The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Today, November 14, Queen Margrethe held a press conference at the Tivoli in Copenhagen in connection with the publication of a new ballet project for 2019:

** ppe gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** kongehuset: Offentliggørelse af nyt balletprojekt **

** BB: Dronning Margrethe afslører: Her er min nye ballet ** translation **

Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

And one gallery with more pictures from today

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6361782

Old 11-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte attended the premiere of the Nutcracker this evening, November 23:

** BB: Dronning Margrethe til sin egen premiere ** translation **

** kongehuset gallery: Repremiere på eventyrballetten "Nøddeknækkeren" **
Old 11-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

A video from tonight posted by the Palace

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskeko...70781012/?t=22

Gallery

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/ur...alproducts=all
Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

And here is a BB video of QMII on stage after the premiere: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ejede-publikum
Old 12-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

A compilation video of the international coverage of QMII as scenographer:
https://vimeo.com/vnrtv/review/305029129/7151a4c926
Old 12-22-2018, 05:29 AM
Royal Highness

Queen Margrethe is just a marvelous lady, in fact not one royal out there can out do her in her accomplishments for her interests in life are so wide and varied and challenging. This is a brilliant lady who is also a queen in her own right...now I love the video and watched it twice and could not understand a darn word....yet I got the message of the video by looking at all there was.

I wonder is she having a hard time walking for that curtsy was not what she has done in the past?
Old 12-22-2018, 06:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, she's pretty remarkable.

At 79, and even if she didn't have problems with her back, I'll readily forgive her for not doing a steady curtsy.

- In fact I'd forgive myself! That's because the gravity for whatever reason increase when I bend my knees. It's most peculiar!
I wrote to Aarhus University and explained the phenomenon, but they haven't replied yet.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2019.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

A new book about QMII has been published. The book is focusing on QMII's creative side, her work as scenographer and not least how making costumes and dressing up was an integral part of her upbringing.
The book, The Fairy Tale Queen, includes many private photographs as well an interview with QMII.

As you all know she has not put aside her fondness for being creative. In fact it has been known for many years that QMII "is not at home" on Thursdays. Because Thursday is the day she locks herself up - more or less - and work on whatever creative projects she has on the table.
(Beforehand Thursday was also the day she danced ballet.)

In fact it was Queen Ingrid who introduced QMII in particular, but also her sisters to making their own costumes, dressing up and perform in small theatricals for the family. Queen Ingrid had been brought up with that and when she married Frederik IX the family happily embraced that, also Frederik IX himself, even though his parents could hardly be described as being into theater and dressing up!
"Dad was just as silly with that sort of things like the rest of us, no, dad wasn't shy about that.
I don't think however that my Danish grandparents dressed up. Not willingly that is."

Queen Ingrid's approach has been adopted by QMII. And that was to use what was at hand - old dresses, pieces of cloth and veils, old hats and add something or simply modify it. It was not about buying something to work with. And that was something Queen Ingrid was very good at!
On the other hand her oldest daughter, Margrethe, took it upon herself to instruct, direct and ordering her younger sisters around, when they were to perform for the family...

Using the material at hand, the result was of course often amateurish. It may be that the dress had stains or was wrinkled or that the hair wasn't perfect but QMII loved it.
And while she was occasionally shy later on, when on the job, she wasn't shy at all when performing on stage.

To this day the family still improvise a theater performance, involving PH (when he was around of course) Joachim and Frederik and now the grandchildren.

But let's us look at some of the photos in the article.
https://app.box.com/s/rxeri6jdlo3qzt1yr6bvq0lyotzj74tf
Here princess Margrethe, with her sisters and their mother, has dressed up as an Italian lady.
QMII Think it's a lot more fun to dress up hideously than being pretty and delicate.

https://app.box.com/s/i9is11fb8cnh41gw9mrmpljsiu1jcexr
Here OMII and PH attended a costume ball in Paris in 1969.
"Damn, it looked good!" Is QMII's comment.

https://app.box.com/s/m3d2e72zxw5puoms2ppo01zf32cnb3qu
Here princess Margrethe took part in a crime-show on stage in 1954. She wore earrings she had been presented by her mother and she still has them:
"The stupid thing about them is that they don't stay on the ears, because they have screws and my ears, they shrink and shrink!"

https://app.box.com/s/rwbxaoe4p165b83gs3z58b5w9uy3osfc
See the photo in the blue box.
Here princess Margrethe is performing at the Juliane Marie (*) theater at Fredensborg in 1954. Dressed as Queen Juliane Marie, with typical 1700s wig and heavy make up.
"I'm dressed and made out like Queen Juliane Marie with artificial nose and wig and around the neck I have my mother's precious brilliant-chain, which I today use for gala-parties.
Benedikte was dressed up as the Swedish, later Queen Desiree with Anne-Marie as her little son Oskar.
Benedikte wore Desiree's original train for the coronation, which is now at a museum and my mother's ruby parure, which today belongs to the CP-couple."

(*) Queen Juliane Marie very much put her mark on the DRF back in the 1700s. Including the, now turned depot, theater named after her at Fredensborg.
It is also some of her more magnificent pieces of jewellery that today constitute the Danish crown jewels.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Queen Margrethe is just a marvelous lady, in fact not one royal out there can out do her in her accomplishments for her interests in life are so wide and varied and challenging. This is a brilliant lady who is also a queen in her own right...now I love the video and watched it twice and could not understand a darn word....yet I got the message of the video by looking at all there was.

I wonder is she having a hard time walking for that curtsy was not what she has done in the past?
I agree with you. It is great to see her having so much fun with her interests.

Thanks Muhler for the information. I wonder if the book will be published in English?
Actually I have learnt a lot about Queen Margrethe's interests as she has been very happy to share her life story with us.
She is a very interesting Lady. I have saved photo's of her on her knees drawing designs for the ballet on top of tables and on the floor. Not many Monarchs would do that.
Her passion always shines through.
The Danes must be very proud to have her. Long may she reign.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2019.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

A new book about QMII has been published. The book is focusing on QMII's creative side, her work as scenographer and not least how making costumes and dressing up was an integral part of her upbringing.
The book, The Fairy Tale Queen, includes many private photographs as well an interview with QMII.

As you all know she has not put aside her fondness for being creative. In fact it has been known for many years that QMII "is not at home" on Thursdays. Because Thursday is the day she locks herself up - more or less - and work on whatever creative projects she has on the table.
(Beforehand Thursday was also the day she danced ballet.)

In fact it was Queen Ingrid who introduced QMII in particular, but also her sisters to making their own costumes, dressing up and perform in small theatricals for the family. Queen Ingrid had been brought up with that and when she married Frederik IX the family happily embraced that, also Frederik IX himself, even though his parents could hardly be described as being into theater and dressing up!
"Dad was just as silly with that sort of things like the rest of us, no, dad wasn't shy about that.
I don't think however that my Danish grandparents dressed up. Not willingly that is."

Queen Ingrid's approach has been adopted by QMII. And that was to use what was at hand - old dresses, pieces of cloth and veils, old hats and add something or simply modify it. It was not about buying something to work with. And that was something Queen Ingrid was very good at!
On the other hand her oldest daughter, Margrethe, took it upon herself to instruct, direct and ordering her younger sisters around, when they were to perform for the family...

Using the material at hand, the result was of course often amateurish. It may be that the dress had stains or was wrinkled or that the hair wasn't perfect but QMII loved it.
And while she was occasionally shy later on, when on the job, she wasn't shy at all when performing on stage.

To this day the family still improvise a theater performance, involving PH (when he was around of course) Joachim and Frederik and now the grandchildren.

But let's us look at some of the photos in the article.
https://app.box.com/s/rxeri6jdlo3qzt1yr6bvq0lyotzj74tf
Here princess Margrethe, with her sisters and their mother, has dressed up as an Italian lady.
QMII Think it's a lot more fun to dress up hideously than being pretty and delicate.

https://app.box.com/s/i9is11fb8cnh41gw9mrmpljsiu1jcexr
Here OMII and PH attended a costume ball in Paris in 1969.
"Damn, it looked good!" Is QMII's comment.

https://app.box.com/s/m3d2e72zxw5puoms2ppo01zf32cnb3qu
Here princess Margrethe took part in a crime-show on stage in 1954. She wore earrings she had been presented by her mother and she still has them:
"The stupid thing about them is that they don't stay on the ears, because they have screws and my ears, they shrink and shrink!"

https://app.box.com/s/rwbxaoe4p165b83gs3z58b5w9uy3osfc
See the photo in the blue box.
Here princess Margrethe is performing at the Juliane Marie (*) theater at Fredensborg in 1954. Dressed as Queen Juliane Marie, with typical 1700s wig and heavy make up.
"I'm dressed and made out like Queen Juliane Marie with artificial nose and wig and around the neck I have my mother's precious brilliant-chain, which I today use for gala-parties.
Benedikte was dressed up as the Swedish, later Queen Desiree with Anne-Marie as her little son Oskar.
Benedikte wore Desiree's original train for the coronation, which is now at a museum and my mother's ruby parure, which today belongs to the CP-couple."

(*) Queen Juliane Marie very much put her mark on the DRF back in the 1700s. Including the, now turned depot, theater named after her at Fredensborg.
It is also some of her more magnificent pieces of jewellery that today constitute the Danish crown jewels.
Wonderful stuff, Muhler! Mange tak for sharing; I look forward to the book
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

You are welcome, both of you.

Alas, I doubt very much such a specialized book will be translated into English. But it might still be worth purchasing if you are a hardcore follower of QMII, since there are bound to be many illustrations, private photos and captions worth a Google translate.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
You are welcome, both of you.

Alas, I doubt very much such a specialized book will be translated into English. But it might still be worth purchasing if you are a hardcore follower of QMII, since there are bound to be many illustrations, private photos and captions worth a Google translate.
I am trying to order this book Muhler but need the danish title and publisher. Would you be able to share this information? Mange tak
Old 01-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I am trying to order this book Muhler but need the danish title and publisher. Would you be able to share this information? Mange tak
With pleasure.

The book is called: Eventyrdronningen.
Written by: Elisabeth von Buchwald - and Kamilla Bryndum.
It appears it's published under the DRF. And not available in commercial bookstores.
I had a look at the books, the prices are very affordable and presumably only to cover the expenses.

You can purchase it here, but only in Danish, so you may have to e-mail and ask for guidance, because the English page does only contain books in English. Or you can simply just put it in your basket and take it from there, it's pretty basic.
English: https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/en/...ategory/books/
Danish: https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/pro...ori/boeger-da/
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
With pleasure.

The book is called: Eventyrdronningen.
Written by: Elisabeth von Buchwald - and Kamilla Bryndum.
It appears it's published under the DRF. And not available in commercial bookstores.
I had a look at the books, the prices are very affordable and presumably only to cover the expenses.

You can purchase it here, but only in Danish, so you may have to e-mail and ask for guidance, because the English page does only contain books in English. Or you can simply just put it in your basket and take it from there, it's pretty basic.
English: https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/en/...ategory/books/
Danish: https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/pro...ori/boeger-da/
Mange tak! I have sent an email to these people as they do not seem to allow registration from outside Denmark. I shall let you know the results.

Tags
art works, artist, margrethe, margrethe ii, queen margrethe