Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Henrick would be 50 or 70 years old, i would have doubts but he is 82 and at this age?

there is a saying in german 'je oller je doller' what means there's no fox like an old fox ;)

there is a saying in german 'je oller je doller' what means there's no fox like an old fox ;)

And just because there's snow on the roof, it doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the fireplace!

(Snow on the roof refers to an old man's white hair.)

And just because there's snow on the roof, it doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the fireplace!

(Snow on the roof refers to an old man's white hair.)

Indeed, and I believe we have the pharmaceutical industry to credit for that some of that fire. Generally speaking of course, not necessarily the retired king. :eek:

Oh dear hope this isn't the sort of headlines we are going to see from now one.

Well... I'm glad he's enjoying his retirement! And anyone his age should be able to stop working if they want.

That being said, I can't help but think if he's still got the physical and mental stamina to participate in these trips he should be able to maintain a somewhat regular schedule of official duties to help support his wife, who isn't young herself.

Then again, maybe Henrik finally being free to do what he wants is easier on both him and the Queen.

Translated by me:
Prince Henrik is enjoying his retirement to the fullest and has already been on several trips this year.

The Prince Consort is enjoying his well-deserved retirement. Since the Queen announced on New Year's Eve that the Prince Consort wanted to retire, he has been enjoying his retirement to the fullest.

Without having official duties and obligations, the Prince Consort in this way have been able to travel away from the winter cold to warmer climes, and he has taken advantage of that.

Prince Henrik in Naples

First he ran off to Naples, and as soon as he came home from there, he traveled to Egypt. The Prince Consort has been in the country for three weeks, where his good friend, hotelier Enan Galaly has hosted and shown him around the country.

The Prince Consort and Enan Galaly have been friends for several years, and at this time last year, the Prince Consort was also on holiday in Egypt. This time he visited, among others places, Cairo and Alexandria.

This could be just a weird google translation but does it say he was in Egypt for 3 weeks?

Yes!

Last edited:
SO I guess we can surmise that its not ill health or lack of mobility that saw Henrik retire. IMO it looks more likely it was another 'tantrum'.

IMO a 3+ week vacation alone sounds like they are living pretty much separate lives

Only what six weeks into the year and he has been on 3 vacations, 1 that lasted 3 weeks??? Yeah pretty much confirmed 1. king and queen are living apart 2. he didn't retire for health

It just shows what happens when an extremely stubborn old man doesn't get his own way, I suppose. Nice that Henrik is enjoying lengthy holidays in hot climes but I can't see that he has been much support to his wife or family since the announcement.

For all we know, this arrangement may bring the most happiness ever to their marriage. He does what makes him happy and she does what makes her happy and when they get together they have interesting things to talk about and share with each other.

Just on an offside note. If I had the chance and the opportunity to visit and explore Egypt, I think I would honestly need a few months to explore and see everything I'd want to see. :D

:previous: I agree, on both counts.

He played the game for 48 years and probably thinks he's entitled to some "me" time. If their marriage is over in all but name, so be it. If this is a way for them to continue to stay married and to be happy when they are together, I suppose it's not a bad thing for him to be off exploring the world like this. Margrethe might be breathing a sigh of relief.

To be able to spend three weeks in Egypt when money is no object would be wonderful.

Last edited:
He played the game for 48 years and probably thinks he's entitled to some "me" time.

I've always had the impression, that he has had lots of "me" time,
many holidays with friends. I can't remember ever seeing anything about QM and PH on holiday together, except for France in August.

I agree with Nordic.
During most of their marriage, at least since their sons became adults QMII and PH have most of the time been on separate holidays.

It's difficult for me to understand, but it seems to be working for them. Because by all accounts they appear to have a warm and loving relationship when they are together.

It's no secret that PH don't like being in DK during the winter months, so he is usually traveling by himself around this time of year.

And I don't believe in QMII and PH being de facto separated but the "me-time" that one I believe!
Being pampered at luxury-hotels as the owner's honored guest? Oh yes, PH has a lot of "me-time" these days!

Perhaps it's their separate travels that keeps the spark in their marriage alive? PH always have something to tell when he comes back, some new inspiration for a recipe, some new inspiration for art.

- But, there is always a but, if he continues to be seen traveling all over the world, having a merry time for another say six months, the public will naturally ask why a man who is now so old and frail can no longer accompany his wife on at least a part of the summer cruise, while having the strength to go trekking in the Amazonas.
So I have a feeling this thread will be alive and well next year as well...

Last edited:
:previous: I agree, on both counts.

He played the game for 48 years and probably thinks he's entitled to some "me" time. If their marriage is over in all but name, so be it. If this is a way for them to continue to stay married and to be happy when they are together, I suppose it's not a bad thing for him to be off exploring the world like this. Margrethe might be breathing a sigh of relief.

To be able to spend three weeks in Egypt when money is no object would be wonderful.

I agree completely that after 48 years he deserves "me" time. However, I think it says something about someones character when they are happy to retire and take that "me" time knowing full well their partner for all that time can't and will carry on working.

Sorry but I dont like the idea about me time being shoved into peoples faces. Prince Philip would certainly have a good laugh about it. Royalty is for life, at least in denmark, its a difference between cutting short because of old age and doing luxurious holidays because one has lost the spirit. It must have been Really Bad at the end so the family and danes are just happy to see the back of Ph.

Married couples know what is best for their relationship. The Queen and Henrik probably prefer their life this way. It does not mean their marriage is over they simply enjoy separate things sometimes this is the most peaceful way of life for them.

Marriage is a totally artificial construct, created by society for a variety of reasons.

Human beings who have been together for 50 years are different people from the people they were when they first got together and fell victim to the lust that brought them together in the the first place. If they married for love, that is. Some couples who are drawn together by lust/love find that they actually do have a lot in common and when that early lust wears off they become firm friends and are more than happy to stay together and work together towards the common goals they find they share. But others drift apart because they should never really have been together in the first place but were blinded/trapped by "love" and society's expectations, and after they were trapped they found themselves increasingly drawn to the things that define them as individuals but which they learned they did not share with their spouse. I pity rather than criticise people who find themselves in that situation. because it is far too easy to be blindsided when you are young and under pressure from all quarters to partner off.

I have a feeling that Henrik and Margrethe are one of those couples who should never have been together in the first place, and I think they should now - before it is too late - have the chance to do what they really want to do. For Margrethe the choices are limited by her obligations, but I don't see why her husband should be similarly stymied merely because he is her husband. 50 years is enough.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #07, 2016.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Who has written the only DRF article with a bit of substance this week!

PH has been in Egypt for the past three weeks, along with his brother Etienne de Montpezat and his wife, Isabelle. Here the have been guests at the hotels of PH's very good friend, Enan Galaly (*) who has also accompanied PH on his walkabout in Egypt.

PH has visited the pyramids, the market in Cairo, Khan el Khalili, the temple Abu Simbel in Aswan as well as going cycling in Alexandria. While in Alexandria he visited the largest Coptic church, San Marco, there and met the cardinal.
(IIRC the Copts constitute almost 10 % of the population of Egypt).

PH also visited Enan Galaly in Egypt around this time last year.

Enan Galaly says to BB: "We've had a really lovely trip. We have experienced a lot and been very active. It's been fantastic and the weather has also been really nice. It's one of our best trips together".

(*) The Egyptian Enan Galaly is a story in his own right and certainly worth admiring. He was among the first immigrant workers who came to DK some 45-50 years ago. And he literally worked himself up from nothing to become owner of several large hotels in DK, Egypt and elsewhere in the world.
His wife's name is Margrethe BTW.

He's a prima donna and it's a good thing this "retirement" I have always thought he really is a drawback and frankly good job another think for The Queen to not have to worry about but of course this is only IMO

I've always had the impression, that he has had lots of "me" time,
many holidays with friends. I can't remember ever seeing anything about QM and PH on holiday together, except for France in August.
I agree. I always thought that qm and Ph were a Love match. Given that he has always had enough of me time the retirement strikes me as strange and unnecessary. There must be something else involved.

He's a prima donna and it's a good thing this "retirement" I have always thought he really is a drawback and frankly good job another think for The Queen to not have to worry about but of course this is only IMO

That's a sentiment shared by quite a few Danes!

And that number will grow if he continues to travel around like this, without showing signs of particular health problems.

But turning the whole thing around, PH having his brother and wife accompanying can also be interpreted as them keeping an eye on him.
We'll see.

Anyway, it sure has its advantages being PH's adjutant these days! You get to see the world for free.

The newssite Avisen.dk Historiker: Prins Henriks millioner er en provokation - Avisen.dk

Has published a survey made by Wike (which I've never heard about before BTW) and that survey is based on replies by 1.004 Danes (according to BT)
Flertal til pensionisten prins Henrik: Gå ned i løn - Avisen.dk
In that 62 % believe PH's apanage should be cut, 23 % believe he should keep his apanage as it is now.

A historian, Sebastian Olden-Jørgensen comments. I've never heard about him before but I think his views are pretty consistent with what I hear on the streets.
(I've omitted comments from Trine Villemann as I find her hypocritical and from a Sørine Gotfredsen, because she's a professional opinionmaker, who talk about things she doesn't necessarily know anything about).

Sebastian Olden says: "If he maintains that you can even go on retirement if you are a royal, it must be reasonable that you, just like everybody else, reduce your income a bit.
Of course he shouldn't be living on water and bread. But here they have chosen not even to have a symbolic cut and that's a provocation".

That doesn't mean the DRF will become more unpopular: "If you look at the DRF as a family business, it's rather going to be even more popular from this. Because it will create both sympathy and compassion in people, when Queen Margrethe continue to work as before.
It's a demonstrative fulfilling of her obligations on her behalf. That calls for respect. The sympathy for Prince Henrik will reach new depths, but it has been going down for a long time now. But what is taken from him, she gets".

Sebastian Olden doesn't believe it's hard for royals to remain popular as long as they don't do anything wrong: "As royal you don't have to do much for sympathy to carry you along. You just have to play along. - But with unique marksmanship he has with regular intervals come up with these remarks about for example the title as royal, and now there is the retirement. In assessing him it's very serious, but not for the DRF. Because she is the carrying factor/the one who carries it".

While no one knows what's behind the retirement, Sebastian Olden has a guess: "My guess is that he wanted the Queen to also abdicate. Then she's said - no, I'll continue. - He's said - then it's without me, - and then she's said - well, then it will be without you".
The Queen did emhasize that it was his choice. She might just as well have said, - we decided, - but she said it was his choice. So it's pretty clear it wasn't a common decision".

- I don't believe PH wanted to abdicate, neither alone nor with QMII. That would mean he would have to make room for Frederik. Other fathers would have been proud to let their son take over but not PH.
If PH had another tantrum, I believe he issued an ultimatum: Either he's made king or he retires, so QMII would have no other option but to accept his resignation.
If QMII recommends to the government that PH's apanage is cut by even one DKK, he would blow a fuse! So for the sake of peace in the family I think she's decided to let him keep his full apanage and accept the bad press.

If, repeat if, the tantrum version of PH's retirement is true, it's interesting to speculate about QMII's feelings.
With her very strong sense of duty and belief that her position is for life, would she feel betrayed and abandoned by PH? I think so. Hurt too I'm sure.
She has always adored her Henri, but will she forgive him for that one?
It has been suggested both in the press and here on TRF that this is a de facto divorce.
Whatever, it sure will be interesting to watch the interaction between QMII and PH in the coming months.
If PH is never at home anymore or only for very short periods and the interaction between them has become colder, (QMII is a poor hypocrite) then perhaps the tantrum-theory is correct?

I do not recall this sort of nasty and vile comments on royals in comparable situations. Like Grand-Duke Jean, Queen Juliana, Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte, Queen Elizabeth (the Queen-Mother), Prince Bernhard, King Juan Carlos, etc. Sometimes the Danes can be quite nasty people. Not only in these royal matters but just in general, seeing the mood in society these days. Bleegh!

:previous: Easy now!
This is about PH and the DRF.

Not about current politics and general moods in various countries. Kindly keep in mind that when you point a finger at someone, three fingers point back at you. - So let's not turn this debate into an inter-tribal row, please!

-----------

Queen Elizabeth AFAIK didn't officially retire.
King Juan Carlos, didn't retire, he abdicated for the good of the Spanish royal family and the country. He always put his country first.
Prince Bernhard, IIRC was ill.
In the Netherlands there is a tradition for abdicating. (A thing I think is worth considering in the future here as well, but that's another discussion).
As for the Luxembourghs, my knowledge about their traditions is too limited.

Last edited:
I think the difference is they all left the stage with grace and dignity, Henrik kicked up a fuss for years about wanting the title 'king' and this seems to be part of that.
If he had left with grace and dignity the media and public reaction would, I have no doubt, been different.

And to add to Muhler's point, there is a tradition for abdicating in Luxembourg, Grand Duke Jean carried this on in 2000, feeling the start of a new millennium was the right time for a new reign.

Last edited:
:previous: I don't think Juan Carlos left with grace but was more forced out after his scandal with killing an elephant but this is not the thread for that ;)

Thanks Muhler for the new poll. I too don't believe Henrik wanted the Queen to abdicate. He would explode in jealousy seeing Frederik go from #2 to #1.

I guess we will have to see how the rest of the year plays out. I do hope the Queen is getting support.

And Duc_et_Pair your comment was insulting and says alot about you than the Danes.

Back
Top Bottom