Queen Margrethe II’s 40th Jubilee Celebrations: January-February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I presume they have to have a very little spoon, or how do you suppose to to take the salt from there?
I guess there´s a little spoon inside the box, if the box contains salt :flowers:

Adding my thanks Muhler, I also wanted to enquire whether HRH Prince Consort's uniform was specially tailored for the occasion. Prince Henrik has a difficult figure to fit ( all that wine has taken a toll:bang:) so that I think the tailor of this particular uniform also deserves an honourable mention:flowers: for a job well done!:cheers: Although the prince consort will never look slim, here at least he looks presentable, thanks to good tailoring!:cool:
Prince Henrik wear the gala uniforms of the military.
His favourite appears to be the light blue airforce uniform, which in my opinion is a little bit too modern.
The tailor of Prince Henrik´s airforce uniform is Margit Brandt.

She passed away in october, but both her and her husband Erik Brandt was/is good friends of QMII and Prince Henrik.

It wasn´t Erik Norman Svendsen´s blessing he gave, but the Lord´s Blessing.

Thanks for pointing this out, FasterB, I was about getting worried.:D! 'Normal -Svendsen' is OK and a decent theologian, but nothing more than that ... ;)!

viv

Thanks for pointing this out, FasterB, I was about getting worried.:D! 'Normal -Svendsen' is OK and a decent theologian, but nothing more than that ... ;)!

viv
You´re welcome, Viv :flowers: I just can´t help but love Erik Norman Svendsen :wub: :wub:

Måske du ved, hvordan man oversætter "lyser/lyste velsignelsen"?

I loved the pictures with the children at the cathedral and also at the balcony. They are all so gorgeous. As I am terribly fond of children, I always priorize the photos where they appear.
May God protect and guide Queen Margareth II for many many years.

Oh how cute the children's pictures are, reminds me of when we go to church. Always try to bring something to keep them occupied!

Ok - dear fellow posters - I have to make a confession.
I was somehow underwhelmed with the appearences of the royal ladies during QM 40th anniversary celebrations.

Starting with the main person herself:
Queen Margrethe celebrates 40 years on Danish throne
She had much more dramatic appearences dress and jewelrylike in the past - I found it rather conventional.

Queen Sivia:
One of the most glamouros gowns of the evening - but let's face it - she also did better in the past.

Queen Anne Marie:
I am quite sure, we have seen this dress before - I like it - but again, not too glamorous. And ... blue seems to have been the colour of the evening

CPs MC:
Ok - nothing to complain here. I think it was wise to pair this tiara with a rather simple classical dresss...

CP MM:
I think she has shown recently more glamour than here

CP Mary:
great jewelry entry, but the dress is not supporting the jewelry in my opinion - more reflecting the conventional blue dress of QM....

Nothing really not to like but .... as said ... a little underwhelming.

Why, countess felicitas, do you post the same hello-link 6 times, starting the gallery always with the same pic?!

Queen Sonja recycled a white dress which is wonderful with her emeralds.(UK and Belgium)
Queen Anne Marie and Princess Benedikte : new dresses ?

Queen Anne-Marie receycled her blue dress from the 70th birthday of Margrethe and Victoria's wedding.
I think that Benediktes purple bee dress was new. And I hope to see it again, I simply love it!

Yes, she was at the gala concert saturday. She sat next to Martin Jørgensen or was it Countess Alexandra.
I just noticed that I mixed up her name. The article is about Countess Feodora.
I hadn't seen her at the concert berfore.

Yees the article tell about her heair dresser, but the photos show how she start with her heair short and finish with this gorgeous updo and her tiara and there one can realized , she has fake heair! now where do they get it? becasue i must say it looks fantastic!

I believe that it's fairly normal to use fake hairpieces for these phantastic up-dos.

Ok - dear fellow posters - I have to make a confession.
I was somehow underwhelmed with the appearences of the royal ladies during QM 40th anniversary celebrations.

(..)
This was an extremely regal event for a Queen that has reigned for 40 years. The royal ladies were all very royally elegant and stylish. Glamour is for Oscar events. This was a royal event and stylish means something very different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed following the celebrations of HM's Jubilee. The highlight regards to fashion for me was the gorgeous cashmere coat HM wore to City Hall, a stunning look, and she looked truly beautiful. Upstaging everyone else in my view. Most poignant moment for me was when the three sisters laid a wreath at their parents grave. These three ladies are very good at including family from the past. It was lovely to see all the ladies dressed up for the Concert and gala dinner, regardless that some of the gowns we've seen before. And there were two wonderful surprises. That of Prss Theodora wearing the borrowed turquoise bandeau from her Aunt - Tante. And the wonderful reappearance of the Greek tiara on Cr Prss Marie Chantal.
The enjoyment would not have been possible, without so many of you who were kind enough to post the links and the information for the rest of us to follow. So many thanks to you all. Cheers

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #04, 2012.
Hemmelig nattefest for Margrethe - Secret nocturnal/night-party for Margrethe.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The Regent Couple was invited to a party by their closest friends at Hofteatret (The Court Theatre, located next to the stables at Christiansborg).
The organisers were Dorte and Nils Foss (they are pretty loaded) and present were 50 guests, including M&F.
The theatre is from 1766, so the guests had been instructed not to wear needle pointed stilettos, so as not to scratch the floor.

However, Prince Henrik was wearing his full and pretty colorful attire, right down to his shoes! - That man is an eccentric dresser. :lol:

Anyway, after the dinner it was time for dancing and entertainment. Prince Henrik sang a tender French lovesong to his wife and QMII responded with a ballad by Cæsar (*) called "Flade Jensen = Flat Jensen". Amusing everyone.
The former Foreign Minister Uffe Elleman sang an eskimo ballad, wielding a trifork in place of a harpoon.

The party ended sometime after midnight.

Mary was wearing a dark mink fur coat over a mocca-coloured dress. Her earrings were from Georg Jensen in 18 carats gold, with smoke-topazes (whatever that is). In her hand she had a clutch from Bottega Veneta.

(*) Danes are of course familiar with Cæsar with the song Storkespringvandet. He was mainly a protest singer around 1968 and he has also dealt with working class songs, of the kind they sang in the countless pubs and inns all over mainly Copenhagen. Let us say that even though the songs are about a 100 years or so, some of them are pretty explicit!
I can well imagine that QMII, and not least PH, with their fondness for the subtleties of the Danish language would appreciate these songs.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #04, 2012.
Hemmelig nattefest for Margrethe - Secret nocturnal/night-party for Margrethe.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The Regent Couple was invited to a party by their closest friends at Hofteatret (The Court Theatre, located next to the stables at Christiansborg).
The organisers were Dorte and Nils Foss (they are pretty loaded) and present were 50 guests, including M&F.
The theatre is from 1766, so the guests had been instructed not to wear needle pointed stilettos, so as not to scratch the floor.

However, Prince Henrik was wearing his full and pretty colorful attire, right down to his shoes! - That man is an eccentric dresser. :lol:

Anyway, after the dinner it was time for dancing and entertainment. Prince Henrik sang a tender French lovesong to his wife and QMII responded with a ballad by Cæsar (*) called "Flade Jensen = Flat Jensen". Amusing everyone.
The former Foreign Minister Uffe Elleman sang an eskimo ballad, wielding a trifork in place of a harpoon.

The party ended sometime after midnight.

Mary was wearing a dark mink fur coat over a mocca-coloured dress. Her earrings were from Georg Jensen in 18 carats gold, with smoke-topazes (whatever that is). In her hand she had a clutch from Bottega Veneta.

(*) Danes are of course familiar with Cæsar with the song Storkespringvandet. He was mainly a protest singer around 1968 and he has also dealt with working class songs, of the kind they sang in the countless pubs and inns all over mainly Copenhagen. Let us say that even though the songs are about a 100 years or so, some of them are pretty explicit!
I can well imagine that QMII, and not least PH, with their fondness for the subtleties of the Danish language would appreciate these songs.
Muhler, thank you for this but as a non Dane, I want to appreciate these songs too, of course!:bang:Do please share as best you can for those of us who are Danish challenged!:cool:

Muhler, thank you for this but as a non Dane, I want to appreciate these songs too, of course!:bang:Do please share as best you can for those of us who are Danish challenged!:cool:

You are welcome. :)

Here is a list from YouTube of songs by Cæsar: cæsar - YouTube

"Storkespringvandet = The Fountain of Storks" is a fountain in Copenhagen, where youths with "Beatles-hair" gathered in the 60's, outragning passers-by and the police were more than happy to use their truncheons on those hoodlums!

