Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She does.

Pains in her back. That's why we often see her adjutant carry a folding chair or she is seen leaning against something.

I resemble that definition of chronic pain most days.

Maybe someone should publish an article that details the good works of the Professor and along with it, show how one person can deal with and live with chronic back pain but no one would ever know it as she always seems to be rarin' to go with gusto and enjoys what she is doing all the while smiling ear to ear.

Makes me just admire her even more. Thanks Muhler! :flowers:

:previous: Not really. IIRC she visited a gallery close to McD. But there was some construction going on, so she had to go this way.

Drats! I bet my last piece of cheesecake that if HM wanted to, she could cajole the ingredients of McD's "special sauce" out of them. Personally, to me, it tastes a lot like 1000 Island dressing. :D

:previous: Not really. IIRC she visited a gallery close to McD. But there was some construction going on, so she had to go this way.

Into the shop? :lol:
Thanks Muhler. Maybe Henrik asked her to bring a take-away for him.

Drats! I bet my last piece of cheesecake that if HM wanted to, she could cajole the ingredients of McD's "special sauce" out of them. Personally, to me, it tastes a lot like 1000 Island dressing. :D

lol [emoji23]

QMII was on her way to a bookshop, when this photo was taken.

QMII has in a new interview-book, where she talks about Denmark, the Danes, Danish culture and values also touched one of the absolutely most hot subjects, certainly in Europe, right now: Integration, or in too many cases the failure of integration of in particular Muslim immigrants.

In her usual style she manages to speak about this very political subject, and getting her opinion across without being too political.
And of course this is very much what the media concentrate on. Not that it causes headlines, but it is certainly noted when the Queen speaks her mind!

I will without hesitation claim that her views are shared by the majority of the Danes and certainly by a majority in the Parliament - which is also why politicians line up to express their agreement with her.

The book is written by the royal correspondent, Thomas Larsen, of the conservative newspaper Berlingske. (Which I personally suspect is the first paper QMII reads).

Dronning Margrethe om integration: »Det er ikke en naturlov, at man bliver dansker af at bo i Danmark«

Dronningen med kontroversiel udmelding: Vi tog fejl om indvandrerne

QMII openly acknowledge that the problems regarding integration of immigrants has been far bigger then first anticipated and that she has had a change of views over the years. - In particular in regards to more extreme or certainly conservative interpretations of Islam that has become fashionable among a number of immigrants and descendants of immigrants.

This is what she is quoted of saying in the book:
"We probably thought that those sort of things (failing to integrate) would sort itself out. If you walked the streets of Copenhagen and drank the municipal water and went with the municipal bus, you would become Dane within a short space of time. It was so obvious to us and that's why we thought it would be the same for those, who settled down and lived here.
It wasn't like that. That we have learned. It's not a law of nature that you become Dane by living in Denmark. You don't necessarily. Some of the earth in the pot needs to be changed, I think. You may keep your roots but you must ensure the earth is fresh".

QMII express the opinions that it should have been made clear what the democratic and cultural rules are in Denmark from the beginning.
"It needs to be worked on and sometimes you have to put the foot down and say: Hey! That, that is unacceptable".

"We can't pretend that it'll pass by itself. It doesn't. We thought that for a period. Many of us believed that when people came to a strange/new place, they we some sort of blotting paper, which sucked up the new stuff. But people don't have that much blotting paper on their feet, so that it enters the body.
Perhaps it's also because when so many come at the same time from a different background and with a certain religion, it becomes more difficult. They end up isolating themselves and living in isolation with or without their consent"

But what to do? QMII isn't sure:
"If I knew I would certainly be a wise old woman. It's not easy at all and how you deal with I am not the one to put words on that. But we have to work it out and in a way I think we should be glad that we have realized that it is difficult. because then we can easier face the problems and do something sensible about".

---------------

Well, I think QMII has the same vision as me: That the brown-shirts are polishing their boots here in Europe, getting ready to march the streets. - And elsewhere?

Last edited:
She is wise, our queen. The balance of speaking non-political about a hot political problem - she nails that! And I admire her for that :wub:

I agree. I think the Queen is both sensible and sensitive in articulating what she thinks of the very difficult situation that has developed over the last decade and a half. And I too feel that right wing groups all over Europe have been given an enormous amount of ammunition with which to sharpen their rhetoric. I think this every time there is another terrorist attack. It's great that Queen Margrethe has tackled this issue.

QMII has in a new interview-book, where she talks about Denmark, the Danes, Danish culture and values also touched one of the absolutely most hot subjects, certainly in Europe, right now: Integration, or in too many cases the failure of integration of in particular Muslim immigrants.

In her usual style she manages to speak about this very political subject, and getting her opinion across without being too political.
And of course this is very much what the media concentrate on. Not that it causes headlines, but it is certainly noted when the Queen speaks her mind!

I will without hesitation claim that her views are shared by the majority of the Danes and certainly by a majority in the Parliament - which is also why politicians line up to express their agreement with her.

The book is written by the royal correspondent, Thomas Larsen, of the conservative newspaper Berlingske. (Which I personally suspect is the first paper QMII reads).

Dronning Margrethe om integration: »Det er ikke en naturlov, at man bliver dansker af at bo i Danmark«

Dronningen med kontroversiel udmelding: Vi tog fejl om indvandrerne

QMII openly acknowledge that the problems regarding integration of immigrants has been far bigger then first anticipated and that she has had a change of views over the years. - In particular in regards to more extreme or certainly conservative interpretations of Islam that has become fashionable among a number of immigrants and descendants of immigrants.

This is what she is quoted of saying in the book:
"We probably thought that those sort of things (failing to integrate) would sort itself out. If you walked the streets of Copenhagen and drank the municipal water and went with the municipal bus, you would become Dane within a short space of time. It was so obvious to us and that's why we thought it would be the same for those, who settled down and lived here.
It wasn't like that. That we have learned. It's not a law of nature that you become Dane by living in Denmark. You don't necessarily. Some of the earth in the pot needs to be changed, I think. You may keep your roots but you must ensure the earth is fresh".

QMII express the opinions that it should have been made clear what the democratic and cultural rules are in Denmark from the beginning.
"It needs to be worked on and sometimes you have to put the foot down and say: Hey! That, that is unacceptable".

"We can't pretend that it'll pass by itself. It doesn't. We thought that for a period. Many of us believed that when people came to a strange/new place, they we some sort of blotting paper, which sucked up the new stuff. But people don't have that much blotting paper on their feet, so that it enters the body.
Perhaps it's also because when so many come at the same time from a different background and with a certain religion, it becomes more difficult. They end up isolating themselves and living in isolation with or without their consent"

But what to do? QMII isn't sure:
"If I knew I would certainly be a wise old woman. It's not easy at all and how you deal with I am not the one to put words on that. But we have to work it out and in a way I think we should be glad that we have realized that it is difficult. because then we can easier face the problems and do something sensible about".

---------------

Well, I think QMII has the same vision as me: That the brown-shirts are polishing their boots here in Europe, getting ready to march the streets. - And elsewhere?

I certainly hope that Europe and Europeans remember their history! Clearly refugees come to new homes to escape the wars and create a better life for themselves and their families. It is only a tiny minority of troubled people who cause problems for the rest! These people can be identified by their own community and brought to the attention of those who can deal with such persons e.g police. This has worked successfully in The Netherlands despite the hate mongering efforts of Geert Wilders. I am confident that your own royal family's efforts to engage with new Danes will prove successful in encouraging integration of newcomers into Danish society.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

thank you for sharing this Muhler. :flowers: Always interesting to read.

Today, the Queen has had to cancel an event due to back issues
Dronningen aflyser arrangement med kort varsel | BILLED-BLADET
"Queen Margrethe had Monday afternoon 24 October handing H. C. Ørsteds Medal at the University of Copenhagen.
But only a few hours before the queen had to be at the Biocenter, had Majesty cancel.
Queen Margrethe has backache"

The Queen has backache the Crown Prince has neckache.. Time for Prince Henrik to show up ! I hope they will soon recover .

Thanks, Polyesco.

Yes, it has caused some attention that QMII has cancelled with such a short notice. And since Frederik is still convalescing, we may assume.
This leaves the current DRF events very much up to Joachim and Mary.

Mary will probably host a large reception at Christiansborg tomorrow.

Yes, it is indeed a hot topic, Gerry.

Suffice to say that the method you describe has been used in the past two decades with less than success and the general public's (read voters) belief in that way of integrating has been reduced very much.

Yes, it has caused some attention that QMII has cancelled with such a short notice. And since Frederik is still convalescing, we may assume.

According to the official calendar, Crown Prince Frederik is attending two days of IOC Coordination Commission meetings in Lausanne, Wednesday and Thursday. That has, so far, not been cancelled.

Thanks, Polyesco.

The court has said all the time that the accident will not affect any of Crown Prince Frederik's official events. And Frederik has 4 official duties just in this week. I don't think it is 'as worse' as the media have tried to make it.
It at least seems that Frederik is going to doing all his official duties - with the first one tomorrow morning in Switzerland - just with a cervical collar on :)

BT has more on what QMII says in the new book: Margrethe taler ud i ny bog: Mine forældre skammede sig

I have omitted a few articles that is perhaps of less interest to this board as it is more about the Danish tribe in general.
But she is certainly an observant lady!

In the part above there is an excerpt from her parent's view on the German occupation 1940-45. And their view was not positive in regards to the Danish government's attempt to co-operate as much as practical with the German occupiers. (The aim being to let DK get through the war as unharmed as possible, which to a considerable extent succeeded).
Queen Ingrid is here quoted for using an expression on the day DK was invaded, that is by no means ladylike! - An expression that would instantly be censored here on TRF.

Anyway, I guess BB will write an article about the book, since there is little else going on DRF-wise and that means we can have a summary.
And I'm seriously considering buying it, because it provides a fascinating insight to a Queen who pondering over what has changed in her lifetime. And whatever QMII may be, she is as always sharp!

I see BB this week, i.e. tomorrow, will write about the new book and bring excerpts.
That should be interesting!

So stay tuned on this thread. :)

I'm looking forward to your report Muhler.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #43, 2016.
Written by Ken Richter.

PH is getting older, and so are some of his friends.

The time for the royal hunts have started and PH went to central Jutland to start one. He doesn't hunt himself. But being 83 and having to sit still for hours, that's no longer something he can handle.

Actually PH arrived late for the start of the hunt. The reason was that he needed a little rest after a long journey the day before. But he did join the hunters for the lunch though.
One of PH good friends, Christian Kjær also went hunting, but he is feeling old as well.

Getting older year by year is inevitable for all of us, isn't it? It's good that prince Henrik can still travel and see his friends and participate in the hunt that has been part of his life for so long. Being with friends of many years standing helps keeps him going, I'm sure. I don't approve of hunting, but that's a different subject...! Good too that Henrik is still in Denmark and can be supportive of his wife, whose back has given her so many problems.

To my slight disappointment BB does not write more about the new book with QMII than what she has been saying about Mary.
And she is indeed praising Mary very much!
However, that has already been covered by Roskilde in another thread. :flowers:

Instead I will focus on the work QMII did on the antependium for the church in Wittenberg.
Now, I know next to nothing about embroidery, so bear with me. And you can enjoy the photos of QMII in the creative process here: https://app.box.com/s/sf65twel16vfls6xi5piua5lak90grd0

And BB from last week, for those interested: https://app.box.com/s/ymlmvegeqqltph0st43w9lwjsx02tc5p

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #43, 2016.
Interviewer: Trine Larsen.

