Queen Margrethe's 75th Birthday Celebrations: April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Margrethe is first and foremost about herself. She doesnt give the impression to me that she is overly warm or motherly. Nothing wrong with that though. I am sure she gets along well with her DILs as all women are professionals and know what to do. Of course she wouldn't say something bad about Mary, but Margrethe could have found more un-emotional words to talk about her.

I think the fact that Margrethe is happy with Mary is based a lot on the fact that Mary is a good professional worker and has a stable family life with Frederik, let alone producing a heir and a spare (and even more). The rest will work as long as Margrethe remains the boss and center of attention, that's why I have no problem to believe that she will not abdicate unless she is forced to.

QMII just gave a press conference and there wasn't much new but the questions weren't as silly as could be expected.

As usual she doubled the average IQ by entering the room and as such she easily dodged controversial, or rather potential controversial issues, like the Berlingske interview.
But also a question about PH's wish to be king, was cut short! - And there were no further questions on that issue!
A fool addressed her with informal you and he was put in his place firmly but elegantly. - Wonder if he expects to address say the Pope with: Yo, popey?

The last part of the Alt For Damerne interview: https://app.box.com/s/fr5ju8n1bjhj29sqhfod2f2l1tr967b7

Thanks, Roskilde & LadyFinn. :flowers:

QMII switched effortless to Swedish when Swedish reporter asked her questions.

I think Margrethe is first and foremost about herself. She doesnt give the impression to me that she is overly warm or motherly. Nothing wrong with that though. I am sure she gets along well with her DILs as all women are professionals and know what to do. Of course she wouldn't say something bad about Mary, but Margrethe could have found more un-emotional words to talk about her.

I think the fact that Margrethe is happy with Mary is based a lot on the fact that Mary is a good professional worker and has a stable family life with Frederik, let alone producing a heir and a spare (and even more). The rest will work as long as Margrethe remains the boss and center of attention, that's why I have no problem to believe that she will not abdicate unless she is forced to.

I think you very much nailed it, in regards to Mary approaching her role in such a professional way. I believe that is something QMII (or any other monarch) appreciate very much. And if she happens to be very fond of Mary, which I believe is the case, so much the better.

ADDED: A clip from DR1 where QMII firmly makes it clear to a reporter that he is to use the formal you: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2015/04/13/153544.htm

QMII later on express her delight over the informal tone used here in DK - but within limits...
Oh, and PH is down with a flu.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Muhler already mentioned Margrethe also gives a large interview in Alt For Damerne (Everything For the ladies). A member asked me if I could translate the family part.

And I will, but it will be a quick translation (so forgive me for possible typing mistakes :cool:)

The interview is without questions a such as Margrethe tells herself, so I just write it from end to end.

Margrethe talks about her delight for her two coming successors, but also that she doesn't give much advice because the Crown Prince Couple should be allowed to unfold and be 'themselves' and she also talks about how the enormous focus there always rests on the family isn't always easy to deal with:

--

In her youth Margrethe found it difficult being in focus and was very shy.

"But with the age I'm probably better at swinging in between that now it is, and now it isn't (to be in focus). I also know the feeling of not being noticed, especially abroad, and it's a really good thing, which is very good to learn from."

"Also The Crown Prince has lived with a heavy focus since he was very small. He had, like most young people, some years when it wasn't particularly easy to be the Crown Prince and the eldest son of his very attention-attracting mother. But he has learned it very well, and now he is both married and settled and greatly confident in his own skin. He knows his potential. I have, from he was very young, made much effort to tell him that there is both a responsibility but also immeasurably many joys associated with the position he has. It's important, and I think he to a large extent is aware of that today. He's a grown up man with wife and four children, and they have really found their place, and they both make it singularly well.

There has to a great extent been a job for me in learning the Crown Princess some things, but I've tried not to fill too much. She should be allowed to be her own, and she should not do everything that I do, and she does not. She does things that I can't, and she masters stuff that I don't have nearly as easy to do.
It's very valuable. The Scottish in the Crown Princess is very strong, a very good strength. It's something about being confident in your own skin and have both feet on the ground and yet much more than that. And then she comes from a very good and loving family."

"Being a grandmother is something completely different than being a mother. Because as a grandmother you don't have to worry about if they did well in school and whether they have remembered to greet people neatly. On the other hand, I'm twice as pleased when I see it, that they actually go and greet people properly. This is my grandchildren very good at, and it's lovely. It sounds like a small thing, but it's necessary that children in our family can do things like that. And I think they all masters that eventually. Some are more shy than others. I noticed that especially the two oldest did it really well when the Crown Prince family was on the Greenland trip recently, and there I was proud. A proud grandmother!"

:previous:

Thank you, Roskilde, what a lovely thing for Queen Margrethe to say about the crown prince and family. It is clear that QM has a keen interest on how her grandchildren are raised without being overbearing to F&M. She also understands her son quite well. I get the feeling that she's no fool about what is required of this family and is pleased at Frederik contentment in his family life and how that translates in the children's behavior has well as CP Mary.

She is wise enough to know an overbearing grandmother or mother in law is never welcome.

A very big thank you to Muhler and Roskilde and others for their translations!
it helps alot.

I like the interview of the Queen a lot.
She is a very interesting and strong woman.

Its nice to hear her views on strong topics like immigrations.
and I loved the comparison she makes of Frederik with her father. I think she is quite happy and proud that Frederik inherited alot of her very much loved father.

And i agree with others, the way she talks of Mary, for me, she is not just saying what we expect but i think she is genuine in her pride and joy in Mary .

"I must say that the very first time, Frederik let me meet Mary, I hoped that it would last. A you say the basis of the layered cake was in order. That expression my mother often used and it was obvious that the basis of the layered cake was very much in order. I think my mother would have been very happy for Mary. They never met. Frederik had only just met Mary when my mother died. But I think he already at that time was pretty sure it was here the opportunity should be seized."

I liked this; a mother realizing her son was very smitten from the beginning

"It's not that big, but there are plenty of small differences. When my mother Queen Ingrid came to Denmark was she criticized for acting a little distant and formal, until it dawned on her that in Denmark you could, in so far, act more relaxed than in Sweden - or at least she felt she could in Sweden. She once said that Denmark had taught her to smile! ".

My (limited) understanding is that the Swedish Royal Court used to be very "stiff" and formal before Carl XVI Gustaf came to the throne, but that has changed dramatically over the past 40 years or so, maybe under the influence of Queen Silvia. Today, perhaps the opposite is true.

I would be glad to hear the opinion of the Scandinavian posters on that topic.

Prince Henrik the Consort is ill ? Will he be able to attend whole of the glittering Events ??

My (limited) understanding is that the Swedish Royal Court used to be very "stiff" and formal before Carl XVI Gustaf came to the throne, but that has changed dramatically over the past 40 years or so, maybe under the influence of Queen Silvia. Today, perhaps the opposite is true.

I would be glad to hear the opinion of the Scandinavian posters on that topic.

Can't talk about the Swedish court, I'm simply not old enough to remember. I think that's a question better directed at the Swedes.
However, as a Dane I'd say that in our eyes, Swedes have a tendency to be more stiff, not formal but perhaps more reserved and perhaps less frank and direct than we Danes believe we are. QMII said in her interview in the Berlingske interview and I quote:
"The basic tone is not the same and even though it's equally pleasing to my ears and eyes in all the Nordic countries, we are different. That I can tell when we talk with my cousins and relatives in general.

We each have our way of doing things. There are things you can do her, which you wouldn't dream about doing in Sweden or Norway. There are things that they do, that would occur to us to do likewise and which wouldn't fit in here anyway.

It's not the big things, but there are lots of tiny differences. When my mother came to Denmark, she was criticized for being distant and formal, until it dawned on her that in Denmark could relax more than in sweden - or than she felt she could in sweden.

She once said that Denmark had taught her to smile! She had had a difficult childhood, because she lost her mother when she was only ten and she was a serious young lady, when she came to Denmark.

Here the happy, the smiling and extroverted (personality), that she fortunately also possessed was loosened up. Today no one can remember how it was before she worked that out"

Prince Henrik the Consort is ill ? Will he be able to attend whole of the glittering Events ??

Hopefully, but a flu at his age is not something you should take lightly. Perhaps he will skip Wednesday? We'll see.
As long as QMII don't go down with flu, that would be unfortunate as she put it at the press conference.

Last edited:
What she said about being a proud grandmother was so nice. And I definitely think it's notable how Christian and Isabella always confidently look people in the eyes when shaking hands with them. Not a lot of children their age would be able to do the same. So I understand QMII's pride :D

The immigration remarks... I think it adds fuel to the fire. I don't doubt that QMII meant it the best way possible – she has always been speaking for the inclusion of immigrants in our society and given us a loving scolding when we've failed in that regard. However, these comments come in a time in which institutionalised xenophobia is the new black and some far-right people are going to perceive it as her green-lighting that. I don't necessarily thought what she said was wrong but the comments were unfortunate IMO.

As for HM being addressed informally, I think she handled it quite well. A lot of my dismay for Joachim has ground in his inability to just shrug informal addresses off with a laughter like Frederik does, but I will say, a completely different ruleset goes for QMII as she's the monarch. One should always strive to address her formally and correct oneself immediately if one has made a mishap. And I think her "not to be stiffy" was marvellous because it made the correction seem less hard and stuck up than it would've sounded otherwise.

A fool addressed her with informal you and he was put in his place firmly but elegantly. - Wonder if he expects to address say the Pope with: Yo, popey?

To be fair, he didn't do it deliberately and wasn't trying to be, eh, dumsmart, to use a QMII-expression. I think it's a bit rough to call him a fool – probably mainly because I could see myself do the exact same thing if it had been my first royal press conference. In spite of being a diehard royalist I could vividly imagine myself, in my fluster over being there, you know, "talking" to the Queen, accidentally address her informally.

Last edited:
:previous: Firstly, I don't believe the journalist accidentally adressed her with informal you. He is IMO one of those who think all that about formal you is a bit silly.
That's foolish. That's unprepared. That's not serious.
If he cannot comprehend that there is a certain etiquette, if he cannot accept that there is a certain etiquette, if he can't remember to adhere to a simple formal etiquette, than perhaps he should consider a career working for House and Garden rather than a serious news agency as Berlingske.
Keep in mind he wasn't even among the first to ask question and all the other reporters addressed QMII with formal you, but perhaps he was deaf?

I´ve seen the clip, but who is he? Do we know that?

:previous: He's from Berlingske Tidende. Apparently, he graduated a year ago and this was his first royal press conference. Here's a small interview with him about the incident. I obviously could be wrong but nothing about his demeanour implies to me that he did it intentionally.

:previous: Firstly, I don't believe the journalist accidentally adressed her with informal you. He is IMO one of those who think all that about formal you is a bit silly.
That's foolish. That's unprepared. That's not serious.
If he cannot comprehend that there is a certain etiquette, if he cannot accept that there is a certain etiquette, if he can't remember to adhere to a simple formal etiquette, than perhaps he should consider a career working for House and Garden rather than a serious news agency as Berlingske.
Keep in mind he wasn't even among the first to ask question and all the other reporters addressed QMII with formal you, but perhaps he was deaf?

I'm so sorry but on which grounds do you base that? The way you describe it, I don't think we've seen the same clip. He wasn't being Ekstra Bladet-cocky, he wasn't being arrogant and nothing in his voice at the press conference implied that he tried to make some kind of statement about the way we style the royals. Nervousness can strike us all – even journalists and especially when in front of QMII. Yes, it was unfortunate, I agree, but it happens. I honestly think you're way out of line here but yeah, maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
:previous: Perhaps.

He flopped. That wasn't professional.

I´m just glad he isn´t from Se&Hør or Ekstra Bladet or some paper/magazine along that line.

As I don't speak Danish or a language where there a formal / informal ways to say you I can't comment on how easy or indeed how bad it is to use the wrong one, its not something I've ever had to worry about.

However IMO a person in power shouldn't embarrass or talk down publically to someone else as it can make them look superior, bossy and a little bit of a bully and as if they are deliberately trying to humiliate that person. I've always thought that no matter who the person doing it is. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the Queen choose to do so, especially to someone knew to royal press conferences (if it was a seasoned journalist who'd been to lots of them it might be a bit different but maybe the Queen would't know such a thing).
That being said Her Majesty gets away with it as she is, as ever, quite charming.

:previous: Perhaps.

He flopped. That wasn't professional.

Harsh! Cut the young man some slack. The reporter is new to the cutthroat world of journalism, live reporting. It ain't easy as it looks. He may have been nervous as many would be.

I think you very much nailed it, in regards to Mary approaching her role in such a professional way. I believe that is something QMII (or any other monarch) appreciate very much. And if she happens to be very fond of Mary, which I believe is the case, so much the better.

ADDED: A clip from DR1 where QMII firmly makes it clear to a reporter that he is to use the formal you: VIDEO Dronningen til journalist: Tror ikke, vi er dus | Nyheder | DR

QMII later on express her delight over the informal tone used here in DK - but within limits...
Oh, and PH is down with a flu.

Muhler! thank you for this clip but I can't understand the young (of course! journalist's reaction. How does he take the queen's correction? Does he repeat using the formal you?:flowers:

Perhaps, French Toast, but stupid mistakes and bad manners can cost you.

If you represent a company and you go out and forget to not to address an elder Frenchman by last name, or a Pole for that matter. Or forget to address an elderly southern German with Sie. Or walk into an Asian home without taking off your shoes, that can cost you a business order.
At the very least you have to work extra hard to make up for the bad impression you made.

- It doesn't matter whether you or I think it's a silly thing that isn't that important, but you tell that to your boss when return without an order.

The journalist in question has learned the hard way to remember the etiquette the next time.

Muhler! thank you for this clip but I can't understand the young (of course! journalist's reaction. How does he take the queen's correction? Does he repeat using the formal you?:flowers:

He used the formal you when he continued the question, that is he used the informal you once again, but corrected himself.
He has since explained to BT that he was nervous but that he didn't say sorry, because he thought it was better to continue with his question. (Another mistake IMO. If you do screw up at least say sorry, it doesn't hurt and it only takes two nano seconds).
However, he also said his mobile has been very active after the press conference...

Bad manners? Again, how on the earth do you know that he's poorly mannered? He made a mistake. It's perfectly human. He was taken down by nerves – something QMII has experienced countless of times and something she undoubtedly will experience again.

If you represent a company and you go out and forget to not to address an elder Frenchman by last name, or a Pole for that matter. Or forget to address an elderly southern German with Sie.

I was taught (in college in the United States) to address any adult German I don't know with "Sie". Does that apply now only to "elderly southern Germans" ? Sorry if it is off-topic, but I got curious.

If you represent a company and you go out and forget to not to address an elder Frenchman by last name, or a Pole for that matter. Or forget to address an elderly southern German with Sie. Or walk into an Asian home without taking off your shoes, that can cost you a business order.
At the very least you have to work extra hard to make up for the bad impression you made.

- It doesn't matter whether you or I think it's a silly thing that isn't that important, but you tell that to your boss when return without an order.

The journalist in question has learned the hard way to remember the etiquette the next time.

Like I said it was an innocent albeit minor nervous mistake which will cost him nothing. He hasn't lost his job. If anything his mistake will only give him and the paper he represents publicity. Good and bad.

There are more pressing issues in this world to fuss over than a young man fresh out of journalism school making a small nervous mistake during a live press conference.

Love to here QMI said she is so proud of the fourth children of the Crown Prince when they presented themselves so well in Greenland. The children did a fantastic job.

Oop! I meant QMII

Bad manners? Again, how on the earth do you know that he's poorly mannered? He made a mistake. It's perfectly human. He was taken down by nerves – something QMII has experienced countless of times and something she undoubtedly will experience again.

Not adhering to basic etiquette or the custom in a particular country or culture is bad manners. It can be excused with ignorance or nervousness, fair enough.
But he had his time to be prepared. And as a journalist, especially for a news agency he is expected to address and interview all sorts of people, so that was unprofessional of him. - Not saying sorry didn't help...
However, if you read the BT article he is quoted for saying "I haven't got anything particular against the DRF". I.e. (IMO) it's not that important to him, and apparantly not important enough for him wire his head and behind together. That is unprofessional and unprofessionalism is not a trait I admire. - It costs.

I was taught (in college in the United States) to address any adult German I don't know with "Sie". Does that apply now only to "elderly southern Germans" ? Sorry if it is off-topic, but I got curious.

From personal experience. It depends. Northern Germans and especially those younger than 45 don't seem to be particular about using "Du" or first name. That also applies Germans who come to DK, they adapt to the local customs.
However, in Southern Germany and Austria I personally always address adults with "Sie" and last name, unless they dispense with the formalities first.
The same thing in France and Poland, even when speaking English, it's Mr. and Mrs. to all adults you don't know as a general rule.

And I may be an atheist but I wouldn't dream of walking into a church, especially in southern Europe, wearing shorts. - The excuse about "Oh, I forgot" or "I didn't think it was that important" doesn't apply.

Like I said it was an innocent albeit minor nervous mistake which will cost him nothing. He hasn't lost his job. If anything his mistake will only give him and the paper he represents publicity. Good and bad.

There are more pressing issues in this world to fuss over than a young man fresh out of journalism school making a small nervous mistake during a live press conference.

Berlingske is the most conservative newspaper/agency in DK, so I'm not that certain they are interested in bad publicity.

I agree that it's a minor thing, except... can you guess what the only thing the main news at 19.00 on TV2 showed from the press conference? - Yes, you guessed right. This episode.
Can you guess what the papers have among the top stories this evening? Yes, you got it right again.
So, alas, it has become an issue. And no one can even remember what the journalist asked...

IMO its only an issue because Her Majesty made it an issue, would it be the first item on the news if she hadn't reacted. The journalist can't be blamed for everything in this case

As I don't understand Danish could somebody translate what QM exactly said to the journalist? She was smiling but there was some astonished background murmur by the other journalists. Just curious.

Berlingske is the most conservative newspaper/agency in DK, so I'm not that certain they are interested in bad publicity.

I agree that it's a minor thing, except... can you guess what the only thing the main news at 19.00 on TV2 showed from the press conference? - Yes, you guessed right. This episode.
Can you guess what the papers have among the top stories this evening? Yes, you got it right again.
So, alas, it has become an issue. And no one can even remember what the journalist asked...

Highly doubtful.

Back
Top Bottom