The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Courtier

I had given up on every being able to read it - thanks for posting, Paty!

I think it's a wonderful speech - now I know what everyone was raving about! It's very sweet, and it sounds like Fred and Joachim had a much better childhood than is often portrayed. I love that description of him running down the hall at Fredensborg into her arms.

I had been a bit put out earlier over Mary's kissing Fred at the end and thought it was a little over the top, but I'm totally willing to forgive it now. I can see why she was so pleased with him.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a nice speech by Frederik. No wonder why Mary ran to kiss and congratulate him.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Finally a picture of Sonja
She wears the small Queen Maud pearl tiara and a yellow gown ( the one she wore for a SV from Spain)
http://img5.imagevenue.com/img.php?i..._122_111lo.jpg
berlingske
I really like that gown, i thought you were refering to noe of her more flamboint and colouful yellow gowns.

She looks wonderful, and if i may say so much younger than margrethe even though she's not!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
What a nice speech by Frederik. No wonder why Mary ran to kiss and congratulate him.
Yes indeed!

Another wonderful photo from Billed Bladet online under the article entitled"
Annemette Krakau: Frederiks tale står tilbage" (scroll down to the bottom of the article)

Billed-Bladet - Annemette Krakau: Frederiks tale står tilbage
Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Royal Highness

What a wonderful speech Fredrik gave for his mother's birtday. Thanks so much for translating it for us, Paty.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I guess this must belong in this thread:

Billed-Bladet - Prins Henriks vovede gave til dronning Margrethe

Billed Bladet has an article about a present from Prince Henrik to QMII.

It's a bronce sculpture, called "the kiss". PH has previously made that sculpture in a smaller version and presented it to QMII some years ago. But now this bigger version will stand in the park at Fredensborg Palace. Apparantly in the view of the bedroom window, because Queen Margrethe could see it, when the guests sang for her on the morning of her birthday.

I like it. It's tender yet erotic and it's art that can be understood. - Even by those of us, who watch art while supporting ourselves on our hairy knuckles.
It's an interesting and beautiful sculpture, although I must admit that I was shocked at the overt eroticism of it for a publicly displayed gift for a head of state, even if it was from husband to wife.

How do Danes react to seeing this piece? I have a feeling that it would be considered pretty scandalous here in the United States, but I know Americans generally tend to be more conservative than Scandinavians about things like this.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Not to derail the topic, but I find it most interesting that in the States this sculpture should be thought of as scandalous. It just strikes me as somewhat odd when the United Sates is the premier producer and consumer of sexually explicit material throughout the world. Conservative you say? When it suits...

But certainly you cannot taint an entire nation with the same brush, as you have here proven...

Personally, I think it's an 'ok' sculpture. Not particularly to my liking as I'm not particularly fond of cast iron sculpturing (which is what it appears to be).

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Courtier

Well, I'm an American and I don't think you would be far off-base to call me something of a prude about sex. (But I'm much more conservative than a lot of my peers.) I can see how it could be scandalous here in the States, but I'm all right with it...I actually think I might even like it. Most of my sexual prudity is based on not liking sex outside of marriage, or sex for its own sake, or purely self-serving sex. In the context of marriage, as an expression of love between a married couple, I think it's a wonderful thing worthy of being celebrated. (I'm hesitant to speak for other people's views, but I think a lot of people who are conservative about these sorts of things would agree with all that.) Therefore, since Henrik and Margrethe are, in fact, married, I don't have a problem with it, and I think it's rather lovely. I do find it a bit odd to stick such a statue in the garden, but hey, it's their yard.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

A lovely response and I entirely understand your reasoning. Infact, I genuinely respect it

To me, the sculpture is representative of a burning desire, passion and unaffected intimacy in it's purest of forms. The warmth of anothers' touch, and the feelings of comfort and pleasure it creates are a truly wondrous thing. Unclothed they are but two people, a man and a women, a husband and his wife, in love, totally and utterly devoted. It's real, it's shared, and it's their truth.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paty View Post
Here is (finally) the official and entire translation of Prince Frederik speech to his mother at the Fredensborg dinner.

TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Her Majesty the Queen's 70th birthday
Thank you so much for this. Lovely speech, without being overlysentimental.

This Royal family, in my opinion, represents the best blending of public and private life, and balance between love and respect, in the Royal "universe" at this time.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Courtier

Beautifully put, Madame Royale. I like your description.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Not to derail the topic, but I find it most interesting that in the States this scuplture should be thought of as scandalous. It just strikes me as somewhat odd when the United Sates is the premier producer and consumer of sexually explicit material throughout the world. Conservative you say? When it suits...

But certainly you cannot taint an entire nation with the same brush, as you have here proven...

Personally, I think it's an 'ok' sculpture. Not particularly to my liking as I'm not particularly fond of cast iron sculpturing (which is what it appears to be).
Oh, make no mistake, the U.S. is a very puritanical country. You wouldn't know it based on what comes out of -- or happens in -- Hollywood, but as a society, Americans are relatively conservative, at least on sexual issues. I would guess that if a president were to give a sculpture like this to his wife -- and display it publicly -- he'd probably face threats of arrest for indecency, possibly even impeachment. (Heck, here in the Washington, D.C., area where I live, a man was recently arrested -- and convicted -- for being nude in his own home while making coffee at 7 in the morning. Some woman walking past his house -- almost 50 feet away from the street -- saw him through a window and found it lewd.)
Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

That poor man! Perhaps a certain woman shouldn't have been looking in. It's disgraceful.

Thanks for your response, Kalnel

I think it safe to assume that this is the sort of gift only someone who knows you better than anyone else, would give. What better person than the love of your life.

And it's true that Europeans', particularly those in Scandinavia, are known to be more comfortable with sexuality, which imo, is a great thing. It's not something to shy away from. It is what it is and if displayed in a tasteful and natural manner, is perfectly acceptable.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Not to derail the topic, but I find it most interesting that in the States this sculpture should be thought of as scandalous. It just strikes me as somewhat odd when the United Sates is the premier producer and consumer of sexually explicit material throughout the world. Conservative you say? When it suits...
I completely agree with you. And what to say about our dear Prince Henrik but he is a real Frenchman, isn't he? The sculpture is not my cup of tea at all, but given Queen Margrethe and her husband's ages I can't help smiling and thinking how cute it is.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Gosh, I when I opened up the photo of the sculpture I wasn't expecting that! Two people kissing indeed - and the rest! It's very beautiful and like all good art (and Marmite) you will either love it or hate it (or more like somewhere in between!).

Clearly Prince Henrik is as much in love with his wife now as he was when they met and it shows a very string comfortable marriage.

The Vigeland Sculpture Park in Oslo is home to many amazing and beautifully crafted sculptures some of which make Prince Henrik's gift quite tame!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Courtier

After I read Frederik's speech to his mother I was surprised when watching the video that there were no tears from him, his mother or Mary because it was a very moving speech straight from the heart. Knowing that he is not an eloquent speaker Mary must have been very proud of him so I can understand that she went to him after
and planted that smacker on him. Well done Frederik!....( and you too Mary, good smacker it was.)
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
It's an interesting and beautiful sculpture, although I must admit that I was shocked at the overt eroticism of it for a publicly displayed gift for a head of state, even if it was from husband to wife.

How do Danes react to seeing this piece? I have a feeling that it would be considered pretty scandalous here in the United States, but I know Americans generally tend to be more conservative than Scandinavians about things like this.
I don't believe anyone, or at least only a very few, would find it in any way scandalous here in DK and certainly not because it depicts nudity. It takes a decomposing pig in a glass cage or goldfish in a kitchen blender - and the fish actually being chopped up, for an outcry to be heard, or feces in tincans. Which were leaking so that the museum in question had to pay 200.000 DKK in compensation to the artist, because his..., well, yes his sh*t was wasted. Sometimes....!
Incidentally the rotting pigs carcass became a target for visiting school children and kindergardens so they could learn about and see how carcasses decompose.
If there is any critisism of this sculpture it'll more likely come from the cultural elite, who will wrinkle their noses at this "simple" and dare I say it "folksy" piece of art. Surely art shouldn't be readily understood by the cultural ignorants, the common riff-raff, you know. Perish the thought!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Courtier

That sculpture is interesting, and it tells me something about the giver, and the recipient. The giver (Henrik,) still sees his wife The Queen as a woman in whole, with a girlish figure and face, and a robust taste for joy. And the recipient (Her Majesty The Queen,) displays this openly as her acceptance of their shared vision, as the two of them as young lovers co-existing within the Queen and her consort as they grow older together.

It ties with Frederik's speech as still seeing his mother as a joyful girl. It seems that her spell of happiness encompasses her whole family!

I am, however, glad to not be able to make out the expression on the uniformed guard's face. I don't want to know if he's laughing or crying, or trying to stick a fork in his eye to remove the vision of his dignified Queen potentially ever being in that position!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Aristocracy

Not Danish, but I agree with Muhler, I don’t see how this sculpture will cause any problems or criticism. I don’t see it as scandalous at all, not even remotely, and don’t believe it will be viewed as such in Scandinavia. I find it very sweet and beautiful, and don’t agree that it’s portraits something that is very erotic, or as something not acceptable to be seen by the overall public.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
That poor man! Perhaps a certain woman shouldn't have been looking in. It's disgraceful.

Thanks for your response, Kalnel

I think it safe to assume that this is the sort of gift only someone who knows you better than anyone else, would give. What better person than the love of your life.

And it's true that Europeans', particularly those in Scandinavia, are known to be more comfortable with sexuality, which imo, is a great thing. It's not something to shy away from. It is what it is and if displayed in a tasteful and natural manner, is perfectly acceptable.
Yes, indeed. Personally, I thought he should have sued her for invasion of privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I don't believe anyone, or at least only a very few, would find it in any way scandalous here in DK and certainly not because it depicts nudity. It takes a decomposing pig in a glass cage or goldfish in a kitchen blender - and the fish actually being chopped up, for an outcry to be heard, or feces in tincans. Which were leaking so that the museum in question had to pay 200.000 DKK in compensation to the artist, because his..., well, yes his sh*t was wasted. Sometimes....!
Incidentally the rotting pigs carcass became a target for visiting school children and kindergardens so they could learn about and see how carcasses decompose.
If there is any critisism of this sculpture it'll more likely come from the cultural elite, who will wrinkle their noses at this "simple" and dare I say it "folksy" piece of art. Surely art shouldn't be readily understood by the cultural ignorants, the common riff-raff, you know. Perish the thought!
LOL -- Danish and American "cultural elite" must be on the same page, because they share the same attitude!

I'm sure you're right. I have no doubt that the Queen knows very well what is acceptable to Danes -- as a leader and as an artist -- so it would not be on display otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestfoldlilja View Post
Not Danish, but I agree with Muhler, I don’t see how this sculpture will cause any problems or criticism. I don’t see it as scandalous at all, not even remotely, and don’t believe it will be viewed as such in Scandinavia. I find it very sweet and beautiful, and don’t agree that it’s portraits something that is very erotic, or as something not acceptable to be seen by the overall public.
It's interesting to hear the different cultural perspectives on this. I agree that it's a beautiful symbol of their love, and the fact that Henrik gave it to her tells volumes about their romantic relationship. (By comparison, when my mother turned 70 recently, my father gave her a new laser printer. If romance has a polar opposite, that's it!)

Tags
birthday, celebration, margrethes birthday, qm birthday, queen margrethe, queens birthday