The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Good grief!! Did they pay the artist for this?!?
I hope not!
The painting looks awfully flat, there seems to be no depth, the people look so lifeless and fake, and the composition is quite poor, imho.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Courtier

The artist is Niels Strøbek, who has previously done two paintings of HM and an obvious favorite of hers. He's usually very good; hopefully the new piece is better ' live'; we only see it from an odd angle here .....

BY the way: The colour of HM's dress doesn't do the artwork any favours...

viv

Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

That is one ugly painting!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post

The artist is Niels Strøbek, who has previously done two paintings of HM and an obvious favorite of hers. He's usually very good; hopefully the new piece is better ' live'; we only see it from an odd angle here .....

BY the way: The colour of HM's dress doesn't do the artwork any favours...

viv
In this link from UserDane's post there is no odd angle to excuse the painting: The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: New portrait of HM Queen Margarethe II unveiled
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Good grief!! Did they pay the artist for this?!?

I certainly hope so, artists need to be paid, even if the result is not quite the intention of the patron who commissioned the work! Presumably it was QMII who knew the artist's work and hired him/her to do the job. The representation is certainly life like, but more along the lines of good old fashioned 'cinema painting', I think. Very appropriate in this celebrity mad world, where queens, princes and duchesses are portrayed alongside fashion designers, movie stars and even presidents!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Queen Margaret begins the celebration of his forty years on the throne accompanied by a 'real helper' very special, his grandson Christian
La reina Margarita celebra en familia sus cuarenta años en el trono

Google Google Translate
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

All Over Press has put over 400 photos of queen Margrethe to the website due to the 40th Jubilee.
Daily Offers - FotoWeb 7.0
Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The live interview with QMII on TV2 has just ended. 45 minuttes and not one dull second!

The interviewer was Ulla Terkelsen, one of the best TV-journalists in DK and one of the very few correspondents I have a deep respect for.
She did not dissapoint.

Can you imagine an interview with a royal full of meaningful questions?
Can you imagine an interview with a royal full of interesting replies?
Can you imagine an interview with a royal that starts with an intelligent question and continue that way to the very end?
That's what happened.

In a way it was more like an auto biography because QMII was allowed to talk about meaningful, intelligent and significant subjects in a way so that we really got to know her and to genuine learn what she think about various subjects.
I think QMII enjoyed the interview too. She was challenged, she was spared trivial questions and we saw first hand how sharp her mind really is.

This was really good.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

That sounds really interesting Muhler, do you know whether there will be one with english or german subtitles?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
That sounds really interesting Muhler, do you know whether there will be one with english or german subtitles?
I doubt that. Unless some network wish to show it as a portrait of QMII, I doubt it will be shown outside Scandinavia.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
In this link from UserDane's post there is no odd angle to excuse the painting: The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: New portrait of HM Queen Margarethe II unveiled
Thanks Tilia C., you're right... I've run out of excuses for this particular painting!

viv
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Royal Highness

The live interview was quite funny, but having seen DR's documentary "Dronning Margrethe" last Sunday + Monday, I was disappointed to see a lot of the same questions being asked. On the other hand, it might be limited what kinda stuff Ulla Terkelsen was allowed to ask the Queen about.

The painting is rather ghastly, but I like the idea of Margrethe, Frederik and little Christian all in one painting.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

This artwork reminds me of bad wax figures. But I know Fredrik & Mary favor some pretty cutting edge contemporary artists, so maybe that could serve as an explaination?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Another gallery from PPE Agency - Visiting thee xhibition "Queen Margrethes Couture" at Amalienborg Museet in Copenhagen.

PPE Agency Couture

"Pure People" Le Prince Christian, 6 ans,doux invité du jubilé de sa mamie la Reine Margrethe

"Diez Minutos" Margarita de Dinamarca: El trono "es un deber de por vida"
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the artist captured Prince Christian very well, myself.

I'd have liked to have seen Margrethe wear the black tulle evening gown for an official portrait. It is quite theatrical and would maintain an impressive presence. It suited her very well, imo.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
This artwork reminds me of bad wax figures. But I know Fredrik & Mary favor some pretty cutting edge contemporary artists, so maybe that could serve as an explaination?
The painter, Niels Strøbæk, has painted the queen before (http://www.lisahoyrup.dk/jk/dronningemaleren-der-ikke-h%C3%B8rte-efter-i-timen/ - plus another one where she wears a pink/salmon coloured dress); it might have been the queen's wish to use Strøbæk's 'super realism' again.
As far as I remember, Strøbæk has also painted at least one of the portraits of politicians hanging at Christiansborg.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Courtier

http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/picture:3249...view:watermark
Cute photo of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary....I wonder what they were looking at or discussing!

http://4.t.cdn.belga.be/picture:3249...view:watermark
At least we now know that Crown Princess Mary isn't going to recycle her pre-wedding red dress since its in the same exhibition!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Terrible painting. I don't understand why Prince christian never wears a tie in formal events? I have never seen him wear a tie, at that age, bow-tie?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Courtier

I don't like the painting either...Crown Prince Frederik is far more handsome than how he is portrayed in that painting!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Margarita de Dinamarca: El trono "es un deber de por vida" - Otras monarquías - Familia Real - Revista de corazón, prensa rosa y famosos - Diez Minutos
"Queen Margaret, who spoke four languages​​: English, Danish, Swedish and French, was very cheerful and revealed one of her secrets: no cell phone and does not want any contact with new technologies"
I thought this is wire! she does not have a cell phone! in todays life it seems stange for soembody in this position to be in touch at least with her sons!....