Queen Margrethe II's Enthronement: January 15, 1972

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
I have been searching unsuccessfully for pictures of Queen Margrethe's entrhonement ceremony. Can anyone help? Thank you

I don't believe that there is an enthronement ceremony per se in Denmark. Queen Margrethe was proclaimed Queen from the Palace balcony on January 15, 1972 by the Prime Minister following the death of her father King Frederik IX. There are pictures of Queen Margrethe and the Prime Minister on the Palace balcony.

I have edited my post to add photo links of Queen Margrethe on January 15, 1972.

Picture1
Picture2
Picture3

Last edited:
Thank you for that Mandy, they are great pics :)

Thanks you for the pics!

I watched last year a documentary about Consort Princes : there were some images showing QM on the balcony, on the verge of tears, because of her father's loss :( when she was proclamed Queen. Very emotional image...

And in the pics with the red dress, I remember her daughter-in-law Mary in a similar dress...

great pictures! margrethe was a really beautiful lady.

was she wearing black because of his father's death? or is that the protocol in enthronements? what about the photo with the red dress? was it taken after she being proclaimed queen because of the death of the former king or some months later as the official photo of the new queen? she looks a little bit happier in those...

carlota said:
great pictures! margrethe was a really beautiful lady.

was she wearing black because of his father's death? or is that the protocol in enthronements? what about the photo with the red dress? was it taken after she being proclaimed queen because of the death of the former king or some months later as the official photo of the new queen? she looks a little bit happier in those...

Carlota,

I am pretty sure that as her father had died the day before that this explains the reason why the Queen was in black attire. I am almost certain that all provided pictures of the Queen in black are either from the very same day as the Kings death or the balcony presentation the following day.

"MII"

the red dress

I believe the pictures of Margrethe in the red dress were taken right before her wedding. As far as I remember she wore it to a galla-performance at the royal theatre.

On the Danish website of the Danish Monarchy, there is a clip in which The Queen talks about her proclamation in Danish. But it also shows footage from Her Majesty’s proclamation. First, after about 20 seconds, the prime minister thrice proclaims that “King Frederik IX is dead. Long live Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II”. The reason for him proclaiming the same message thrice is that he must proclaim it to all corners of the kingdom… except south because he would have to yell down the hallway behind him in order to do so.

The video can be found here: http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_dk_familien_dronningen
(go to the paragraph “Tronfølgeloven” and click “filmklip”.

/Lasse Pedersen

I wish that the European royal families still had coronations, as it makes for a good spectacle. I would like to see them wearing their full regalia and the state imperial crowns etc. Maybe they got rid of coronations because it might seem a bit old-fashioned? Does anyone know why they got rid of coronations, opting for enthronements/ proclamations?

Australian said:
I wish that the European royal families still had coronations, as it makes for a good spectacle. I would like to see them wearing their full regalia and the state imperial crowns etc. Maybe they got rid of coronations because it might seem a bit old-fashioned? Does anyone know why they got rid of coronations, opting for enthronements/ proclamations?
In Denmark, we stopped anointing our kings at lavish ceremonies after the introduction of democracy as part of the limited monarchical constitution of 1848 rather than absolute monarchy (1660-1848). The anointing of kings was seen as being part of an absolute monarchy and was thus abolished.

/Lasse Pedersen

Thank you for compiling the pictures. Margarethe was such a beautiful young woman, and she is still amazing. Among all the European queens, she was probably the prettiest at that time.

The same as QM II´s.

King Frederik IX was also proclaimed King on the balcony of Amalienborg by the Prime Minister. But this time it was his father King Christian X who had died and King Frederik IX who wore black. The Prime Minister at the time was Knud Kristensen.

I tried to finde a picture somewhere on the net - but without succes. Instead I found this radiobroadcast from the event:

Kong_Frederik_IX_udraabes_til_konge - dr.dk/bonanza

About 4.54 minutes into the broadcast you will hear the proclaimnation of Frederik as King - made by the Prime Minister Knud Kristensen. About 6.30 minutes into the broadcast you will hear a speech by King Frederik IX. At about 10.30 the crowd is singing the national hymn. After that they sing "Kongesangen" (The Kings song) and these songs are followed by - as far as I can hear - three other danish hymns. Now and then the crow are cheering King Fredrik.

I can recomend - even to non Danish speakers - to listen to the entire broadcast. It gives a very realistic impression of the atmosphere.

There must have been a huge amount of people present. It is said in the broadcast that not only was the square infront of Amalienborg filled with people. So many people had gathered that they were standing on as remote places as Højbro Torv, Amager Plads and Holmens Kanal.........Oops that is a lot of people.

On the same homepage the proclaimnation of Queen Margrethe II can be found as a video, but unforturnatly it is a very short version only 1.50 minutes long and the sound is missing:

http://www.dr.dk/bonanza20_assets/E..._ast/asc/2/Proklamation_af_Dronning_Margrethe

And yes, Margrethe was such a beautiful young woman.

The same as QM II´s.

King Frederik IX was also proclaimed King on the balcony of Amalienborg by the Prime Minister. But this time it was his father King Christian X who had died and King Frederik IX who wore black. The Prime Minister at the time was Knud Kristensen.

It was the balcony of Christiansborg not Amalienborg. I have also seen pictures of the new King Frederik IX. and queen Ingrid in an open carriage either on the way to Christiansborg or after the proclamation back to Amalienborg.

It was the balcony of Christiansborg not Amalienborg. I have also seen pictures of the new King Frederik IX. and queen Ingrid in an open carriage either on the way to Christiansborg or after the proclamation back to Amalienborg.

I really do doubt that it was on the balcony of Christiansborg Frederik was proclaimed King. It simply does not make sense. I will returne when I have found out which balcony it was. I am quit sure though it was the balcony of Amalienborg elsehow people gathering om Amager Torv wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, you might be right so I will have to check :flowers:

You are right, it was at Christiansborg.................

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do doubt that it was on the balcony of Christiansborg Frederik was proclaimed King. It simply does not make sense. I will returne when I have found out which balcony it was. I am quit sure though it was the balcony of Amalienborg elsehow people gathering om Amager Torv wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, you might be right so I will have to check :flowers:

Why not? margrethe was also proclaimed from Christiansborg not Amalienborg. have found 2 photos where you cann see that it is Christiansborg.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/Denmark/ProklamationvonFrederikIX194702.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/Denmark/ProklamationvonFrederikIX194701.jpg

Why not? margrethe was also proclaimed from Christiansborg not Amalienborg. have found 2 photos where you cann see that it is Christiansborg.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/Denmark/ProklamationvonFrederikIX194702.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/Denmark/ProklamationvonFrederikIX194701.jpg

I whish I had found the two photoes from Christiansborg.

Anyway..... Amalienborg or Christiansborg the ceremoni still is the same. It is a ceremony one only experience onze in a lifetime - perhaps twize. IMO the balcony of Amalienborg or Christiansborg is a detail compared to the sentiment of the Danish people when saying goodbye to the old King and welcomming the new King/Queen.

I think an enthronement would be a lot easier than standing on a balcony either the same day or the day after a beloved father has just died and having to smile and wave to her subjects.

Most people need more than a few hours to "get it together" so to speak, and yet there she stood, a grieving daughter and a brand new Queen, sharing her grief with her country in what must surely be the most bitter-sweet moment in her life.

I agree Marg. It does seem to be an almost inhumane ceremony.

Besides the pomp and circumstance of a coronation would be wonderfull to observe.

:previous: And would allow the Queen and her county time to grieve and then to celebrate. :flowers:

So when Frederik Becomes King will it be a pretty big event I Mean I Know the UK is better at that but his will be prety impressive?

:previous:
Frederik's enthronement will be just the same as his mothers. Depending on the circumstances around him becoming King depend on how lavish the events surrounding the enthronement will be. :flowers:

Frederik's enthronement will be just the same as his mothers. Depending on the circumstances around him becoming King depend on how lavish the events surrounding the enthronement will be. :flowers:

After the appropriate mourning period, I should think (hope) the events surrounding Frederik's enthronement shall be full of pomp and ceremony. Though I hope Margrethe reigns for many years to come.

After the appropriate mourning period, I should think (hope) the events surrounding Frederik's enthronement shall be full of pomp and ceremony. Though I hope Margrethe reigns for many years to come.

But if Frederik becomes King because of abdication, there would be no mourning period. I agree that the events will be lavish hopefully, but the enthronement or proclamation will be the same as Margrethe's? :flowers:

As with Elizabeth II, Margrethe II has stated that abdication is not an option. The only way Frederik will become King, is when his beloved mother passes from this life to the next. So a period of mourning will of course be observed.

It's forseeable that the proclamation will be much the same as Margrethe's was. A public announcement shall be made from the balcony of Christiansborg Palace by the Prime Minister of the day. Those in attendance (the crowds etc) will more than likely then cheer with a ninefold 'Hurrah'.

I'm certan, however, that various celebratory events (both on a national and select scale) shall take place and I expect many royal and princely families to partake on one or two occasions.

It's forseeable that the proclamation will be much the same as Margrethe's was. A public announcement shall be made from the balcony of Christiansborg Palace by the Prime Minister of the day. Those in attendance (the crowds etc) will more than likely then cheer with a ninefold 'Hurrah'.
I'm certan, however, that various celebratory events (both on a national and select scale) shall take place and I expect many royal and princely families to partake on one or two occasions.

The procedure:
The new monarch is proclaimed from the balcony of the parliament building (Christiansborg). It happens on the morning after the death of the old monarch! The PM says three times, symbolically facing three compas directions*: "King (or Queen NN) is dead. Long live King NN (or Queen NN)".

Then the new monarch makes a short address and reveals his/hers motto!
The comes the ninefold hurrah!
There is also a state council meeting in connection with the proclamation.
It is very matter of fact !!

* Three directions, not four, or the PM would be facing the wall! :flowers:

Viv

Last edited:
Thanks Viv for filling in the details...:)

It is very matter of fact isn't it. Nothing lavish about it's undertaking at all (given the circumstances for which one must inherit are anything but joyous, one can understand that the mood would be incredibly sombre).

I do confess though, that I would have LOVED it if Denmark still observed a coronation...;)

Thanks Viv for filling in the details...:)

It is very matter of fact isn't it. Nothing lavish about it's undertaking at all (given the circumstances for which one must inherit are anything but joyous, one can understand that the mood would be incredibly sombre).
I do confess though, that I would have LOVED it if Denmark still observed a coronation...;)

Madame Royale, I vaguely remember Queen Margrethe's proclamation in 1972, and you're absolutely right, the atmosphere of the event was indeed "sombre" !

On second thought: I'm in doubt about the ninefold Hurrahs on this occasion; I don't think you shout "Hurrah" in a state of mourning!
Anyway, it's just a detail.

I'm no expert on entronements, but the Danish version has got to be the most low key of all existing monarchies! The Swedes are not making a big production out of it either, there's something about an oath, and if I remember correctly, the monarch is wearing some sort of insignia" !

Viv

Madame Royale, I vaguely remember Queen Margrethe's proclamation in 1972, and you're absolutely right, the atmosphere of the event was indeed "sombre" !

On second thought: I'm in doubt about the ninefold Hurrahs on this occasion; I don't think you shout "Hurrah" in a state of mourning!
Anyway, it's just a detail.

I'm no expert on entronements, but the Danish version has got to be the most low key of all existing monarchies! The Swedes are not making a big production out of it either, there's something about an oath, and if I remember correctly, the monarch is wearing some sort of insignia" !

Viv

The proclamation if King Carl XVI. Gustaf in 1973 was quiet impressive. It took place in the Hall of State of the Royal Palace in Stockholm and the King was seating on the Silver Throne on which was the hermelin placed. And next to the Throne the Crowns. But as it took place under the old Constitution (which was changed in 1974) it is impossible to know if Victoria's proclamation will be the same.

Last edited:
The proclamation if King CArl XVI. Gustaf in 1973 was quiet impressive. It took place in the Hall of STate of the Royal Palace in Stockholm and the King was seating on the Silver Throne on which was the hermelin placed. And next to the Throne the Crowns. But as it took place undeer the old Constitution (which was changed in 1974) it is impossible to know if Victoria's proclamation will be the same.

Thanks, Stefan!

and .. erm.. ..Denmark does take the price for the most low key enthronement in the world!

Viv

Back
Top Bottom