re-consider the lighting in that hallway ánd in the banqueting hall. Those statues (pillar bearers) are truly magnificent and should be set in floodlight, one by one. The indirect lighting via floodlights will result in amazing glitter and do all jewels of all ladies justice.

Here you see what I mean, this picture (Amsterdam 2013) was taken during daytime but it is already very visible that all pillars are separately set in floodlight and the shadows on the red carpet show change in light intensity due to the interval of spots above. Thanks to these circumstances, the jewels have the chance to sparkle at best, for sure when it is evening or night... Just a suggestion to look after the lighting at Christiansborg. My compliments for the Danes for the excellent organization and the impeccable manners shown by the guards, the footmen, the chamberlains. A true ye old-fashioned Court.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I agree with Duke's last sentence and was so happy to see the two evenings events in life.
Mr Muhler and Mrs Roskilde and others great thanks for your always interesting threads !

A big thank you to those who shared the photos, videos and articles of the events in connection with Queen Margrethe's birthday. :flowers: (It's just typical that when I'm offline for a few days, a big event happens! :D).

It was wonderful to see all the European royals together, though I'm a little disappointed that no one from the BRF showed up, and I've read that HM is friends with Queen Margrethe. The BRF are also distantly (I think third cousins, but I'd need to double check that) related to the DRF. Having said that, the BRF never really seem to turn up to European events, unless they're big events like weddings or coronations/inaugurations. Still, it would've been nice if royals such as the Wessexes, who are the usual representatives of the BRF at European events, could've gone.

One of my favourite photos of the event is Maxima giving Vincent a high five. I think it's such a precious photo. Are Maxima and WA close with the CP Family? I remember that Mary and Maxima seemed to get on well during the recent Dutch state visit to Denmark.

I agree it was a shame that Prince Henrik wasn't absent, I hope he recovers quickly. I don't think his absence has much to do with his recent rants about how he isn't Prince Consort. I don't think he'd miss his wife's big day just because of that.

Back
Top Bottom