The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Nobility

I know next to nothing about the Danish royals so I'm likely way off base.

But, to me, this looks like a marriage which has reached its conclusion. They seem happier apart than together. Like many elderly people whose marriage has essentially ended late in life, there's clearly still plenty of affection there and no possibility of an actual divorce, but this does not resemble a couple in love anymore.

The 'retirement' would be a neat and tidy way of letting people know they'll spend most of their time away from each other without having to go into the specifics of the relationship.

I'm probably wrong though.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

If this turns out to be true, it would be sad if Margrethe and Henrik have separated from each other, particularly since they are both in their old age. I still think that Henrik holds a grudge because of his "I wish I was King" rants. I agree that's it's very telling given how she addressed herself to President Obama. Perhaps their marriage now will be like Juan Carlos and Sofia of Spain's, if true. But I'll just wait and see.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't believe we can derive anything about the state of their marriage from the letter of condolence – Henrik has retired from his official duties as Prince Consort and as such it's only natural that she alone would sign an official letter of condolence. I mean, this was all specified in the announcement? He will only participate in select official engagements and then maintain his patronages, otherwise he's retired. Now, one can debate the reason behind this retirement and whether it was a rational choice but although his absence is feels odd here in the beginning it can hardly come as a surprise that they follow the plan that was laid out from the beginning of the year?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Henrik's "retirement" saga seems to me to have been needlessly complicated from the start. I don't understand why they couldn't have put out a straightforward notice that Henrik would be slowing down and participating in fewer events and have that be the end of it. I think most Danes would understand that many people don't have the stamina and energy in their 80s that they did when they were younger. Henrik could have shown up to events when he felt able and stayed home when he didn't while still remaining an official part of the RF. There wouldn't have been any need for the title change or the change in signing official letters, (like the letter of condolence), and there wouldn't be the ongoing speculation about what's really happening.
You are absolutely right
Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't believe we can derive anything about the state of their marriage from the letter of condolence Henrik has retired from his official duties as Prince Consort and as such it's only natural that she alone would sign an official letter of condolence. I mean, this was all specified in the announcement? He will only participate in select official engagements and then maintain his patronages, otherwise he's retired. Now, one can debate the reason behind this retirement and whether it was a rational choice but although his absence is feels odd here in the beginning it can hardly come as a surprise that they follow the plan that was laid out from the beginning of the year?
But then why wasn't that plan followed in March when the letter of condolence went out to Belgium? Why the change now?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

To me, and heaven knows I may very well be wrong, it looks as if, after months of sniping about his position as third in the kingdom, there was one unholy explosion from Henrik late last year, one last throw of the dice to gain the position of King Consort that he felt he was entitled to. However, I think the Queen wouldn't budge and so for many months Henrik has been on a lengthy sulk about an argument now that he definitely knows he can't win.

He signs condolence letters when he wants to sign them, doesn't sign them when he doesn't, and when he feels particularly aggrieved about the situation he retreats to his native France. The trouble is, I suspect, if he spends too much time with Queen Margrethe all those old resentments start boiling up inside again. Perhaps it's better all round if he just has time away from everyone and does his own thing.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
To me, and heaven knows I may very well be wrong, it looks as if, after months of sniping about his position as third in the kingdom, there was one unholy explosion from Henrik late last year, one last throw of the dice to gain the position of King Consort that he felt he was entitled to. However, I think the Queen wouldn't budge and so for many months Henrik has been on a lengthy sulk about an argument now that he definitely knows he can't win.

He signs condolence letters when he wants to sign them, doesn't sign them when he doesn't, and when he feels particularly aggrieved about the situation he retreats to his native France. The trouble is, I suspect, if he spends too much time with Queen Margrethe all those old resentments start boiling up inside again. Perhaps it's better all round if he just has time away from everyone and does his own thing.
I think you are spot on and have thought this since it was first announced.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Nobility

Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

This all just sounds incredibly petty and immature. 😒
Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
This all just sounds incredibly petty and immature. 😒
Exactly my opinion, he looks like a sulking teenager !
Old 06-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Nobility

Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.

Oh I find it incredibly offensive as well.

It would be one thing if he had ever used his profile and money and time to promote gender equality. If he had been campaigning for access to education for girls in Afghanistan and working to support domestic violence survivors and rape survivors, and this was just one part of a campaign for gender equality- I could take it.

But since the only time he seems to care about it is in the one instance where it works against him- he can preen and sulk all he wants in France and no one should pay his temper tantrum any mind.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Oh I find it incredibly offensive as well.

It would be one thing if he had ever used his profile and money and time to promote gender equality. If he had been campaigning for access to education for girls in Afghanistan and working to support domestic violence survivors and rape survivors, and this was just one part of a campaign for gender equality- I could take it.

But since the only time he seems to care about it is in the one instance where it works against him- he can preen and sulk all he wants in France and no one should pay his temper tantrum any mind.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
What a great point!
Old 06-16-2016, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Agree with above posters.

PH's sulking might very well have cost him a title as say "king-consort" and was certainly expensive on the popularity-account!
Old 06-16-2016, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

There would never have been such a thing as a king-consort in Denmark, putting this issue forward for real people would have said, seriously?! It would probably have opened a discussion that no monarchy would want about their right to exist.

If Henrik hasn't seen the sign of the times, that elevating somebody to king-consort is impossible in modern times, he is beyond help.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:59 AM
Majesty

No, perhaps not.
King-consort would be the highest he could ever hope to get, the title of king is totally out of the question, because that would require a change of the Constitution.
There were however also some who advocated changing Mary's future title to queen-consort.

Anyway, that has long since been thrown out the window. The public doesn't think he earned that consideration due to his tantrums.

That he IMO ought to have been allowed to change his official name back to Henri a decade ago is another matter.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I'm confused, don't all Queens who are not monarchs hold the title Queen consort anyway, eg Queen Sonja Queen consort of Norway?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:23 AM
Majesty

In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's time for gender-neutral titles for the monarch and consort, in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. Although I have to say that the notion of offering Henrik the option to be called His Majesty, Queen Henrik appeals to me immensely.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.
Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!
Oh absolutely,but see,The DoE was born into Royal circles and was raised in the full awareness of that and what it constitutes,whereas H family is at best a aristo start-up bunch who cared/care more on status and grandeur for their own then any born Royal wouldn't even dare to think of.

I feel sorry for Queen Margrethe though,very much so,such an examplary Monarch who is put up for life with this selfindulgent "I am over the top important " creature.And for his kids.

I recall Frederik saying in a speech directed to his father,if beating is a show of love,then you must love us very much....Ever since this man disgusts me.

@ Roslyn,the last part you wrote...yes..this is exactly what I try to get across tiptooing...grin....