Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 6: July 2017 - February 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you really, Muhler? Can you tell where I can find it?
Thanks a lot.

I very much doubt, that Princess Elisabeth, 82 years old, who, AFAIK, has never been rigsforstander, would suddenly be used as one.

BTW, I can't remember Princess Benedikte or Prince Joachim, although being rigsforstander from time to time, ever having held a public audience.

We were talking about the situation if both Joachim and Benedikte wouldn't be in Denmark and Margrethe wouldn't be able to return to Denmark (and Frederik on his way to Australia), so all obvious options were out of the question. It was suggested that Nikolai was the only remaining option in that case, which he is not; I wouldn't say he would be more likely than Elisabeth... both are very unlikely but could be called upon if absolutely necessary.

Did you really, Muhler? Can you tell where I can find it?
Thanks a lot.

In this sub-forum or in the DRF Christmas tread somewhere. It may require a good deal of digging though! :ermm:
I suggest you browse through my posts for December for 2016, 15, 14 and so on until you find it.
A keyword search is too broad for the search engine here on TRF.

We were talking about the situation if both Joachim and Benedikte wouldn't be in Denmark and Margrethe wouldn't be able to return to Denmark (and Frederik on his way to Australia), so all obvious options were out of the question. It was suggested that Nikolai was the only remaining option in that case, which he is not; I wouldn't say he would be more likely than Elisabeth... both are very unlikely but could be called upon if absolutely necessary.

True.

But as Nordic pointed out Elisabeth is pretty frail and 82 years old - and Nikolai stands before her in the Line of Succession. He would merely have to sign a pledge to obey the Constitution first, before signing the paper where he takes over as Rigsforstander.
And it would only be for perhaps half a day.

Agreed. Both are options was the only point I was trying to make.

The advantage of picking Elisabeth over Nikolai might be that it creates less of a precedent (nobody would expect her to take on this role more often - in Nikolai's case it might go against the position/role in life that is expected of him, which most likely is NOT to be an active member of the DRF).

The fact that Nikolai is ahead of Elisabeth in the line of succession would however suggest that Nikolai would be the more likely choice in this unlikely event.

I know. ?

But it's an interesting thought experiment. And Nikolai might have no option but to step in.
Do you remember the Icelandic volcano that spewed ashes all over the place a few years back? Seriously disrupting the air traffic.

So instead of snow we have ashes.
It might be considered too risky trying to get QMII back by military transport, she would sail instead.
M&F have just touched down in Australia.
J&M are somewhere in southern France (we pretend) and Benedikte are at Berleburg.

And with a serious government crisis back in DK, as we have right now, the government can't resign or reshuffle without someone at the helm. (Yes, one of the government parties could be silly enough to pull out regardless of whether there is a Rigsforstander or not!) That means we have a Constitutional limbo on our hands. So someone has to be there to at least formally approve the resignations, so that a business ministry can formally be set up.
In the meantime Joachim or Benedikte are racing back towards DK, through congested highways, since the air-traffic is semi-paralyzed.

So who will be handling that scenario? Elisabeth who is old and seemingly very frail, but who from her service in the Foreign Ministry knows what is expected from her
Or a totally inexperienced but healthy and by all accounts a very bright Nikolai.
One of them will have to hold the fort for up to 48 hours perhaps.

OMG, you mean there is really no one in charge right now in the royal family in Denmark....all because of weather.......is the gov having a panic attack or what? I sure would, are you Muhler worried? I kept watching to see if Queen Margrethe was back and did not see any news about her return so I thought maybe she got in some how.:eek:

So no one is in charge in Denmark right now? I'll let the swedish royals know about this - we might invade when you least expect it! :-D

In this day and age though, even with Margrethe snowed in and staying warm drinking tea with her buddy, Queen Elizabeth, its very possible that Queen Daisy could still very much be there in Denmark in her official capacity through a newfangled way. Skype and teleconferencing. Would that be an option?

I leave it to the Danish posters here to post/translate articles, but QMII is according to BILLED-BLADET back in DK.

Last edited:
OMG, you mean there is really no one in charge right now in the royal family in Denmark....all because of weather.......is the gov having a panic attack or what? I sure would, are you Muhler worried? I kept watching to see if Queen Margrethe was back and did not see any news about her return so I thought maybe she got in some how.:eek:

Don't worry. I think Joachim is around somewhere. It is just a what if scenario.

So no one is in charge in Denmark right now? I'll let the swedish royals know about this - we might invade when you least expect it! :-D

:D And we've made it easier now that there is a bridge. No need to walk across the ice this time.

In this day and age though, even with Margrethe snowed in and staying warm drinking tea with her buddy, Queen Elizabeth, its very possible that Queen Daisy could still very much be there in Denmark in her official capacity through a newfangled way. Skype and teleconferencing. Would that be an option?

I don't think so.
Someone has to be there and physically sign papers and meet and confer with the politicians, not least the PM.
- There is actually a good chance QMII may cut short her stay at Marselisborg during Christmas because the political situation is interesting!

I leave it to the Danish posters here to post/translate articles, but QMII is acording to BILLED-BLADET back in DK.

Correct.
Strandede i London: Nu er dronning Margrethe hjemme igen | BILLED-BLADET
She made it back Monday afternoon.
So now that mother is back, we can all breathe a sigh of relief, while the politicians entertain us... - You probably wouldn't believe it, if I told you!

I love your phrase 'now that mother is back' - these boards just wouldn't be the same without your dry sense of humour.

Muhler, my sister sent me an email telling me Queen Daisy was back and had to come and say Thank Goodness for all is well now in Denmark.......what a relief it is to know that *mother* is safe at home........I know I know for I have been told I am not Danish yet there is a drop of blood in there that says I am ......so this crisis going on is about what...must be very interesting and entertaining and news worthy...? ?

Don't worry. I think Joachim is around somewhere. It is just a what if scenario.

:D And we've made it easier now that there is a bridge. No need to walk across the ice this time.

I don't think so.
Someone has to be there and physically sign papers and meet and confer with the politicians, not least the PM.
- There is actually a good chance QMII may cut short her stay at Marselisborg during Christmas because the political situation is interesting!

Correct.
Strandede i London: Nu er dronning Margrethe hjemme igen | BILLED-BLADET
She made it back Monday afternoon.
So now that mother is back, we can all breathe a sigh of relief, while the politicians entertain us... - You probably wouldn't believe it, if I told you!

Muhler! Please tell:flowers: In the middle of Christmas preparations (cheery music hides the bad tempers from spending too much money!):bang: we need entertainment:lol:

I know. ?

But it's an interesting thought experiment. And Nikolai might have no option but to step in.
Do you remember the Icelandic volcano that spewed ashes all over the place a few years back? Seriously disrupting the air traffic.

So instead of snow we have ashes.
It might be considered too risky trying to get QMII back by military transport, she would sail instead.
M&F have just touched down in Australia.
J&M are somewhere in southern France (we pretend) and Benedikte are at Berleburg.

And with a serious government crisis back in DK, as we have right now, the government can't resign or reshuffle without someone at the helm. (Yes, one of the government parties could be silly enough to pull out regardless of whether there is a Rigsforstander or not!) That means we have a Constitutional limbo on our hands. So someone has to be there to at least formally approve the resignations, so that a business ministry can formally be set up.
In the meantime Joachim or Benedikte are racing back towards DK, through congested highways, since the air-traffic is semi-paralyzed.

So who will be handling that scenario? Elisabeth who is old and seemingly very frail, but who from her service in the Foreign Ministry knows what is expected from her
Or a totally inexperienced but healthy and by all accounts a very bright Nikolai.
One of them will have to hold the fort for up to 48 hours perhaps.
Exactly, I love these thought experiments!

It seems that the current understanding is that within each 24h day the sovereign, monarch or rigsforstander needs to be present in Denmark, there are previous examples where these periods didn't completely overlap; so in the end no rigsforstander was required as Frederik was regent on Sunday (although leaving during the day) and Margrethe returned on Monday (just a little later than expected).

I don't think so.

Interestingly, this is unique to Denmark (as far as I know). Other monarchies don't require the monarch or a representative to be in the country. They either send correspondence abroad or sign electronically (and later a paper copy).

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, I love these thought experiments!

It seems that the current understanding is that within each 24h day the sovereign, monarch or rigsforstander needs to be present in Denmark, there are previous examples where these periods didn't completely overlap; so in the end no rigsforstander was required as Frederik was regent on Sunday (although leaving during the day) and Margrethe returned on Monday (just a little later than expected).

Me too. ?

And yes, something like that.
The Constitution says that the Regent automatically steps in or that a Rigsforstander has to be appointed if the Monarch leaves Danish territory. - Dannebrog for example is Danish territory but as a floating embassy, so going to the Danish embassy in London doesn't quite work.
But there is an unwritten rule that if the Monarch returns the same day it is not necessary to appoint a Rigsforstander.
I guess that also works overnight.

--------------

I've posted more about the current government crisits in DK in the audience thread.
Thus proving that we in DK surely must win the "The Most Silly Politicians Award 2017"

Interestingly, this is unique to Denmark (as far as I know). Other monarchies don't require the monarch or a representative to be in the country. They either send correspondence abroad or sign electronically (and later a paper copy).

British RF has Counsellors of State. The queen delegates to them certain state functions when not in the United Kingdom or unavailable for other reasons.

Last edited:
British RF has Counsellors of State. The queen delegates to them certain state functions when not in the United Kingdom or unavailable for other reasons.

Thanks for the reminder. Is the requirement that at all times either the queen or two of her state counselors (if I remember correctly) have to be in the country? And are they officially appointed (out of those instated as CofSs) each time the queen leaves the UK (or Commonwealth)?

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #01, 2018.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who spend New Years Eve outside a house in an affluent neighborhood north of Copenhagen.
After having finished her New Year speech at 18.15 QMII changed and she and PH went to Susanne Heering's home, where they joined a number of friends for the New Year celebration.
As always the guests dress up. The theme this year was The Nutcracker.
QMII dressed up as Columbine and PH as Harlquin (I think it's spelled in English). Susanne Heering dressed up as the Sugar Fairy.
The guests consisted of a number of very close friend of the Regent Couple, perhaps in particular of QMII

Susanne Heering. (Childhood friend of QMII).
Keld and Birgitta Hillingsø. (Former Defense Chief).
Birthe and Jesper Bruun Rasmussen. (He owns a renowned auction company).
Joen Bille with wife, Bente Scavenius.
Bent Fabricius-Bjerre and wife, Camille Arndt.

In fact PH arrived before QMII, which to me suggests he does not live at Amalienborg. (Fredensborg seems plausible IMO. A bit out of the way and he can walk around the garden more undisturbed as well as there are corridors he can exercise in. I also guess it's easier to set up a private ward at Fredensborg).
Upon arrival he was met at the car by Susanne Heering and he exclaimed: "You (informal) are so beautiful". Susanne Heering responded: "So are you".
Then he and Susanne Heering posed for the photographers. And a moment later QMII arrived. QMII presented Susanne Heering with a present. Susanne Heering said: "Oh, how neat you look".

- You can see the photos from the party in the New Year Court thread, when I get around to scan the mag.

Glad to seen that PH is still up and about.

Saw pictures in other forums. The Queen Looks lovely , the Prince lost weight and wore slippers with his Crown.

PLF is one of my favourite writers: to be a fly on the wall at that symposium! I hope the papers presented will be published!:flowers:

Fabulous biography of him by Artemis Cooper - a must read for anyone interested in adventure and travel.

Me too. ?

And yes, something like that.
The Constitution says that the Regent automatically steps in or that a Rigsforstander has to be appointed if the Monarch leaves Danish territory. - Dannebrog for example is Danish territory but as a floating embassy, so going to the Danish embassy in London doesn't quite work.
But there is an unwritten rule that if the Monarch returns the same day it is not necessary to appoint a Rigsforstander.
I guess that also works overnight.

Thanks, Muhler !

Some time ago, I was actually making a compilation of different regency rules used in various moanrchies and looked that up in the Danish constitution. To my surprise though, the Constitution Act itself didn't contain any rules, but rather said that:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Provisions relating to the exercising of sovereign power in the event of the minority, illness, or absence of the King shall be laid down by Statute

I then tried to locate the above-mentioned Statute, but couldn't find it anywhere on the web. Do you know where I can find that information ?
[/FONT]

Thanks, Muhler !

Some time ago, I was actually making a compilation of different regency rules used in various moanrchies and looked that up in the Danish constitution. To my surprise though, the Constitution Act itself didn't contain any rules, but rather said that:

I then tried to locate the above-mentioned Statute, but couldn't find it anywhere on the web. Do you know where I can find that information ?
[/FONT]

Right here.
But it's written in archaic Danish though:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms/R0710.aspx?id=45894

And summarized very briefly and simplified:
§1 - In case the Monarch is absent (sick, insane, away from the country or disappeared, held captive and so on) the Heir takes over as Regent.
If the Heir is a minor, or also absent or otherwise unable to take over, the State Council will immediately call a session in the Parliament in order to appoint a Rigsforstander.
The Parliament will also be called in to determine whether the Heir should take over as Regent on a more permanent basis.

§2 - If there is a risk of the Monarch dying before the Heir comes of age, the Monarch will together with the Parliament appoint a Rigsforstander, who will act on behalf of the Heir until he/she comes of age.

§3 - The same thing applies if the Heir dies while still being a minor, but while a Rigsforstander is appointed. The the oldest child of the Heir will become King. (Monarch).
(The old system with the king is dead, long live the king still applies. The Heir automatically becomes king, but cannot rule until he/she is an adult.)

§4 - If the Heir is abroad when the Monarch dies, the Parliament will state a certain time period within which the Heir must return and at the same time decide whether a Rigsforstander is to be appointed.
(Beforehand it could take weeks even months to return to DK. Nowadays Frederik can be back in DK within 24 hours. If not the Parliament will simply appoint Joachim as Rigsforstander until Frederik returns.)

§5 - The Rigsforstander must be a Prince in line to the throne or an adult man, who belongs to the Lutheran church and is a Danish citizen.
(Today a Rigsforstander can be a woman.)

§6 - No one can act as Rigsforstander until he/she adheres to the §7 in the Constitution. - That means signing a pledge to obey the Constitution.

§7 - Constitutionally speaking a Rigsforstander acts as the monarch in anything but name and also enjoys the same immunity as the monarch. The ministers are responsible for the country being run by a government.

§8 - If the Rigsforstander cannot, is unable to, will not act or steps down, the Parliament will immediately appoint a new Rigsforstander.

§9 - In case there is no Rigsforstander in place or in periods where the Rigsforstander no longer functions, the State Council will temporary acts on behalf of a Rigsforstander until a new one is appointed.
(Denmark must never be without a head of state or someone acting on behalf of the head of state - not even for a minute. Because constitutionally speaking all authority is enacted on behalf of the Monarch or on behalf of the Regent or Rigsforstander who acts on behalf of the King. That includes the government who govern on behalf of the Monarch. No Monarch, no government. That's why there is always the Regent or Rigsforstander in place when QMII is abroad for more than a day - and it gets interesting when her plane is grounded due to bad weather as we experienced recently.)

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #05, 2018.
Written by Dorte Quist.

When QMII and Queen Anne-Marie recently spend no less than four hours at a symposium about the author, Patrick Leigh Fermor at Copenhagen University, it was actually a part of an official visit by Queen Anne-Marie.
A rare official visit.

The reason was no doubt, believes Dorte Quist, that Patrick Leigh Fermor on Crete, during WWII, helping building up a resistance movement there. (On behalf of SOE?)
But for QMII the interest for this author perhaps is more due to his excellent travel accounts.

Upon arriving at Copenhagen University both Queens receive bouquets in the national colors.
It was Trine Stauning Willert who had arranged the conference, because Copenhagen University is setting up a Greek Institute, equivalent to a Danish Institute in Athens.
She said about the event: "We are very delighted for the interests of the Queens.
There is an enormous upsurge in Greek culture these years. Literature, theater, art. It's bubbling despite the times. (Greece is still in a deep crisis after the financial collapse.) The intention is that The Green Institute in Denmark will show that Greece has a lot of culture to offer - as well as being a forum for dialogue and mutual exchange of view-points".

The British author, Artemis Cooper, who has written an extensive biography about Patrick Leigh Fermor, was giving the lecture and she had a good and long talk with the Queens afterwards. - And it seems she presented QMII with the biography she has written.

Afterwards Queen Anne-Marie said: "It was absolutely a very exciting lecture".

-------

I find it interesting that this labelled as an official visit by Queen Anne-Marie.
Was she acting on behalf of the GRF? Or Greece? Has the GRF begun to promote Greek interests in recent years?
They may not be reinstated as a royal ambassadors, but will they instead be a kind of goodwill ambassadors?

Anyway, see for yourselves here: BB #05, 2018
Billed Bladet this week has a pretty good coverage of general royal events, not least the BRF and the Spanish RF, but it's pretty meager when it comes to the DRF.
I almost considered including all the other royal articles in the scans, because the DRF stuff is so thin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom