Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Muhler
So basically they haven's seen each other for more than two months.
That's actually not correct.
They had an event together on 15th January.

Isn't the whole purpose of "retiring" that someone is free and can spend his/her own time? I see millions and millions of retired people doing the same as Prince Henrik, as they have no any work-schedule anymore: they are retired.

That's actually not correct.
They had an event together on 15th January.

You are right. :)

He probably went home to get some fresh socks too. :p

Anyway, I'm not particularly concerned yet, because PH is usually away at this time of year. He doesn't like the Danish winter.

Lars Hovbakke Sørensen may have a point, when he said "what remains of his (PH's) strength".

However, if PH month after month merrily goes goes white-water rafting down the Nile on a monthly basis, people will naturally (and justifiably) ask why he retired.

[...]

However, if PH month after month merrily goes goes white-water rafting down the Nile on a monthly basis, people will naturally (and justifiably) ask why he retired.

Do people ask that too when healthy Danes retire at 60+? Prince Henrik is 80+ even...

:whistling:

Yes, but most Danes, when newly retired, don't spend six weeks away from their wives, enjoying four holidays to different destinations.

Yes, but most Danes, when newly retired, don't spend six weeks away from their wives, enjoying four holidays to different destinations.

But this is nothing new. Prince Henrik always had periods in which he was separated, for an example enjoying the life of a grand seigneur and be a gentilhomme at his Château de Caÿx in his beloved Cahors.

This is certainly not something new but it is not strange that people wonder wether the royal couple has separated to avoid a divorce or not. As a royal, you are not expected to retire like normal people do so it is not strange that there comes questions when someone does

Henrik is free to come and go as he pleases, I think what's going to get questioned is the funding he gets.

Do most healthy Danes retire on a state-funded pension of millions of kroner?...

:whistling:

An awful lot of Danes do. It has an enormous state-funded sector and all former civil servants, military, police, health care workers and name them all enjoy a state-funded pension indeed. And yes, luckily most of them retire in perfectly healthy and active circumstances and enjoy many, many years of retirement.

Last edited:
:previous:

Oh, I don't doubt that retired Danes receive a state-funded pension. Them getting millions of kroner a year (which Henrik is getting - one of the issues bringing criticism) is what I don't believe. This article, though using data from 2013, states the maximum annual state pension in Denmark is 108,000DKK - far far less than what Henrik gets (and that's without even taking in to consideration that he gets a VAT refund!). Henrik is thereby in a different league/category to regular retired Danes, and thus subject to higher levels of criticism.

Henrik is receiving criticism for a number of reasons, a major one being that he is still receiving a large amount of money from the government to essentially do nothing but galavant around the world. The negativity would have been less had it been announced Henrik would be getting less tax-payer funded money now that he is retired.

Last edited:
:previous: But after the announcement of Prince Henrik's retirement...it was indicated that the vast majority of his state benefit goes to the royal couple's fixed costs which include operation of buildings, staff and administration and this is expected to continue.
In addition, Prince Henrik will still take part is some events of an official nature; events at the royal palaces and he still keeps most of his patronages. He will also continue to take part in events of an artistic and cultural nature.
So there is no intention of Prince Henrik to completely disappear.

We are not seeing so much activity now in the winter months...but maybe his activities will increase in the future.

Of course, if for the rest of the year, all Prince Henrik does his travel on vacations...that will be another matter all together.

The German magazine Gala has pics and an article from PH's stay at the hotel in Madeira with a number of friends: http://www.gala.de/royals/skandinavier/prinz-henrik-im-pauschalurlaub-auf-madeira_1398759.html

Normally I don't like such photos - taken without the knowledge of the royals, but I decided to make an exception here because the article quotes a "source" (presumably the one who took the pics) as describing PH as frail.
But the same source also says he was dancing with other guests...
So you be the judge

Anyway, the source also says that apart from what appeared to be two bodyguards, PH blended in with the other guests at the hotel.

Last edited:
PH does look frail and "old man", and has he lost some weight? :ermm:

Frail?

How many holidays has he had since retiring?

I'm much younger and I wouldn't be able to keep up.

Have there been any sightings of the Queen and King Henrik ?

The change in PH's title from the Prince Consort to simply Prince Henrik has completely overshadowed the state visit in the DK media today!
DK is basically a village and while guests are interesting, local gossip is better...:p

In the countless articles and even portraits of PH today, the media have asked just about anyone with a pulse what they think about PH's new title and what it means. - And to sum up: A lot of blah-blah but no one really knows whether this is significant, a knock on the head of PH from an annoyed QMII, a way for PH to fully state that he is now a retiree or simply a new precedent for members of the DRF who officially retire.
The general coverage of PH is however pretty positive. Half a obiturary I'd say or another farewell if you like.

This must come as a blow. Just months ago he was still going on about being king and now he's not even prince consort.

This is being viewed as punitive?

I am confused by the move. I thought him stepping back was being sold as him retiring. But this seems like punishment. Can you imagine if Philip was downgraded to Duke of Edinburgh and lost his Prince title because he has been slowing down in his role :ermm: Maybe there has been too much talk about all the holidays and such he is taking (why he can holiday but too old to accompany his wife any more) and this was a response

This must come as a blow. Just months ago he was still going on about being king and now he's not even prince consort.

This is being viewed as punitive?

Not among the experts and whatever the papers have asked. They have all sorts of interpretations, going from this underlining PH's new status as a retiree, to him making a statement, to this being an indication of "if I can't be king, forget it! I'll just be a ordinary prince".

But the word on the street is leaning towards QMII really putting her foot down and saying "that's it!" to PH. In other words: he was retired rather than retiring.

But again, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Right now I'm beginning to lean more towards QMII having had enough and when PH perhaps again-again talked about rather retiring since he's a nobody anyway, QMII took him at his word, probably leaving him stunned.
I must admit there is a little devil whispering in my ear that PH embarked on his trek hoping he would "be missed" and "called back" and when that didn't happen he returned to DK and took on a couple of official duties to "smooth" things out a bit. But to no avail, he's now officially a retiree. Period!
The DRF can be a pretty stubborn lot! And I think when QMII really gets mad PH, like most husbands, better dive for cover!
I still believe she loves him dearly, but that doesn't mean she can't be mad and act accordingly and PH may have painted himself into a corner. So now he's a mere Prince.

A good story, eh? :p
But to be honest, that's where I stand at the moment and I'm probably wrong. :whistling:

Last edited:
The issue of Henrik's retirement, or whatever it is, has been the rare PR blunder from the Danish royal family and court. It shouldn't have been a surprise announcement in QM's New Years speech. There should have been more clarity provided right from the start regarding the reasons for the retirement and how Henrik planned to spend his time off. At the very least he should have considered not immediately launching into an extended period of international travel. Now the flip flopping with the title.

The only saving grace I can see is that Henrik is old and known to be temperamental, and Frederik and Mary have been gradually playing more prominent roles over the last few years. At least Henrik can be difficult without causing a major disruption in the day to day running of official royal life.

:previous: Unless the decision to make PH a mere Prince was taken after he returned from his walkabout.
Then it makes sense IMO.

Still listening to what my devil on the shoulder whisper in my ear, I can imagine QMII and PH having another "debate" about his status and QMII concluding: "You are retired! You wanted to retire! You let me down! No coming back now, got it?!? - Okay, now let's discuss your title. Prince Henrik has a nice ring to it, hasn't it"?!?

If PH's court and even apanage is slimmed down within the next couple of weeks I think that's another indication of QMII yet again putting her foot down. That will be reinforced if PH does another walkabout or even worse does not appear on the balcony on Saturday.

Had this been a more planned retirement why not announce the change of his title at the New Year speech?

Last edited:
Not among the experts and whatever the papers have asked. They have all sorts of interpretations, going from this underlining PH's new status as a retiree, to him making a statement, to this being an indication of "if I can't be king, forget it! I'll just be a ordinary prince".

But the word on the street is leaning towards QMII really putting her foot down and saying "that's it!" to PH. In other words: he was retired rather than retiring.

But again, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Right now I'm beginning to lean more towards QMII having had enough and when PH perhaps again-again talked about rather retiring since he's a nobody anyway, QMII took him at his word, probably leaving him stunned.
I must admit there is a little devil whispering in my ear that PH embarked on his trek hoping he would "be missed" and "called back" and when that didn't happen he returned to DK and took on a couple of official duties to "smooth" things out a bit. But to no avail, he's now officially a retiree. Period!
The DRF can be a pretty stubborn lot! And I think when QMII really gets mad PH, like most husbands, better dive for cover!
I still believe she loves him dearly, but that doesn't mean she can't be mad and act accordingly and PH may have painted himself into a corner. So now he's a mere Prince.

A good story, eh? :p
But to be honest, that's where I stand at the moment and I'm probably wrong. :whistling:

I think you are correct, Muhler. The Queen called his bluff and that is that.

:previous: I like your theories Muhler. ;)

Maybe they are doing a bit like the Dutch. When Beatrix abdicated she went from Queen back to princess.
Now the Prince Consort has retired so he is back to prince
(apologizes if I got the dutch situation wrong):flowers:

I also lean to the Queen putting her foot down a bit. Making the situation more clear.
And if he does not show up on Saturday, I would support her taking the prince title away and leaving him as simply Henri :lol::whistling:

BT has listed the number of times PH has expressed his... dissatisfaction at his status: Se listen: Så mange gange har prins Henrik brokket sig over sin manglende konge-titel

I won't go into details, but they are listed by year.

----

There are at present three likely scenarios:
A) PH's status is an ongoing process since there is no precedence in DRF-history of anyone retiring. Except for a King Erik who abdicated in the 1200's due to him being paralyzed.
It was also pretty sudden, hence the reason why PH's court, apanage and now title is changing on the go, so to speak. - And that happens in full and peaceful consultations with PH himself.

B) PH had a fit and QMII put her foot down, whereupon PH went on his walkabout and upon returning PH was not received as the prodigal son, but instead QMII called his bluff as Emmily put it. - And QMII is still hopping mad!

C) PH upon returning from his walkabout has been sulking and QMII got really mad this time and took him on his word. Basically demoting him.

- It will be very interesting to see what PH will be doing in the next few weeks:
Will he go on another walkabout within the next couple of weeks?
Will he relocate to Chateau Cayz on a de facto permanent basis?
Will he fail to appear on the balcony on Saturday? Even though he is officially mentioned?
Will his apanage suddenly be cut within the next few weeks?
Will his court suddenly be reduced to only an adjutant and a part-time secretary?

If any or more of the above happens within the next few weeks, it's IMO option B & C.
If not it's more likely to be option A.

Last edited:
:previous: Okay!

But IIRC someone here on this forum wrote somewhere that he was scheduled to appear. The whole family would be there.

UPDATE:

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-henrik-fejrer-dronning-margrethe

BB specifically quote the court's webpage for mentioning that the wording was changed from QMII and family appearing on the balcony to the Regent Couple and family.
Has it now been changed back to QMII and family??
The article is from the 11th this month.

PH risk being crucified by the public if he is seen letting down his wife on her birthday again. Especially if the press points out that he has been mentioned by the court as attending.

Last edited:
:previous: Okay!

But IIRC someone here on this forum wrote somewhere that he was scheduled to appear. The whole family would be there.
I have only read it on the webpage of Billed-Bladet ...

Back
Top Bottom