Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost every summer BB send someone to France to take a few snaps of QMII, dressed very casually, shopping at the local market in the town of Cahors, near Chateaux Cayx.

Also this year. QMII strolled around followed by her LiW and good friend, Annette de Scheel as well as a pretty large PET officer.
However, our BB people observed that QMII's back was visibly giving her trouble. She leaned against things a number of times.

As you know the big annual concert at the chateaux was cancelled due to too much security being needed. Instead a small concert for 50 invited guests were held.

See for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/zki0jynynaqcg5ap2y70ji6kkzkinnyq

Almost every summer BB send someone to France to take a few snaps of QMII, dressed very casually, shopping at the local market in the town of Cahors, near Chateaux Cayx.

Also this year. QMII strolled around followed by her LiW and good friend, Annette de Scheel as well as a pretty large PET officer.
However, our BB people observed that QMII's back was visibly giving her trouble. She leaned against things a number of times.

As you know the big annual concert at the chateaux was cancelled due to too much security being needed. Instead a small concert for 50 invited guests were held.

See for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/zki0jynynaqcg5ap2y70ji6kkzkinnyq
mange tak Muhler! HM is still smiling in the Cahors market, so there is still hope:flowers:As long as she does not wear a burkini, I think that she is still good for a few more summers:lol:

I actually had to go and look up what a burkini was. Now, should Margrethe wear one to the beach (perhaps with a daisy motif), she might definitely start a trend as in looking up burkini, I've found that many places have actually banned them. People are silly. They ban the burkini which covers the body but allow pieces of string that leave nothing to the imagination. Go figure.

Poor Queen Margrethe. A painful back must be dreadful. She's suffered from it for about a decade, hasn't she? I imagine it to be one of those conditions that are always with you. However, sunshine and marvellous weather help.

Some day are worse that others I understand. And it's not my impression QMII is too much into painkillers. Partly because you didn't in her generation and partly because I think she wish to keep her mind sharp at any time.

Osteoarthritis is indeed painful, and some days are worse than others. Steroids help, as do anti-inflammatory drugs. In my case, I cannot take either of those because of another medication that I need to take. So I rely on painkillers and pacing myself. I suspect that may also be the case with Queen Margarethe. :sad:

Glad to see that the Queen is enjoying herself, inspite of the pain.

The picture of the big security guard carrying her shopping basket made me laugh. :lol:

Prins Henrik: Jeg jagter de store trofæer | BILLED-BLADET

PH today opened a new center for the Hunting Association of Denmark at Kalø. (A few km south of where I sit now in fact, in our garden).
PH said that although he is rarely hunting these days he still follow the activities of the association.

Hunting is a growing activity here in DK and as such the members of the association (which include basically all licensed hunters in DK) has gone up in recent years, with especially women and young joining.

The Hunting Association works closely with conservation and animal protection associations. Yes, I know it sounds weird on the face of it. But the hunters constitute 80.000 additional sets of eyes in the nature keeping an eye on what is going on, the condition of the nature, the number and condition of animals and birds.
So they are working together, rather than against each other, because both hunters and animal protection associations are interested in maintaining a healthy wildlife and not least nature.
The distance between nature and people is short in DK. Most people live no more than a comfortable bicycle ride from encountering real life deer in a forest.

Oh too funny Muhler! :ROFLMAO:

I like how the Danes have meshed hunting with conservation and concern for the animals in the wild.

Although I much prefer to shoot with a camera in the wilds (actually I live in the wilds) than a gun, being around people that do hunt and use what they kill to supplement their meat freezers has taught me that sometimes hunting animals that are overpopulated and a concern for the environment is sometimes necessary and very humane.

Speaking of deer, sometimes all I have to do is look outside of my window to see them. They're very plentiful around here in the fall (and is a safe, no hunting zone). They're very beautiful and graceful animals.

We can often see deer on the meadow across the lane from our backyard. And when we first moved in here the hedge was much lower, so deer would sometimes enter our backgarden, alerting our dog - at way too early in the morning!

There is an interview with PH in BB this week, where he is talking about Frederik and Christian. I'll write a summary Sunday.

H. M. Queen participating in year-farewell parade with the crew of the Dannebrog

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKWHA0BA_ma/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

I've noticed over the past few years that an increasing number of the conscripts serving aboard Dannebrog are women.
Women are not called up for service like men, but have the right to serve if they wish.
However almost 100 % of all conscripts nowadays opt for volunteer conscription. So for popular postings like Dannebrog there is a two or three year waiting list to serve and all the conscripts are volunteers. That despite the fact that serving aboard Dannebrog means a longer that usual period of conscription.
But it looks very good on the CV, especially if you happen to be a cook or baker - but also for people who seek jobs as waiters see the service as beneficial.

The military is of course delighted! They get all-volunteer and as such highly motivated recruits to work with and perhaps influence to sign a professional contract for service abroad later on.

ADDED: A funny little BB video of QMII delighting some tourists when she today boarded the chalup to sail out to Dannebrog for the farewell ceremony. http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/video-dronning-margrethe-gav-turister-en-stor-oplevelse
A little detail. Notice her LiW and adjutant.
As the highest ranking QMII will enter the chalup as the last person, but leave it as the first.
We can dismiss the chauffeur, because he is likely to leave again after having handed over the dress or whatever it is he is carrying.

Last edited:
:previous: always appreciate the extra info Muher, thank you.

a video from the DRF facebook of the Queen inspecting the crew on board the Dannebrog
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskekongehus/videos/348462248825696/

My pleasure, Polyesco. :)

Another little detail going back at least 500 years.

Towards the end of the video you'll see the crew line up and shout "Hurra" three times in a salute to QMII.
That is called "Dansk løsen" = Danish identification. Both by the navy and the army.
In the days of the sail driven warships, three shots were fired to identify the ship as Danish. (Sometimes the visibility was poor, so you couldn't quite make out the flag and when passing a fortress or another warship, the Danish ship would fire three shots in salute).
In the army a unit on the advance shouted: "Hurra, hurra, hurra" as an additional signal in the confusion that here comes a Danish unit (and of course to spook then enemy). And on the parade ground the three Hurrahs were sometimes used as a salute.
However when the Monarch was (and is) present it becomes three times three hurrahs, or shots as a salute.
And that is used to this day.

And that is why we always hear nine cheers when QMII stands on the balcony on her birthday. I.e. the Monarch proclaims nine cheers for Denmark.

In Sweden they use four shots or cheers and that is called "svensk løsen" = Swedish identification signal.

And thus ends this historical lecture. :graduate:

Last edited:
mange tak for the lecture; now I understand the very unusual 'hurrah' heard in Denmark because it is ONLY heard in Denmark:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've enjoyed the history lessons also. :D

I will remember it well every time here in the US, I hear the chant of "hip! hip! hooray!" Wonder if the Danish tradition is the basis for that?

You are all welcome. :)

I must admit I have no idea how it originated. According to one account it was a crusader-cry.
Anyway, we sometimes use "hip, hip, hurra" as well.

Normally it's three cheers for someone: "Hurra. - Hurra. - Hurra. - Hurraaa" - Followed by the short: "Hu"!
But some prefer the more military: "Hurra, hurra, hurra. - Hurraaa - Hu!"

Wonder in how many places these slight variations are used?

I read once that Hurra(h) was of German origin and was particularly noted as being used by Prussian soldiers at the time of the Napoleonic wars. As Germany is not a million miles from Denmark, maybe it slunk across the border in earlier times?
The English used to say 'Huzza' up to the 18th century particularly when they were toasting and drinking, and that's probably the origin of Hurrah in modern-day England. Entomology is fascinating, I think!

In Dutch we also have 'hoera'.
So, I think it is an old Germanic word. Not strange that it should also be used in the English language, as this is originally a Germanic language.

Thanks Iceflower & Polyesco. :flowers:

This new "season garden" is, I understand" the most private of the gardens and park around Fredensborg. That is, while most of the park is open to the public, even when QMII is in residence, this is likely only to be opened when QMII is not around.

Would love to the collection. Great to see Crown Princess Mary's family with the Queen, they look to enjoy being together. It is lovely they visit and that we don't see them so often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom