The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

new gallery and some articles from BB
Ilulissat - besøg i Grønland - Kongehuset

love them meeting the residents...and this is a beautiful photo
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/...i-gronland.img

Regentparret satte liv i plejehjem | billedbladet.dk
Regentparret var omtågede på Grønland | billedbladet.dk

Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Article with pictures from their visit to Qasigiannguit:
Se billeder: Regentparret i Qasigiannguit | Sermitsiaq.AG

After their visit to Qasigiannguit, they went on to visit Kitsissuarsuit.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

more galleries from DRF
Qasigiannguit - Besøg i Grønland - Kongehuset
Kitsissuarsuit - Besøg i Grønland - Kongehuset

so pretty

very warm greetings
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/...gronland-3.img

love this picture of the Queen
http://sermitsiaq.ag/sites/default/f...?itok=crJULOrZ

not sure if this has been posted but lovely pictures of the Queen at the elderly care center
http://sermitsiaq.ag/se-galleri-rege...aeldre-borgere
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Majesty

There is a very delightful pic of PH in BT: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...9/9847643-.jpg

The Regent Couple visited a living museum in Greenland. Where people live like Greenlanders did in local hamlets back in 1700-something when Greenland was recolonized by Denmark.
Needless to say QMII was completely absorbed! Asking question and no doubt having to be dragged away with grappling hooks or she would have stayed for days! Completely oblivious to the clouds of mosquitoes in the air.
But PH, whose interest in that topic is probably less than QMII's, stayed in the background and he noticed the mosquitoes! So he wrapped himself in mosquito netting.

Dog lovers (I being one) may like this pic of PH being kissed by snowflake: Prinsgemalen fik kærligt kys af grønlandsk hund | billedbladet.dk

During a stroll during the town of Sissimut PH spotted a sleigh dog and went up to the owner and the dog. The dog, named Aputsiaq = snowflake, put it's paws on the shoulders of PH and gave him a sloppy kiss.
PH appreciated the loving dog, while QMII kept a more prudent distance.

Normally, Greenlandic sleigh dogs don't kiss and it's very unwise to get too close but Aputsiaq had been taken in by it's owners shortly after birth. - The other cubs in the litter had been killed and eaten by the other sleigh dogs, so Aputsiaq is now a normal loving family pet.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
There is a very delightful pic of PH in BT: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...9/9847643-.jpg

The Regent Couple visited a living museum in Greenland. Where people live like Greenlanders did in local hamlets back in 1700-something when Greenland was recolonized by Denmark.
Needless to say QMII was completely absorbed! Asking question and no doubt having to be dragged away with grappling hooks or she would have stayed for days! Completely oblivious to the clouds of mosquitoes in the air.
But PH, whose interest in that topic is probably less than QMII's, stayed in the background and he noticed the mosquitoes! So he wrapped himself in mosquito netting.
best thing he could do! BTW I am now in Aarhus and am pleasantly surprised with lack of the flying scourges here!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Majesty

I see that Polyesco and Iceflower in particular has covered this visit very well.

So I though I'd focus on what QMII was up to when visiting the Sirius Patrol prior to the official visit.
She talks about that in an interview with BB's Trine Larsen.

She flew with an airforce Challenger (*) to the weather station, Station Nord before going to the Sirius base at Daneborg (**) in western Greenland. But once there it wasn't possible to land, so they had to fly to Reykavik in Iceland and stay there for the night.
"Well, I've just come aboard Danneborg, because I'm flying in from Thule (***). That is, I started by flying to Reykjavik (in Iceland) in order to fly to Station Nord in north eastern Greenland. And we did just that... we made it as far as Station Nord, but we couldn't touch down, so we returned and flew back to Reykjavik.
And then I stayed that night in a hotel in Reykjavik. The next day the trip went to Mestersvig (an outpost further south) with the Challenger and there I changed to another plane in order to go to Scoresbysund (small town).
In Scoresbysund I went around for a couple of hours and saw a commune for elderly and kindergarten with a lot of lovely kids. They had had three weeks with uninterrupted sunshine (24 hours a day), so all the children looked like little raccoons. They were all dark brown in the face and with a little white figure of eight around the eyes, because they had all been wearing sunglasses. They looked utterly wonderful.
But it was amusing to fly to Daneborg. We flew there with a Twin Otter to Daneborg which is the headquarters of the Sirius Patrol.
I have visited them several times before but this time I had the opportunity to stay the night, and that very convenient. And they are such nice chaps/lads/guys, the young people there. They are very busy this time of the year, because now they change teams. (****) That is, before they change they need to clear up after the winter and prepare for the next winter. But they hadn't gotten that far yet, because the ice hadn't retreated, up the sound past Daneborg yet, so things were reasonable calm and that was perhaps fortunate".

Q: Then perhaps you had greetings to take back home to the Crown Prince?
QMII: "You bet I did. There were a lot of greetings up there, there sure was".

Q: Were you driving on a dog sleigh?
QMII: "On gravel? - The snow is gone, there is gravel all around, but I did greet the doggies - that was three sort of half-grown puppies who ran around and who were pretty gorgeous".

(*) The Danish Challengers routinely fly to Greenland (and Canada) where they land a gravel strips. http://forsvaret.dk/atw/nytogpresse/...Challenger.jpg

(**) Actually she was supposed to land at the weather station, Station Nord, and then go by boat to Daneborg. But probably the weather didn't permit that so she touched down further south and flew up north.
This is Daneborg seen from the sound as it looks at this time of year: http://www.denstoredanske.dk/@api/de.../=35266619.jpg
There used to be a weather station there, but that is now located further south, Station Nord. At Station Nord (north) there is also a landing strip long enough for a Challenger to land.

(***) Thule is an American base in north eastern Greenland. It used to be a key NORAD Early Warning station.

(****) The patrols work in two-man teams for two years deployment. A seasoned man with a rookie as partner. The rookie will then the next year have a rookie as a new partner.

A Twin Otter: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Kangerlussuaq-airport-air-greenland-dhc6.jpg
- Notice the fence. Used to keep moscus oxen out.

Thule Air Base: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erial_view.jpg

The very isolated weather station, Station Nord: http://www.helimek.dk/nord1.jpg Population: six-eight.

The outpost of Mestersvig: http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwik...ig_airport.jpg

The town of Scoresbysund: http://www.profil-rejser.dk/~/media/...sigt.ashx?.jpg
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pictures from today's arrival in Sisimiut, the second-largest town in Greenland (Nuuk, last stop on their visit, is the largest city and the capital and Ilulissat, which they visited on the 15th, is the third-largest city):
Se billeder: Sisimiut charmerede regentparret | Sermitsiaq.AG

Their engagements today included: being greeted by kindergarten children who sang the national anthem, Nunarput Utoqqarsuanngoravit; a walk through the city where they stopped by he folk school, Knud Rasmussens Højskole (or in Greenlandic, Knud Rasmussenip Højskolia); a visit to a bike and skating track; an inspection of a local exercise path; a visit to the town's new youth centre; a visit to the skiing club's house which has been built by volunteers; visits to the schools KTI Tech College and ARTEK (the Arctic Technology Centre); another walk through the city; and finally, QMII and Henrik are right now hosting a reception aboard Dannebrog.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure I have ever seen such amazing photos of a royal visit - the clarity of the light and the colour of the flags and houses and all the smiling faces - it was the same with the Crown Prince couple's visit last year! Many thanks for all the pictures and links!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

A lot of flying for the Queen.
Its been a great visit so far
Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
best thing he could do! BTW I am now in Aarhus and am pleasantly surprised with lack of the flying scourges here!
Have you had a nice time here in DK so far?

I guess it's the cool summer. the temperature was 10 degrees lower when we got off the plane late Thursday.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen is sitting more and more even next to the balcony for Carl Philip's Wedding.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Have you had a nice time here in DK so far?

I guess it's the cool summer. the temperature was 10 degrees lower when we got off the plane late Thursday.
yes thanks, it is indeed cool so I shan't be using the swimsuit here. I visited Gamele By today and was very impressed by the gardens and thorough restorations.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pictures from the rest of yesterday's visits in Sisimiut:
Se billeder: Gåtur på Kærlighedsstien | Sermitsiaq.AG

They have had a well-deserved day off today before visiting Kangaamiut tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The Queen is sitting more and more even next to the balcony for Carl Philip's Wedding.
She's struggling a lot with painful osteoarthritis in her back and knees.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 AM
Majesty

Thanks, Archduchess.

Now, have you ever wondered how a Monarch looks like when presented with her absolute favorite topic, prehistory and living archeology?
Look no further than this BB video! If QMII smiles any more her head will split in two! dronning margrethe så levendgjort boplads | billedbladet

Even the mosquitoes didn't seem to bother her, that is, if she even noticed them at all.
Apart from being demonstrated how things were done in a Greenlandic hunter-gatherer society around anno 1730, she also tasted dried fish. That wasn't a problem, she's tasted that before. But she also tasted whale meat (perhaps blubber?) and okay, it had been smoked and that helped...

- Nice to hear Gerry. Hope you have found time to visit Moesgaard Museum as well.
It's interesting and somewhat unsettling methinks that my childhood is now so far back that typical homes and shops from back then are now part of a museum!
Pity about the summer weather, but at least you won't have a sunstroke...
Old 07-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks, Archduchess.

Now, have you ever wondered how a Monarch looks like when presented with her absolute favorite topic, prehistory and living archeology?
Look no further than this BB video! If QMII smiles any more her head will split in two! dronning margrethe så levendgjort boplads | billedbladet

Even the mosquitoes didn't seem to bother her, that is, if she even noticed them at all.
Apart from being demonstrated how things were done in a Greenlandic hunter-gatherer society around anno 1730, she also tasted dried fish. That wasn't a problem, she's tasted that before. But she also tasted whale meat (perhaps blubber?) and okay, it had been smoked and that helped...

- Nice to hear Gerry. Hope you have found time to visit Moesgaard Museum as well.
It's interesting and somewhat unsettling methinks that my childhood is now so far back that typical homes and shops from back then are now part of a museum!
Pity about the summer weather, but at least you won't have a sunstroke...
The smoke is also helpful in getting rid of flying tormentors aka mosquitoes, so that is why HM may have been leaning over the fire for a bit....
Moesgaard is on my list for Tuesday and I also did not visit the more recent part of den Gamle By, thinking why should I spend precious time visiting what I already know!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Officially, yesterday was one of QMII and Henrik's few days off. They did, however, find time to pay a visit to the patrol and support vessel Thetis, which these days act as a pilot boat for Dannebrog when sailing through the ice-filled waters in Greenland, and to thank its crew.

A (rough) translation of her speech to the crew: "The Prince Consort and I would like to thank the crew for having so much to get us well through the Greenlandic waters. I hope it too has been an experience for you. I know that you follow Dannebrog to the end of this trip – also after the Prince Consort and I have disembarked it. I hope that the further voyage will be great for you all." (It's always difficult to translate QMII's speeches – she has such an extraordinary vocabulary, it's hard to do her words justice.)

They spent yesterday in Evighedsfjorden (directly translated to English, the Everlasting Fjord) or in Greenlandic, the Kangerlussuatsiaq (which, in return, can be translated to "the rather large fjord" ), in Kangaamiut. The last picture in the article is Dannebrog entering the fjord – what a beautiful sight:

Se billeder: Dronningen takker besætningen på Thetis | Sermitsiaq.AG

Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

more galleries and videos on the DRF website
Kangaamiut - besøg i Grønland - Kongehuset

now this is just spectacular

another article
Billeder: Maskedans for regentparret i Kangaamiut | Sermitsiaq.AG
Old 07-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Majesty

A scenic video of Dannebrog sailing in a fjord somewhere. VIDEO: Kongeskibet Dannebrog set fra luften - Kongehuset

There isn't much ice left this summer, a lot of it has rained away, I understand.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Great landscapes , just spectacular as said before.
Sad that holidays there are terribly expensive.