Prince Henrik's Plans for his Final Resting Place: August 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Muhler said:
It's presumably his mounting dissatisfaction and frustration about not being equal to his wife, the Queen, that is behind his decision.

What I would like to tell Henrik:

Big deal Henrik!

As a woman I can asure you gender equality is not establised everywere and usual we the woman are the ones who are on the bad side. Did you ever work for gender equality or did you think just because you are a men everything should be in your favour and you simple deserved equality because you are a men?

Surprise, surprise, life is not fair and we all do not get always what we want or work very hard for.

And if you ever thought about your legacy, are you sure you are helping your legacy with this stupidy? :bang:

Last edited:
The comments are pouring in from historians and more or less royal experts.

I'll leave it to other Danish-speakers/readers to pick out details, but some of the comments are pretty harsh!

https://www.b.dk/kultur/kongehuseks...over-hele-prins-henrik-og-dronning-margrethes

Historiker: Prins Henrik bryder med 600 års traditioner | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk

Kongehusekspert: Vi har ikke længere et regentpar - Indland

The historian Jes Frabricius Møller ends his comment with this broadside:
"This I had not even imagined - it's totally incomprehensible. I cannot fathom what is going on in that mans head. They have long gone along with the Prince Consort on several occasions. The only thing he has been denied is to be formally equal to hus wife (formal). But the country only has one head of state and that cannot be changed. Anyway, this was something he should have negotiated with Frederik IX, before the couple were to marry".

The only one who has shown sympathy for PH, while doing a no comment on his decision, is his very close friend, Erik Brandt.

- I'm going to take a break.

I'm now watching TV AVISEN (DR's news program) and its of course the main story.

Edit: They are reporting live from Fredensborg.

Edit: Commentary from Berlingske: (Danish newspaper)
https://www.b.dk/nationalt/dumstaed...-dronning-margrethe-det-er-en-nedsmeltning-af
A good example of one who has had a similar status is Queen Elizabeth's husband, Prince Philip - a 96-year-old man who has now decided to retire. But it's a prince who has never at any point showed a lack of acceptance for the role he once was given.

One could wish that our own prince would learn from the dignity and prestige that has been associated with Prince Philips act as a spouse to the monarch. From Prince Philip there has been no public complains about his position, etc. On the contrary, Prince Philip has been a faithful support for his wife, Queen Elizabeth. One could have hoped that our own Prince Henrik would have seen more to England when he was to find a role model for a prince!

Edit It's starting to make news in Norway too.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik never settled for his role. But this decision is a lack of respect for the queen and her family. There was no need to make this announcement.
I feel sorry for Queen Margrethe and Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim. These PH decisions should not be easy for them.
It is because of these decisions that the people do not sympathize with Henrik.

Yep, got dutch media attention too.... i don't really know what to say, i know P.Henrik was always a bit eccentric, but this? Wouldn't have guessed in a million years...

This has taken me very much by surprise. I can only say two things:

1/ No greater rank, style or title, nor achievement or privilege could there have been for him than to have been married all these years to the great lady that is Queen Margrethe

2/ Indeed alive there can be inequality - but in death everyone is as equal as it can possibly be.

The eminent norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland says he's shocked and speechless by the news.

I watched Nyhederne (Danish TV2's news program) and it was of course the main story there too.

Ekspert om prins Henriks "ultimative" beslutning: Det får betydning for dronningens eftermæle | Nyheder | DR
The Royal house's communication today, shows according to Anette Kokholm, that the gloves are off when it comes to Prince Henrik. The royal house says it as it is without trying to pack it in.

''One thing is that it's sad for the Queen, and we all can see that he behaves silly, but it also has a historical significance. It will be in the history books.''

And according to Anette Kokholm, the decision does not only have historical consequences, but also for the Danish people's view of the Queen and the royal house.

''It's going to affect the Queen's legacy as regent, that she has not been able to held the family together. For the Queen, der er pligten selv (a Danish/Norwegian expression - in English: who is the duty herself), this must be a blow in the face, says Anette Kokholm.

Last edited:
Its becoming ever so tedious ,someone should tell him to grow up and we are so bored by him,how embarrassing!

Ok sorry, not really up on the Danish royals...just became aware of all this today...do he and the Queen have a good relationship as far as it's known?

I just can't fathom he would refuse burial by his wife because of his title.

LaRae

He's such a self-involved spoiled brat of a man-child and it makes me sad because Queen Margrethe is one of my favorites and she deserved a partner and spouse who can appreciate the extreme privilege he's been given in his life and be a good partner to her without constantly complaining he doesn't have more than he has.

Is it similar to the UK when it comes to giving a title to a spouse of the King/Queen? Meaning the Queen would have to do it and it be approved etc?

LaRae

I think she would have been better of marrying Prince Michael of Kent

Some thoughts on this matter:

I wonder why, given that HM the Queen (and presumably the rest of the family) have known about, and accepted, this for some time, the decision has been released to the press either at all (it could have been announced after his death) and in particular why right now.

I don't seem to be clear about who actually instructed the palace to make the announcement.

While Denmark followed precedents in the UK and The Netherlands regarding the title of Prince Henrik as a consort, it is also the case that precedents exist for the husband of a queen regnant to be a "king", Maria II (da Gloria) and Mary I of England being two examples.

Maybe, in our age of increasing (not there yet) gender equality, there is a logical case for having 'matching' titles of "Queen Consort" and "King Consort" to apply to the spouses of a reigning monarch.

I feel sorry for the Queen that the sorry saga of Prince Henrik's "issues" with his role, title and position are once again the source of public gossip and indignation.

Wherever he's buried, he'll decompose like the rest of us and ultimately, it will be of absolutely no consequence whatsoever.

Last edited:
Is there ANY stunt he will not pull in his [successful] determination to offend and upset the nation that his wife reigns over ? He appears a baby 'throwing his toys out of his Pram' AGAIN...

The contrast he cuts with the Duke of Edinburgh is instructive...

Last edited:
I wonder if this was announced it part to tie in with Philip's retirement, maybe it was Henrik leaking it and he thought he would get all the platitudes that Philip did yesterday.

IMO this is just an awful decision as its almost saying that everything he and the Queen have done and the family they have created together is worth nothing to him. I think he has done it in part to ensure he goes down in history, just sadly it will be as the first consort in decades to be buried apart and that ensures history books will take note of him for decades/centuries to come.

In many ways I would love the Queen to divorce him if that is what she wants but I'm not sure she does but how she puts up with someone being so unfair, manipulative and down right horrible to her I do not know!

Okay, I watched the DR news and I have again glanced the various comments and articles. That it is also hitting the international news is unsurprising but nevertheless embarrassing, also for me as a Dane.

I've set my crap-filter to high, which means I only include people who are serious and who at least have a good idea of what they are talking about. Some of them are people who have interviewed PH personally.

While there is some understanding for his feelings of being the number two, there is no understanding for the way he has done it. In fact even some of these serious commentators are pretty harsh. One suggesting that he is not of sound mind! Another suggesting that his fixation and stubbornness is age-related.
All of them are in agreement that this will backfire seriously on PH! Some worry that this might damage QMII otherwise very fine legacy.
All agree that QMII will be showered in sympathy.
There is a general shock among the commentators that his is refusing to buried next to his wife, not just his Queen, but his wife!
Others have pointed out that despite this they still believe PH is very fond of his wife and does feel Danish.

- Well, I'm embarrassed. But is nothing to how embarrassed the DRF and in particular QMII must be! Also it must hurt QMII's feelings so much. Her husband is refusing to lie beside her in eternity! QMII is a devout Christian, so this is not a minor thing. She must also feel immensely betrayed. She has within the Constitutional boundaries, almost stood on her head in order to accommodate him.
It's not a question of titles. Even if PH got the title of emperor of Denmark, or great khan or whatever, he will never be equal to the head of state and there can be only one head of state!
In the public eye, it's safe to say, that PH has way too far this time!
He will not be forgiven by the Danes for hurting his wife in this way. And it will be very difficult to forgive him for embarrassing the Queen, the royal family, Denmark and the Danes.
Most Danes simply cannot understand the issue about titles! If a title is empty it's meaningless.

One comment pointed out this since PH's burial site in DK is yet to be disclosed, there are still negotiations going on between PH and QMII in that regards. I find that very plausible and I believe it will end up on PH wanting to be buried in France with his family. - If that is announced PH will not only have turned his back on his wife and Queen but also the Danish tribe and then he's out. Seriously out! That to the extent that politicians and papers will openly tell PH to stay away!

Several have pointed out that PH still loves his wife and still feels as a full-blooded Dane. He issue is with the monarchy and the Constitution. That IMO is a load of bull-dust!
In my book you do not treat your wife like that! You do not hurt your wife's feelings by refusing to be buried next to her, when that was the plan all along. You do not p*ss down the back of your wife, while telling her you love her!
You do not call yourself a Dane and in the same breath deeply embarrass the foremost representative of Denmark.
And keep in mind, he has also made things much more difficult for Frederik. Frederik is a sensitive man, this must be hurtful for him as well, and also embarrassing. Not to mention the distress this is causing within the family. Frederik cannot side with PH, even if he agreed with his father. He must side with QMII. He can't even be afforded the relative luxury of remaining fairly neutral between his parents.

There is also the question of PH's staff and apanage. I think it's safe to say that if this turns even more ugly, there will be serious political calls, not to mention a public outcry, for his apanage to be cut substantially and his staff as well. He will get a much more limited pension-apanage and in so many words be "advised" to stay in France, preferably forever.

Currently PH and QMII are now on "holiday" together in France. I think they are having some very deep conversations about what is going to happen now!

Will QMII abdicate? IMO that is now a definite possibility.
If PH continues to make a spectacle of himself and/or he wants to be buried in France, QMII who has a very sense of duty, may feel that she and her husband is now such a big liability for the DRF. In other words this issue overshadows the work the DRF is doing or is getting too embarrassing for the DRF, then I think she might very well decide to step back. To start a new chapter.
When she's no longer the Monarch, then PH's continual rants about being equal is irrelevant as well. PH cannot be equal to his son, the king.
That may very well happen around Frederiks' 50th birthday. And I think that option has been at least considered.
Right now I'll estimate these probability at around 40 %, if PH want's to be buried in France that goes up to 50 or 60 %. If he continues to babble away about how unfairly he has been treated and bou hou, we go up 70 % probability for QMII abdicating.

How about Mary? Will she, based on PH's grumblings, become princess-consort instead?
I don't believe that for a moment. Mary is deeply respected in her own right. Most people will feel it would be wrong to "punish" Mary because one man could not accept his position. Also, there is no tradition for a princess consort in Denmark. With extremely few exception the rule is that if you marry the king you become queen, period! No mistake and no confusion.

We shall see.

I wonder if this was announced it part to tie in with Philip's retirement, maybe it was Henrik leaking it and he thought he would get all the platitudes that Philip did yesterday.

IMO this is just an awful decision as its almost saying that everything he and the Queen have done and the family they have created together is worth nothing to him. I think he has done it in part to ensure he goes down in history, just sadly it will be as the first consort in decades to be buried apart and that ensures history books will take note of him for decades/centuries to come.

In many ways I would love the Queen to divorce him if that is what she wants but I'm not sure she does but how she puts up with someone being so unfair, manipulative and down right horrible to her I do not know!

That is very plausible IMO. BB's Trine Larsen was on the news and she told there had been rumors for some time but that she didn't take them seriously.
I think this is very like something PH has hinted to various reporters. A bit like the little boy saying he will run away from home. So yes, I don't think it was a coincidence that the story surfaced now. The DRF's hands has IMO been forced. Why else come out, before it has been decided where PH is going to be buried?

Some thoughts on this matter:

I wonder why, given that HM the Queen (and presumably the rest of the family) have known about, and accepted, this for some time, the decision has been released to the press either at all (it could have been announced after his death) and in particular why right now.

I don't seem to be clear about who actually instructed the palace to make the announcement.

While Denmark followed precedents in the UK and The Netherlands regarding the title of Prince Henrik as a consort, it is also the case that precedents exist for the husband of a queen regnant to be a "king", Maria II (da Gloria) and Mary I of England being two examples.

Maybe, in our age of increasing (not there yet) gender equality, there is a logical case for having 'matching' titles of "Queen Consort" and "King Consort" to apply to the spouses of a reigning monarch.

I feel sorry for the Queen that the sorry saga of Prince Henrik's "issues" with his role, title and position are once again the source of public gossip and indignation.

Wherever he's buried, he'll decompose like the rest of us and ultimately, it will be of absolutely no consequence whatsoever.

Yes, but in Denmark there is no precedence for the husband of a monarch being king. There is only one king, the monarch. QMII is a "female king". In the Constitution "the king" = the monarch.
In fact PH is the first prince consort in DRF, ever. Not even QMI, who was really only Regent, had a consort. (She was a widow).

And gender equality. Bah. PH don't give one hoot for gender equality. That's a tool to be used as an argument to further his cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the decades of being a royal follower the very 1st picture I ever saw of a queen was Queen Daisy riding a bike through Copenhagen with her body guards following close behind her.........that made me fall in love with this charming lady who thinks nothing of riding her bike and talking the ordinary people on the streets......I will always love and respect her deeply and now I feel sad for the position her husband has put her in for she gave PH a life that is unknown to the majority of the world, PH had everything handed to him a a sliver/gold platter and then some so IMO I see how deeply QM loves and cherishes her husband over the years and I see PH who loves and cherishes only one person.........PH. He is in love with what he thinks the world or Denmark owes him, everything is about his wishes, his wants and his needs.......this man could care less that his wife wants or this sons want, everything has to be about HIM period for there is no one else that matters to him.......I have had doubts about him over the years and now there is no doubt..........he is a selfish spoiled brat (can I say that here?)/child who takes to stomping his feet when he does not get his own way.

Now is the time to CUT the money that he gets, the people of Denmark and QM deserve better then this from a man who treats them like yesterday's garbage .......cut the money, disband his court, his servants, his way of life and let him to to France and be king of his own chateau so good riddance for now I hope peace and the love of her children and friends will help QM get through this.

Above all I hope that QM does not step down for I and many other would deeply miss her.

Could it be that he thought that if he insisted that he wanted to be buried elsewhere, he could make his wife the queen follow *him*, so she would forsake being buried at Roskilde too, for his sake?
(well, it backfired if he did, but heaven knows what goes on in his mind...)

Is it similar to the UK when it comes to giving a title to a spouse of the King/Queen? Meaning the Queen would have to do it and it be approved etc?

LaRae

QMII is free to bestow any title, she wants to. Or don't bestow it. - Except for the titles of king and crown prince/ss.
In theory she could strip Mary of her CP title tomorrow, if she wanted to.

If I were a Dane I wouldn't want him to repose in Danish soil, having so publicly insulted the Danish Crown, his wife, their marriage and [by extension] the people amongst whom he has lived these MANY years..
FAR better for him to moulder [in deserved obscurity] for eternity in France...

Last edited:
Yes, but in Denmark there is no precedence for the husband of a monarch being king. There is only one king, the monarch. QMII is a "female king". In the Constitution "the king" = the monarch.
In fact PH is the first prince consort in DRF, ever. Not even QMI, who was really only Regent, had a consort. (She was a widow).

And gender equality. Bah. PH don't give one hoot for gender equality. That's a tool to be used as an argument to further his cause.

As I understand it, Denmark had to change its succession laws to allow HM Queen Margrethe II to succeed her father at all. In effect, she is queen only and precisely because rules were rewritten and precedents overuled.
Rules and precdenats can and do change. Gender-blind succession is an example of such a change.

Please don't misunderstand me; I have no intention in any way to defend the Prince's behaviour or attitudes and certainly didn't mean to portray him as a crusader for gender equality!! I'm not interested in the complexes of a man who self-can't handle his wife's dedication to and success in her job/role.

My reflection on a suitable title for a male consort was abstracted from this case. Ultimately, "Prince", "Prince Consort" or "King Consort", it matters not a jot.

Unbelievable. He's literally taking this grudge about his title to the grave.

I'm not entirely certain anymore that his rants are a symptom of dementia. If the Queen and the court are taking his complaints about being buried next to his wife seriously, then they must believe him to be in his right mind when making these decisions. Which means he has no excuse except that he's being a stubborn pig-headed fool.

What drives me absolutely crazy about this man, what makes me detest him, is that he is obsessed with the idea of "gender equality" for himself, and feels entitled to be king, but I have never seen him discuss gender equality for people with real and serious problems.

If this was about equality, he'd be concerned about girls having equal access to education worldwide.

If this was about equality, he'd be concerned about disparate rates of sexual abuse and domestic violence

If it were about equality, he'd be fighting for the rights of people who have far more on the line than he has ever had in his spoiled, cosseted existence. 99.9999999% of the world would kill for the amazing opportunities this man has had the privilege of having, and he's obsessed with why he doesn't have even more, and he'd co-opting the language of serious movements and focusing it on himself.

It's nauseating.

Prince Henrik's petulance is unfortunate. It is unclear what he is trying to accomplish making controversial statements.
I think she would have been better of marrying Prince Michael of Kent
Did Prince Michael of Kent propose to Crown Princess Margrethe?
... [snipped]
Will QMII abdicate? IMO that is now a definite possibility.
If PH continues to make a spectacle of himself and/or he wants to be buried in France, QMII who has a very sense of duty, may feel that she and her husband is now such a big liability for the DRF. In other words this issue overshadows the work the DRF is doing or is getting too embarrassing for the DRF, then I think she might very well decide to step back. To start a new chapter.
When she's no longer the Monarch, then PH's continual rants about being equal is irrelevant as well. PH cannot be equal to his son, the king.
That may very well happen around Frederiks' 50th birthday. And I think that option has been at least considered.
Right now I'll estimate these probability at around 40 %, if PH want's to be buried in France that goes up to 50 or 60 %. If he continues to babble away about how unfairly he has been treated and bou hou, we go up 70 % probability for QMII abdicating ... [snipped]
A grouchy husband is hardly a reason to abdicate. A senior courtier/ grand steward (?) must have a serious conversation with Prince Henrik. That is all.

Last edited:
All I can say is wOw! Definitely an announcement of the unexpected. At least one thing can be said about Prince Henrik is that he took his marriage vows quite seriously. "Until death do us part" - literally. :whistling:

As I cannot find anything at all positive to say about this, I'm just going to state once again, wOw!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom