Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

I don't think anyone needs *blue blood* or *noble blood* to be royal. There are some kings that are not very royal and yet they have in-laws that are very noble. Sorry for being off topic here mods, Mary has upheld her position with strong will and self determination to be the very best wife/mother for Prince Frederik. She has done an amazing job and continues to do so each day when she is on the job. It is not all about pretty clothes, jewels, servants or castles, it is about commitment to the people of a country that she was not even born in which says a lot about her strength as a woman and courage to tackle this job. She looks amazing tonight, I love the idea of what was created for her to wear, hats off to Princess Mary and her designer, great job.

Henrik has an ego in that respect. I think there is a separate thread about his lineage and this whole 'Count of Monpezat' issue that the Queen finally granted in 2008 after Henrik had been whining about his noble family ties.
This whole family thing from his side has been very shady - but he couldn't live with being 'commoner'. First it was 'I am a Count', - a concession the Queen made - then 'I want to be King' but he couldn't pull through with that.

Henrik has an ego in that respect. I think there is a separate thread about his lineage and this whole 'Count of Monpezat' issue that the Queen finally granted in 2008 after Henrik had been whining about his noble family ties.
This whole family thing from his side has been very shady - but he couldn't live with being 'commoner'. First it was 'I am a Count', - a concession the Queen made - then 'I want to be King' but he couldn't pull through with that.

Uncanny,whining and tiresome thing this creature...really,if shady is a state of mind Henrik is the champion.

Sick or not, at the end of the day he could have scaled down his duties in a dignified way without all the fuss, attention and talk about retirement.

There have been comments about Henrik coming from 'noble' blood and Mary being a 'commoner'. When you consider his continued bad behaviour over the years compared to the way that Mary has always conducted herself in a manner that is beyond reproach IMO she is the 'noble' one.

In comparison with her father-in-law, Mary is just a newcomer. She is married for some more than a decade now. In his first decade Messire Henri de Laborde de Monpezat, a goodlooking James Bond look-a-like, formed a beloved family with two boys. Note that Prince Henrik has been one of the most popular members of the royal family until his antics started to play up somewhat more (he has always held a personal independence, an own character and eccentricities, probably that is why Margrethe loves him so much). Come back when the marriage of Mary has lasted 50 years too and she is around 80 years old and then make your judgement, please...

:whistling:

Margrethe de Danemark & Henri de Laborde de Monpezat

Uncanny,whining and tiresome thing this creature...really,if shady is a state of mind Henrik is the champion.

Your words are extremely unfair, petty and narrowminded, I am sorry to say. No insult intended. Henri has been married to Margrethe for almost 50 years and has been an excellent and colourful Prince of Denmark. In comparison with a fellow-consort as Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, with his extramarital daughters, his court-intrigues, his Lockheed bribery, his flings with dicators and his meddling with politics, Prince Henrik has been a most outstanding and exemplaric Prinsgemalen!

:flowers:

He did not say "I want to be King". He remarked to the fact that female spouses were treated differently to male spouses and he was right with that conclusion indeed.

:previous:

I don't think anyone needs *blue blood* or *noble blood* to be royal. There are some kings that are not very royal and yet they have in-laws that are very noble.

In the end of the story: if it all does not matter anymore if someone is royal or noble. Please, can we then vote for our own commoner whom we assess as being the best to be our head-of-state and not leave it to two commoners accidentally making a baby?

[...] It is not all about pretty clothes, jewels, servants or castles, it is about commitment to the people of a country that she was not even born in which says a lot about her strength as a woman and courage to tackle this job. She looks amazing tonight, I love the idea of what was created for her to wear, hats off to Princess Mary and her designer, great job.

This is a contradictio in terminis. First you place the clear statement that it is not all about clothes, jewels, etc. Then you end it with the conclusion that she looked amazing, that you liked what was created for her to wear and you took your hat off to Princess Mary and her designer.....

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think 'shady' is the right word, it suggests something dodgy IMO. His paternal family did have comital ancestors, however their privileges were lost or dropped at some point! I once found a piece on the comital Montpezats on the internet, maybe it's still there!

In 1966 Henri de Montpezat was introduced to the Danes as a 'count', and there's no doubt in my mind that Queen Ingrid was the architect behind this! This was still a time and age when royals were expected to marry -if not royalty - then something 'blueblooded'!
Something similar happened a year later when Princess Benedikte got engaged to 'Prince' (Fürst!) Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. While there's no doubt about RzSWB's lineage, he knew as well as anyone that noble titles had been abolished in Germany and that they can only be part of a name, as it is in his case! He probably only went along with this 'deceit' in order to please his mother-in-law. He was never impressed by life at the Palace.

Thus the Berleburgs are 'princes' and 'princesses' according to the Danish royal Court. However Natalie never uses her title when she's taking part in equestrial events in Denmark.
Go figure!

viv

Last edited:
In the end of the story: if it all does not matter anymore if someone is royal or noble. Please, can we then vote for our own commoner whom we assess as being the best to be our head-of-state and not leave it to two commoners accidentally making a baby?

This is a contradictio in terminis. First you place the clear statement that it is not all about clothes, jewels, etc. Then you end it with the conclusion that she looked amazing, that you liked what was created for her to wear and you took your hat off to Princess Mary and her designer.....

Thank you for pointing that out to me and yet this.... contradictio in terminis, I don't see it that way. Being in the position that Mary or any commoner that marries into a royal must appear well dressed for all events that they attend. This event was part of her job, she had to look the part, play the part and be the part, JMO, and she does it well, very well in fact. Even though she does not do dishes, wash clothes like most of us, she has work to do, and I bet there are lots of meeting each day for everything that goes on, reports to read before each event so that a royal knows the people attending and what the event is all about, lots of behind the scenes work that is done that is never talked about. Been there on a smaller scale, so it is not all about clothes, jewels, and all the perks that go with the job/position that anyone of them have. And most of all it is okay to disagree with anyone here, that makes for good conversation and brings forth new ideas to the table. So Thank You for your comment to me...:):flowers:

Sorry we got off topic and that is a no no!

Last edited:
I don't think 'shady' is the right word, it suggests something dodgy IMO. His paternal family did have comital ancestors, however their privileges were lost or dropped at some point! I once found a piece on the comital Montpezats on the internet, maybe it's still there!

In 1966 Henri de Montpezat was introduced to the Danes as a 'count', and there's no doubt in my mind that Queen Ingrid was the architect behind this! This was still a time and age when royals were expected to marry -if not royalty - then something 'blueblooded'!
Something similar happened a year later when Princess Benedikte got engaged to 'Prince' (Fürst!) Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. While there's no doubt about RzSWB's lineage, he knew as well as anyone that noble titles had been abolished in Germany and that they can only be part of a name, as it is in his case! He probably only went along with this 'deceit' in order to please his mother-in-law. He was never impressed by life at the Palace.

Thus the Berleburgs are 'princes' and 'princesses' according to the Danish royal Court. However Natalie never uses her title when she's taking part in equestrial events in Denmark.
Go figure!

viv

That the noble titles were scrapped in Germany and France is of no relevance for most Courts. When Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme died, the Dutch Court communicated the death of the Duke of Parma and Piacenza. See link. This while Parma and Piacenza are regions in republican Italy.

There is written documentation (a Letters Patent) that in 1655 Louis XIV of France has elevated Jean de Laborde (owner of Beaufranc, married to Catherine d'Arricau, owner of Monpezat) into the nobility. In contrary to the image of Louis as an absolutist and all-powerful Sovereign, ennoblements had to complete an administrative process and be admitted by the local authority of residence, in this case the États du Béarn (the States of the Béarn).

The family De Laborde de Monpezat failed to complete this process. So it hangs in a twilight zone: are they noble? De facto yes, because the King has elevated them into the nobility in 1655. De iure no because they did not fulfill the admission process. Anyway, seen the prominent role of the De Laborde de Monpezats in the Béarn, we may assume they belonged to the local haute société there anyway. So it goes too far, as some posters do, to blame Henri for "faking" his nobility. The Letters Patent by Louis XIV are not faked.

The resistance by the Béarn is old and is still apparent as the region is part of former Navarra and the Pays Basque, with strong separatist tendencies at both sides of the Pyrenées (France and Spain). King Louis XIII ended the independent position of the Béarn and made it an integral part of France. However Béarn kept some privileges, like the formal admission of decrets from Paris: they had to be translated into Occitan, the local dialect. (This remained so until the French Revolution!). By filibustering administrative processes and admissions "from Paris" (like the ennoblement of the De Laborde de Monpezats), the États du Béarn opposed and resisted and frustrated decisions unilaterally made by "Paris", without their involvement.

Last edited:
He did not say "I want to be King". He remarked to the fact that female spouses were treated differently to male spouses and he was right with that conclusion indeed.

That is correct and he has a point, we've discussed this at length in this thread
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f178/prince-henrik-i-should-be-king-discussion-38248.html

As Queen Consorts like Silva, Maxima are labelled 'Queen' in public, he was asking for him as title 'King Consort' what does not exist for the male spouse of a female monarch.
Prince Consort Henrik: 'I should be king' - The Local

He thoroughly embarrassed his wife last year, in public, behavior not acceptable in a nobleman or gentleman, imo

The best decision I could get Prince Henrik. So take part in any event wants without anyone apologizing for "where's Prince Henrik?" :)

The best decision I could get Prince Henrik. So take part in any event wants without anyone apologizing for "where's Prince Henrik?" :)

Like at the wedding of Queen Margrethe's Godson,King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima,on february 2nd 2002.He stayed away as he felt he wasn't halve as important as he thought he was with Frederik as numero two and him trailing after his eldest son.Really,he never had/nor has/nor will ever have a clue of what a position at a Court contains.A two legged embarrasment!!

He thoroughly embarrassed his wife last year, in public, behavior not acceptable in a nobleman or gentleman, imo

At least he only "embarrassed" his wife with sometimes falling out of his royal decorum. This apparently did not stop Margrethe to adore Henri to bits. Other royals embarrassed their wifes with maîtresses, or extramarital children or even with bribery, nepotism, corruption, political machinations or shady friends. So, gosh gosh... what a horror this French gentleman has been, in his almost 50 years as Prince of Denmark....

In retrospect Henri has been an excellent Prince of Denmark, a colourful gentilhomme with eccentrics, whom never stopped to see himself as a true and proud Pater Familias.

[...] Really,he never had/nor has/nor will ever have a clue of what a position at a Court contains.A two legged embarrasment!!

It is a pity that you conclude almost 50 years of being a Prince of Denmark into the absence of the Prince on a wedding... Come on! No word about his work for Europa Nostra (the preservation of Europe's cultural patrimonium), his contribution to literature, his promotion of the fine arts (for an example by establishing a famous sculpture Park near Marselisborg), for writing music even which has been played by symphony orchestras, for his efforts to restore a ruïnous Château into splendid state with a well-working vinery (other royals simply buy a holiday-villa and that is it) and most importantly: simply being there, being Queen Margrethe's loyal spouse, being Denmark's Prinsgemalen, being a dedicated father, grandfather and father-in-law, providing a stable base for the Queen and two future Kings.

In retrospect Henri has been an excellent Prince of Denmark, a colourful gentilhomme with eccentrics, whom never stopped to see himself as a true and proud Pater Familias.

I am not sure he'd comfirm this when asked. He once said in an interview that he has to ALWAYS control himself since he became a Prince of Denmark. I don't see him being content or satisfied when looking back (even if he had reason to), not at all, I rather see him bitter and misunderstood.

I am not sure he'd comfirm this when asked. He once said in an interview that he has to ALWAYS control himself since he became a Prince of Denmark. I don't see him being content or satisfied when looking back (even if he had reason to), not at all, I rather see him bitter and misunderstood.

I think he can be very satisfied. He has -and now both de facto and de iure- vested a comital dynasty bearing his surname. Back then in the 17th Century, his direct ancestor Jean de Laborde, owner of Beaufranc, whom married Cathérine d'Arricau, Dame de Monpezat, would never, ever have guessed that once his direct male lineage descendants will occupy the throne of the oldest monarchy of Europe and that the proud arms of the De Laborde de Monpezats would be depicted on Denmark's royal arms...

Very well done, Messire!

:lol:

I think he can be very satisfied. He has -and now both de facto and de iure- vested a comital dynasty bearing his surname. Back then in the 17th Century, his direct ancestor Jean de Laborde, owner of Beaufranc, whom married Cathérine d'Arricau, Dame de Monpezat, would never, ever have guessed that once his direct male lineage descendants will occupy the throne of the oldest monarchy of Europe and that the proud arms of the De Laborde de Monpezats would be depicted on Denmark's royal arms...

Very well done, Messire!

Rest assured he is very satisfied with himself.

If so, that satisfaction seems fully deserved to me.

Oh, absolutely.. who else was going to infuse the Danish royals with such noble French blood?

Well, if we go by the old patrilineal naming conventions, Frederik, when he ascends the Danish throne, will be the first monarch of the new royal House of Monpezat. Giving his family name to the royal dynasty of Europe's oldest monarchy is indeed quite an achievement for Henri.

Last edited:

Exactly! His behavior speaks for itself. He should retire completely but then he would not have a forum to continue to embarrass his wife and family.

Very well done, Messire!

Yes, you would think that but his behavior is not that of a satisfied man. His behavior is that of a very unhappy man. You don't have to have a medical degree to work that one out.

At the end of the day no amount of 'noble' blood excuses this.

Well, if we go by the old patrilineal naming conventions, Frederik, when he ascends the Danish throne, will be the first monarch of the new royal House of Monpezat. Giving his family name to the royal dynasty of Europe's oldest monarchy is indeed quite an achievement for Henri.

On the Crown Princely Couple's defunct website, it was written:
Den dag kronprins Frederik bliver konge af Danmark, vil han være den sjette regent af den glücksborgske linje, som overtog tronen da Christian 9. blev konge efter den barnløse Frederik 7. i 1863.

The day Crown Prince Frederik ascends the throne of Denmark he will be the sixth monarch in the line of Glücksborg, a family which took the Danish throne when Christian IX was crowned after Frederik VII died without an heir in 1863.

I agree with your post. He is hardly a role model for consorts.

I think the most important person in PH's world is... (drum-roll) PH himself.

Don't get me wrong, it's not malice, probably not even a grandiose perception of himself. That's just the way his character was formed and how he has seen himself all his life.
I could write about 8.000 words about why I think so.
To be brief: I've met such people before, very up close actually.
It's not malice, not even selfishness. It's a kind of self-absorbment. A person like PH has huge problems comprehending that the he isn't the most important person in the room (despite trivialities like protocol, which he will go along with because "it's just for show") at any time.
To him this is natural thing, a matter of fact and he cannot understand why other people don't share his own view of himself.
That means the criticism and what he will see as lack of acknowledgement genuinely hurts!
And when he doesn't get the attention he truly believe he deserves, he will sulk and whine.

In short: I believe PH see himself as the most important character in the show that is his life.
There are others who have realized that we are only extras in the big show or at best supporting cast to the main character, our wife. :p
And I believe Frederik, just like his grandfather Frederik IX, is perfectly contend and indeed happy with the supporting role as husband to Mary.
It's certainly the impression I get when you see them together.

Thus ends this short venture into the realm of psychology. :)

Last edited:
Has there been any news on where the Prince Consort will retire to ,possibly the Château de Cayx?

Don't get me wrong, it's not malice, probably not even a grandiose perception of himself. That's just the way his character was formed and how he has seen himself all his life.
I could write about 8.000 about why I think so.
It's not malice, not even selfishness. It's a kind of self-absorbment. A person like PH has huge problems comprehending that the he isn't the most important person in the room (despite trivialities like protocol, which he will go along with because "it's just for show") at any time.
To him this is natural thing, a matter of fact and he cannot understand why other people don't share his own view of himself.
That means the criticism and what he will see as lack of acknowledgement genuinely hurts!
And when he doesn't get the attention he truly believe he deserves, he will sulk and whine.

In short: I believe PH see himself as the most important character in the show that is his life.
There are others who have realized that we are only extras in the big show or at best supporting cast to the main character, our wife. :p
And I believe Frederik, just like his grandfather Frederik IX, is perfectly contend and indeed happy with the supporting role as husband to Mary.

Oh excellent post.. I have known 2 people who fit your description and you are so right. It's like the world should revolve around them and truly don't understand why it doesn't

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

On the Crown Princely Couple's defunct website, it was written:

I am aware of that and that is why, in my previous post, I wrote: "if we go by the old patrilineal naming conventions."

Frederik may choose to keep the dynasty's name, as Queen Juliana, Queen Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander also chose to do in the Netherlands. That doesn't change the fact though that, using the old naming convention, the dynasty changes every time it becomes extinct in male line. Although there are still living descendants in male line of King Christian X, Denmark's decision to switch to cognatic primogeniture giving Queen Margrethe II precedence in the succession over her uncle means that Frederik will begin a new dynasty when he ascends the throne, whether that is officially acknowledged or not.

A controversial topic indeed.

This is the best Solution for every Member of the Royal Family of Denmark.

There is no hate in this Family , he remains a good husband , a good Father and an excellent Grand Pa.

May He have quiet days and a happy end of his life.

I agree with your post. He is hardly a role model for consorts.

I think he was a fantastic role model for consorts. He managed to get an own independent profile, apart from his charismatic and flamboyant spouse. He could life the life of a grand gentilhomme, he enjoyed all royal trappings to the fullest, found himself back as the undisputed Pater Familias of a family he visibly loves to bits. He could enjoy his hobbies like his beloved Gravhunden (Dachshunds), writing poetry in French, making and even composing music, being a mecenas for the arts (the sculpture park near Marselisborg), lead the life of a countryside gentleman (the annual hunts), having a great château with vineyards in the Cahors and last-but-not-least, his De Laborde de Monpezat son and grandson will head Europe's eldest monarchy... One could do worser as a Consort. Plenty of examples of quite problematic royal consorts (Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands) or the total opposite: royal consorts vegetating in the mighty shadow of a strong-willed Sovereign (Félix de Luxembourg, Heinrich of the Netherlands) or royal consorts feeling bored in marriage and starting liaisons dangereux (Diana of Wales). In that sense there is little to nag about in Henri's 50 long and eventful years as Prince of Denmark.

I am aware of that and that is why, in my previous post, I wrote: "if we go by the old patrilineal naming conventions."

Frederik may choose to keep the dynasty's name, as Queen Juliana, Queen Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander also chose to do in the Netherlands. That doesn't change the fact though that, using the old naming convention, the dynasty changes every time it becomes extinct in male line. Although there are still living descendants in male line of King Christian X, Denmark's decision to switch to cognatic primogeniture giving Queen Margrethe II precedence in the succession over her uncle means that Frederik will begin a new dynasty when he ascends the throne, whether that is officially acknowledged or not.

A controversial topic indeed.

It is partly officially acknowledged since also in Denmark, like in the Netherlands and Luxembourg, the paternal surname has been included to mark their descendance. Also the paternal arms have been included in the royal arms.

Luxembourg:
Jean is also Prince de Bourbon de Parme (son of Félix)
Henri is also Prince de Bourbon de Parme (son of Jean)
Guillaume is also Prince de Bourbon de Parme (son of Henri)
The personal Arms of the Grand-Duke include the Arms of the royal family De Bourbon de Parme

Netherlands:
Juliana was also Duchess of Mecklenburg (daughter of Heinrich)
Beatrix is also Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld (daugher of Bernhard)
Willem-Alexander is also Jonkheer van Amsberg (son of Claus)
The personal Arms of the King include the Arms of the noble family Von Amsberg (heartshield)

Denmark:
The sons and grandchildren of Prince Henrik are created Count (Countess) de Monpezat. The personal arms show the Arms of De Laborde de Monpezat in the heartshield.

United Kingdom:
The surname of male-line descendants of Queen Elizabeth II and Philip Mountbatten is Mountbatten-Windsor. The arms of his sons however do not have a reference to their father's Greco-Danish arms.

So, while keeping the name of the royal dynasty intact (Nassau in Luxembourg, Orange-Nassau in the Netherlands, etc.) it is clear that the "contribution" of the royal fathers to the dynasty often is recognized in names, styles and arms.

I could write about 8.000 words about why I think so.

I completely agree with you this sums up Henrik perfectly.

I have of late myself compared Frederik and Mary to Frederik and Ingrid. Mary is an Ingrid, she is the one who holds the family together. Much like the Queen Mother with George VI. These are the type of people who hold royal dynasties together.

That is the viewpoint of people who only acknowledge patrilineal dynasties, but because the Queen and Crown Prince are seemingly not of this view, it is unlikely that the Prince Consort will give his family name to the dynasty besides the title Count of Monpezat.

I fail to understand why Prince Henrik whined/whines about his situation. He was aware of his status, when he married the Heiress Presumptive to the Danish throne. Hopefully Prince Henrik will enjoy his retirement and refrain from comments.

Last edited:

When you marry a queen consort the reality is that your children are not going to carry your name. Or at least not as the official one. Philip faced this when his kids are Windsors and not Mountbattans. Claus knew his sons would be Orange-Nassau's and not vonAmsburgs. Daniel's kids with Vic are Bernadottes and not Westlings.

That is the viewpoint of people who only acknowledge patrilineal dynasties, but because the Queen and Crown Prince are seemingly not of this view, it is unlikely that the Prince Consort will give his family name to the dynasty besides the title Count of Monpezat.

For centuries the patrineal line has been followed in e-ve-ry genealogical tree but suddenly now we must ignore history and turn a blind eye to reality. As a monarchy is a form of state in which the heir is delivered via hereditary succession inside an approved marriage, we can not erase history simply because it is 2016.

Prince Carl Philip was the Crown Prince and is the next generation in the direct male lineage of all those Bernadotte Kings before him. The procreation of the real and direct royal Bernadotte line goes via his children. To confuse things Estelle Westling, Leonore O'Neill and Nicholas O'Neill are now suddenly created "Bernadotte" and it is Estelle O'Neill, pardon eh... Bernadotte, who will bypass her uncle, once the Crown Prince and the Heir indeed, and with her a new patrineal dynasty will start on the throne of Sweden. To make the confusion complete: her father's unmissable contribution to her whole existence is ignored. Westling does not exist. Bernadotte is the name...

With the same effect we can say that with Doña Leonor's eldest child, when she does not marry a Bourbon, the centuries old rule of the royal Bourbon dynasty in Spain will come to an end. To acknowledge the paternal input but to preserve the name of the historical dynasty, the descendants of Prince Henrik are also Count (Countess) de Monpezat. The descendants of the late Prince Claus are also Count (Countess) van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. The descendants of the late Prince Félix are also Prince (Princess) de Bourbon de Parme.

So yes, artificially the name of the dynasty is maintained (Bernadotte, Orange-Nassau, Nassau, etc.) but at least the paternal input has been made visible in adding the surname, title and arms of the father, precizely to maintain some logic and credibility in following the genalogy of the royal dynasty. I am happy that Denmark, Luxembourg and the Netherlands have included the male surnames in the titulature. Too bad that Sweden somehow seems to have forgotten Westling in this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom