Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too!

Especially with QMII as guide. I watched her on the news yesterday, talking about some of the items in her usual vivid style.
Among other things about a monkey the DRF kept as a pet (the cage was exhibited). Apparently the monkey was allowed to roam freely in the palaces, but it had a peculiar trait: It got all worked up if people had dentures! As several members of the DRF back then and at least one cleaning lady had dentures, there were times when the money had to be rushed away, before the situation escalated!

These are of course very much novelty items, I guess many of them must have been presents from other relatives (after all what do you give to people who don't really need anything?) or from visits all over DK and abroad.
It is also no doubt a heaven for people interested in antiques and even more historical objects like a vacuum cleaner.
Many items are of course more or less meaningless to the general public but to QMII in particular they come with an anecdote or a personal memory.

She told how she and her sisters had spend two years going through the items stored away by Queen Ingrid - with constant interruptions and memories.
And she encouraged people to leave a little note with things that are stored away at attics, so that when the day come, children or grandchildren will have an idea about what it was and meant.

In this case she has gone through the many storage rooms of the DRF, together with a curator (whom she praises in the beginning of the video) and found all sorts of often very dusty items!

I wish I had time to see it, but I don't think I can sneak away to Copenhagen for a whole day as things are right now. :sad:

I'm very glad to notice how QMII obviously takes good care of Mary's sister - who looked a little unused to the attention. While daddy is more relaxed.

Very interesting.

Of course they love it! I do too, and I can't speak the language! Queen Margrethe is completely natural, isn't she?

I agree. This wonderful lady is the epitome of "what you see is what you get". If she is seen to be enjoying something, you just know she's enjoying what she's doing. No game face here. She's very expressive and there are so many ways she expresses herself. :flowers:

I agree. This wonderful lady is the epitome of "what you see is what you get". If she is seen to be enjoying something, you just know she's enjoying what she's doing. No game face here. She's very expressive and there are so many ways she expresses herself. :flowers:

Isn't it the truth!! :D. That picture of her, Queen Sonja & Sophie Wessex on the stairs outside the Palace in Stockholm last year, while waiting for Carl Philip and Sofia to arrive for their Wedding Banquet, is my favourite Non Bridal Couple Picture from last year's Wedding and all due to Queen Margarethe. The expression on her face, along w/how she was leaning in really close w/her head resting on her hand, just so screamed "Ooooh...This is really starting to get *good*!!" and it's all due to the expression on HM's face. There was such a sense of total glee on her face, it made me really wish I could have been a fly on that banister. :D

How many Portraits are there in that part of the Exhibit? I'm sure going through those made the memories come for the three Sisters. :)

You know HM makes a really great point about going through the stuff that gets kept over the years and then attaching a note explaining why it's been kept. So much ends up getting pitched when the Kids and Grandkids clean out the house after all is said and done. It really is a great idea to do.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Henrik is present at the opening of the art exhibition "Adventurous Dialog". Mallorca

The exhibition "Adventurous dialogue", or "recontre Fabuleuse", the CCA Andratx on Mallorca shows sculptures by Prince Henrik and paintings by Carl-Henning Pedersen. The exhibition can be seen at Mallorca until April 30, 2017, after which the exhibition will both France and Denmark.

photos from the DRF facebook
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskek...2858385052749/352852245053363/?type=3&theater

more info
RENCONTRE FABULEUSE, HRH Prince Henrik of Denmark&Carl-Henning Pedersen
picture of the press conference
https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn....=d3ca2b426597a42f0086c08260699ea1&oe=587B3B61

Today Joachim is rigsforstander, as the Queen and Crown Prince are out of the country. Tomorrow, Frederik will be Regent until the 27th when he and Mary go on a Business trip to the USA:flowers:

Usædvanligt: Margrethe har trukket stikket og er taget på tidlig ferie

QMII is away on holiday, but the court will not say where.

And as always when something is out of the ordinary in the DRF speculations start. Because it's unusual for QMII to have a vacation at this time of year.

Personally I think she's taking a breather after the summer cruise. She's not getting younger and even though it's routine it must nevertheless be strenuous for her.
Another thing is that she can allow herself to take a break. M&F have so very much taken over - and that includes the daily administration and probably to a considerable extent the planning of future trips as well.
That I believe is now very much in the hands of Frederik. - With QMII more or less oakying what is being done and her mainly dealing with things that concern her directly or constitutionally.

And good for her that she is taking it easy.

Usædvanligt: Margrethe har trukket stikket og er taget på tidlig ferie

QMII is away on holiday, but the court will not say where.

And as always when something is out of the ordinary in the DRF speculations start. Because it's unusual for QMII to have a vacation at this time of year.

Personally I think she's taking a breather after the summer cruise. She's not getting younger and even though it's routine it must nevertheless be strenuous for her.
Another thing is that she can allow herself to take a break. M&F have so very much taken over - and that includes the daily administration and probably to a considerable extent the planning of future trips as well.
That I believe is now very much in the hands of Frederik. - With QMII more or less oakying what is being done and her mainly dealing with things that concern her directly or constitutionally.

I definitely agree.
The summer cruise was a week of a full agenda. Its nice that she can take some time off, especially like you said, she has great support in her two sons and daughter-in-laws. Especially in Frederik :flowers:

H.M. the queen has sent condolences to the Israeli President in honour of former President Shimon Peres's death.
H.M. Dronningen sender kondolence til den israelske præsident | Kongehuset

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: very interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: eya
I love that interview, especially the humorous little comment about cigarettes at the end. I agree with her about the stability that monarchies bring. I was surprised though when the Queen said that even if she hadn't been a monarch she would not have been interested in being a career woman. I could imagine Queen Margrethe doing something in the design field, in the theatre perhaps.

Or archeologist.

We've seen how they have to drag her kicking and screaming away from digs and museums. :p

:previous: Thank you for the article and pictures. There's also a nice video on Facebook. As a Lutheran myself, I have been looking forward to seeing QM's handiwork. It's beautiful - updated, but unmistakably Lutheran.

Here are a few more photos of H.M.Queen Margrethe during her visit to Wittenberg, Germany.

PPE Agency

The altar hanging looks absolutely fabulous. So much painstaking work!

Being an armchair traveler back to ancient civilizations, I would really have loved to have been there with HM as she opened this exhibit. Its got to be something really special when one can trace their heritage back hundreds of years such as Margrethe can.

My family tree starts with me so when you shake that tree, a lot of nuts fall out. :whistling:

Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

I can well imagine it would have taken four strong men to drag QMII away from this exhibition!
And if she smiled more her head would simply split in half!

It is indeed most interesting, because what happened in DK some 6.000 years ago is continually being updated.

During the last ice age the ice stopped right across Jutland, with the rest of DK being buried under ice. But it was still a good place to live for hunter-gatherers, also when the ice started to retreat some 12.000 years ago.
When the ice had gone DK was first marsh-land, the tundra and then dense forest, very most oak and similar slow-growing trees. Beech which is such a dominant feature of Danish fauna came later.
Initially it was thought most people lived in the forests, but it turns out they were almost empty of people until some 8.000 years ago. Most actually lived along the shallow coastline. Fishing and harvesting clamps, and we are talking tons of clamps! - It was food-wise a very rich society. Much more secure than hunting in the forest.

But the climate changed and at least one major disaster must have wiped out countless small communities along the shore-lines off what is now Britain, the Netherlands, Germany and DK. That happened after a massive collapse in either North America or Norway (perhaps both) send a tsunami down what became the North Sea.
And this is when people started to settle along the rivers and even inside the forest.

Then some 6.000 years ago strange people began to arrive from the south. The brought with them weird animals and they lived in permanent settlements and farmed the land. But first and foremost they bred!
A farmer-woman could easily have twice as many children as a woman from a hunter-gatherer society.
The interesting bit is: what happened?
Interbreeding?
Trade? Warfare?
Or did the first people simply migrate away? - Because at that time the coastlines were more or less abandoned, certainly along the sparse west coast of Jutland.

Genetically speaking traces of the first people have been found as far away as the Baltic Countries. So perhaps most did migrate to the still rich coastlines of the Baltic Sea?
Hunter gatherers simply don't have the resources and manpower to keep up a state of war for long anyway.
So the answer to the above questions is probably: All of them.

These farmers who took over, became the Jutes, the Cimbrians, the Angles and Saxons, who much later invaded England.
Around the same time the Danes came west from what is now Sweden and probably Zealand.

Also interesting is that according to one theory at least, the original hunter gatherers were darker-skinned. I.e. like southern Europeans today. That was due to their, according t the theory, much more protein-rich and varied diet. While the farmers were more fair-skinned, due to a deficiency of a certain vitamin in their diet.

AFAIK there have never been found traces of Neanderthals in DK, so perhaps they never came so far north?

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, Muhler. As an archaeologist I know a bit about the pre-historic times in the Netherlands. But nothing about the more Northern countries, where the last Iceage would have lasted much longer.

This museum of Moesgaard was one of the great discoveries when I stayed in Aarhus last year! I can well imagine that HM was enthralled; I spent hours there and only left because a large museum guard insisted I do so! I hope the exhibit will be up for a while so that I can revisit and enjoy:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dronningen overrakte forskerpris til smerte-professor | BILLED-BLADET

Today QMII presented a research-award to professor Lars Arendt-Nielsen, who has done extensive research into pain and pain-relief.
QMII herself are one of the many people who live with daily and/or chronic pain.

:previous: I hope you'll be back, Gerry.
After the rebuild Moesgaard (prehistoric) Museum is always a pleasure to visit.

I learn something new everyday. I never realized that Margrethe lives with chronic pain of any kind. To look at her face and her expressions, one would never know that unless told.

Makes HM, The Queen presenting this auspicious award to Professor Lars Arendt-Nielsen even more memorable and special for both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom