Queen Margrethe II's Enthronement: January 15, 1972

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Stefan!

and .. erm.. ..Denmark does take the price for the most low key enthronement in the world!

Viv

But the one in Belgium for King Albert was also quiet low key. There the Royal Couple drove in an open Car to the Parliament where the King took the oath, then they drove back to the Royal Palace where the Royal Family appeared on the Balcony.

next year will be 40 years since she become queen, will it be celebrated in any way do you think?

I hope so :) Lots and lots of guests, beautiful gowns and tiaras :)

Would be nice but i guess we will have to wait 10 years more for the Golden Jubilee. Her 30th and 20th anniversary where also not celebrated only the Silver Jubilee in 1997.

I also think we have to wait another 11 years to celebrate her ascending the throne :flowers:

But in just 6 years the Regent Couple can celebrate their 50th Wedding anniversary :flowers:

I also think we have to wait another 11 years to celebrate her ascending the throne :flowers:

But in just 6 years the Regent Couple can celebrate their 50th Wedding anniversary :flowers:

And in 3 years Prince Henrik turns 80.

I admire this low key proclamation of the new monarch. No matter how you slice the new head is coming to power because their parent is dead. Not exactly the best way to get a job. Perhaps the announcement and presentation of the new King/Queen should take place a week after the unfortunate event, not the very next day. But not putting on a big bells and whistles parade gets applause from me.

I admire this low key proclamation of the new monarch. No matter how you slice the new head is coming to power because their parent is dead. Not exactly the best way to get a job. Perhaps the announcement and presentation of the new King/Queen should take place a week after the unfortunate event, not the very next day. But not putting on a big bells and whistles parade gets applause from me.
The proclamation has to take place the next day, so the danes (in this case) and the world knows who the regent of Denmark is :flowers:

But aren't we confusing the proclamation with a coronation? I see nothing wrong with proclaiming the new monarch the day following the death of the former king or queen. This would be a somber ceremony but no doubt the new monarch was brought up with the knowledge that he or she would be ruler once a parent was dead; to them it may be sad but not something which grief would not allow them to perform.

As for a coronation, I assume from this thread that the Danish Kings and Queens no longer have coronation ceremonies? Too bad, these ceremonies have a way of uniting the people.

From the State Archives.

The draft to Frederik IX obiturary was prepared in advance: Udkast til Kongens dødsannonce | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

QMII's draft to her official monogram: Dronning Margrethes eget udkast til navnetræk | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And how it ended up looking and here presented to the public in Statstidende as all official announcements, laws and so on must: Kundgørelse i Statstidende | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And a document signed by the then PM, Jens Otto Krag, that it's business as usual after Princess Margrethe became Queen. - I.e. the Parliament need not approve that the administrative decisions made the Executive branch of government in the name of King Frederik IX and during his reign, will now continue in the name of Queen Margrethe II. http://www.flickr.com/photos/statensarkiver/6684539777/in/set-72157628838249929
That meanst that the government administration is still in force, has the necessary authority and their actions are still valid.

The official request from the PM to QMII after the death of her father, that the announcement of her fathers death and she being the new Sovereign may be made public.
QMII approves of the request by her signature.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/statensarkiver/6684540129/in/set-72157628838249929
http://www.flickr.com/photos/statensarkiver/6684540373/in/set-72157628838249929/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/statensarkiver/6684540693/in/set-72157628838249929/

Last edited:
:previous:Really interesting items, thanks Muhler:flowers:

We can expect similar items, when the Queen passes?

:previous:Really interesting items, thanks Muhler:flowers:

We can expect similar items, when the Queen passes?

No doubt. :)

The formalities have to be in order.

There is even a document where QMII has requested that she be addressed in a less reverently manner in official documents. (But still very reverently by modern standards) She also abolished a number of ancient titles used by Danish monarch since King David was a toddler. I ærbødighed - en ny hilsen indføres | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Presumably QMII thought that it was a bit over the top.

No doubt. :)

The formalities have to be in order.

There is even a document where QMII has requested that she be addressed in a less reverently manner in official documents. (But still very reverently by modern standards) She also abolished a number of ancient titles used by Danish monarch since King David was a toddler. I ærbødighed - en ny hilsen indføres | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Presumably QMII thought that it was a bit over the top.

Which ancient titles were they Muhler?

Which ancient titles were they Muhler?

Difficult to translate, but basically listing a number of lands, that at the very latest were obsolete after 1864.

Roughly translated: Conquerour of the Vends and Goths (Northern Germany, from medieval times), Duke to Schleswig, Holstein, Ditmarsken, Lauenborg and Oldenborg. - Lands lost in 1864.

Last edited:
Difficult to translate, but basically listing a number of lands, that at the very latest were obsolete after 1864.

Roughly translated: Conquerour of the Vends and Goths (Northern Germany, from medieval times), Duke to Schelswig, Holstein, Ditmarken, Lauenborg and Oldenborg. - Lands lost in 1864.

Many thanks,knew about the Schelswig title but the others I had never heard of!

Congratulations to HM and I wish her a long and healthy reign.

Roughly translated: Conquerour of the Vends and Goths (Northern Germany, from medieval times), Duke to Schleswig, Holstein, Ditmarsken, Lauenborg and Oldenborg. - Lands lost in 1864.

It was not by her own choice, but simply because the dukedoms have agnatic succesion.

Yes, today it's 45 years since QMII was proclaimed Queen.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #02, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Frederik IX caught a cold a few hours after delivering his New Year speech. It was a bad cold, so he had to cancel the New Year Courts and a few days later he got a heart attack. He was committed to hospital but his condition gradually worsened and on 14th January at 19.50 he died, surrounded by his wife, Queen Ingrid and his three daughters.
In that moment Princess Margrethe became Queen Margrethe. The day she had dreaded since she was thirteen had come. She had lost her beloved father and at the same time had to take on the daunting responsibility of becoming the Monarch.

The wheels were set in motion right away.
At 20.24 the public were told that Frederik IX was dead.

The next forenoon there was a State Council and here the government formally resigned and at the same time offered its condolences.
QMII at once requested the government to continue as before. - That is in accordance with the Constitution where the Monarch appoint and dismiss the governments. QMII had not appointed the government, her father had, hence the reason why the government formally resigned.

At 15.00 the PM, Jens Otto Krag (*) proclaimed the new Monarch from the balcony at Christiansborg in front of 50-75.000 silent people on the square.
He shouted four times, to all four corners of the world: "King Frederik IX is dead. Long live Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II".
Then QMII spoke: "My beloved father, our king, is dead and a great sorrow has afflicted us all. But greatest is the grief for my mother, Queen Ingrid - To her go all warm thoughts.
The deed that for almost 25 years was my father's has now been placed on my shoulders and I pray God help me and give me strength to lift the heavy inheritance. The love and faithfulness the Danish people through all these years have shown my father, became the basis for his deed as king.
May that trust that was shown my father, also be mine. That I ask for. It is that support which will make it possible for me to carry out my deed as Queen of Denmark.
That will be the quest of my life and in that I will dedicate all my work and strength. So help me God.
God's help, the love of the people, the strength of Denmark". (Her motto).

Then PH joined her on the balcony.

Frederik IX was laid on castrum doloris for five days in the palace church of Christiansborg, before he on 24th January was taken through Copenhagen to Copenhagen Main Railway Station, followed by tens of thousands of people.
In front walked the DRF, including two very young Princes. QMII believed they were old enough to attend the morfar's funeral.
On a train Frederik IX was driven to Roskilde and laid to rest outside Roskilde Cathedral.

(*) Jens Otto Krag, Social Democrat, was a very experienced politician and QMII were a bit in awe when dealing with him. She had a much better relationship with his replacement, also a Social Democrat, Anker Jørgensen, who was also very new to the job.
Jens Otto Krag was a republican and he is quoted to having said about then Princess Margrethe: "I hear she's intelligent. A pity". - Meaning that it was a waste of her intellect to be a royal and a later monarch.

Last edited:

On the occasion of the anniversary the Palace shared a video of Queen Margrethe talking about the royal flags that were brought to Christian IX's Palacshortly after King Frederik IX's death:

** kongehuset.dk: De kongelige faner **

It was not by her own choice, but simply because the dukedoms have agnatic succesion.

Denmark ceded the duchies to Prussia and Austria after its defeat in the Second Schleswig War, but the Danish monarchs used the titles up till Queen Margrethe II.

Back
Top Bottom