The other songs are mainly more or less lewd songs from early 1900's, as they were sung in taverns and small pubs in workingclass neighborhoods.
"I Holmens gade, Røvens kælder = In the Navy street, in the basement of the Ass" - which is a reference to a pub with either an interesting nickname or the proprietor had an interesting nickname!
Potifar, forfra og bagfra - Potifar, back and forth" - Well, guess what that refers to.
The songs are pretty dirty! But elegantly performed and it's after all a part of the workingclass culture of the time.

In contrast to the song about pre-hippies being beaten up by the police in the early 60's we have these from the early 60's as well:
Four Jacks, a quartet of singers who were really great.
With all due respect to Johnny Horton, their interpretation of North to Alaska is better than the original.
Their interpretation of Mandalay is also the best I know of. And I can warmly recommend their version of Tom Dooley as well.
If you like them look for covers with four gentlemen in front, they are the best versions.
Thus concludes this leacture of Danish culture. ;)

Four Jacks - Kom til Alaska 1961 Original; Johnny Horton - North To Alaska - YouTube

Last edited:
As far as I know there's another gala event going on right now for Queen Margrethe's celebration. I tried going to dr.dk and tv2.dk, but don't know Danish so am having a hard time seeing if there's anything live. Does anyone else know?

:previous:

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik hosted a dinner for the Diplomatic Corps at Christiansborg this evening,
February 1st - on the occasion of Queen Margrethe's silver jubilee. Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess
Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte were present as well.

Here are the first pics:

** sn.dk gallery **

** ppe gallery ** ppe gallery 2 **

** dpp: Danish royals attend gala dinner for Diplomatic Corps ** lehtikuva.fi gallery **

** svenskdam.se gallery: Margrethe bjöd på ny galamiddag i Danmark **

** BB: Mary har travlt: Fra mode-event til kongelig galla ** translation **

** purepeople: Princesse Mary : Mannequin un jour, beauté de gala royal le lendemain **

Last edited:
Thank You Iceflower for the wonderful links. Purepeople have some lovely closeup shots. You are a champion, Iceflower and I thank you for your time and trouble and to everyone else who contributes links.
cheers

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Tarlita! :flowers:

Today, February 7, Queen Margrethe participated in a parade of the armed forces at the Kastellet
in Copenhagen that was organized to mark the Queen's jubilee.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

I want that coat. I really do. I would probably never use it as I would fear getting it dirty, but I want it anyway.
IMO the Snow Queen look is the best HM has shown of in years. (though I am not fond of the shoes here)

And Muhler really - now I will be humming "Store stygge storkespringvand" in days. :whistling:

I am glad this jubilee has been such a grand event. Makes me wonder just how big her Golden Jubilee will be in 10 years. :flowers:

I want that coat. I really do. I would probably never use it as I would fear getting it dirty, but I want it anyway.
IMO the Snow Queen look is the best HM has shown of in years. (though I am not fond of the shoes here)
Me neither, but I think she chose to do the safe thing here, due to the cold cold weather. I think the cobblestone are pretty slippery in this weather :flowers:

Me neither, but I think she chose to do the safe thing here, due to the cold cold weather. I think the cobblestone are pretty slippery in this weather :flowers:

I don't mind the style as much as the color. It just doesn't fit with all that white.
Though I see she tries to make it work with the purse and gloves... Maybe if she had chosen a hat in the same color.

But anyway - I so respect anyone who dares have (almost) bare legs outside these days. :eek:

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Tarlita! :flowers:

Today, February 7, Queen Margrethe participated in a parade of the armed forces at the Kastellet
in Copenhagen that was organized to mark the Queen's jubilee.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
The queen looks awesome in this white coat, very regal.:flowers: ...but I don't like black booties. ;)

Back
Top Bottom