Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 6: July 2017 - February 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a nice feel-good story?

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2017
Written by our man behind the scenes, Ulrik Ulriksen.

Recently PH went to the Royal Theater, a couple of minutes drive from Amalienborg. Here he went with his nephew, Charles Henrik-Keller (who is married to a Dane IIRC) to see a ballet.
QMII is a frequent guest at the Royal Theater and it's customary for the audience to stand up in respect when the DRF enter the royal box. QMII acknowledge the respect and everybody sits down.
This time however people started to applaud PH, a standing applause, which visibly delighted PH.

After the intermission, the audience returned to their seats, that also included PH who got yet another standing applause.

A lovely story indeed. I was wondering how PH was doing.

Congratulations to Prince Henrik french nephew to take care of his Uncle !

Yesterday afternoon, November 12, Queen Margrethe attended a mass celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Danish Seamen's Church and Church Abroad at Holmen Church in Copenhagen:

** kongehuset.dk fb gallery **

Last edited:
Last edited:
They've just said on the news that QMII is stranded in London, as her plane can't take off right now due to heavy snow in Britain.

I don't know whether there is more snow coming in London, but I imagine she will return to DK late tonight instead.

- However, if the weather should continue to be bad and QMII will have to shovel her way out to the plane, after ironing the ice off the wings of course, it will be interesting to see whether Joachim is suddenly Rigsforstander, because that means M&F have left tomorrow for Australia.

And that is perhaps not that far out, because the snow may have stopped in Britain, but we are getting a lot of snow tonight here in DK, so QMII may have a problem landing in Copenhagen and a such she may have to stay for one more night in London. - I have a picture of her in my mind, ringing the bell at the gate outside Buckingham Palace, suitcases in hand and asking for a place to crash for the night.

I have a picture of her in my mind, ringing the bell at the gate outside Buckingham Palace, suitcases in hand and asking for a place to crash for the night.

"Hello, It's Daisy. Any spare suite?"

:D
In royal circles living on the streets is called: Being palaceless.

Hope QM gets home ok. Noticed that on the Royal website it said they had cancelled the audiences today so I'm wondering why Frederik couldn't stand in for her as he has done them before.
In my neck of the woods in the UK we don't usually get that much snow (Leicestershire is a damp little hollow :lol:) but even we got lots of snow yesterday. This is a picture of my village church early yesterday morning (and we had lots more snow after it was taken). We were a hardy few at the church service yesterday :flowers:
church_snow.jpg

Hope QM gets home ok. Noticed that on the Royal website it said they had cancelled the audiences today so I'm wondering why Frederik couldn't stand in for her as he has done them before.

I assume he was not in the country to do that. According to Australian press, F&M are expected in Sydney tomorrow (my time - today Sydney time).

I think Queen M was supposed to return to Denmark yesterday. The official calendar has the residence changed to Amalienborg yesterday.

Last edited:
:previous:
Oh that is such a beautiful church that you go to Librarian Daisy, and so majestic looking in the snow. Seems London, Dublin and Denmark are getting lots of snow and it is making things look so pretty in my eyes. Besides snow gives our earth lots of water so the flowers grow in the spring is just my way of looking at snow, kinda silly I know but true.

I read in our newspaper here how last winter the city saved millions because we had little to no snow for the city did not used the sand nor all the workers out in trucks, then the next day, the city gave a tax increase, so wondering where all those millions went that got saved and why new taxes........think I need to leave this city someday soon........something is not adding up here as usual.

I thought Frederik and Mary were on their way to down under for the holiday now.....are they stranded by the weather also?

My weather here, cold which is fine, yet no snow.........and none expected!

I assume he was not in the country to do that. According to Australian press, F&M are expected in Sydney tomorrow (my time - today Sydney time).

I think Queen M was supposed to return to Denmark yesterday. The official calendar has the residence changed to Amalienborg yesterday.

Aah, that explains it - I was getting my dates muddled up as I thought Frederik was regent until 10th and of course I forget the time difference with Australia and how long it takes to get there. Thanks, Nordic (all this snow has gone to my head - I'm just not used to it, :lol:)

More here from BB. Dronning Margrethe fanget af uvejr i England | BILLED-BLADET

M&F have left for Australia.

QMII was supposed to have London at 10.00 this forenoon, but that wasn't possible. She's expected back later today.

So unless the weather remains bad in London she should be back in DK before the snow falls in DK.
That also means that a Rigsforstander does not need to be appointed, as DK is only without a regent in country, for a few hours.
However, if she can't return today Joachim may have to step in.

Beautiful photo, LibrarianDaisy. ?

-----------------

Quite a lot of snow in Britain!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5166451/Now-BLACK-MONDAY-Melted-snow-turns-deadly-ice.html

Last edited:
Aah, that explains it - I was getting my dates muddled up as I thought Frederik was regent until 10th and of course I forget the time difference with Australia and how long it takes to get there. Thanks, Nordic (all this snow has gone to my head - I'm just not used to it, :lol:)
Frederik was regent until the 10th and probably left for Australia some time yesterday if they are expected to arrive in Sydney today (Australian time). I guess Joachim or Benedikte had to step in after he left and QM couldn't make it home in time.

We have 50cm of snow and much more to come tomorrow. ;)

Does anyone know why QMII was in London? Was it official business, or maybe a pre-Christmas visit to friends, family or the shops?!
When travelling between Denmark and the UK does she use a private aircraft, or scheduled?

I would imagine she is using a regular flight.
No need to use a military Challenger for a private visit.

QMII has been shopping Christmas presents in London as she usually do at this time of year. That includes dropping by for a cup of tea with QEII and also visiting the regiment for which she is honorary colonel. (I can never remember it's new name! The Princess of Wales something Regiment.)

:previous:
Oh that is such a beautiful church that you go to Librarian Daisy, and so majestic looking in the snow.

I know this is off topic but my family have worshipped here since the 18th century so I'm rather fond of it. There's been a church on the site since Saxon times and was part of the Saxon kingdom of Mercia which became Christian in the 7th century. We had a bit of a tussle with the Danes in the 9th century but never became part of Danelaw. I don't think this is why I'm so fond of the present Danish monarch :whistling:

More here from BB. Dronning Margrethe fanget af uvejr i England | BILLED-BLADET

M&F have left for Australia.

QMII was supposed to have London at 10.00 this forenoon, but that wasn't possible. She's expected back later today.

So unless the weather remains bad in London she should be back in DK before the snow falls in DK.
That also means that a Rigsforstander does not need to be appointed, as DK is only without a regent in country, for a few hours.
However, if she can't return today Joachim may have to step in.

Beautiful photo, LibrarianDaisy. ?

-----------------

Hope the Queen makes it back soon.
Since Frederik is on his way to Australia, could Joachim have held the audiences?
or a Rigsforstanderher would not hold the audiences?

Does that mean no Royal from Denmark to King Michel of Romania's Funerals?

Hope the Queen makes it back soon.
Since Frederik is on his way to Australia, could Joachim have held the audiences?
or a Rigsforstanderher would not hold the audiences?

A Rigsforstander can have audiences, that's part of the job.
As I see it right now, M&F left for Australia this morning or perhaps late yesterday evening. (This morning seems more likely due to the children and on two separate flights, so perhaps Mary left yesterday?).
QMII was initially expected to take an early morning flight back to Copenhagen. Giving her time to change her clothes before the audience at 10.00.
However, we learned that QMII was supposed to have flown from London at 10.00 - so already then the audience must have been cancelled.

Unless QMII has arrived in DK by now, it may be too late, because heavy snowfall is expected over Copenhagen in less than three hours, which means any flight to Copenhagen may be diverted or cancelled.
It's the same weather-front as the one over London earlier, that will reach us.
As it is DK has been without a regent for almost a whole day now and that's about as much as can be accepted before a Rigsforstander has to be appointed.
- But what if Joachim isn't in DK either? And nor is Benedikte? Germany is getting even more snow, so she can't get from Berleburg to DK in just a few hours. Then there is only Nikolai left...
Of course it's not a critical thing. I think DK can survive without a regent for 36 hours if need be. But you never know; perhaps the Swedes will attack? They've used bad weather conditions before to launch an attack. (And that is basically the purpose of the whole thing with someone from the DRF having to be in charge at all times - just in case.)

Does that mean no Royal from Denmark to King Michel of Romania's Funerals?

I must confess I haven't followed that thread, so I don't even know whether any members of the DRF are expected to attend. I haven't heard anything so far though.
The most natural thing would be for either QMII or Frederik to represent Denmark on such an occasion. Frederik could of course go to the funeral before flying on to Australia. - Or Joachim could take over.

Do any of you know where does QMII stays when in London in december? Does she really stays at Buckingham Palace, or does she stays at a hotel? any guesses?

At hotels.
I remember summarizing an article about just that a year or two ago.

Can't remember the name of the hotel but it's one of the more discreet hotels, rather than one of the more famous, where those who think they are something stay.

Princess Elisabeth is most likely in the country as well and could be rigsforstander if really needed.

Princess Elisabeth is most likely in the country as well and could be rigsforstander if really needed.

I very much doubt, that Princess Elisabeth, 82 years old, who, AFAIK, has never been rigsforstander, would suddenly be used as one.

BTW, I can't remember Princess Benedikte or Prince Joachim, although being rigsforstander from time to time, ever having held a public audience.

At hotels.
I remember summarizing an article about just that a year or two ago.

Can't remember the name of the hotel but it's one of the more discreet hotels, rather than one of the more famous, where those who think they are something stay.

Completely off topic but I remember people saying that when The Goring Hotel was chosen to be the Middleton's base for the Cambridge's wedding. Few people had heard of it, even it those who had called in the Buckingham Palace Annex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom