The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness

HM does a very good job with the costume designs. I can't see the set yet.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Summary of artice in Billed Bladet #47, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

As you know QMII has been the scenographer of the latest premiere of the ballet The Nutcracker, to be shown at the Tivoli Concert Hall. This is the second time, she is scenographer to that particular ballet.

And she has been interviewed about it: "I believe that if you say yes to making costumes and scenogrphy for a show, you should without resevertions dispense with/look away from what people imagine you to be and what you might be capable of.
You should first and foremost do your utmost at what you have commited yourself to. In such a situation I certainly don't think of myself as queen. I only think about that what I contribute with must delight the audience, but also very much those artists who put an effort into getting such a show up and running. Then it's not relevant at all what I otherwise do".

Q: Has it become a better performance/show?
QMII: "I certainly count on it having become, if possible, even better. I thought there were some of the costumes I could do a little better, there have also been included slightly different costumes in among other things the Flower Waltz, and other features have been added to the ballet in regards to how it was two years ago. But the main line remains unaltered".

Q: Have you been sleepless prior to the premiere?
QMII: "Not quite as sleepless as the last time. But I can't help thinking: Is that detail working alright? So I have been thinking a lot about it. But I'm confident".

Q: Some of the scenes takes place during a snowfall and you have at least drawn some of the constumes and the scenography during the summer. Has that been difficult?
QMII: "No, that's not so hard. When you enter the universe you can think about snow, even though it's summer outside".

Q: A part of the ballet is about the little girl Clara's memories about Tivoli. What are your own childhood memories of Tivoli?
QMII: "I guess I was eight-nine years old or something like that, when I was in here for the first time. (*) I remember we tried both the rollercoaster and the ballon-swing and I thought the ballon-swing was so groovy. To let go and scream all you could - that's lovely"!

(*) Parts of Tivoli was destroyed in the last part of the Occupation during WWII. A Schallburgtage. I.e. a bombing done by pro-Nazi Danes. In contrast to a sabotage, done by resistance fighters.
The story about the Schalburg Corps and the DRF is intersting in itself: https://app.box.com/s/8g31xvhl48vk16uez6xv

Including Princess Helena: https://app.box.com/s/gfg13l8adm2j747su8zs
https://app.box.com/s/t3mpis346dia4bz3abf3

Within the past fifteen years or so we have had a sometimes painful and certainly uncomfortable review of how the Occupation really was during WWII here in DK. It was much more complicated than the collective memory of the Danes after WWII prefers to believe it was. I.e. that all who were not hardcore Nazis were against the occupation.
Some did fight back, but most adapted more or less willingly in most occupied countries, certainly in western Europe. A kind of live and let live attitude. While others again joined "the winners", the Nazis. In some countries that led to what was de facto an underground civil war, between what can most easily be labelled Communists on one side and Fascists on the other, especially in southern Europe.
That is still to this day an open wound in most countries and in some countries a topic best avoided entirely.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Absolutely correct Muhler; I am thinking of the Netherlands where there are still many stories similar to the Danish experience that need to be told but I fear they may never see the light of day
Old 06-14-2015, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja attended the opening of their exhibition 'Fra fjell til kyst' (From mountains to the coast) at Baroniet in Rosendal, Norway on June 12. It's a joint exhibition of their artworks that runs from June 12 to September 6, 2015.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** kongehuset.no ** translation **
Old 09-14-2015, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Margrethe is the artist behind this year's Christmas seal.

The Christmas seals support the Danish Christmas Seal Homes for overweight Danish children.

A home Mary is patron of.

As you may know it's always Mary who reveals the Christmas stamps together with the artist - therefore we can expect a nice common event for Margrethe and Mary

On Wednesday the 28th October Margrethe as an artist and Mary as patron of the Christmas Seal Foundation together will reveals this year's Christmas seals:

https://www.ritzauinfo.dk/release?releaseId=4435183
Old 09-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Margrethe is the artist behind this year's Christmas seal.

The Christmas seals support the Danish Christmas Seal Homes for overweight Danish children.

A home Mary is patron of.

As you may know it's always Mary who reveals the Christmas stamps together with the artist - therefore we can expect a nice common event for Margrethe and Mary

On Wednesday the 28th October Margrethe as an artist and Mary as patron of the Christmas Seal Foundation together will reveals this year's Christmas seals:

https://www.ritzauinfo.dk/release?releaseId=4435183

This is really something special i think.
the note from the DRF website. it is the third time the Queen designs it.
Årets julemærkekunstner 2015 - Kongehuset
"The Queen has twice previously drawn Christmas label motif: In 1970, as successor to the throne and in 2003 Christmas Seal number 100th"

from 2003
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/...03-2.jpg-2.img

Looking forward to the event together
Old 09-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Courtier

Very clever design as it shows children looking like they are being active and it is visually very appealing. Until recently I did not know how talented this lady is.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is the one she designed in 1970
http://ekstrabladet.dk/incoming/arti...A6rke%2070.png
Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Margrethe II will collaborate with the Danish artist Oh Land on a new ballet adaption of Cinderella which will premiere on the Pantomime Theatre in Tivoli in July 2016. QMII will create the scenography and Oh Land will make the accompanying music.

Dronning Margrethe og Oh Land går sammen om ny ballet | Kultur | DR (article in Danish)

Old 12-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2015.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know by now QMII will again be a scenographer. This time for the fairy tale Cinderella to be performed as a ballet. The production will have premiere next autumn.
While QMII will handle sets and costumes, the singer and composer Oh Land, whose real name is Nanna Øland, (She got her breakthrough in USA BTW) will handle the music.

In fact QMII and Oh Land had only met for the first time a couple of hours before th press conference, so they are going to learn to work together, let alone to get to know each other.

The 30 year old Oh Land does have considerable experience in ballet. She was a ballet-child at the Royal Theatre but had to quit due to a back injury.
In fact she was one of the children dancing when QMII was a scenographer to A Folks Tale some twenty years ago.

Oh Land says she's looking forward to returning to DK and make music for a ballet, for the first time. So it's an advantage to work with QMII who is now pretty experienced in the work of setting up a ballet. She also said that she and QMII had exchanged ideas prior to the press conference when they met for the first time.
First and foremost she looks forward to the co-operation that is part of setting up a performance: "I'm of course wildly excited but to me the co-operation is always the most fun at part at all. That's where you develop the most, and where you ultimately create the best result. Rather than sitting alone in your own cocoon".
QMII: "I agree wholeheartedly. You get so much more when you work with someone, rather than sitting with your own more or less gifted genius".

Will the show be colorful or more subdued?
QMII: "I'm not particular good at keeping in line in regards to colors, so I don't think it will be specially subdued. But I shall try and keep my fondness for colors in check".

QMII gets her energy and enthusiasm simply from the fun of being involved in the creative process.

As to the music. Even though QMII had heard about Oh Land, she admits willingly that she hasn't heard a sound of her music. Pop-music is not something she listen a lot to: "No, I must admit that I'm not familiar with Oh Land's music, but I have on many good words that it's very much worth listening to".

Oh Land is expecting her first child next February. She lives on a daily basis in New York with her husband.

- It was a very enthusiastic QMII at the press conference who clearly looked very much forward to begin working.
At some of the previous performances QMII has been involved in, she has readily admitted that it was pretty stressful as she still had to look after her day job as monarch. Now M&F have taken over so much that she will be much better able to involve herself in having fun being a scenographer.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

What was the very first painting that Queen Margrethe II had in an exhibition?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Dronningen nægter at lave nuttet ballet

QMII is to be the scenographer for a ballet, Cinderella. And it is not going to be a cute version!
"We've tried to knit the story about Cinderella together a bit differently. I've allowed myself freedom in regards to time, place and fashion and I will not make a cute ballet. It is going to have a little bite".

How about the mouse?
"I've only seen the Disney-movie once when I was 10-12 years old. I don't know where you find those mice in the ballet. But the stepsisters are still there and they are fun, I think".
Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

pictures from the DRFwebsite
Pressemøde i forbindelse med balletten "Askepot" | Kongehuset
Old 05-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Majesty

This is a very merry interview with QMII who has discovered Skype.

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #21, 2016.
Written by Trine Larsen.

QMII's job as scenographer for the ballet Cinderella is almost complete now and as such the sketches were presented to the press. And it was indeed a very glad QMII who answered questions.

This time the production team is spread all over the world. QMII and the head of the ballet in Copenhagen, the choreographer, Yuri Possokhov, in San Francisco. The composer, Oh Land, in New York.
So meetings were via Skype.

Q: Skype-meetings... Your Majesty... that sure is something new!
QMII: "You bet it is. (Laughing). But as long as someone else push the buttons it's perfectly alright with me".

Q: What does Your Majesty think about such a way to hold meetings?
QMII: "Why, it's totally fantastic. Really. That it's possible to work that way. We'd simply never had the opportunity to meet, if it wasn't in that fashion. It's fantastic that you can do things like that nowadays and I actually think we benefitted very much from it".

Q: Did it provide You of the opportunity to hear some of the music and that You (formal You naturally) could show your sketches with what You had in mind?
QMII: "Yes, but it's just as much the fact that you can meet and see each others faces, while talking about the work. In such a process here it means everything/a lot (as in crucial), rather than just sitting like this... (holding her hand to her ear as if using an analog telephone. then she laughs and holds her hand like holding a mobile)... Oh, no, like such a thing".

This is not going to be a cute performance! No Disney Show here, which QMII has seen only once when she was a young teen. And the step-sisters will also be different: "... Well, of course the two stepsisters and the stepmother are dreadful types, but they are not fat (*) and grotesque. They are some long and slim girls as you can tell from the sketches. Also because they must be able to dance. They are not just meant to sit on their bottom".

This is not the classical H.C. Andersen fairy tale, but rather a mix of several Cinderella stories going back some 1.000 years.

Q: What costumes have been the most fun to create?
QMII: "Perhaps the bad stepsisters. It's always funnier to create the bad ones"!

A few weeks ago QMII went to London to pick fabrics for the costumes and she also went to Royal Opera House Convent Garden, which has a brilliant costume department and they are sewing the costumes.
So now QMII's job is almost done. There are a few details here and there and fittings but now it's more up to the dancers and choreographer.

(*) Actually QMII use a less offensive word than fat, which in Danish context means very obese and floppy. She use a word that is more akin to portly, but a more fat than that.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

its so lovely to read this aspect of her. and that she has discovered Skype
Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Its an amazing side of the queen to see It is one thing to be a fan of the ballet, many royals seem to be, but she is truly passionate. And has real skill behind it as well. I am glad she has not allowed being queen to stop her from being able to explore that side.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 AM
Majesty

Rystende knæ og kolde fingerspidser: Dronningen har nerver på

I a few days the premiere of the ballet, Cinderella, QMII has been working on takes place and on that occasion there was a press conference, where QMII among other things spoke about having premiere-jitters.
"That (nerves) is something all of the involved have, I think, otherwise you wouldn't be right in your mind.
It's after all always with butterflies in the stomach, a bit shaky knees and cold fingertips. It's very thrilling but it'll be alright".

It will not be a cute story a la Disney's.
"That's not the one we are flirting with. It's important for us that it won't be bloody or cute, but we have included both fairly tale and the grotesque".

QMII's Cinderella will full of humor and emotions and while there are lots of colors on the set, pink is not dominant!
"As a child I was absolutely allergic to the notion of pink princesses".

QMII hopes for the best even though she started working on the scenography before the steps and music was in place.
"One can never get away with doing less than your best and I just hope that's sufficient".

ADDED: Here is a BB clip: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige...-foer-premiere
With samples from the ballet.
QMII pretty much says what has been written above - except for the part in English.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 AM
Majesty

Saturday evening QMII went to see the premiere of Cinderella and also went on stage together with the others who had worked behind the scenes.
Dronning Margrethe til premiere på Askepot | BILLED-BLADET

Lasting some 30 minutes it appears to be a child-friendly show - and it's free.
I think it's pretty safe to say that we will see some of QMII's grandchildren watching this within the next couple of weeks. - Perhaps especially Bella, who is fond of dancing.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Margrethe attends first rehearsal on new Nutcracker ballet in Copenhagen

https://www.google.gr/url?sa=t&rct=j...jO9wexJ1wevQ2g
Old 11-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Queen Margrethe held a press conference on the upcoming Nutcracker ballet today, November 24:

** kongehuset.dk: Pressemøde i Tivoli ** ppe gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Tags
art works, artist, margrethe, margrethe ii, queen margrethe