The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #04, 2012.
Hemmelig nattefest for Margrethe - Secret nocturnal/night-party for Margrethe.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The Regent Couple was invited to a party by their closest friends at Hofteatret (The Court Theatre, located next to the stables at Christiansborg).
The organisers were Dorte and Nils Foss (they are pretty loaded) and present were 50 guests, including M&F.
The theatre is from 1766, so the guests had been instructed not to wear needle pointed stilettos, so as not to scratch the floor.

However, Prince Henrik was wearing his full and pretty colorful attire, right down to his shoes! - That man is an eccentric dresser.

Anyway, after the dinner it was time for dancing and entertainment. Prince Henrik sang a tender French lovesong to his wife and QMII responded with a ballad by Cæsar (*) called "Flade Jensen = Flat Jensen". Amusing everyone.
The former Foreign Minister Uffe Elleman sang an eskimo ballad, wielding a trifork in place of a harpoon.

The party ended sometime after midnight.

Mary was wearing a dark mink fur coat over a mocca-coloured dress. Her earrings were from Georg Jensen in 18 carats gold, with smoke-topazes (whatever that is). In her hand she had a clutch from Bottega Veneta.

(*) Danes are of course familiar with Cæsar with the song Storkespringvandet. He was mainly a protest singer around 1968 and he has also dealt with working class songs, of the kind they sang in the countless pubs and inns all over mainly Copenhagen. Let us say that even though the songs are about a 100 years or so, some of them are pretty explicit!
I can well imagine that QMII, and not least PH, with their fondness for the subtleties of the Danish language would appreciate these songs.
Muhler, thank you for this but as a non Dane, I want to appreciate these songs too, of course!Do please share as best you can for those of us who are Danish challenged!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Muhler, thank you for this but as a non Dane, I want to appreciate these songs too, of course!Do please share as best you can for those of us who are Danish challenged!
You are welcome.

Here is a list from YouTube of songs by Cæsar: cæsar - YouTube

"Storkespringvandet = The Fountain of Storks" is a fountain in Copenhagen, where youths with "Beatles-hair" gathered in the 60's, outragning passers-by and the police were more than happy to use their truncheons on those hoodlums!

The other songs are mainly more or less lewd songs from early 1900's, as they were sung in taverns and small pubs in workingclass neighborhoods.
"I Holmens gade, Røvens kælder = In the Navy street, in the basement of the Ass" - which is a reference to a pub with either an interesting nickname or the proprietor had an interesting nickname!
Potifar, forfra og bagfra - Potifar, back and forth" - Well, guess what that refers to.
The songs are pretty dirty! But elegantly performed and it's after all a part of the workingclass culture of the time.

In contrast to the song about pre-hippies being beaten up by the police in the early 60's we have these from the early 60's as well:
Four Jacks, a quartet of singers who were really great.
With all due respect to Johnny Horton, their interpretation of North to Alaska is better than the original.
Their interpretation of Mandalay is also the best I know of. And I can warmly recommend their version of Tom Dooley as well.
If you like them look for covers with four gentlemen in front, they are the best versions.
Thus concludes this leacture of Danish culture.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Courtier

As far as I know there's another gala event going on right now for Queen Margrethe's celebration. I tried going to dr.dk and tv2.dk, but don't know Danish so am having a hard time seeing if there's anything live. Does anyone else know?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik hosted a dinner for the Diplomatic Corps at Christiansborg this evening,
February 1st - on the occasion of Queen Margrethe's silver jubilee. Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess
Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte were present as well.

Here are the first pics:

** sn.dk gallery **

** ppe gallery ** ppe gallery 2 **

** dpp: Danish royals attend gala dinner for Diplomatic Corps ** lehtikuva.fi gallery **

** svenskdam.se gallery: Margrethe bjöd på ny galamiddag i Danmark **

** BB: Mary har travlt: Fra mode-event til kongelig galla ** translation **

** purepeople: Princesse Mary : Mannequin un jour, beauté de gala royal le lendemain **
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Thank You Iceflower for the wonderful links. Purepeople have some lovely closeup shots. You are a champion, Iceflower and I thank you for your time and trouble and to everyone else who contributes links.
cheers
Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Tarlita!

Today, February 7, Queen Margrethe participated in a parade of the armed forces at the Kastellet
in Copenhagen that was organized to mark the Queen's jubilee.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

I want that coat. I really do. I would probably never use it as I would fear getting it dirty, but I want it anyway.
IMO the Snow Queen look is the best HM has shown of in years. (though I am not fond of the shoes here)

And Muhler really - now I will be humming "Store stygge storkespringvand" in days.

I am glad this jubilee has been such a grand event. Makes me wonder just how big her Golden Jubilee will be in 10 years.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish girl View Post
I want that coat. I really do. I would probably never use it as I would fear getting it dirty, but I want it anyway.
IMO the Snow Queen look is the best HM has shown of in years. (though I am not fond of the shoes here)
Me neither, but I think she chose to do the safe thing here, due to the cold cold weather. I think the cobblestone are pretty slippery in this weather
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Me neither, but I think she chose to do the safe thing here, due to the cold cold weather. I think the cobblestone are pretty slippery in this weather
I don't mind the style as much as the color. It just doesn't fit with all that white.
Though I see she tries to make it work with the purse and gloves... Maybe if she had chosen a hat in the same color.

But anyway - I so respect anyone who dares have (almost) bare legs outside these days.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Today, February 7, Queen Margrethe participated in a parade of the armed forces at the Kastellet

The queen looks awesome in this white coat, very regal. ...but I don't like black booties.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

She Look wonderful , I Like The White Coat Very Much Thanx iceflower
Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish girl View Post
I don't mind the style as much as the color. It just doesn't fit with all that white.
Though I see she tries to make it work with the purse and gloves... Maybe if she had chosen a hat in the same color.

But anyway - I so respect anyone who dares have (almost) bare legs outside these days.
Me too
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

And we have a couple of Q&A in Billed Bladet #06, 2012.

Where first Kaja Nielsen (*) asks why only Nordic royals were invited to QMII's jubilee?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that the Nordic royal families were invited because of the very close ties between the families, but also to make room for more representatives from the entire realm, i.e. Greenland and the Faroese Islands - as well as Iceland, which has centuries of history in common with DK and also Finland, being a Nordic country.
Apart from that there should also be room for the entire staff (about 160) with spouses.
The other European monarchies are represented by their ambassadors, whom the DRF had a gala dinner with recently.

- Perhaps more monarchs will be invited if QMII is still around and has the strength in ten years time.

-----------------

Another question is about proticol and they are a particular favourite of mine.
Marianne Jäger wonderes why ladies are seen to both the left and right of their husbands when arriving at a gala. What is correct?

Jon Bloch Skipper, really don't care but quotes the authority on manners and proper behaviour, the late Emma Gad: "A gentleman should always offer a lady his right arm (**) in order to always keep her on the right hand side. On stairs you can change, when necessary, so that the lady can, as is proper, walk nearest to the wall". (***)

(*) I've noticed that name before. She appears to be a serial-asker/serial-questioner, whatever...

(**) I can add that a married gentleman always offer a precious person as his wife his right arm. - The left arm is for mistresses and concubines. A bit like being married to the left hand. Which some Danish kings were. Thus giving their mistress an official status. - But that has been covered elsewhere.
For officers it's simply a matter of what is practical. A lady on the left, will constantly by troubled by one's sabre.

(***) In order to shield her better from advances from men of ill repute. And to prevent the common riff raff from bumping into your lady.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Commoner

Dinner at Christiansborg on Jan 15

This video appeared on our news site today (Feb 17). (I live in Brisbane Australia). The title was "Princess Mary blocks cleavage stare".
"Princess Mary of Denmark was caught in an awkward moment during a televised state dinner when she apparently noticed the Finnish president’s husband staring at her cleavage.
Video shows First Gentleman Pentti Arajarvi gazing towards the Tasmanian-born princess’s chest during the lavish royal dinner, hosted by the Queen of Denmark on January 15.
The First Gentleman quickly looks away when he sees Princess Mary spot him.
The princess puts her hand over her chest and tries to adjust her dress, but still manages to keep a smile on her face.
Princess Mary married the Crown Prince of Denmark Frederik in 2004, after meeting him in a pub in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics.
Arajarvi's wife Tarja Halonen is Finland's president and the country's first female to hold office. "
I really hope this link works for you
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8421188/princess-mary-blocks-cleavage-stare
Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Royal Highness

It's possible that Pentii Arajarvi was studying CP Mary's necklace rather than her decolletage - I know I would if confronted with all those jewels!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's possible that Pentii Arajarvi was studying CP Mary's necklace rather than her decolletage - I know I would if confronted with all those jewels!
That is what I thought too. I don't think he was looking at her cleavage.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Uh oh, an awkward fashion moment indeed!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
That is what I thought too. I don't think he was looking at her cleavage.

IDK, if he WAS looking at the jewellery: 1. he certainly took his time to study the "jewels" from what it seemed on the video and 2. once he realised he saw her notice he could have commented on the chain to make it clear what he was looking at...

BUT he immediately looked away like a guilty little boy!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Courtier

what a horrid little man. Mary must have felt so embarrassed by his blatancy.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post

2. once he realised he saw her notice he could have commented on the chain to make it clear what he was looking at...
I think it was under a speech, so it would be difficult to say something