The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I think that comment is a bit harsh. We don't know the extend of his illness – perhaps it was a hefty cold, perhaps he truly did have influenza, perhaps it's something else. Regardless, illness at any rate at the age of 80 should not be taken on lightly – however dubious his recreational trip to Venice might be. And I, for one, don't for a minute believe that he voluntarily would have missed out on the birthday celebrations.

The Danish equivalent to the Daily Fail, Ekstra Bladet, has gone on a bullying crusade of Henrik and is basically following his every move at this point. When I read today's article, all I could think was: boy, do they have some explaining to do if he turns out to be very ill
I don't think Henrik would have deliberately missed the birthday celebrations,either, and think the speculation and criticisms directed towards him are unfair, (although he has made himself an easy target with some of his past actions).
IMO the simplest explanation is that Henrik got sick just before all the fuss started, was recovering during the several day period of the celebration itself and then felt well enough to go to Venice as planned. It might have looked better for him to skip the Venice trip but, honestly, he's eighty years old. Who knows how much time he has left to be able to enjoy things like this?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The article mentions two recent events, connected or not : the absence at the festivities and putting an end to his activities in his wine business. That is indeed a lot.
I am aware that we are fully in the area of spéculations, but I think this man is trying to say that he wants to retire, as other do!
Of course he has no power, but what about his influence in their hosehold? I think he wants to be heard!!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Like always, the level of unfairness towards the Prince Consort amazes me.

Someone summed up the situation really well, on the comment section of The Local:

So the tabloid press expects an 80 year old to continue running a company from a distance while dealing with official duties in Denmark? As for the trip to Venice, it sounds like he'd rather not be subjected to the Danish health care system any more than other foreigners who travel for decent health care.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Majesty

If PH is unwell I would not be surprised if he insists on not revealing the details. He comes from a generation that values their personal privacy while we live in a reality world where an awful lot of information is more than many of us ever wanted to know.

If he is, it is creating a PR minefield, but whatever the cause, both his wife and children seem prepared to play the game and carry on regardless. I think after decades of being in the spotlight he may feel the need for personal space.

Who can blame him? He is just like Prince Philip and we only know about his health because he was admitted to hospital. Prince Henrik can preserve is dignity until he can't, in his own inimitable way, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

One more gallery
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark celebrates her 75th birthday - Images _ Ricardo Ramirez Photography
Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Majesty

Thanks, Lady Finn, for your tireless work.

The saga about PH's flu continues!

Roskilde found a poll in BT, but she's busy so I'll take it.

Danskerne dumper prins Henrik: 'Han havde ikke influenza' - Danmark | www.bt.dk
A Gallup survey has shown that the Danes don't buy PH's flu.

The exact questions are not specified, but here is the result of the survey:
1.290 took part.
15 % do believe had had a flu.
58 % believe he humiliated QMII by not taking part in the festivities.
About a quarter do not agree this could be interpreted as a humiliation.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Majesty

It's sad really, if Prince Henrik's absence didn't put a damper on the festivities for Queen Margrethe, the continuing negative speculation must have rubbed what little amount of gold left right off the gingerbread.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have to agree - these festivities, possibly the last milestone birthday of her life, will forever be coupled with Henrik's "in-flew-enza".
Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I have to agree - these festivities, possibly the last milestone birthday of her life, will forever be coupled with Henrik's "in-flew-enza".
That's who he is! It looks as if he wants to harm his family.

He is not the first Prince Consort of history
Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
If PH is unwell I would not be surprised if he insists on not revealing the details. He comes from a generation that values their personal privacy while we live in a reality world where an awful lot of information is more than many of us ever wanted to know.
Who can blame him? He is just like Prince Philip and we only know about his health because he was admitted to hospital. Prince Henrik can preserve is dignity until he can't, in his own inimitable way, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.
The problem is NOT about details about his health!! but about waiting just 2 or 3 extra days before appearing abroad, ie just making his story more credible.!!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree 100 % with you Anne2, that is the point !
Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2 View Post
The problem is NOT about details about his health!! but about waiting just 2 or 3 extra days before appearing abroad, ie just making his story more credible.!!
Royals have taken recreational vacations since forever. That he goes so soon after the festivities can seem dubious, sure, but it doesn't mean that he wasn't ill – it means that the DRF's PR department has failed in avoiding this hullabaloo.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think you can blame it on the PR department, they can only try and make the best out of the situation and clearly Henrik wasn't bothered about keeping the hullabaloo to a minimum.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Courtier

A lot of people call 3 day virus the flu, when it isn't influenza. Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

He has to live with his wife and family and if their was any funny buisness they will be the ones to be rightfully upset and disappointed in him.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The flue is the best diplomatic illness because you have to stay home .
Prince Henrik had to stay home and a week later should go to Venice for recovery and would be seen and they will be no critics and his Reputation should be unchanged.

My respect to HM the Queen who really enjoyed her birthday with such a Royal Attitude.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Majesty

Kong Henrik undersøgt på flere sygehuse – Ekstra Bladet

The court has confirmed that PH went for an examination at two hospitals in Copenhagen prior to QMI's birthday, Rigshospitalet and Bispebjerg Hospital.

Also QMII said the the press conference that PH was sick with something that resembles flu.

- Perhaps members in Copenhagen can help. Does Bispebjerg Hospital have a specialty that might spring to mind?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

They have a large pathology branch – but it's obviously not that. IIRC, they also have a large department for lung cancer. And then Bispebjerg is covering most everything psychiatry in Copenhagen.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Majesty

And Rigshospitalet have state of the art scanners...

Perhaps he booked a time with the pathologist?

I've donated my body to science and the pathologist I spoke with at Aarhus University admonished me not to let myself being stabbed or shot, otherwise they couldn't embalm me.

BTW. BB today is quoting Lene Balleby for confirming that PH went to "routine check ups" at two hospitals over two coherent days, upon returning from Venice.
- More on that when I start posting summaries.

When in hospital you can assess your condition using this easy guide:
The doctor walks right past you with hardly a glance = No need to worry.
A doctor looks at you and move on = You'll recover all right.
The doctor walks up to you first and ignores the other patients and speaks about you as "an interesting case". = There are serious reasons for concern!
Several doctors stand around you, using expressions like "fascinating", "novel", "remarkable" and "The Lancet". = You are in big, big trouble!
A pathologist presents himself to you - looking delighted... = Time to make a reservation for a one room suite with a lid!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hope that Prince Henrik has not something bad. I don't personnaly never believe that Prince Henrik did not want to attend to the birthday festivities , I always believe that Prince Henrik had a flu . I hope that it is not worst.

Tags
queen margrethe's 75th birthday, queen margrethes birthday