Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were the medals just given to the crew or did any members of the RF receive them too?

As I understand it, commemorative medals are presented to family-members. People who attend the celebration, in this case none I presume. And those who are in service at the time. I.e. staff, employees, adjutants and the crew of Dannebrog. I don't know whether members of the serving guards battalion are also presented with medals.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #24, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know the Regent Couple celebrated their golden anniversary with a cruise aboard Dannebrog with just the two of them.

In fact PH boarded the ship first at 22.00 Wednesday evening.
QMII, and Frederik, had to attend a State Council Thursday. The last before the Parliament go on summer holiday. So she boarded Dannebrog off the island of Møn, a good distance south of Copenhagen. From there on Dannebrog literally vanish from the screens. (Turning off the beacon, enabling you to follow the ship online). Until she turned up off Stora Karlsö in the Baltic Sea. Store Karlsö is the oldest nature reserve in the world with a very unique bird life.
The overseer of the island, Martin Engqvist, explains: "We were of course very surprised, because the Queen and the Prince came totally unexpected. But it was fun and very cozy.
They stayed here for about four hours and started the day in the museum, but they were also in the cave, Stora Förvar, where there are archeological finds from the Stone Age.
Both the Queen and the Prince were very interested, here is so lovely and many return once they've found us. Just like the Queen. I understood she'd been here once in her youth".

But the Regent Couple did get a surprise on the morning of the anniversary, because the crew had been busy constructing a portal inside one of the salons, as well as a sign congratulating them on their big day.

In return the Regent Couple personally presented the crew with a commemoration medal, which is also presented to all employees of the court.

BB also met Benedikte who was on the job on the day and she said: "I haven't had the opportunity to congratulate the golden bridal couple today, because they are sailing somewhere. When I spoke to my sister the other day, she actually didn't know where they would be on the day. That would depend on wind and weather".

With the recent pictures I've seen, I've noticed more and more that Henrik seems to have perhaps a balancing problem. He is often pictured holding onto someone for support and it surely looked like he was not enjoying going down the incline to get off of the yacht.

You're totally right though when it comes to the children, Muhler, he's drawn to them as a magnet and they seem to really enjoy seeing him also. QM and Henrik are people that do thoroughly enjoy children. Especially their own grandchildren. Gramma and Grampa of the best kind. :D

A 25 pic gallery of PH at Tunø Festival: http://stiften.dk/article_gallery/461864

As is evident PH always have a good rapport with children.

He also got a T-shirt which truth to be told I think is a bit... eh... too well fitting.

He doesn't need the scarf though. Despite the pouring rain it's warm today.

-------------------------------------

Skønt foto: Dronning Margrethe og prins Henrik morede sig i Zirkus Nemo | BILLED-BLADET

If you can say QMII is fan of a person, that person must be the comedian/actor Søren Østergaard.
Each year he tours the country with his somewhat bizarre circus show, Cirkuz Nemo. Also to Aaarhus and that usually coincides with the Regent Couple taking up residence at Marselisborg and as certain as amen said in church QMII shows up at one of the performances and ends up totally cracking up from laughter.

Søren Østergaard's show consists of him being various wacky recurring characters and that appeals very much to QMII's sense of humor.
It's nice to see QMII genuinely have fun.

During the intermissions the Regent Couple and Søren Østergaard and his wife had a little morsel in their wagon.

PH is a treasured guest at the annual Tunø Festival:
Prins Henrik i havetraktor på Tunø | BILLED-BLADET

The small island of Tunø is located just outside the Bay of Aarhus. It has been raining today! That didn't spoil the mood though. PH was driven from the harbor on a buggy towed by a garden tractor which for the day had been converted to a crown-vehicle.

While PH sure can have his quirks, this is where he truly excels, among ordinary people.

And here is an additional gallery from Zirkus Nemo: Se billederne: Royale grin i Zirkus | Aarhus | stiften.dk

Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:
I watched the opening together with my daughter on TV last night (what we dads won't have to do to please our daughters...:p).
At least they weren't on the verge of drowning like last year! They were literally performing in pools of muddy water!

But the first half an hour was talked away by the commentators! They babbled incessantly! Was it interesting what they had to say, I hear you ask? - No!
Was it relevant? - Nah!
Then what were they talking about then? - About how great it is to take part in such an event, previous years and how well it was organized. - It probably was, but us poor viewers couldn't see anything, all we had was a 200X300 pixel-screen in the upper corner to look at. :ohmy:
Even school kids would at least try and focus on what was going on. Sometimes I despair...

:previous:That raincoat strikes again. I love that she wears it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
What better way to chase away a gray, dismal day than to wear a raincoat depicting a colorful garden for the raindrops to water? Not too many people could pull off wearing such a raincoat but on QM, it seems tailor made to suit her personality.

I know someone that has a pair of shoes that would kind of match that raincoat too. QM is the epitome of how to wear something unique and totally look great while doing it. :D

Only QMII and Queen Maxima could get away with that. :lol:

Last edited:
:previous::D

Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

I imagine QMII was there well before time! And unless they've managed to drag her away by force, she's probably still there!

Hedeby, located in what is now Southern Jutland, was indeed a very important trade center during especially the Early Viking Age.
Not least slaves. (*)
But also amber, gold and silver and weapons. As well as luxury items from Byzans, like silk cloth exported to Britain.
At the time (700-900's) there were well below fifteen towns in the whole of Scandinavia. And with towns I mean with a permanent population of more than 1000 people.
Practically all Danish towns were established after Hedeby became a thriving trade center. The earliest were established in the 8-900's.

(*) Slaves were very much an international export in the 700-900's.
A decree from the Pope had forbidden Christians to have Christian slaves and since pagans were few and far away what to do? In comes the Vikings. As Heathens they couldn't care less about the Pope, so slaves they bought or took, depending on the mood and circumstances, in Eastern Europe were sold at Hedeby and shipped off the central and western Europe.
Most of these slaves were pagans, so Christians could exploit them with a clear conscience.
While captives from western Europe were shipped off to the east, many ending up in the slave markets of the Byzantine empire.
The Vikings took many captives during their raids. That was big business! The more wealthy were held for a ransom, the same thing applied to some of the clergy, but if you were poor or your wealthy relatives didn't pay up in time, you were shipped east...
But you could be lucky, because sometimes Christian slaves were bought free in groups, either by the church, or by someone wealthy who wished to score some good brownie points in Heaven. - But only Christians were brought free! The poor usually ending up as laborers or farmhands somewhere. Few would ever see their homes again anyway.

That export in humans is very much evident in the DNA from skeletons found from that period. In a surprising number actually! Viking merchants and Viking warriors (that was to some extent the same thing) unsurprisingly tended to find and fall in love with women during their journeys abroad, and brought them back with them, - some more willingly than others mind you!
Viking warrior-traders tended to have money, status and access to luxury goods (or loot). So provided a girl or woman who was captured or traded was treated fairly well, especially if he fell in love with her, which happened more often than one should think, and eventually being "proposed" to. She could actually very likely go up quite a few notches on the social ladder. Even taken their own background into consideration.
The alternative was of course to reject a marriage proposal, in which case her master was free to rape her whenever he wanted anyway and any children she had would be subject to the whim of her master. I.e. become slaves or acknowledged as his children, but put out of the influence of their mother. A slave can't raise a Viking!
As a wife she would have a considerable status, her own household, clothes and jewellery, protection by a family, legal rights and her children would be free. - Life was hard, so most accepted the "proposal".
That the wife happened to be Christian, Pagan or Muslim was no particular problem to the Vikings. Believing in many gods themselves, one more or less made little difference, as long as certain pagan traditions were respected that is. Most captives quickly found a way to compromise with their faith, and many became pagans themselves.
Such women are now found in fairly high status graves indicating a wife of a free man.

What about the boys I hear you ask.
Well, boys who showed a fighting spirit or talent, could raise in status by merit and become adopted or simply quietly and eventually be considered a member of the extended family.
The difference between a Viking slave and a free member of a Viking household could be very blurred. As a part of a household you, as a slave, was the lowest member, but at least you were clothed and fed and protected from outsiders. - Unless you were unfortunate enough to end up in one of the more psychopathic families, but that's another story. - And in many cases you became a kind of member of the family, because the households were after all so small that everyone had a place and was needed.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #26, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Walking hand in hand the Regent Couple a couple of weeks ago went to Tivoli in Copenhagen to see the ballet Cinderella at the outdoor Pantomine Theatre. Here they sat among the audience and enjoyed the ballet.
PH was dressed like only PH could get away with. But he is getting older at some point he missed a step and only the quick reaction from a PET officer prevented him from falling.
Among those who were present at the ballet was a Chinese ex-pat, Lili Zhang, who is a huge fan of QMII! (*) She had brought a friend, Lisa Tan, from China with her and she told our reporter: "We love Queen Margrethe. Your Queen is so utterly fantastic. She's sweet, beautiful and elegant and we have always dreamed about one day seeing her.
We heard that the Queen would be here today and hoped to meet her. But that we got the opportunity to present her with a present and tell her how much she means to is totally wild. It's simply the greatest thing".

The friend, Lisa Tan, said with tears down her cheeks: "Why, it's so big and fantastic. More than I could ever dream about and and she was so beautiful in real life".

The two friends presented QMII with a necklace made from Chinese fresh-water pearls. (You can see it in the article in the link below. And feel free to crop the pic and post it in the jewellery thread if you like.)

When the ballet ended the dancers and stage people got a big applause, which included QMII. And here pH began to loudly praise the work of his wife, until QMII lovingly put her hand on his cheek. (That must be a universal thing among wives!)
QMII's hairdresser, Poul Nejlund, and his husband was there as well, so there were some familiar faces among the crowd.

You can see it all here: BB #26, 2017
And for those who are interested in this weeks issue of BB, look here: BB #27, 2017

Can anyone tell me why the Queen and Prince are referred to as the Regent Couple? It sounds strange as a Regent is someone who stands in for a monarch when he or she is not in the country or is too young to reign.

Can anyone tell me why the Queen and Prince are referred to as the Regent Couple? It sounds strange as a Regent is someone who stands in for a monarch when he or she is not in the country or is too young to reign.

Could it be a translation "thing"? in dutch a "regent" can also be a generic term for "one who reigns" (so for instance a monarch) maybe that's similar in Danish?

Lee-Z is right.

In Danish The Regent is another word for monarch.
While Frederik from time to time act as a Regent.
- A very subtle difference.

The Regent Couple is a literal translation. - Dronningeparret = the Queen Couple, albeit more precise, sounds wrong in Danish. It doesn't ring so to speak.

Last edited:
:previous: Hope for a quick recovery. I noticed he was no longer listed on the Grasten Parade with the Queen and Crown Prince family on the 16th and now know why

On PH and his transfer to Skejby Sygehus (hospital) from "Aarhus University Hospital".

It's the same hospital but two different locations. All the hospitals in Aarhus belongs to Aarhus University Hospital.
He was initially committed to what the locals still call Aarhus Kommunehospital (municipal hospital). That hospital is being decommissioned and the wards there transferred to Skejby Sygehus but it still deals with fairly routine cases of short duration.
He has now been transferred to the much more modern and well equipped Skejby Sygehus. The reason is that they have modern single-bed rooms as standard.
I imagine (thanks to Mrs. Muhler) that they are going to give him the full treatment at the hospital until his ulcer is definitely on the mend.
A normal retiree would be send home and a health-worker would check on the ulcer daily but PH is of course not normal.

So the guess from the Muhler home says age-related-diabetes. Probably mainly caused by overweight.

So the guess from the Muhler home says age-related-diabetes. Probably mainly caused by overweight.

Or he has a vascular ulcer, which -given his lifestyle- is just as likely.
All that foie gras have finally caught with hom, I guess. :whistling:

Nevertheless, I hope he has a speedy and succesful recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom