Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Majesty

thank you for all the info Muhler I have a special spot for those uniforms

The DRF website has published this bio and portrait of the Queen
Portræt af H.M. Dronningen - Kongehuset

A Interview given by Anne-Marie and Benedikte on their sister
Sammen med os kan Dronningen slappe af | Kristeligt Dagblad

"Especially in recent years, the Queen has conferred more tasks to the royal couple and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, and for the older generation, it is a pleasure to see that they approach them depends on their own way. Anne-Marie: "They do things differently and newer way. That's good, because you have to innovate. I think that makes it great, and I know that my sister seem the same. And she's crazy proud of his grandchildren. "
Benedikte: "She can see the future through them."
Anne-Marie: "Yes, the future through Frederik and little Christian. It is something that amuses her. "

Old 04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Notice also that it is a trompeter horse. The Guard Hussars uses only "white" horses as trompeter horses
Correct, FasterB The signalmen rode horses that were "reversed" in color to the rest of the horses in a squadron, so that the commanding officer could quickly locate his signalman in the confusion.
Individual squadrons (and sometimes whole regiments!) rode, when possible, horses of uniform color, so that the colonel (or rather lieutenant colonel, who was often the one who was in charge on the battlefield and on a day to day basis in the regiment) could easier ID them from a distance.

General Custer, or colonel Custer depending on your view, got himself mighty unpopular when in charge of the 7th US Cavalry, because he at one point demanded that the troopers should exchange horses so that the squadrons rode as uniform horses as possible.
Needless to say neither troopers nor horses appreciated having to change horses (and riders), horses they had sometimes ridden since enlistment. (*)
Especially since individual squadrons were spread in small outposts all over the place most of the time and as the regiments only rarely operated as one unit, so few could see the point.

(*) A typical enlistment period in the 1870's lasted five years and the average troopers served one period, very often less, because the desertion rate was high. During that five year period the average trooper could expect to see action once.
The exception was actually the two black cavalry regiments, the 9th and 10th. The troopers here were usually long-timers and as such very experienced, a thing that is not so well known... The reason being that soldiering was a career where a black man could rise by merit and at the same time be sure to have employment for a very long time.
The ten US Cavalry regiments were hopelessly overstretched so it was decided to rise additional squadrons of mounted infantry, who being armed with rifles were very effective once they got to grips with the Native Americans. Alas, mounted infantry is not as glamorous as cavalry so Hollywood has neglected to give them much coverage. - But I get carried away...

You are welcome, Polyesco.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 AM
Aristocracy

Looks like the festivities are going to be really "international".

K Philippe and Q Mathilde will attend Q Margrethe's birthday gala on April 15th, which happens to be K Philippe's 55th birthday.
De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Actueel - Agenda - 75ste verjaardag van Hare Majesteit Koningin Margrethe II van Denemarken
Philippe and Mathilde likely skip the April 16th activities in Denmark because on that very day their daughter Eleonore turns 7. And Philippe's cousin GD Henri celebrates his 60th birthday too. Many parties to attend these 2 days.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness

As much as I love Margrethe having big birthdays every 5 years it seems a little odd that there is a big celebration for a 75th birthday but nothing public going in for Henri's 60th, I wonder if Margarethe checked if Henri wanted 'a turn' at being birthday boy before she invited everyone?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
As much as I love Margrethe having big birthdays every 5 years it seems a little odd that there is a big celebration for a 75th birthday but nothing public going in for Henri's 60th, I wonder if Margarethe checked if Henri wanted 'a turn' at being birthday boy before she invited everyone?
I doubt it. It is QM2's 75th, she did what she wanted to. If Henri wanted to do something, he would have as well, and the attendees would have chosen where they went.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

This big birthday celebrations are typical for Denmark, they are not typical for Luxembourg. The grand-ducal family tend to celebrate on a smaller scale. Btw I believe that the royals keep in contact privately, chatting on the phone here and there. The question might or might not have come up, but they would never let the public know about such conversations.

I'm glad that the attendance of the Belgian King and Queen has been announced. Although I had hope that Albert and Paola might also attend. They are the same generation as Queen Margrethe and have known each other for ages.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I find it also a bit unusual to celebrate the 75 birthday so big as neither the 55th or 65th where celebrated big. But i love it that there will lots of Galas and all this.
Perhaps the belgian King and Queen feel obligated to attend this time as they where forced to attend the 70th birthday celbrations because to Volcano ash clouds.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

I think that it is because 75 is three quarters of a century. I know of many people who celebrate 75 rather big. Also institutions, companies, etc. often celebrate their 75th anniversary. The same often goes for 25 anniversaries which usually are bigger festivities than 20 or 30. And even the Princes Consort had a very big 75th birthday celebration, it was much bigger than his 80th. So I am not at all surprised.

I remember that 5 years ago the Dutch RF arrived by night train to be able to attend. If memory serves me right, the Belgian and Luxembourg Royals could not do that because they had other engagements which left no time for such slow travel. The other Skandinavian Royals arrived by car and ferry, but Queen Silvia did not make it in time for the theatre gala. But she was seen at the reception after the gala.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Lux. GD couple did attend. Perhaps hey went by car? On the way back they traveled with the Dutch royals on the royal train. The Belgians were unable to attend indeed. QMII told a Dutch tv-show that the Lux. couple also traveled to Copenhagen on the Dutch train but perhaps she remembers it wrong. At the arrival only the Dutch royals appeared on the station platform.

In The Netherlands it is more likely that f.e. a company will celebrate its 75th anniversary instead of 70 or 80. The same goes for 25 instead of 20 or 30. So I do not find it all that odd. The same applies to weddings and even birthdays. I do not know if this is also the case in Denmark though.

It is a nice surprise that the king and queen of the Belgians will attend. Let's hope we will see Queen Mathilde with a tiara she has never worn before. The 9-provinces in full setting or ideally the Spanish tiara of Queen Fabiola.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

The Lux. GD couple did attend. Perhaps hey went by car? On the way back they traveled with the Dutch royals on the royal train. The Belgians were unable to attend indeed. QMII told a Dutch tv-show that the Lux. couple also traveled to Copenhagen on the Dutch train but perhaps she remembers it wrong. At the arrival only the Dutch royals appeared on the station platform.

In The Netherlands it is more likely that f.e. a company will celebrate its 75th anniversary instead of 70 or 80. The same goes for 25 instead of 20 or 30. So I do not find it all that odd. The same applies to weddings and even birthdays. I do not know if this is also the case in Denmark though.

It is a nice surprise that the king and queen of the Belgians will attend. Let's hope we will see Queen Mathilde with a tiara she has never worn before. The 9-provinces in full setting or ideally the Spanish tiara of Queen Fabiola.
Ther lucemburgian GD Ducal Couple was also there for the Theater Gala, the dutch RF not they attended only thex next day.
I share your hope regarding Queen Mathilde.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Ooops, thanks for correcting me on the Luxembourg couple. Let's hope that they will attend this year also, in spite of the 60th birthday. Preferably with Guillaume and charming Stéphanie in tow.

It would clearly make my day to see Queen Mathilde with the fleuron tiara of late Queen Paola. My hopes are not high though. You may call me a pessimist.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

The Dutch have a royal train?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Yes, they've also used it for a holiday in Austria.

All aboard: Willem-Alexander & Máxima take daughters on royal train for holiday - News Summary R O Y A L B L O G. N L
Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I dont really care what birthday year it is that they are celebrating to be honest. I am just glad that they are celebrating big, royals attending and having fun. How fun is that for royal watchers.

I know a few people who don't like to celebrate their birthdays or make it a big deal. I won't be surprised if some royals are that way as well.

Norwegian royals will be attending, thats great! I just hope that the Spanish King and Queen attend, Friday seems a long way to know.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Majesty

Will it be 3 tiara Events?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I'm glad that the attendance of the Belgian King and Queen has been announced. Although I had hope that Albert and Paola might also attend. They are the same generation as Queen Margrethe and have known each other for ages.
I'm under the impression that Albert and Paola don't seem to like these royal festivities all that much since they skipped so many of them. They weren't scheduled to attend QMII's 70th birthday celebrations, they didn't attend the 70th birthday celebrations of Harald and Sonja, they missed the silver wedding celebrations of their nephew GD Henri, etc.

And I too would like to see Mathilde with Fabiola's tiara but it would be even more exciting if she would turn up with a really long lost piece like Q Astrid's Stockholm wedding tiara worn as brooch to fix her sash. Unlikely I know but it would absolutely make my day.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Will it be 3 tiara Events?
We don't yet know for sure, Josefine. I think that there will be two tiara events: the dinners on the 15th and 16th. Tomorrow there will be concert in Aarhus, but I don't think that there will be tiaras.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 75th is a big birthday! It's three quarters of a century. I perfectly understand why QMII wants to celebrate that. And as for Henrik... well, however much he wants to be, he's not the king and the rules that apply for QMII don't necessarily apply for him. I must say though, I thoroughly appreciate that for his birthday concert/gala/thing last year, he prioritised "inviting" (well, you had to pay but you know) the public rather than acquaintances. That was a nice touch that he didn't get enough credit for.

How lovely that Philippe and Mathilde will attend even though it's on Philippe's birthday – perhaps they prioritised QMII's birthday because they snubbed us of an introductory visit? (I am still moderately offended by that, I don't know if that's obvious )

I'm so stoked to see if the BRF will send someone and, if so, who.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Might it be Charles & Camilla who represent the BRF?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness

Edward and Sophie often represent the BRF at such events although I think for the Queen's 70th birthday the Duke of Edinburgh was going to attend before the volcano stopped flights.
I'd like to point out I'm glad Margrethe is having such a big birthday (and my previous post wasn't a criticism) so we get to see all the royals partying, I was just wondering about how/if there were talks between Margrethe and Henri as both have big birthdays to celebrate.

Edit - Philip, Edward and Anne all have events scheduled for the 16th April

Tags
queen margrethe's 75th birthday, queen margrethes birthday