The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003
I just cannot say how hoorified and embarrased I was to see that painting unveiled. It is so shocking and Christian should have been more formally dressed as it is a formal and well !!!! IMPORTANT PORTRAIT. What a stupid thing to have done.
What's so shocking is that such an important portrait looks so terrible.
Maybe that should be your main comment rather than one on the attire of a 6 year old. For a child of that age to stand for a portrait (which although shocking must have taken a while) he needs to be comfortable. Also, what's he supposed to wear? Top hat and tails or perhaps a mini military uniform like his father. The whole portrait is wrong, not just Christian.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Courtier

Very well put, lumutqueen! I couldn´t agree more.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Courtier

What lancchick said!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Nobility

A video of Queen Margrethe speaking with a BBC reporter.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
(*) Aren't those tho palais placed directly opposite? Which means that it would be impossible to see Frederik VIII's Palais in that angle?
The painting are form the Riddersal in the palais where QMII and PH lives, right? Then you can indeed see the palais where the CPC is living

If you can see the upperview of Amalienborg and you know which palais is QMIIs (and it´s placed in the lower left corner) then the one to the right is the CPC Palais
Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Adamari , for the video.

Notice how guarded she became when she was asked the pontially politically loaded questions about the current crisis in Europe.

If you say so, FasterB, I believe you.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I was rather surprised at how much Margrethe paused, looking for the right words during that interview. From all the english interviews I've heard with her, she's always been so eloquent when articulating her learned tongue.

What a charming woman though. Denmark will never see another monarch like her, just as Britain will never see another monarch like Elizabeth II. There is something very special about these two I find. Something that is totally irreplaceable and entirely unique.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you, Adamari , for the video.

Notice how guarded she became when she was asked the pontially politically loaded questions about the current crisis in Europe.

If you say so, FasterB, I believe you.
Indeed, the Queen,I think, is rarely at a loss for words but in this interview, she is quite literally gulping for air! What could she say besides 'ha ha, we voted against the Euro' which she couldn't say anyway! The interviewer was on dangerous ground asking the question in the first place, so one wonders why the questions were not submitted in advance, which is usual practice, especially in this very unusual situation! One does not get to interview a reigning Queen very often, especially if you are with the BBC!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Courtier

I totally agree ... She seemed to be to be at a loss did words and very unprepared re: QEII. Quite surprised'
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Royal Highness

She sounds guarded. I do not blame her. The press can be vicious. And she knows how the British press can be especially. I admire her so much. Such an intelligent woman. I admire the painting. This is 2012, he is a young boy. Gone are the days where in paintings everyone has to look constipated...lol..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Royal Highness

I mean, not to sound rude, but have you seen paintings and pictures of Queen Victoria's kids and grandkids?!?! Umm...big fat faces, not smiling, dirty looking stringy hair (even piled up), women with unibrows (Princess Margaret of Sweden, Princess Beatrice of Edinburgh). I mean, at least some painters..softened...their features. I like the painting...modern...unique...confident... just like HM. Congratulations to her..long may she reign!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

The president of Finland, Tarja Halonen and her husband, doctor Pentti Arajärvi, attend the celebrations on Sunday 15th.
Suomen tasavallan presidentti
Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Okay, the TV-coverage has started.

I wonder if you are able to watch it live here: DR NU

A little service: Dronning means queen.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Okay, the TV-coverage has started.

I wonder if you are able to watch it live here: DR NU
Can´t watch it from Finland.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps there are other live feeds from DR1?

Does this link work? LIVE: Følg dronningens jubilæum - minut for minut - dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer

The wreaths have been laid at the graves of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid, with the cameras maintining a discreet distance.

QMII, Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte each laid down a wreath. Queen Anne-Marie was visibly moved.
Frederik were among three cousins who laid down a wreath in the shape of an anchor, they represented the younger generation.

All the Greek and Berleburg adults were there, including Carina Axelsson.
No children.
No Marie.
Mary was wearing a long coat and a blue-greyish beret-hat. - Despite the sun it's a pretty cold day today. The ice on the pools of water here and there haven't melted yet.

Video of the ceremony from TV2: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/...ument.html?rss This you can see.

That's it from me....
Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the link Muhler. Loved the three sisters' synchronised curtsey.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

CNN's Max Foster talked with Denmark's Queen Margrethe II ahead of her celebrating her 40th year on the throne.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Tommy100

A picture of a stylish Mary in Roskilde: Billed-Bladet - Fejringen af dronningen begyndte i København

What is happening now is that the changing of the guard will take place at noon as usual. Then the Horse Squadron from The Guards Hussars will line up, before the Regent Couple will ride out in the carriage.

You may notice in the various clips that the sentries on duty from the Royal Lifeguard is looking around. That's normal. Their function is primarily to physically protect the DRF, secondary to perform ceremonial duty. I happened to notice the relieving detail lock and load their rifles in front of their barracks at Rosenborg Slot. (Anyone who has served is familiar with that practice before guard duty).

The Guards Hussars consists of conscripts. All the conscripts in the Horse Squadron are volunteers and a little more than half of them are now women. (Physically speaking women of today are excellently suited as hussars. Modern women are actually a bit taller than hussars were during the Napoleonic Wars).
In contrast to other ceremonial hussar regiments around the world, the Danish Guards Hussars were kepis with plumes, instead of fur caps, which is more common. Nor does the the Danish hussars use a skull as a badge on their headgear. The skull traditionally being the symbol of hussars.
The privates in the Horse squadon are not addressed by their name, but by the town they come from. If a hussar is from the town of say Roskilde, he (or more likely she) will be addressed Roskilde.
That had a practical purpose. In the old days with no or at best inadequate maps, the commander of the squadron would call out Roskilde! When the squadron approached that town. The private with that name would ride up front and guide the squadron through the streets and also help guiding the other troopers in finding the places they were billeted.

Apart from the Guards Hussars, there will also be mounted police officers and mounted representatives from the British, Swedish and I believe the Norwegian armies.

QMII isn't the only gal who is celebrating her jubilee this year. Dannebrog will turn 80 in 2012, on Frederik's birthday to be exact.
There is a two year waitning list to serve as a volunteer conscript onboard Dannebrog.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

picture galleries from today

sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder

sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder

Se billeder: Kransenedlæggelse i Roskilde | www.b.dk

http://galleri.tv2.dk/Nyhederne/47438210/0/?forside

http://www.b.dk/billedeserier/dronning-paa-hyldesttur
Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

The SRF and NRF will be present at the townhall in a little less than an hour from now.

A little detail our American members may appreciate; the Navy band just played the US Marine Corps Hymn - From the Halls of Montezuma...

When QMII steps out on the balcony at the twonhall, the spectators on the square will apparantly sing to her.

Regularly updated video clips from TV2: TV 2 Nyhederne - Live

The clips appear to be posted with perhaps ½ hours delay or so.

QMII is appropriately dressed in white - The Snow Queen...

A little more for the uniform nerds:
The hussars are riding geldings. They are "Danish Warmbloods.
Notice the harness across the "faces" of the horses. They are made from clams. Originally they were there to offer some protection against sabre blows.
The cavalry close combat technique that was developed in the 1600's by curiassiers, dictated that the first blow should land on the head of the horse and as the horse went down, the second blow should hit the rider. Cuirassiers back then used heavy swords, later on heavy dragoons and cuirassiers used pallasks, hussars used the lighter sabres.
The troopers ride brown horses, but the trompeters (not buglars) being signalmen ride lightgrey/whitish horses, simply in order for the commander to spot his signalmen in the confusion of battle.

ADDED: Pics from Billed Bladet: https://picasaweb.google.com/1008659...rmtKongeligtTJ

Check also this link for updates: https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354