The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:47 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Try live here! We have loads of words for you/your/yours:
du (informal you)
de (plural)
De (formal you and also sometimes formal plural)
Deres (formal you and also sometimes formal plural)
deres (plural)
dig (informal you)
din (informal you)
dine (informal you)
dem (plural)
Dem (formal you, sometimes formal plural)
jer (informal plural)
jeres (informal plural)
I (plural about people)

- I probably left out a couple of yours.
All of these pronouns are in different case (kasus)

You can read more here:
Pronouns and adjectives table - Danish - Speakdanish

Or here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_grammar
__________________

__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 06-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,884
Quite. But while there are basically three words for you/your/yours in English depending on the situation and grammar, there are quite a few more in Danish.

And a minor correction: "deres" does not mean yours, but instead their or theirs. Unless it's written with a capital D, then it becomes formal You singular or formal You plural. - Confused? Good.

Osipi you asked how many words we specifically have for "your". About ten, depending on the situation and grammar.

So yes, there is every reason to feel sympathy for Mary.

Less so though for our Marie and PH. They are French, so the concept of various forms of you is not unknown to them.
French grammar is even worse than German! I know otherwise sober people who have been driven to heavy drinking trying to work out the logic in French grammar!

And that leads me to a sub-topic to why PH is getting so little general sympathy. - His spoken Danish is lousy! His heavy accent aside, he speaks "circus-Danish". I.e. with constant very basic grammatical mistakes. That despite the fact that PH's understanding of Danish and the subtleties is near perfect.
And that is annoying. When you join a tribe or move into a village, you'd better learn the local lingo or you'll remain an outsider.
A village is much more inclusive than a city, but also much more unforgiving.

Oh, I don't think we should get into the fact that the word please does not exist in Danish. That is build into the structure of the sentences. So we don't have please, instead we have countless subtleties for please. (We really need a despairing smiley).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Quite. But while there are basically three words for you/your/yours in English depending on the situation and grammar, there are quite a few more in Danish.

And a minor correction: "deres" does not mean yours, but instead their or theirs. Unless it's written with a capital D, then it becomes formal You singular or formal You plural. - Confused? Good.

Osipi you asked how many words we specifically have for "your". About ten, depending on the situation and grammar.

So yes, there is every reason to feel sympathy for Mary.

Less so though for our Marie and PH. They are French, so the concept of various forms of you is not unknown to them.
French grammar is even worse than German! I know otherwise sober people who have been driven to heavy drinking trying to work out the logic in French grammar!

And that leads me to a sub-topic to why PH is getting so little general sympathy. - His spoken Danish is lousy! His heavy accent aside, he speaks "circus-Danish". I.e. with constant very basic grammatical mistakes. That despite the fact that PH's understanding of Danish and the subtleties is near perfect.
And that is annoying. When you join a tribe or move into a village, you'd better learn the local lingo or you'll remain an outsider.
A village is much more inclusive than a city, but also much more unforgiving.

Oh, I don't think we should get into the fact that the word please does not exist in Danish. That is build into the structure of the sentences. So we don't have please, instead we have countless subtleties for please. (We really need a despairing smiley).
Muhler, you are tempting your readers into a debate that our moderators would not approve of with a suggestion that French is more difficult than German! I will, however, resist, and merely suggest that your observation is, quite simply, not true! The trials and tribulations experienced by Language learners must always be placed in the context of the learner's first language. Yours is Danish so you know cases; ergo, German is easier for you! French does not have cases so therefore you find it more difficult. With a view to le prince Henri and his retirement, I can well imagine he would prefer to spend time in Cayx and not have to worry about Danish cases!
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 06-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,884
You are no doubt Right, Gerry.

Oddly enough though, I tend to understand Italian and Spanish better than French. - Not that I claim any proficiency in either of these three languages!
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 06-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Wow and our Mary learnt all that makes me even more proud of her
Me, too. And very glad that I do not have to learn Danish.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 06-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You are no doubt Right, Gerry.

Oddly enough though, I tend to understand Italian and Spanish better than French. - Not that I claim any proficiency in either of these three languages!
Interesting; do you travel to either of these countries more than to France? That could explain your ease of understanding. It is well known that immersion in a country's language/culture is, by far, the best way of learning a new language! I believe the Crown Princess insisted on being spoken to only in Danish to help her better learn the language! I wonder what language is spoken between HM and her prince?
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,884
Not really, actually.

It's just that I seem to recognize and understand more Spanish and Italian words than French. Both spoken and written.
Why I don't know, because I've never really studied these three languages.

Anyway, as you say Gerry, we seem to get off topic.

But those of you who have head PH speak English, how is that?

Because PH is claimed to master Mandarin and some Vietnamese as well as English and of course Danish.
And he may. In the sense that his understanding is very good indeed, while he sucks at speaking these languages.
So that's why I'd like to hear from native English speakers.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a video on YouTube. Perhaps someone else have better luck?
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Not really, actually.

It's just that I seem to recognize and understand more Spanish and Italian words than French. Both spoken and written.
Why I don't know, because I've never really studied these three languages.
Have you studied Latin by any chance at school ? Both Spanish, Italian and French are derived from Latin, but French is the language among those 3 whose words have changed the most from their Latin roots due to major phonetic changes in the language. Italian on the other hand is the language whose words are closer to their Latin roots.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Muhler, you are tempting your readers into a debate that our moderators would not approve of with a suggestion that French is more difficult than German! I will, however, resist, and merely suggest that your observation is, quite simply, not true! The trials and tribulations experienced by Language learners must always be placed in the context of the learner's first language. Yours is Danish so you know cases; ergo, German is easier for you! French does not have cases so therefore you find it more difficult. With a view to le prince Henri and his retirement, I can well imagine he would prefer to spend time in Cayx and not have to worry about Danish cases!
Danish doesn't have case marking either, at least not for nouns, articles or adjectives (case is marked only for pronouns, like in English). Danish nouns still have grammatical gender though.
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 06-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Not really, actually.

It's just that I seem to recognize and understand more Spanish and Italian words than French. Both spoken and written.
Why I don't know, because I've never really studied these three languages.

Anyway, as you say Gerry, we seem to get off topic.

But those of you who have head PH speak English, how is that?

Because PH is claimed to master Mandarin and some Vietnamese as well as English and of course Danish.
And he may. In the sense that his understanding is very good indeed, while he sucks at speaking these languages.
So that's why I'd like to hear from native English speakers.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a video on YouTube. Perhaps someone else have better luck?
Although English is not my first language either, I did find this video of the Prince speaking English quite well at his son's wedding banquet.4
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,884
Thanks, Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Have you studied Latin by any chance at school ? Both Spanish, Italian and French are derived from Latin, but French is the language among those 3 whose words have changed the most from their Latin roots due to major phonetic changes in the language. Italian on the other hand is the language whose words are closer to their Latin roots.
Well, sort of.
I picked up a number of Latin terms as a medic and before we got deployed, because we were to to interact with local doctors.
My wife studied Latin in high School and she's employed in the health sector and when she advanced her education a number of years ago, she had to brush up on her Latin and she used me as a sparring-partner.
And there are quite a few Latin terms in Danish literature.

I find it deeply fascinating to learn about how the various languages are build up, but while I'm able to explain the differences in popular terms, explaining it in technical terms - in English - is a little over my head though.

Also, PH was in his 30's when he got to learn Danish. So comparing him with Mary and our Marie is interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I wonder what language is spoken between HM and her prince?
They speak French QMII has said so herself and she is bashful when she talks about it
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Thanks for the link to that video, gerry. Henrik speaks English quite well. What I thought was interesting is that he does not speak it with the sort of accent I would expect from someone whose first language is French. I wonder when and where he learnt English?
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,884
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #25, 2016.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Who after having been on the Faroe Islands with QMII went to France to meet up with PH, who attended a charity concert in the Sainte-Marie Cathedral in Auch.
But as you know QMII denied any truth to a de facto divorce between her and PH, so Trine Larsen who often before has managed to get close to PH asked for his comments.
"Oooh no, I don't care about what is being written. Because it isn't true.
But no matter what I say, there will always be some who write something else. So I don't take notice of that/I don't let that bother me... and as such I won't comment on it either".

Wearing an outfit that will end up in the male fashion thread, PH was there for a charity concert aimed at raising funds for the 500 year old glass mosaics.
He went there with his brother, Jean-Baptiste de Montpezat and his wife Gill.
Jean-Baptiste has been under treatment for cancer but now he's better, he's even got his hair back.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:52 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 981
Happy for PH that his brother is getting better.
*Off to the fashion thread*
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salzburg, Austria
Posts: 441
I have read for the first time now, that Prince Henrik renounced his title of prince consort in April this year - does anybody know the background? isn't it strange after all the controversy of him being "put behind" his son some years ago, he would freely give up the title??
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
I have read for the first time now, that Prince Henrik renounced his title of prince consort in April this year - does anybody know the background? isn't it strange after all the controversy of him being "put behind" his son some years ago, he would freely give up the title??
Basically, he's decided to end his career of public service. He no longer accompanies the queen on her official duties and is free to fill his days as any wealthy retiree might. I suspect being frustrated with the title allotted to him made it all the easier to set it aside.
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,303
Unfortunately there were, I believe, lingering resentments by Prince Henrik at not being made King Consort, and at being 'third' behind his wife and elder son. That situation is certainly not likely to change in the future as the spotlight will turn more and more onto the Crown Prince couple and young Prince Christian.

I suppose the benefits for Prince Hanrik in resigning his position as Prince Consort are that, health permitting, there will be many more months spent travelling in Europe with friends, enjoying the sun and sights each year. No more 'boring' events and Royal engagements if he doesn't want to be there.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
I think it seems logical for the husband of any Queen to be made King. Why is it that the wife of a King can be Queen then?
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I think it seems logical for the husband of any Queen to be made King. Why is it that the wife of a King can be Queen then?
This discussion is so tedious and I feel like people continue to bring it up just to stir up arguments. Because of a history loaded with institutionalised sexism wherein women have been considered less worth than men and sometimes not even been allowed women to ascend to the throne, the title of "King" isn't equal to that of "Queen". Historically Kings have outranked Queens and looking at the historical context, elevating the Queen's husband to the rank of King will create a situation where it will seem as though they're equal or that the consort outranks the monarch.

I do think it's funny, though, that women always have been demoted to a lesser title, a lesser rank, and the men have stayed quiet about it. However, as soon as the roles start changing and more women ascend to the throne, the male inferiority complexes immediately start to show and they can't even bear the thought of being "less worth" than their wives
__________________

__________________
"I am Denmark's first female Prime Minister. But you know what? I won't be the last."
— Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 485 01-24-2013 05:02 PM
Prince Henrik's Tantrum: January 2002 iowabelle Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik 37 06-18-2011 12:37 PM
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's Official Visit to the USA: June 6-11, 2011 iceflower Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik 32 06-17-2011 07:33 PM
Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 2: January 2007 - August 2010 Mandy Current Events Archive 442 08-21-2010 03:45 AM
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's Official Visit to Germany: September 5, 2003 Alexandria Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik 5 06-26-2010 10:58 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll felipe vi greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy murdoch new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles prince george of cambridge princess marie princess mary princess mary eveningwear princess mary fashion prinsjesdag queen elizabeth 90 birthday queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia suits queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion satan september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark state visit to norway succession sweden thailand the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats time travel women deliver conference


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises