The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Royal Highness

So do they actually love each other? Are they in love?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct88
I had heard that it was the 2002 New Year's reception when Queen Margrethe II was ill due to a broken rib, and was unable to host. I had read somewhere that Margrethe designated Henrik as the host, but the media there made it as if Crown Prince Frederik was the host, and the press ignored Henrik. Henrik got fed up, and immediately traveled to his home in Cahors, France. That is what I had read somewhere, but I am writing this from memory, so I could be wrong.
That's the correct version. The media and the politicians, as well.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Wasn't the Queen attending something abroad with other royals at the time? I seem to think for some reason that it was a royal wedding (Constantijn and Laurentien's maybe?) that the Queen was attending when the interview with Henrik's mid-life crisis broke. How embarassing it must've been for Margrethe to be in the presence of other royals while her husband was throwing a hissy fit because he wasn't as important as his wife or his eldest son.

But bless Margrethe who behaved so stoically through it all.
If it was 2002 it was probably Martha Louise of Norway's wedding. Margrethe attended that one, but did not attend Constantijn and Laurentien's 2001 wedding. Actually, nobody directly from the Danish royal family attended Constantijn and Laurentien's wedding. The only ones who might have been considered representatives were Princess Alexandra zu-Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and her husband, Count Jefferson und-Klein-Ellguth.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Serene Highness

I actually feel sorry for Henrik. It really defies the concept of a father son relationship when your son has and will have precedence over you in every possible situation, publically, carrer wise (princely affairs) maybe even in their pesonal lives (or maybe not). How is the son suppose to take the father seriously when even in thier work he is above him? Something should have really been done about the situation sooner. I think if Margarethe and Henrik were really in love this situation would have been resolved years ago.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Majesty

All the answers are found in the article provided by Elspeth in post #4. Here is the link to her post.
Prince Henrik's Tantrum: January 2002

To recap, Margrethe could not attend the annual royal New Year's reception because of a broken rib. At Margrethe's behest, Henrik hosted the function, but everyone assumed that Frederik was the host and ignored Henrik. So Henrik left for Caix. Margrethe attended Maxima and WA's wedding before joining Henrik in Caix to resolve this issue.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
I actually feel sorry for Henrik. It really defies the concept of a father son relationship when your son has and will have precedence over you in every possible situation, publically, carrer wise (princely affairs) maybe even in their pesonal lives (or maybe not). How is the son suppose to take the father seriously when even in thier work he is above him? Something should have really been done about the situation sooner. I think if Margarethe and Henrik were really in love this situation would have been resolved years ago.
I think they are in love, but when one spouse (particularly the male) has to play second fiddle & junior partner to the other for their entire relationship, there is bound are bound to be hiccups & bruised egos and feelings.

He went on 'strike' back in the mid 80s as well, as he felt he wasn't getting paid enough.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~

He went on 'strike' back in the mid 80s as well, as he felt he wasn't getting paid enough.
What do you mean paid? his allowance from the state?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
What do you mean paid? his allowance from the state?
He didn't get his own allowance. The only money he got was from the Queen's allowance, and he felt that it was demeaning for a man to go to his wife to ask for money whenever he needed it. Especially since he did royal duties of his own. (I also believe this was said by politicians in regards to Frederik and Mary's allowance, where Mary doesn't actually have one, but has to ask Frederik for what she needs, in theory.)
Old 08-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess we all throw a temper tantrum once in a while lol. Maybe for attention or just plain fed up and need a break from things.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

He probably did need a little bit of a break. I think that being the husband of a Queen may be one of the hardest jobs around. It's hard for a man to be of lower rank than his wife (in royalty or regular jobs as well). I think it's much easier for Queens of reigning Kings, as women are traditionally thought of as being "below" their husbands.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember all of this and I have to say I was really embarassed for the Queen. It has always seemed to me that Henrik never did that much anyway. I could be quite wrong here on saying that,but I am a big Margrethe fan, the way she "manages" the royal family etc. and he just never seemed to understand what a huge task she carried I have always thought he was her one bad decision. But I am only expressing my personal voice here.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Courtier

This is the funiest thing I've ever read. If the prince could not take the heat, he should have stayed out of the kitchen. This idea that women are beneath their husbands is foreign to me, but then again, I live in the real world. The prince chose his path after all, and I can't think of anything less manly than throwing a temper tantrum like a little boy.

The person I really feel sorry for is Frederik. Can you imagine your own father resenting you for things beyond your control. We are all entitled to a little melt down every once in a while, but shame on him for doing this to his son. He should be the wiser one of the two, and how embarrasing for the Queen, but I'm sure she's used to hearing all about it in private.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Two things- 1) Where was Alexandra? She and Joachim were still together then.

2) I wonder how Henrik feels about sometimes being considered the Fourth most important (at least in press and popularity) since Mary joined the Royal Family and became a hugely popular member of the DRF?

Old 06-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Courtier

I think its human nature to wish to feel your important, either to someone or a job you are doing.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Two things- 1) Where was Alexandra? She and Joachim were still together then.

2) I wonder how Henrik feels about sometimes being considered the Fourth most important (at least in press and popularity) since Mary joined the Royal Family and became a hugely popular member of the DRF?
The answer for your 1. question is: It is only Queen Margrethe,Prince Henrik, CP Frederik and CP Mary who are attending that funktion on January 2. Therfor neither Prince Joachim or Princess Alexandra was invited to that funktion.

Your 2. question i donīt have an answe for but i hope that he like to be with his rather big family

Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
The answer for your 1. question is: It is only Queen Margrethe,Prince Henrik, CP Frederik and CP Mary who are attending that funktion on January 2. Therfor neither Prince Joachim or Princess Alexandra was invited to that funktion.
No, I mean where was Alexandra when Margrethe, Joachim, and Frederik went to France where Henrik was sulking? (Joachim was there- he was in the pictures!)
That was in 2002- before Mary (they didn't even become engaged until 2003) and while Alexandra and Joachim were still together. Was she busy, or just stayed home?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
No, I mean where was Alexandra when Margrethe, Joachim, and Frederik went to France where Henrik was sulking? (Joachim was there- he was in the pictures!)
That was in 2002- before Mary (they didn't even become engaged until 2003) and while Alexandra and Joachim were still together. Was she busy, or just stayed home?
As i remember it Alexandra stayed home because she had to take care of their kids and her job as a princess

Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess that's what you get for being prince consort.I wonder if he would do that if he had the title of king.

Tags
crown prince frederik, frederik, henrik, joachim, margrethe, margrethe ii, prince frederik, prince henrik, prince joachim, queen margrethe