Queen Margrethe's 70th Birthday Celebrations: March-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, none of the British Royals attended.

Is there a reason none of the British Royals did not attend - were they not invited or something? There were no major celebrations going on that conflicted with it, nor was travel an issue as CP Haakon made it from London. Certainly some member of the family could've gone.

Thanks for all the lovely pictures. Beautiful dresses and beautiful ladies as well as gentlemen, of course. I loved seeing King Constantine, Queen Anne Marie and Alexia , as well as Haakon and Mette-Marit and Wilhelm and Maxima. Those are my favourites. What a shame the volcano ashes made it impossible for the Spanish and Belgians to go as well.

It was certain he hadn't run his speech past Mary beforehand, or else she wouldn't have reacted that way afterward. And I certainly don't think her behavior was that big of a deal - she was just one table over from his in the ballroom. She didn't go far!

To what is it you refer? I think I've missed something :)

Has the Duchess of York attended the celebrations?

Why would Sarah, Duchess of York have attended the celebrations when she is not a member of the royal family, thus, not an official representative of the UK?

I understand that Prince Phillip was supposed to have attended, but the ashcloud prevented him from going to DK Friday.

Is there a reason none of the British Royals did not attend - were they not invited or something? There were no major celebrations going on that conflicted with it, nor was travel an issue as CP Haakon made it from London. Certainly some member of the family could've gone.

I think the Danish just don´t care about this. It´s hard to believe ALL OF THEM are interested in such superficial matters. And please, do not tell me what to do, because I follow everything that happens in the world, even a war, as much as i hate it.

The comparison between a president´s security and this celebrations in quite naive, so i won´t comment any further.

I don´t intend to start a discussion, so please do not defend yourselves, this is not an attack. I have the right to say this is obscene as well as you have the right to take delight in events you can just watch from far away and only dream about. If i´m not entitled to express my opinion, then i´m in the wrong forum.

I never said a queen should not celebrate her birthday (if you read well); I never said starvation is a problem in Denmark (please do not assume things I didn´t write); I only said a dinner would have done it. And that this tour of celebrations was just OBSCENE.

And yes, a comment about throwing their incomes to the sea is offensive and disgusting. And i stick to my point.
Some people need to take their eyes out to the screen and see the real world. and grow up.

Dear Rosana,

I don't know what reception you thought this comment and others like them would get here on The Royal Forums. Perhaps you thought we'd all rally around you, be scandalized by HM's 70th Birthday celebrations, and start a call for the abolition of monarchy throughout Europe? I'm very sorry to disappoint you, but I would imagine most participants in these forums consider themselves more on the monarchist side.

My best advice to you is to reserve these comments for an anti-monarchy forum somewhere. If not, at the very least don't be surprised when such opinions don't exactly get a warm reception here.

What I will ask you to consider, though, is that these royals are people who are bound by duty to the people of their countries, and who are thereby obligated to give back to those communities. You might better direct your negative energy toward people who have lots of money (more than most royals, even) who do not owe their wealth to anyone around them and accordingly help no one with it.

So.
If we have an opinion different of you, we don't have to post it here?
Because you think it's anti-monarchic? We have to post only the positive comments?
A realy want to know.

It is possible they weren't invited, or they turned down the invitation?
Or didn't like not flying. ;)

Has the Duchess of York attended the celebrations?

Why would she?

For the royal wedding on June 19th , the Queens and Princesses who didn't show up will have no problems of recycling their dresses .. they will be brand new.

Dear Rosana,

What I will ask you to consider, though, is that these royals are people who are bound by duty to the people of their countries, and who are thereby obligated to give back to those communities. You might better direct your negative energy toward people who have lots of money (more than most royals, even) who do not owe their wealth to anyone around them and accordingly help no one with it.

At least they have earned what they waste.

I repeat, I didn´t mean to start a discussion. I´m only stating my opinion of how exaggerated all these celebrations are (for those who wanted to know what on earth I´m doing here). It´s nothing against the Danish, If the one-week celebration took place somewhere else, it would be as scandalous for me.

Btw, read some surveys, because the support towards monarchy is decreasing everywhere, and such extravagance does not help much.

Apart from that, if people are glad to pay more and more cost for the Crown, I´ll be watching the circus and commenting. Is it that terrible?

I repeat, I didn´t mean to start a discussion.

We, all of us, have a right to contribute our thoughts and opinions and mine are no more relevant than your own, but, it's also the way in which one expressess their dissaproval about a particular topic. As a result, this can, and does, encourage discussions that quite often than not turn into something they shouldn't. It can be avoided :)

You weren't paricularly impressed about the events in Denmark, but going on to say it's 'obscene' was, imo and in the opinion of many others, a great exaggeration. It's been my obersation that contrary opinions that lack the need for unconstructive embellishment are better recieved as other memers are more likely to take any such opinions more seriously.

I understand that Prince Phillip was supposed to have attended, but the ashcloud prevented him from going to DK Friday.

It would have been nice to have seen the Duke of Edinburgh attend. He looks dashing in his order of the Elephant and he and Margrethe, so I've read (where I cannot recall right now), get along very well.

It would have been nice to have seen the Duke of Edinburgh attend. He looks dashing in his order of the Elephant and he and Margrethe, so I've read (where I cannot recall right now), get along very well.

True, but its a bit far for an 89 year old to travel by surface transport.

Which is I wasn't meaning by land. I was referring to his attendance if it had have been by air :)

It's amusing though, particularly for me being first and foremost an Australian, when I hear how arduous surface travel can be for Europeans'. Driving to Canberra from Melbourne is around 7 hours, and to Sydney it's 9, or there abouts. Personally, I always fly :)biggrin:) when I travel domestically nowadys, but I have driven through to Brisbane once before, and that was 22 or so hours on the road.

It's natural that because so many countries make up Europe, that the relatively small distances (compared to countries like Australia) Europeans' must travel seem quite long to them. But it's all relative of course.

Did the Duchess of York attend the celebrations?

No, none of the British Royals attended.

What has Sarah Ferguson , D o Y to do with the Queen of Denmark´s birthday?
And she´s not a "british Royal" since 14 years !
Sorry, no offence, but it sounds as if you´ve lived under a rock for over 10 years by now.

Which is I wasn't meaning by land. I was referring to his attendance if it had have been by air :)

It's amusing though, particularly for me being first and foremost an Australian, when I hear how arduous surface travel can be for Europeans'. Driving to Canberra from Melbourne is around 7 hours, and to Sydney it's 9, or there abouts. Personally, I always fly :)biggrin:) when I travel domestically nowadys, but I have driven through to Brisbane once before, and that was 22 or so hours on the road.

It's natural that because so many countries make up Europe, that the relatively small distances (compared to countries like Australia) Europeans' must travel seem quite long to them. But it's all relative of course.

This is a little of topic but I recently travelled from the North of England to Berlin, Germany and that took me just over 28 hours.
Travelling across Europe takes a lot, especially not by flight.
I'm surprised and quite glad that Haakon made it, as did the Dutch royals via train. They must of course be used to travelling. :)

What a wonderful speech, I am so glad I could read it in english. He certainly seems like he is proud of his mother.

I guess this must belong in this thread:

Billed-Bladet - Prins Henriks vovede gave til dronning Margrethe

Billed Bladet has an article about a present from Prince Henrik to QMII.

It's a bronce sculpture, called "the kiss". PH has previously made that sculpture in a smaller version and presented it to QMII some years ago. But now this bigger version will stand in the park at Fredensborg Palace. Apparantly in the view of the bedroom window, because Queen Margrethe could see it, when the guests sang for her on the morning of her birthday.

I like it. It's tender yet erotic and it's art that can be understood. - Even by those of us, who watch art while supporting ourselves on our hairy knuckles.

wow, very moving, now i undestand why Mary kiised him! I would have done the same! really wery touching speech! even including his brother name!!!!!!!!is certenly a beautiful speech, hope he wrote it all by himself!!!!!
just one thing i do not understand may be somebody can clarified this for me, but I often read about Fred having a lonly childhood, being always taken care by the nannies that is was a distance rlation with his parents, so what is all about it? what it is the true?

This is a little of topic but I recently travelled from the North of England to Berlin, Germany and that took me just over 28 hours.
Travelling across Europe takes a lot, especially not by flight.
I'm surprised and quite glad that Haakon made it, as did the Dutch royals via train. They must of course be used to travelling. :)

I've lived between Australia and Europe my whole life, so I know the distance between countries in Europe well. I was just making the point that you'll find Europeans' are more prone to complaining about distance than you would hear of any Australian's as we are used to long distances.

In that 28 hours you travelled through what, three countires? In that time you wouldn't even make it from the base of Victoria to the half way mark of Queensland. But as I said, it's all relative.

I had given up on every being able to read it - thanks for posting, Paty!

I think it's a wonderful speech - now I know what everyone was raving about! It's very sweet, and it sounds like Fred and Joachim had a much better childhood than is often portrayed. I love that description of him running down the hall at Fredensborg into her arms.

I had been a bit put out earlier over Mary's kissing Fred at the end and thought it was a little over the top, but I'm totally willing to forgive it now. I can see why she was so pleased with him.

What a nice speech by Frederik. No wonder why Mary ran to kiss and congratulate him.

What a wonderful speech Fredrik gave for his mother's birtday. Thanks so much for translating it for us, Paty.

I guess this must belong in this thread:

Billed-Bladet - Prins Henriks vovede gave til dronning Margrethe

Billed Bladet has an article about a present from Prince Henrik to QMII.

It's a bronce sculpture, called "the kiss". PH has previously made that sculpture in a smaller version and presented it to QMII some years ago. But now this bigger version will stand in the park at Fredensborg Palace. Apparantly in the view of the bedroom window, because Queen Margrethe could see it, when the guests sang for her on the morning of her birthday.

I like it. It's tender yet erotic and it's art that can be understood. - Even by those of us, who watch art while supporting ourselves on our hairy knuckles.

It's an interesting and beautiful sculpture, although I must admit that I was shocked at the overt eroticism of it for a publicly displayed gift for a head of state, even if it was from husband to wife.

How do Danes react to seeing this piece? I have a feeling that it would be considered pretty scandalous here in the United States, but I know Americans generally tend to be more conservative than Scandinavians about things like this.

Not to derail the topic, but I find it most interesting that in the States this sculpture should be thought of as scandalous. It just strikes me as somewhat odd when the United Sates is the premier producer and consumer of sexually explicit material throughout the world. Conservative you say? When it suits...;):D

But certainly you cannot taint an entire nation with the same brush, as you have here proven...:)

Personally, I think it's an 'ok' sculpture. Not particularly to my liking as I'm not particularly fond of cast iron sculpturing (which is what it appears to be).

Well, I'm an American and I don't think you would be far off-base to call me something of a prude about sex. :flowers: (But I'm much more conservative than a lot of my peers.) I can see how it could be scandalous here in the States, but I'm all right with it...I actually think I might even like it. Most of my sexual prudity is based on not liking sex outside of marriage, or sex for its own sake, or purely self-serving sex. In the context of marriage, as an expression of love between a married couple, I think it's a wonderful thing worthy of being celebrated. (I'm hesitant to speak for other people's views, but I think a lot of people who are conservative about these sorts of things would agree with all that.) Therefore, since Henrik and Margrethe are, in fact, married, I don't have a problem with it, and I think it's rather lovely. I do find it a bit odd to stick such a statue in the garden, but hey, it's their yard. :)

A lovely response and I entirely understand your reasoning. Infact, I genuinely respect it :)

To me, the sculpture is representative of a burning desire, passion and unaffected intimacy in it's purest of forms. The warmth of anothers' touch, and the feelings of comfort and pleasure it creates are a truly wondrous thing. Unclothed they are but two people, a man and a women, a husband and his wife, in love, totally and utterly devoted. It's real, it's shared, and it's their truth.

Back
Top Bottom