QMII was approached almost two years ago and asked whether she would create a new antepedium on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in Wittenberg. (The Reformation in DK took place in the mid 1530's).
Initially QMII was hestitant and pondered the request for some time. in fact she had never been to Wittenberg, so she went to have a look around and to meet the people associated with the church.
Then she started. First by drawing the patters and then by sewing and every single stitch is done by QMII - and that's a lot of stitches! Because she used what is known a petitpoint, which is smaller than "normal" stitches in embroideries.
Her work consists of two borders with a motif of flames with Luther-rose in the center and these were added to the cloth that constitute the basis for the antependium.
Each border measure 120 x 32 centimeters. And the rose measure 35 x 40 centimeter.

The flames refer to the Holy Spirit as well as well as Luther's passionate personality.
The rose itself is very much a Lutheran symbol with the cross being a symbol of the faith in the crucified Christ. The heart symbolize life and love, while the white rose symbolize joy and peace.

So QMII has put in hundreds of hours of work and despite the occasional "You must be nuts" (to undertake this), she was most of the time deeply caught up with her work and actually had problems getting away from sewing.

But Why QMII?
This is QMII's first antependium to a foreign church. And she explains that the ideas of the Reformation spread north to DK and by 1526 the ideas had reached Schleswig Holstein. By then the later Christian III was duke there. Haderslev was the first town in the Danish realm where the Reformation was officially introduced so to speak. Haderslev is located in what is now Southern Jutland.
But it was only when Christian III became king that the Reformation was officially introduced in Denmark. In 1536, officially. - In the middle of a vicious civil war by the way. Which was not about religion but politics.
Anyway, a number of years ago QMII did some work for the catherdral in Haderslev, so hence the connection between Haderslev/Denmark and Wittenberg.

Apart from the antependium having to be red, QMII was given free reins and she used different nuances of red to create a sense of depth in the embroidery.

- I understand the locals are pretty pleased with the result!

As a Dane I can't help feeling proud of the way the Reformation was introduced in Denmark.
DK had always been more or less autonomous from Rome - being so far away. In fact there is a very amusing story about a representative from Rome coming here in the late medieval period. :D I'll tell you about it you wish.
The Reformation was introduced from the top down, quietly and in good order.
There was no religious persecution. No burning ad destruction of cloisters and churches. No killing or abuse of priests and monks. And in the very few cases it did happened it was treated as a criminal offense.
The religious orders were told that this was the end and many if not most decided to pack up. Others were told to vacate the premises by this and that date, then the crown would take over.
But several cloisters and abbeys remained and continued as they always had. They were simply informed that there would be no new members admitted to whatever order they belonged to and by the time the last monk or nun died, the place would go to the crown. That often took several decades!
It wasn't so much religious tolerance, but more an example of a small population where everybody more or less knew everybody else. And many of those who lived in the monastic houses were younger sons and daughters of the nobility and no one wanted to harm relatives, so they were simply allowed to live on.
An unexpected by-product of the Reformation was that the state, i.e. the crown, had to set up a system of hospitals, schools and poor houses and other kinds of welfare initiatives that had otherwise been covered by the Catholic church.

So in contrast to most other places in Europe the Reformation in DK was a peaceful affair.

Last edited:
Wow, that is amazing.

I do think that the Queen should be immensely proud of all the hard work she put into that wonderful altar cloth.

Plus I agree, how much more agreeable and civilised to introduce a reformed religion into a country was the Danish way. I lived near a ruined abbey in England, and would often think of the monks, some of them very old, being turned out of their homes. It was also disgraceful the way English churches, at two separate periods, had their stained glass smashed, wall paintings whitewashed and even gilded Angels destroyed high up in the ceilings.

This follow-up on my previous post is the story about a papal representative who went to Denmark in the 1100's (IIRC, I can't find the reference off hand. So this is from memory.). It is noted in the chronicles with barely concealed amusement that the papal representative came, did his business and left again with considerable haste...

It's a bit unclear what the purpose of the visit actually was, but from the beginning of DK being christened the Danish kings made sure their close relatives held the strongest position within the church and as such Rome never had any significant influence in Danish politics, let alone in how the local bishops and monasteries conducted their affairs. They sometimes asked Rome for permission to do what they always had done, - and intended to continue to do anyway, but apart from that everybody were happy if Rome minded its own business and Rome never really bothered to try and enforce any politics this far away. - And that may have been one of the explanations why the Reformation went pretty smoothly here.

But back to our papal representative. This is not mentioned directly in the chronicles but the historian Palle Lauring, certainly interpreted it along these lines:

Imagine a young man being called in for a little talk in Rome, around 1150 or so.
"There you are. I have a little job juuust right for an ambitious little pest... eeh, ambitious young man like you. :D
The Holy Father wishes for you to go and meet the Danish king. - Yes, in Denmark. - Yees, that's very far to the north... But it'll look good on your CV.
Admittedly they are a bit rough up there, but they are Christians. Sort off...
You look a little green around the gills. Been eating too much? A trip and lots of fresh air is the best cure".
- One can almost see the other papal official's dark-red faces trying desperately not to break down laughing.

North of the Alps our friend would have entered the dark, gloomy German forest. Far from sunny, mild and civilized Italy.
And people in the various monasteries and where else he spend and his entourage spend the nights would no doubt have sensed his apprehension and told him stories of what awaited him.

By the time he crossed the Danish border at Dannevirke, he would have noticed a slight change. Denmark at the time was not as feudal as the German principalities were. There were hardly any stone buildings at all. The few churches were made of timber. Hardly any castles at all and certainly no stone-houses. Not even those used by the nobility. It must have been the end of the world, for our no doubt pretty depressed papal representative.
Not only that the locals were big! Even most women were taller than him. They looked like savages, they sounded like savages and they acted like savages. - And they were all armed.
All free men habitually carried a weapon. (Even to church. hence the arms-house that is still a part of Danish churches). - So did many women... And thralls... And even bigger children - he would have noticed and remembered what he was told: "Well, they do have a kind of law and order, but they prefer to settle their differences on the spot. And whatever you do, don't insult them"!
And he knew he was alone. He could expect no support from the local church, because that was firmly under the control of the king and fat chance of the Pope finding someone and sending him north to change that! Not in the face of a non-approving king. After all these savages had killed one of their own kings inside a cathedral and in front of the altar! (That was King Knud, in 1086).

But he did eventually meet the king and being a papal representative he would have been an honored guest at the banqueting hall, sitting next to the king. A smoke-filled, dark, smelly hall. A far cry from the palaces of Rome, surrounded by shouting, drunk savages and served most unfamiliar food. Why, there were even women sitting at the tables among the men! And being just as drunk...
And they would have sensed his fear! And without a doubt been unable to resist the temptation to have some fun on his behalf. So I'm sure they would have turned up the volume and waved the axes a bit more than usual.
And drunk him under the table... I guess our friend would have had problems saying no when a big, burly noble toasted him - every five minutes... "Don't you like our mead? - Drink up, friend. Drink up".

While guests were occasionally killed, it was pretty rare, because the Norsemen took hospitality and the sanctity of their guests very seriously! So he would have been pretty safe, even if there was no way the status of the Pope would have protected him had he annoyed the locals.

- So he conducted his business in an almost unseemly haste...:D

:previous: I love stories like the one you just related. Adds a lot of color and depth to little blurbs about the past. I think I've come up with a possible reason that our dear papal representative kind of took to heart as far as being a stranger in a strange land.

Saint Ambrose, Bishop of Milan in 387 AD came up with the precept on how church members should behave when traveling. The original statement “When I am at Rome, I fast on Saturday; when I am at Milan I do not. Follow the custom of the Church where you are.” Over the years the statement has modified to "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".

I bet this is one globe trotting papal representative that was so very glad to get back home and in his own bed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom