Queen Margrethe II’s 40th Jubilee Celebrations: January-February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, how interesting, I'd just love to know what was in the blue box, as well as the gold place setting containers on the head table.

What very strange, almost gargoyle like, heads are decorating the lower walls of the dining room!
Do they represent any important historical people in particular?
Does anyone know the history of this art work?

Otherwise, I do love the colours of the flowers for the dinner.

may be we can ask to billedbladet, they always answer questions

This is the photo you mean. Unfortunately we can't see what's inside the blue box.

Looking at the photo I was wondering inFred medals, the light blue I thought there are like the one it was for Henrik birthday last year and the onethey use for the Queen jubile celebration, what are the ohters?

Last edited by a moderator:
In it, they claim that Princess Mary of Denmark is the second wife of Prince Frederik.... :ROFLMAO:

They must have edited the article because it no longer says that. Plus it's easy to Marie and Mary mixed up.
The article does show the lovely display of jewels.

What very strange, almost gargoyle like, heads are decorating the lower walls of the dining room!
Do they represent any important historical people in particular?
Does anyone know the history of this art work?
If it´s the head behind CP Frederik in the photo where he´s showing the blue box to Queen Sonja, then it´s heads on the tapestry given to QMII at her 50th birthday.

You can read more here: The Queen's Tapestries - Agency for Palaces and Cultural Properties

Quite a few people commented to the Daily Mail about the silly, little error so they must have changed it. So much for the editor doing a proper job.

They must have edited the article because it no longer says that. Plus it's easy to Marie and Mary mixed up.
The article does show the lovely display of jewels.

Yes, they changed it. In the version I read it said after the pics that Mary is the "second" wife, they removed the "second" in the meantime.

The DM and the Brits in general have no clue about other royals than their own therefore I am not surprised about the blunder.

The only reason the event got into the DM are the nice dresses and the bling.

The only reason the event got into the DM are the nice dresses and the bling.

Don't know about you but I am a fiend for good pictures of nice dresses and bling. Thankfully I am not a general brit however. :)

I found that crown princess Mary looked beautiful in the red dress and Queen Sonja looked so majestic in the white gown and I also loved crown princess Marie Chantal too and her tiara I also did like crown princess mette marit's dress only that I didn't like that the top part was in the form of a t-shirt but otherwise I liked the design at the bottom.

Summary of countless articles in Billed Bladet #03, 2012.
Written by all the royal reporters.
Part one.

Friday:
Mary and Frederik threw a small party for the cousins at their home Friday evening.

Saturday:
Roskilde.
A cold day.
The DRF were driven from the station to the cathedral, where hundreds of locals had gathered. But there was no music or any other celebration. All in accordance with the somewhat sombre mood. After having greeted the bishop of Roskilde the DRF went to the enclosure outside the cathedral where the graves of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid is located. (QMII and PH will be buried inside the cathedral). Here four navy cadets were standing with three wreaths in different colours and a green anchor.
QMII, Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte placed their wreaths at the same time. Afterwards the oldest son of each of the three sisters laid down the anchor at the graves.
The DRF priest Erik Norman Svendsen said a short prayer and gave his blessing (FasterB this is for you: Lyste velsignelsen) after which all quietly left.
Princess Theodora was positively freezing.
Mary’s grey coat was from Prada.
QMII’s coat was made from sealskin.

Carriage through the streets.
The Regent Couple sat inside a 172 year old carriage, adorned with 24 carats leaf-gold and the Danish coat of arms on the doors. There is only room for two and there is no heating, so they use fur to keep warm at this time of year. It was drawn by six white stallions of Klaudrubers.

Copenhagen town hall.
Twenty choirs sang in the town hall. Among them a small choir of homeless. A choir from Greenland, one from the Faeroe Islands and one from Iceland, all in national costumes.
The mayor of Copenhagen, Frank Jensen, gave a speech.
One of the songs, “Den danske sang er en ung blond pige = The Danish song is a young blond maid” is among QMII’s favourites and she teared up, when she heard it.
The white outfit QMII wore was made from Jersey wool by Celli Freifeldt. Per Falk Hansen made the coat and hat, in cashmere with mink fur.
QMII went out on the balcony at 14.24 and listened to the people present singing to her.
Then it was time for lunch and QMII was in a great mood and stayed on for half an hour more than scheduled.

