The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts about Prince Henrik's hospitalisation have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5-a-39562.html thread.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Muhler, didn't Henrik believe in the saying 'Spare the rod and spoil the child' when his boys were growing up? I believe the adult Frederik has made reference to the use of his father's physical punishments on one or two occasions, including a speech on a family occasion when his parents were present.
Something like that, absolutely. That was evident back in the 70's when it was still acceptable to smack your children on the cheek if they misbehaved.

And Frederik said: "Den man tugter, elsker man, siges det. Far, vi var aldrig i tvivl om din kærlighed til os". = The one you chastise (physically or otherwise) you love, it is said. Dad, we were never in doubt of your love to us".
- So yes, they had an upbringing with considerable discipline.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:16 AM
Majesty

The Cahors and the Béarn regions where Henri de Laborde de Montpezat and his family originates are amongst the most "la France profonde", let us say: the deepest France.

It is a mix of rural pride, deep attachment to traditions, catholicism and a dislike of the hegemony of Paris. Typically such a region where le père is still the Pater Familias, without neglecting the formidable authority of the wives and mothers, by the way.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Cahors and the Béarn regions where Henri de Laborde de Montpezat and his family originates are amongst the most "la France profonde", let us say: the deepest France.

It is a mix of rural pride, deep attachment to traditions, catholicism and a dislike of the hegemony of Paris. Typically such a region where le père is still the Pater Familias, without neglecting the formidable authority of the wives and mothers, by the way.
Which includes grandmothers, I presume? I remember Joachim asking our Marie's grandmother to ensure her support before marrying Marie.
Joachim is a stickler for formalities and showing respect for the matriarch of the family in that way is I understand the proper thing to do, certainly in that part of France?

The tribal gossip back in the 70's and 80's here in DK says it was Queen Ingrid who, shall we say, corrected PH when he made a mistake in regards to the protocol. - Like going in front of his wife. I imagine he would have had an tremendous respect for Queen Ingrid who was very much the matriarch of the DRF.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #38, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

PH's valet for many years, Anker Andersen, has written an autobiography, encouraged by PH.

The now 85 year old, Anker Andersen, served the DRF for 40 year. 33 of them as valet for PH.
During those years he has of course been almost as close as you can be to both King Frederik IX - and his wife, Queen Ingrid. And PH, and as such also QMII. But also King Harald and Queen Sonja, to whom he was seconded when they were visiting DK.
He retired in 1999 and on hearing that Queen Sonja, kissed him on both cheeks and thanked him. The sight of that made the former Chief of Court, Søren Haslund Christensen to dryly remark: "Well Anker, it's probably a good thing you are retiring, now that you've started fraternizing the queens".

After being educated as a tailor, he served in the military before staring his 40 year career with the DRF. First as a footman and later he became a valet for Frederik IX. Today he now lives in an apartment very close to Amalienborg. (A number of buildings and apartments around Amalienborg is owned by the state and reserved for present and former employees of the DRF. Such apartments are otherwise next to impossible to get for ordinary people or at the very least very, very expensive).

And during his career he has experienced quite a lot, like bathing with PH. Can he tell about such a personal thing?
"Yes, because in all the years I have worked for the DRF, I can with peace of mind say that there has never been anything that cannot be told openly. Of course the royals have a private life and they should have, but they don't do things in secret that would shock or which I can reveal.
The thing about the bath stems from back when the Prince after his back-surgery in 1995 was critically ill and for example needed help bathing. So I jumped into the shower, wearing a pair of underpants and helped him.
The Prince was incredibly easy to work with and very grateful when you did something for him. And I was delighted on his behalf over the progress he made, because I could see very close up how many and severe pains the Prince was in and how much he worked on getting better.
That's how the Prince is today as well, even though he has become more than 20 years older".

But there has always been a distance. He has never addressed neither Frederik IX nor PH with anything but third person. It's always been Your Majesty or Your Royal Highness - and that's how it should be.

In fact he transferred from Frederik IX to PH, while PH and then princess Margrethe danced their wedding waltz.
He says about Frederik IX: "The King taught me everything. - I was very happy during my time with the King. He was a very fine person, very jovial and easy, but things had to be in order. There everything ran like a ruler and on time".
When he had transferred to PH, he had to teach the new Prince everything about uniforms and orders and what not.

He says about PH: "... He's a fantastic person and I've had so many funny and fantastic experiences together with him, yes, and the Queen. I'm very fond of them".

Q: What has surprised you the most in working for the DRF?
AA: "Well, perhaps that it in the daily life isn't as solemn/aloof as you might believe.
It was of course fantastic to be a part of the whole thing, a part of history, but you sense that in a different way, because the royals are all so sweet. They become like your own family".

Q: Do your have a favorite among the royals?
AA: "King Harald... yes, and Queen Sonja, they are fantastic both of them.
Here at home it's of course the Prince, my former employer. Prince Henrik has been fantastic to me! Always"!

https://app.box.com/s/7nv2ofnz0uik4eae18g7qkf98vjv6wqj
https://app.box.com/s/om8knu9255ucnyuwwj8o425ce8dtetbw
https://app.box.com/s/uxsn5bcff10qqwmqw9jw3o595bd27eg5
https://app.box.com/s/f1hhgoj3wso83br3yyutb6o1a7q95seh
Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks Muhler. Its so nice to see such a personal wave of affection for Prince Henrik. He's not totally the ogre that he's been made out to be lately.

I never realized that Henrik had such painful health issues. It takes a lot to get through those kind of things.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

No, he's a man with nuances.

He is certainly very much conforming to the old rule of nobility: Treat your staff and servants correct, with courtesy and kindness. - something many modern celebs and nuveau riche could learn!
I'm also certain that he, being the in many way old-fashioned man he is, will always treat his daughters-in-laws like they were his own beloved daughters.

However, as we all know he hasn't always been kind to his wife and sons...

- That's of course why PH is such a fascinating character, who we can debate endlessly.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks Muhler! No surprises there. They are amazing and other royals don't even come close to their amazingness. And yes, I'm biased, but all the Danes and Swedes I know, agrees with me.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #38, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

PH's valet for many years, Anker Andersen, has written an autobiography, encouraged by PH.

The now 85 year old, Anker Andersen, served the DRF for 40 year. 33 of them as valet for PH.
During those years he has of course been almost as close as you can be to both King Frederik IX - and his wife, Queen Ingrid. And PH, and as such also QMII. But also King Harald and Queen Sonja, to whom he was seconded when they were visiting DK.
He retired in 1999 and on hearing that Queen Sonja, kissed him on both cheeks and thanked him. The sight of that made the former Chief of Court, Søren Haslund Christensen to dryly remark: "Well Anker, it's probably a good thing you are retiring, now that you've started fraternizing the queens".

After being educated as a tailor, he served in the military before staring his 40 year career with the DRF. First as a footman and later he became a valet for Frederik IX. Today he now lives in an apartment very close to Amalienborg. (A number of buildings and apartments around Amalienborg is owned by the state and reserved for present and former employees of the DRF. Such apartments are otherwise next to impossible to get for ordinary people or at the very least very, very expensive).

And during his career he has experienced quite a lot, like bathing with PH. Can he tell about such a personal thing?
"Yes, because in all the years I have worked for the DRF, I can with peace of mind say that there has never been anything that cannot be told openly. Of course the royals have a private life and they should have, but they don't do things in secret that would shock or which I can reveal.
The thing about the bath stems from back when the Prince after his back-surgery in 1995 was critically ill and for example needed help bathing. So I jumped into the shower, wearing a pair of underpants and helped him.
The Prince was incredibly easy to work with and very grateful when you did something for him. And I was delighted on his behalf over the progress he made, because I could see very close up how many and severe pains the Prince was in and how much he worked on getting better.
That's how the Prince is today as well, even though he has become more than 20 years older".

But there has always been a distance. He has never addressed neither Frederik IX nor PH with anything but third person. It's always been Your Majesty or Your Royal Highness - and that's how it should be.

In fact he transferred from Frederik IX to PH, while PH and then princess Margrethe danced their wedding waltz.
He says about Frederik IX: "The King taught me everything. - I was very happy during my time with the King. He was a very fine person, very jovial and easy, but things had to be in order. There everything ran like a ruler and on time".
When he had transferred to PH, he had to teach the new Prince everything about uniforms and orders and what not.

He says about PH: "... He's a fantastic person and I've had so many funny and fantastic experiences together with him, yes, and the Queen. I'm very fond of them".

Q: What has surprised you the most in working for the DRF?
AA: "Well, perhaps that it in the daily life isn't as solemn/aloof as you might believe.
It was of course fantastic to be a part of the whole thing, a part of history, but you sense that in a different way, because the royals are all so sweet. They become like your own family".

Here at home it's of course the Prince, my former employer. Prince Henrik has been fantastic to me! Always"!

https://app.box.com/s/7nv2ofnz0uik4eae18g7qkf98vjv6wqj
https://app.box.com/s/om8knu9255ucnyuwwj8o425ce8dtetbw
https://app.box.com/s/uxsn5bcff10qqwmqw9jw3o595bd27eg5
https://app.box.com/s/f1hhgoj3wso83br3yyutb6o1a7q95seh
Lovely to see confirmed that Prince Henrik is so much more than the clown he is often delicted as.