Queen Margrethe's 75th Birthday Celebrations: April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, as always, to those who've provided all the great pictures, articles and interesting commentary!
The DRF is looking great, although the Queen and Prince Consort both seem to have aged quite a bit recently.
It's fun seeing the children out and about. Christian always seems so self possessed for his age and I loved Isabella's excitement/nervousness. Of course both Joachim's boys have grown out of the "children" category now, (Nikolai also seems to have grown out of his suit), but they still looked like they enjoyed themselves..

A nice picture of a happy and thrilled Margrethe, isn't it?
https://billedeupload.dk/?v=ybkig.jpg

And a funny picture of our Crown Prince. Guess he spotted one he knew very well in the crowd :D
https://billedeupload.dk/images/qjFZE.jpg

The whole family, including the children and Bella with her flowers, are out to greet and thank the performers.
Now it's time for a bite at a standing buffet.

Bella was indeed fond of her fine flower bouquet, wasn't she? She did not let it go! Even after they all had taken place in the seats :p
https://billedeupload.dk/images/o6MO0.jpg
https://billedeupload.dk/images/TR2Go.jpg

Last edited:
You are very welcome, Frelinghighness :)

And I hope the veterans will finally be recognized later this year, perhaps at the annual Flagday. That would be a nice touch. - Alas, I fear we must wait until after the next general election later this year, because the current government don't seem to be in a hurry to anything about it...

Anyway, unsurprisingly BB devotes a lot this weeks magazine issue to the celebrations of QMII. More on that in the next couple of days.

Here is a summary of an article in Billed Bladet #15, 2015.
Written by Marianne Singer.

- Where members of the DRF have some nice things to say about QMII in particular but also about QMII as mother-in-law.
During M&F's recent trip to Japan, the BB reporter asked them about QMII and Mary replied: "We are tremendously looking forward to celebrating the Queen, my lovely svigermor = mother-in-law (*), along with whole of Denmark. We are looking forward, all six of us - the whole family to celebrate her.
She means so much to us, so we are looking forward to making her happy and see her happy. She deserves to be celebrated big time".

jeg laese dansk uden google! (well, I did check to make sure I had uden right!:)):flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Muhler, thank you for your posts about the history of April 9 in Denmark. I too hope the veterans will be recognized. WWII veterans are rapidly dying off.

And thank you too for the explanation of the chain the mayor wears. I've learned a lot today. :flowers:

Muhler: Thank you for the stories from Denmark's history. They are fascinating! I am glad the Nazi's didn't get your gold!!! And, I am also glad that your royal family, your people and your country survived! A beautiful country and a great queen. Keep the stories coming. Smile...

You are very welcome, ladies. :)

Fortunately a joyous occasion is coming up: the Liberation on 5th May that is also sure to be marked by the DRF, so there will be more history. :graduate:

ADDED: QMII has given an interview to the women's magazine Alt For Damerne, and here she talks a little about her role as farmor (paternal grandmother):

http://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-ma...lse-jeg-er-absolut-ikke-verdens-bedste-farmor

"... Apart from the obligation as queen my obligations - and thus focal points - lie in the art and in the family, which of course also play a major role for me, even though I'm absolutely not the worlds best grandmother (bedstemor = general term). My grandchildren probably don't get as much time, as so many other grandchildren. But I'm enormously delighted over them, they are delightful kids.
We sure have drawn sometimes and that is indeed tremendous fun, but I'm not a particularly good paedagogue. No, I really am not. I'm no in possession of any kind of angelic patience. And that is required if it really has to amount to something".

In the recent TV-portrait QMII also said she has never felt a need to keep her two sons close but they still mean the world to her.

In this magazine interview she talks about how she is pleased and glad to see her grandchildren grow up and overcome their shyness and being well behaved in public.

Here is the Alt For Damerne interview: http://www.altfordamerne.dk/kultur/...e-sa-meget-tid-som-mange-andre-borneborn-gor/
- It is my impression that Alt For Damerne is the most respectable of the women's weeklies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any Danes here who read it? Or should I try and get my hands on an issue? I think my mother-in-law reads it.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. I believe if you go to far in stream lineing a Royal family, making it "modern" buisness like and taking away the glamor and spectacle completely the people will grow disinterested and feel no particulare warmth or pride in the monarchy.

According to the agenda of the Spanish Royal House, King Felipe and Queen Letizia will attend the gala dinner on April 15

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Cena de Gala para celebrar el 75 cumpleaños de Su Majestad la Reina Margarita II de Dinamarca
Great news! I had feared that they would not attend and now I am looking forward to seeing them. It is nice to see more and more confirmations of the guests.

I am quite sure that both of Margrethe's sisters, Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte will be there as well. But I'd love to know which of their children will be on the guest list. My great wish is to see all the younger Greeks and Berleburgs at the same event, that would be gorgeous.

So lets hope that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will also attend on the 15th. I hope however they will attend on both days

Good news that Felipe VI and Queen Letizia are attending and I think this will be their first major royal gathering since Felipe became king.

Felipe and Letizia didn't pay us an introductory visit either so I'm extra stoked to see them as well :D

I am quite sure that both of Margrethe's sisters, Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte will be there as well. But I'd love to know which of their children will be on the guest list. My great wish is to see all the younger Greeks and Berleburgs at the same event, that would be gorgeous.

I think we can count on most of them being there since it's such a big event.

It is a wellknown fact that QMII is not very fond of little children. But I guess now that she can talk (intelligent talk that is) with at least the three eldest grandchildren, she is more and more fond of them.

It seems to be Kings/Queens attending the dinner of the 15th and crown prince/princesses only attending on the 16th as well as the Kings/Queen, is that right?

It seems to be Kings/Queens attending the dinner of the 15th and crown prince/princesses only attending on the 16th as well as the Kings/Queen, is that right?
I thought the same might be possible. But sofar we only know about the heirs from Norway and Sweden to be attending on the 16th. Most other heirs are too young and we have not heard about those from Luxembourg. It would be lovely to see Guillaum and Stephanie as well. It would be her first event in Denmark, wouldn't it?

The 8th was such a great event in the city of Aarhus. The family looked happy and it was treat to see Christian, Isabella and Nikolai and Felix.

The 15th and 16th are sure to be great as well with the family and many royal guests.
Well deserve for a great Queen i think

I thought the same might be possible. But sofar we only know about the heirs from Norway and Sweden to be attending on the 16th. Most other heirs are too young and we have not heard about those from Luxembourg. It would be lovely to see Guillaum and Stephanie as well. It would be her first event in Denmark, wouldn't it?

Just seems odd if the heirs only come for one night, whilst the reigning couples come for two.

I wonder who will represent Liechtenstein, Monaco and Britain, should they send anyone

I don't think Liechtenstein and Monaco will send a representative, but I hope the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend.

If I'm not mistaken, the Duke of Edinburgh was going to attend Queen Margrethe II's 70th birthday, but was stopped because of that volcano.

this is great. I think most monarchs will be attending on the 15th.

I wonder who will represent Liechtenstein, Monaco and Britain, should they send anyone

Unfortunately the Liechtenstein's don't attned the big Events in Denmark what is strange as in Sweden they often attend. As for Monaco i doubt Charlene will attend. perhaps Albert alone but i think he did not attend the Queen's 60th birthday celebrations only the Crown Princely Wedding.
As for Britain i hope they send Charles and Camilla. Philipp was to attned the Queen's 70th birthday celebrations in 2010 but had to cancel due to the Volacano but because of his advanced age i don't think he is to attend this year.

Philip, Edward and Anne all have duties on the 16th, Philip has a lunch on the 15th and I'd love him to fly over for evening with Queen Margrethe but at his age I understand that probably won't happen.
Charles and Camilla don't have anything on the RF website for 15th or 16th but with the RF being so rubbish at updating their website who knows!

I'd excited that the Luxembourg Grand Ducal couple will be attending as I didn't think they would with Henri being 60 on the 16th!

Can someone sum up in one post who of the royals will attend?

Can someone sum up in one post who of the royals will attend?

- The King and Queen of Sweden.
- The King of Norway.
- The King and Queen of the Netherlands.
- The King and Queen of the Belgians.
- The King and Queen of Spain.
- The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
- The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel of Sweden.
- The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway.

King & Queen of Sweden 15th & 16th
Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel 16th
King of Norway 15th & 16th (no mention of RF website of him attending 16th, Queen Sonja in America)
Crown Prince & Crown Princess of Norway 16th
Grand Duke & Grand Duchess of Luxembourg 15th (Grand Duke’s 60th birthday on 16th so unlikely to attend 16th)
King & Queen of The Belgians 15th (no mention of RF website of them attending 16th)
King & Queen of The Netherlands 15th & 16th (all guess work based on WA saying they would be attending during State Visit earlier this year)
King & Queen of Spain 15th & 16th (guessing about 16th as RF website very unclear to me if they are attending on 16th)

No news from UK, Monaco or Liechtenstein

Last edited:
I put him down for both but when I checked I could only see him down for the 15th but I am sure this is an error.
Edit - as I thought the Norwegian version states 15-16th the English version doesn't

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom