The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Okay, this conversation has gone back and forth long enough. If you wish to discuss the merits of formal vs informal language, please do so either via PM or open a thread about it in the Member's Corner.

Further posts on the matter will be removed at moderator discretion.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

This woman is amazing! What. Charming way of correcting him and he should have known better. There is no excuse for him and he will receive probably more attention fron this than fron anything else in his life.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Majesty

QMII has given another interview. This time in the radio to the respected foreign affairs correspondent, Steffen Gram.

And QMII has become more outspoken recently, while still retaining her diplomatic tact: Dronningen om Ukraine-konflikten: Man tænker jo på Europa i 30'erne | Nyheder | DR

QMII attended the Normandy-commemorations last year, while the Ukraine crisis was hot and she was seated next to President Putin.
How do a Queen handle such a situation?
"One says a few polite words because one is a well-behaved person. - You shouldn't after all show a too sharp, cold shoulder, because that is also an act (diplomatic act).
I'm afraid I happened to speak a great deal more with President Hollande".

The Ukraine crisis is of course something QMII has pondered: "When you see what happens, it is not impossible to think about what happened in Europe towards the end of the 1930's".

However the situation is different today. Europe is more united and there is NATO. So there is no need to be intimidated.
"We must be very clear that this is not where we play with fire. Here we must try and see things in a sober manner, but not let us be cowed. The last thing we must do is to be afraid".
(Unfortunately I can't do her complete justice in regards to the subtleties of the language she is using. Suffice to say that few foreign ministers could do better).

She also talks about the Danish participation in peacekeeping and wars in recent decades.
The way the Danes have accepted casualties impress her. (*)
"Now I certainly sound like an old aunt, but I hadn't really believed we would be so mature about it - that is that is you are involved in that sort of things, then not everyone will return alive. But that was done in a very grand manner. That I think".

She is proud of the soldiers: "There was a lot of respect about the effort put in from the Danish side. We weren't that many, but we could do what we were supposed to.
We owe them a lot of respect all the young people, who has been out. Both in Iraq and in Helmand. Those who flew to Libya and those who are flying now (F16's bombing ISIS in Iraq). That is really well done".

She also speaks about the increasing globalization, which is both challenging and a bit frightening at the same time, But she also says easy now, coll it, it ain't as bad as it's made up to be.

(*) In fact, in contrast to practically all other countries in the coalition the public support for the war in Afghanistan, or perhaps rather the support for the troops, has consistently been very high until very recently, despite DK having the highest fatality rate per capita among the coalition forces.
Something that was noted and wondered at abroad.

ADDED:

PH is today still down with flu.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Question - what is the difference between the gala dinner on the 15th and the gala dinner on the 16th?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Serene Highness

IIUC the one on 15th is a state dinner with officials from Dk and abroad.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
IIUC the one on 15th is a state dinner with officials from Dk and abroad.
The 15th is a dinner for "official Denmark" and the 16th is, I think,
a private dinner for family and friends.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks - I hope we will get pictures for the second one too!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good question Duke. I was wondering the same thing. Do we know if we will get tiaras?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Serene Highness

IIRC in 2010 both dinners (and the theatre evening) were tiara events.
I guess it will be the same this time.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Majesty

Hoffet: Prinsgemalen kommer ikke til at deltage i de næste dages fejringer | Nyheder | DR

The court has announced that PH due to his flu, will not take part in the birthday celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
Good question Duke. I was wondering the same thing. Do we know if we will get tiaras?
According to BB the first night at least will be a tiara event.
Can't find that article off hand, but it's online on the BB site somewhere.

Presumably the second night will also be a tiara event.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

What a shame that Henrik will miss those special days due to illness!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Hoffet: Prinsgemalen kommer ikke til at deltage i de næste dages fejringer | Nyheder | DR

The court has announced that PH due to his flu, will not take part in the birthday celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
What a shame that Henrik will miss those special days due to illness!!!
What a pity!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Really a pity that Henrik can not attend. Wonder what that means for the carriage tour. Will the Queen be alone in the coach or will she perhaps joined by the Crown Princely Couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
IIRC in 2010 both dinners (and the theatre evening) were tiara events.
I guess it will be the same this time.
Not only in 2010 but also for other Dinners (Prince Henrik's 70th birthday etc.) who where labelled as private. Usually the dress code then was black tie but with tiara optional for the ladies
Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Gentry

A shame PH is ill.

Color me jaded, but I can't shake the thought he is having another one of his little tantrums.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh what a pity that Prince Henrik will not be present to this wondrfull event.!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

What a shame Henrik will not be able to attend. Hope the Queen enjoys her days even without Henrik missing

a cool little chart of tomorrow and the 16th events and places
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/htm/grafik/...ogram_huge.png
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A NEW PORTRAIT OF HM THE QUEEN

In the case of HM the Queen's 75th birthday, the National Museum donated a new portrait of the Queen painted by the artist Lars Physant.... -
Translated article ** Original article
Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

A shame about Henrik. It sort of reminds me of QEII's diamond jubilee when the DoE was hospitalised and had to miss out on the remaining events, you could see that it affected QEII and likewise, it must also be so sad for QMII to have to celebrate without Henrik.

It'll be interesting to see if Mary and Frederik will ride the carriage alongside QMII. Also the balcony issue, I doubt QMII will be all alone on the middle balcony – perhaps Mary, Frederik and the children will appear on the same balcony as QMII and then with Joachim, Marie and their children, and Benedikte, Anne-Marie and their husbands on the other two.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Serene Highness

Or perhaps she will appear with her 2 sisters?

In 2010 the volcano in Iceland put a little damper on the celebrations, this year it will be Henrik's illness. I hope he isn't severely ill, so Margrethe has to worry about him.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Majesty

Another and better look at the new portrait the National Museum has made of Margrethe, the archeologist. It sure is different, but not bad. It's for once a painting I could imagine having on the wall.
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...-margrethe.jpg

ADDED; A video of the unveiling from BB: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige...edselsdagsgave
Poor flowergirl! Even though the leaves are beginning to emerge it's still not that warm.

The media today speculate about how serious PH's illness is. Considering that flu does kill quite a few elderly each year, the speculations are perhaps justified.
I don't believe QMII is particularly concerned though. The mood and body language of QMII during the press meeting didn't suggest to me that QMII was worried.

Tags
queen margrethe's 75th birthday, queen margrethes birthday