Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik's Visit to Greenland: July 9-23, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik official visit to Greenland: July 9 - 23, 2015

The royal couple visiting Greenland

Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Prince Consort official visit to Greenland in the days 9th-23rd July 2015 by the Royal Yacht Dannebrog.

The cruise includes visits to the North and West Greenland.

The tour begins in Northern Greenland with a visit to Illoqqortoormiut, Station Nord and Thule Air Base as well as visits to settlements in Savissik. In West Greenland visit to the Upernavik, Ukkusissat, Qullissat, Saqqaq, Ilulissat, Qasigiannguit, Kitsissuarsuit, Sisimiut, Kangaamiut, Maniitsoq and Nuuk.​

Read more on www.kongehuset.dk where the program is updated regularly.​

Last edited:
the program is now up
Besøg i Grønland - Kongehuset

And it looks like the trip is now from the 8th of July to the 22nd.
"The royal couple will visit Greenland Royal Yacht from 8 to 22nd juli 2015.

The program includes visits to the North and West Greenland.

H. M. The queen starts visit to North Greenland with visit in Ittoqqortoormiit, Station Nord and Thule Air Base as well as visits to settlements in Savissivik. This part of the visit proceeds without Dannebrog.

In West Greenland shall Royal Couple Royal Yacht visiting Upernavik, Ukkusissat, Qullissat, Saqqaq, Ilulissat, Qasigiannguit, Kitsissuarsuit, Sisimiut, Kangaamiut, Maniitsoq and Nuuk.

Changes in the program may occur due to changing weather conditions."

Kongehuset.dk has now posted the officiel programme in Greenland:

Besøg i Grønland - Kongehuset

Some quite packed programme for the elder Margrethe and Henrik, but there are some rest days as well.

:previous:

Incredibly beautiful photos of the Dannebrog - somehow the amazing landscape and the design of the yacht go well together!

:previous:

Incredibly beautiful photos of the Dannebrog - somehow the amazing landscape and the design of the yacht go well together!

agree!
those are some beautiful pictures :flowers:

The Queen had one event today in Greenland, hopefully we get photos soon

In connection with the royal couple's summer in Greenland, were Queen Margrethe and the Premier Kim Kielsen, Wednesday inaugurated one of the world's northernmost and most well-equipped research stations - Villum Research Station - in Northeast Greenland.

But thick fog made it unfortunately impossible for them to land on Defence Station North in Northeast Greenland, where the new Arctic research station is located alongside defense buildings. It says Anders Correll communications and press officer in Aarhus.

The station was rather inaugurated by Chairman of Villum Foundation, Jens V. Kann Rasmussen.

Tåge umuliggjorde dronningens indvielse af forskningsstation | Sermitsiaq.AG

The Queen was today Thursday a nudge and a pillow in Ittoqqortoormiut performed in sealskin with her own monogram sewn. Idea, shape and design: Lone Milling-Rohleder Performed by: Randi Pike
http://sermitsiaq.ag/sites/default/...dia/gave-til-dronningen-web.jpg?itok=k2T3mJP6

First photos July 9th
http://sermitsiaq.ag/se-billeder-dronningen-lander-i-ittoqqortoormiit

Last edited:
Last edited:
Henrik sure knows how to make an entrance lol

Love the pictures of the Queen and the people.

I think that is very nice that every year a member of the Royal family visits the Greenland. I hope not wrong. However so far beautiful photos.

Like paintings. So beautiful.

There is a very delightful pic of PH in BT: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/847/9/9847643-.jpg

The Regent Couple visited a living museum in Greenland. Where people live like Greenlanders did in local hamlets back in 1700-something when Greenland was recolonized by Denmark.
Needless to say QMII was completely absorbed! Asking question and no doubt having to be dragged away with grappling hooks or she would have stayed for days! Completely oblivious to the clouds of mosquitoes in the air.
But PH, whose interest in that topic is probably less than QMII's, stayed in the background and he noticed the mosquitoes! So he wrapped himself in mosquito netting.

Dog lovers (I being one) may like this pic of PH being kissed by snowflake: Prinsgemalen fik kærligt kys af grønlandsk hund | billedbladet.dk

During a stroll during the town of Sissimut PH spotted a sleigh dog and went up to the owner and the dog. The dog, named Aputsiaq = snowflake, put it's paws on the shoulders of PH and gave him a sloppy kiss.
PH appreciated the loving dog, while QMII kept a more prudent distance.

Normally, Greenlandic sleigh dogs don't kiss and it's very unwise to get too close but Aputsiaq had been taken in by it's owners shortly after birth. - The other cubs in the litter had been killed and eaten by the other sleigh dogs, so Aputsiaq is now a normal loving family pet.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very delightful pic of PH in BT: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/847/9/9847643-.jpg

The Regent Couple visited a living museum in Greenland. Where people live like Greenlanders did in local hamlets back in 1700-something when Greenland was recolonized by Denmark.
Needless to say QMII was completely absorbed! Asking question and no doubt having to be dragged away with grappling hooks or she would have stayed for days! Completely oblivious to the clouds of mosquitoes in the air.
But PH, whose interest in that topic is probably less than QMII's, stayed in the background and he noticed the mosquitoes! So he wrapped himself in mosquito netting.

best thing he could do! :lol: BTW I am now in Aarhus and am pleasantly surprised with lack of the flying scourges here!:flowers:

I see that Polyesco and Iceflower in particular has covered this visit very well. :flowers::flowers:

So I though I'd focus on what QMII was up to when visiting the Sirius Patrol prior to the official visit.
She talks about that in an interview with BB's Trine Larsen.

She flew with an airforce Challenger (*) to the weather station, Station Nord before going to the Sirius base at Daneborg (**) in western Greenland. But once there it wasn't possible to land, so they had to fly to Reykavik in Iceland and stay there for the night.
"Well, I've just come aboard Danneborg, because I'm flying in from Thule (***). That is, I started by flying to Reykjavik (in Iceland) in order to fly to Station Nord in north eastern Greenland. And we did just that... we made it as far as Station Nord, but we couldn't touch down, so we returned and flew back to Reykjavik.
And then I stayed that night in a hotel in Reykjavik. The next day the trip went to Mestersvig (an outpost further south) with the Challenger and there I changed to another plane in order to go to Scoresbysund (small town).
In Scoresbysund I went around for a couple of hours and saw a commune for elderly and kindergarten with a lot of lovely kids. They had had three weeks with uninterrupted sunshine (24 hours a day), so all the children looked like little raccoons. They were all dark brown in the face and with a little white figure of eight around the eyes, because they had all been wearing sunglasses. They looked utterly wonderful.
But it was amusing to fly to Daneborg. We flew there with a Twin Otter to Daneborg which is the headquarters of the Sirius Patrol.
I have visited them several times before but this time I had the opportunity to stay the night, and that very convenient. And they are such nice chaps/lads/guys, the young people there. They are very busy this time of the year, because now they change teams. (****) That is, before they change they need to clear up after the winter and prepare for the next winter. But they hadn't gotten that far yet, because the ice hadn't retreated, up the sound past Daneborg yet, so things were reasonable calm and that was perhaps fortunate".

Q: Then perhaps you had greetings to take back home to the Crown Prince?
QMII: "You bet I did. There were a lot of greetings up there, there sure was".

Q: Were you driving on a dog sleigh?
QMII: "On gravel? - The snow is gone, there is gravel all around, but I did greet the doggies - that was three sort of half-grown puppies who ran around and who were pretty gorgeous".

(*) The Danish Challengers routinely fly to Greenland (and Canada) where they land a gravel strips. http://forsvaret.dk/atw/nytogpresse/PublishingImages/Havmilj%C3%B8%20Challenger.jpg

(**) Actually she was supposed to land at the weather station, Station Nord, and then go by boat to Daneborg. But probably the weather didn't permit that so she touched down further south and flew up north.
This is Daneborg seen from the sound as it looks at this time of year: http://www.denstoredanske.dk/@api/deki/files/6164/=35266619.jpg
There used to be a weather station there, but that is now located further south, Station Nord. At Station Nord (north) there is also a landing strip long enough for a Challenger to land.

(***) Thule is an American base in north eastern Greenland. It used to be a key NORAD Early Warning station.

(****) The patrols work in two-man teams for two years deployment. A seasoned man with a rookie as partner. The rookie will then the next year have a rookie as a new partner.

A Twin Otter: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Kangerlussuaq-airport-air-greenland-dhc6.jpg
- Notice the fence. Used to keep moscus oxen out.

Thule Air Base: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Thule_Air_Base_aerial_view.jpg

The very isolated weather station, Station Nord: http://www.helimek.dk/nord1.jpg Population: six-eight.

The outpost of Mestersvig: http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/77/Mestersvig_airport.jpg

The town of Scoresbysund: http://www.profil-rejser.dk/~/media...d/Oestgroenland/Scoresbysund-udsigt.ashx?.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures from today's arrival in Sisimiut, the second-largest town in Greenland (Nuuk, last stop on their visit, is the largest city and the capital and Ilulissat, which they visited on the 15th, is the third-largest city):
Se billeder: Sisimiut charmerede regentparret | Sermitsiaq.AG

Their engagements today included: being greeted by kindergarten children who sang the national anthem, Nunarput Utoqqarsuanngoravit; a walk through the city where they stopped by he folk school, Knud Rasmussens Højskole (or in Greenlandic, Knud Rasmussenip Højskolia); a visit to a bike and skating track; an inspection of a local exercise path; a visit to the town's new youth centre; a visit to the skiing club's house which has been built by volunteers; visits to the schools KTI Tech College and ARTEK (the Arctic Technology Centre); another walk through the city; and finally, QMII and Henrik are right now hosting a reception aboard Dannebrog.

Last edited:
I am not sure I have ever seen such amazing photos of a royal visit - the clarity of the light and the colour of the flags and houses and all the smiling faces - it was the same with the Crown Prince couple's visit last year! Many thanks for all the pictures and links!

A lot of flying for the Queen.
Its been a great visit so far

Back
Top Bottom