The gala show at the (DR1) Concert Hall.
QMII wore a silk dress by Birgitte Thaulow.
The keen eyed among you may have spotted the embroidered frog in gold; Frederik wore on his bow tie.
Queen Silvia wore a dress she had also worn in 2003.
Queen Sonja wore the same dress she wore during her first state visit to DK in 1991.
Mary’s dress was also recycled; she had worn it in 2006.
Princess Benedikte’s dress was from Wichmann Couture.
Countess Susie of Rosenborg wore a dress by Tanja Shakir.
Countess Anne Dorte of Rosenborg wore a dress by Kirsten Marker.
Josephine of Rosenborg wore a dress by Martha Hetting.
Camilla of Rosenborg wore a dress by Bride Fashion.
Feodora of Rosenborg wore a dress by Kirsten Marker.
Carina Axelsson wore a dress by Birgit Hallstein.
Susanne Heering wore a dress by Julie Fagerholt.
Dorrit Moussaieff, the Icelandic first lady wore a dress by the Icelandic designer Helga.
Margrethe Vestager wore a dress by Wichmann Couture.
PM Helle Thorning also wore a dress by Wichmann Couture. (Have they phoned all designers in DK? I haven’t even listed all of them!)
The entire staff of the DRF, all of them, including cleaners was invited as well. So Tanja Doky was present, for once accompanying her husband. The same thing was the case with Caroline Heering, with her Peter, who has just returned from service in Afghanistan.
And Marie’s LiW, Britt Siesbye.
The conferenciers of the evening were Nikolaj Koppel and Ditte Hansen, who wore a dress by Lasse Spangenberg.
After the show QMII and the rest of the DRF said thanks to the entertainers who had lined up in the foyer. The comedian Søren Østergaard, who is among QMII’s favourites, received a warm handshake. The singer Sanne Salomonsen, whom M&F know very well (at least to the point of Sanne knowing Mary’s personal phone number) got a hug from Frederik.
Eddie Skoller, a singer and entertainer, who plays tennis with Prince Henrik sang a poem Prince Henrik had written to his wife: Immortal Passion. He explained: “He hasn’t heard it before so it’s a premiere for both him and the Queen. – It is after all very personal that the Prince Consort has written poem for his Queen and that it is then sung aloud on am evening like this”.
The DRF was seated in the designated royal lounge, alas during the first half of the show Nikolai and Felix couldn’t see that much from second row. That was remedied in the second half, where each was seated on a big cushion. They were however able to see their mother, Alexandra and her Martin. They waved to each other.
During the intermission the Regent Couple held court, which translated to commoners, mean that they walked around and greeted as many as possible of the nearly 1.600 guests present. – Two or three incidentally fainted.
Joachim said to a BB reporter at the end of the evening: “The Princess is really well and we’ve had a fantastic evening. – Haven’t we”? He lovingly showed Nikolai who smiled: “Yeah, it’s been really fun”.
The gala show ended at 23.30.

After the concert, there was an after party at the palais where Joachim and Marie have their apartment. Apparently Joachim opened his home, so to speak, for those who wanted to party. Apart from the Regent Couple and M&F that included the Greeks and the Berleburgs. The party went on from Midnight until 02.00. Judging from the sound from the windows, the mood was good!
QMII left the party at 01.15.

Part two:

Sunday:
The State Council in the early forenoon.
This took place at Christiansborg and it was the 500th in reign of QMII. Some additional councils had been added in order for the figure to reach 500 on this particular day. Something that didn’t please all the ministers. Well, they all had their picture taken and got a mentioning on this day, so perhaps they will eventually learn to live with that….
There wasn’t much business on this day. QMII was congratulated and she was presented with the gift from the Parliament. (See further down).

Noon at Amalienborg.
All three balconies were used. One for QMII and PH. One for her two sisters and their husbands and the third for Joachim and Frederik and their considerable families.
Resident guests, i.e. the heads of states for the other Nordic countries went out on a balcony of Christian VII palais, where they were staying. Here a number of the children of Benedikte and Anne-Marie also went out on one of the balconies.
Queen Anne-Marie was wearing georgette-suit from Celli Freifeldt.
Isabella had to get up on her toes in order to see over the railing of the balcony. Christian was waving eagerly.

Celebratory service at Christiansborg Church.
M&F and their children entered the church after Joachim and his two boys, and while Christian willingly joined his cousins (fætre), Isabella looked at them for a moment before deciding to join her parents instead.
Christian was at some point observed trying to sing along to one of the psalms. (He should know the Lords Prayer by now, because Frederik has said that they say that with children at bedtime. Or at least did, when they were younger).
Instead Bella took turn in sitting on the lap of her mother or dad, whom she cuddled up to. In her shoulder bag she had brought some books for children to pass the time. (Pixi books). She also generously gave her dad a couple liquorices, she kept in her bag.
Christian brought a mini skateboard and while the cousins were well behaved, sitting right underneath a number of photographers, “uncle” Konstantin nevertheless had to help retrieve the board several times.
When the Regent Couple entered the church it was to the sudden and loud sound of The Emperors Fanfare, startling poor Nikolai and leading Bella and Christian to putting their fingers in their ears for a moment.
The service was led by bishop Peter Skov-Jacobsen, assisted by the DRF priest Erik Normann Svendsen.
When leaving the church Bella partially jumped in order not to step on the lines between the tiles. She left the church holding the hands of mother Mary and Mette-Marit.
QMII’s suit was by Celli Freifeldt and her hat by Per Falk Hansen.

Gala dinner at Christiansborg.
It was expected that Frederik would give a speech, but he didn’t.
QMII wore a dress by Birgitte Thaulow.
Princess Benedikte wore a dress by Henrik Hviid.
Marie Chantal’s dress was from Louis Vuitton.
Carina Axelsson’s dress was made by Birgit Hallstein.
The Icelandic first lady, Dorrit, wore a dress by Vivienne Westwood.
Tanja Doky wore a dress by Marc Lecomte. (Good grief! If this continues I can soon apply for a job at a fashion magazine! And we continue…)
Britt Siesby wore a dress by Charlotte Eskildsen.
Lene Balleby wore one by Jesper Høvring.
The PM, Helle Thorning wore a dress from Wichmann.
So was the dress by Margrethe Vestager.
The dinner started and King Harald stepped on Queen Sonja’s train, after which she managed to entangle her dress in her chair. A predicament Frederik chivalrously helped her out of.
Many among the guests noticed a little black box in front of them. That contained the commemoration medal of the jubilee. – For those who hadn’t received it yet. And a lot has received that medal!
Above them hang six Venetian chandeliers, each with 60 lights and Copenhagen Boys Choir sang during the dinner.

Presents:
A carpet with the Danish coat of arms in very vivid colours from the Parliament and government. QMII remarked that the carpet: “Strikes back”.
A bench made from granite, to be placed at Marselisborg, was the present from Aarhus municipality.
From the island of Ærø QMII was presented with a handmade chair.
Frederiksberg municipality gave her two oak trees to be planted at the lodge at Trend.
Copenhagen municipality gave her 200 damask napkins from Georg Jensen.
The air force gave her a glass vase.
But the most interesting will probably be the present from Greenland. A tiara made from gold mined in Greenland. Eighteen different species of flowers from Greenland will decorate the tiara. Altogether 200 flowers will be attached to the tiara.
Goldsmith Nicolai Appel will complete the tiara in the spring of this year.

Prince Henrik told the reporter John Lautrup about the jubilee at a hunt in Grib Forest on Tuesday.
“I know that the highlight for the Queen was the entertainment at the party in the concert hall, but also very much the speech of the Prime Minister. The Queen was very pleased by that speech and (she) was moved.
It was all very moving; it was one big party for all of us. As for myself, the entertainment in the concert hall was probably the best”.
About his own speech to QMII: “I think the Queen was pleased”.
He ended by saying: “I cannot hide that I’m tired. Can you tell”?

The Norwegian CP-couple lived in the residence of M&F during their stay.

Last edited:
The DRF priest Erik Norman Svendsen said a short prayer and gave his blessing (FasterB this is for you: Lyste velsignelsen) after which all quietly left.
It wasn´t Erik Norman Svendsen´s blessing he gave, but the Lord´s Blessing. I don´t know exactly how to translate it...

After the concert, there was an after party at the palais where Joachim and Marie have their apartment. Apparently Joachim opened his home, so to speak, for those who wanted to party. Apart from the Regent Couple and M&F that included the Greeks and the Berleburgs. The party went on from Midnight until 02.00. Judging from the sound from the windows, the mood was good!
QMII left the party at 01.15.
So that´s why poor CP Frederik looked soooo tired sunday - partying all night :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But the most interesting will probably be the present from Greenland. A tiara made from gold mined in Greenland. Eighteen different species of flowers from Greenland will decorate the tiara. Altogether 200 flowers will be attached to the tiara.
Goldsmith Nicolai Appel will complete the tiara in the spring of this year.
WOW :eek: I can´t wait to see this new tiara :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #03, 2012.
Se, det er mig - Look, that's me.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The recent unveiling of the painting of three generations in the DRF took place at Frederiksborg Castle. (*) This took place in the Hall of Angels, full of painting, carvings and ornaments there was enough to catch the attention of Christian who had been placed between his parents. He studied the things around him while M&F quietly explained to him what he was looking at.
Okay, with the adults-talking-a-lot-and-it's-pretty-boring-if-you-are-a-child-thing over, it was time for work. Christian and QMII palced themselves next to the painting and farmor (paternal grandmother) Margrethe said: "Pull the cord". Revealing the painting.
Afterwards he pointed himself out in the painting: "Look, that's me", to his parents.
And when grandpapa Henrik joined them a little later Christian explained: "I'm standing there". Just in case he hadn't noticed.
Christian wore the same jacket at the unveiling as he wore in the painting.

Then the painting was carried over to an exhibition at the castle, which depict various important personalities in Danish history during the past 40 years. QMII took her grandson by the hand and gave him a tour of the exhibition, before it was time for the reception. Christian had fizzy water, the adults wine.
After a couple of hours they all left. Christian confidently carrying a bag with a book about the exhibition and the painting.

QMII is no different from other grandmothers all over the world, who tend to go ga-ga over their grandchildren. Almost bursting with pride she asked our reporter afterwards: "Don't you think he managed fantastically well"?

(*) Here various portraits and the coats of arms of members of the DRF through the ages hang.
With moats and all it's a true Renaissance castle.

Thanks FasterB :flowers: I knew we could count on you.
The Lord's Blessing, got it.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #03, 2012.
Hånd i hånd - Hand in hand.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

After the unveiling of the portrait in the forenoon it was back to Amalienborg for the opening of the exhibition of dresses, called Royal galla.
M&F strolled from their palais over to Christian VIII's Palais where the exhibtion takes place. Hand in hand. Frederik keeping his pocket warm as always and Mary wearing a jacket from Prada.

Here they joined the Regent Couple and Joachim who had left our Marie home at the apartment due to a cold.

Apart from dresses by QMII, there are also dresses worn by Mary and Marie exhibited.
QMII, very remarkably indeed, still has the same size as she had 40 years ago, so only once size of dress form is needed for her dresses.

Last edited:
isabella is adorable...and marie chantal very prety in the dinner

Muhler, Tusind Tak! for all that information, finally we knowwhat it isin the blue box, now we have to find out about the gold boxes?????
I can not wait to see the new tiara!!!!! with 200 flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muhler, Tusind Tak! for all that information, finally we knowwhat it isin the blue box, now we have to find out about the gold boxes?????
IIRC, then the gold boxes are containing salt... Or is that only at the seat of Prince Henrik? :ermm:

Thank you so much Muhler, for your summaries. I found the list of presents very interesting, especially the coming tiara!.
Also, the fashion threads hadn't mentioned who designed Marie Chantal's dress so maybe you do have a future in that realm...
Also v interesting, that the CP Norweigians stayed w/m&f.

Does anyone have links to the CNN interviews with Queen Margarethe and the GRF?

IIRC, then the gold boxes are containing salt... Or is that only at the seat of Prince Henrik? :ermm:
I presume they have to have a very little spoon, or how do you suppose to to take the salt from there?

Thank you so much Muhler, for your summaries. I found the list of presents very interesting, especially the coming tiara!.
Also, the fashion threads hadn't mentioned who designed Marie Chantal's dress so maybe you do have a future in that realm...
Also v interesting, that the CP Norweigians stayed w/m&f.
Adding my thanks Muhler, I also wanted to enquire whether HRH Prince Consort's uniform was specially tailored for the occasion. Prince Henrik has a difficult figure to fit ( all that wine has taken a toll:bang:) so that I think the tailor of this particular uniform also deserves an honourable mention:flowers: for a job well done!:cheers: Although the prince consort will never look slim, here at least he looks presentable, thanks to good tailoring!:cool:

A questions for the danish posters; Does Prince Henrik wear uniforms that are designed especially for him, colors and style, or are they standard uniforms from the segments of the military? Some of the uniforms almost have a look of fairytale drawings.

Thanks Muhler entertaining and informative.

Adding my thanks Muhler, I also wanted to enquire whether HRH Prince Consort's uniform was specially tailored for the occasion. Prince Henrik has a difficult figure to fit ( all that wine has taken a toll:bang:) so that I think the tailor of this particular uniform also deserves an honourable mention:flowers: for a job well done!:cheers: Although the prince consort will never look slim, here at least he looks presentable, thanks to good tailoring!:cool:

Prince Henrik wear the gala uniforms of the military.
His favourite appears to be the light blue airforce uniform, which in my opinion is a little bit too modern.

So, no Göring-uniforms for PH. Which is probably just as well, considering PH's otherwise shall we say colourful taste in attire....:p

Prince Henrik certainly has a considerably pondus/aplomb. He would have been an ideal mature man some 500 years ago...

You are welcome all of you :)

Back
Top Bottom