The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:42 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 427
I know next to nothing about the Danish royals so I'm likely way off base.

But, to me, this looks like a marriage which has reached its conclusion. They seem happier apart than together. Like many elderly people whose marriage has essentially ended late in life, there's clearly still plenty of affection there and no possibility of an actual divorce, but this does not resemble a couple in love anymore.

The 'retirement' would be a neat and tidy way of letting people know they'll spend most of their time away from each other without having to go into the specifics of the relationship.

I'm probably wrong though.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 06-14-2016, 04:21 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,078
If this turns out to be true, it would be sad if Margrethe and Henrik have separated from each other, particularly since they are both in their old age. I still think that Henrik holds a grudge because of his "I wish I was King" rants. I agree that's it's very telling given how she addressed herself to President Obama. Perhaps their marriage now will be like Juan Carlos and Sofia of Spain's, if true. But I'll just wait and see.
__________________

__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,514
I don't believe we can derive anything about the state of their marriage from the letter of condolence – Henrik has retired from his official duties as Prince Consort and as such it's only natural that she alone would sign an official letter of condolence. I mean, this was all specified in the announcement? He will only participate in select official engagements and then maintain his patronages, otherwise he's retired. Now, one can debate the reason behind this retirement and whether it was a rational choice but although his absence is feels odd here in the beginning it can hardly come as a surprise that they follow the plan that was laid out from the beginning of the year?
__________________
"I am Denmark's first female Prime Minister. But you know what? I won't be the last."
— Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark

Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:06 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Henrik's "retirement" saga seems to me to have been needlessly complicated from the start. I don't understand why they couldn't have put out a straightforward notice that Henrik would be slowing down and participating in fewer events and have that be the end of it. I think most Danes would understand that many people don't have the stamina and energy in their 80s that they did when they were younger. Henrik could have shown up to events when he felt able and stayed home when he didn't while still remaining an official part of the RF. There wouldn't have been any need for the title change or the change in signing official letters, (like the letter of condolence), and there wouldn't be the ongoing speculation about what's really happening.
You are absolutely right
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wandering around the, United States
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't believe we can derive anything about the state of their marriage from the letter of condolence – Henrik has retired from his official duties as Prince Consort and as such it's only natural that she alone would sign an official letter of condolence. I mean, this was all specified in the announcement? He will only participate in select official engagements and then maintain his patronages, otherwise he's retired. Now, one can debate the reason behind this retirement and whether it was a rational choice but although his absence is feels odd here in the beginning it can hardly come as a surprise that they follow the plan that was laid out from the beginning of the year?
But then why wasn't that plan followed in March when the letter of condolence went out to Belgium? Why the change now?
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 06-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,038
To me, and heaven knows I may very well be wrong, it looks as if, after months of sniping about his position as third in the kingdom, there was one unholy explosion from Henrik late last year, one last throw of the dice to gain the position of King Consort that he felt he was entitled to. However, I think the Queen wouldn't budge and so for many months Henrik has been on a lengthy sulk about an argument now that he definitely knows he can't win.

He signs condolence letters when he wants to sign them, doesn't sign them when he doesn't, and when he feels particularly aggrieved about the situation he retreats to his native France. The trouble is, I suspect, if he spends too much time with Queen Margrethe all those old resentments start boiling up inside again. Perhaps it's better all round if he just has time away from everyone and does his own thing.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
To me, and heaven knows I may very well be wrong, it looks as if, after months of sniping about his position as third in the kingdom, there was one unholy explosion from Henrik late last year, one last throw of the dice to gain the position of King Consort that he felt he was entitled to. However, I think the Queen wouldn't budge and so for many months Henrik has been on a lengthy sulk about an argument now that he definitely knows he can't win.

He signs condolence letters when he wants to sign them, doesn't sign them when he doesn't, and when he feels particularly aggrieved about the situation he retreats to his native France. The trouble is, I suspect, if he spends too much time with Queen Margrethe all those old resentments start boiling up inside again. Perhaps it's better all round if he just has time away from everyone and does his own thing.
I think you are spot on and have thought this since it was first announced.
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 06-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 462
Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

This all just sounds incredibly petty and immature. 😒
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 06-15-2016, 06:38 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
This all just sounds incredibly petty and immature. 😒
Exactly my opinion, he looks like a sulking teenager !
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 06-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 462
Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.

Oh I find it incredibly offensive as well.

It would be one thing if he had ever used his profile and money and time to promote gender equality. If he had been campaigning for access to education for girls in Afghanistan and working to support domestic violence survivors and rape survivors, and this was just one part of a campaign for gender equality- I could take it.

But since the only time he seems to care about it is in the one instance where it works against him- he can preen and sulk all he wants in France and no one should pay his temper tantrum any mind.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Oh I find it incredibly offensive as well.

It would be one thing if he had ever used his profile and money and time to promote gender equality. If he had been campaigning for access to education for girls in Afghanistan and working to support domestic violence survivors and rape survivors, and this was just one part of a campaign for gender equality- I could take it.

But since the only time he seems to care about it is in the one instance where it works against him- he can preen and sulk all he wants in France and no one should pay his temper tantrum any mind.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
What a great point!
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:20 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,398
Agree with above posters.

PH's sulking might very well have cost him a title as say "king-consort" and was certainly expensive on the popularity-account!
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:31 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 12,131
There would never have been such a thing as a king-consort in Denmark, putting this issue forward for real people would have said, seriously?! It would probably have opened a discussion that no monarchy would want about their right to exist.

If Henrik hasn't seen the sign of the times, that elevating somebody to king-consort is impossible in modern times, he is beyond help.
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:59 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,398
No, perhaps not.
King-consort would be the highest he could ever hope to get, the title of king is totally out of the question, because that would require a change of the Constitution.
There were however also some who advocated changing Mary's future title to queen-consort.

Anyway, that has long since been thrown out the window. The public doesn't think he earned that consideration due to his tantrums.

That he IMO ought to have been allowed to change his official name back to Henri a decade ago is another matter.
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 06-16-2016, 03:13 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 12,131
I'm confused, don't all Queens who are not monarchs hold the title Queen consort anyway, eg Queen Sonja Queen consort of Norway?
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 06-16-2016, 03:23 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,398
In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
I think it's time for gender-neutral titles for the monarch and consort, in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. Although I have to say that the notion of offering Henrik the option to be called His Majesty, Queen Henrik appeals to me immensely.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 12,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.
Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!
Oh absolutely,but see,The DoE was born into Royal circles and was raised in the full awareness of that and what it constitutes,whereas H family is at best a aristo start-up bunch who cared/care more on status and grandeur for their own then any born Royal wouldn't even dare to think of.

I feel sorry for Queen Margrethe though,very much so,such an examplary Monarch who is put up for life with this selfindulgent "I am over the top important " creature.And for his kids.

I recall Frederik saying in a speech directed to his father,if beating is a show of love,then you must love us very much....Ever since this man disgusts me.

@ Roslyn,the last part you wrote...yes..this is exactly what I try to get across tiptooing...grin....
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 485 01-24-2013 04:02 PM
Prince Henrik's Tantrum: January 2002 iowabelle Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik 37 06-18-2011 11:37 AM
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's Official Visit to the USA: June 6-11, 2011 iceflower Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik 32 06-17-2011 06:33 PM
Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 2: January 2007 - August 2010 Mandy Current Events Archive 442 08-21-2010 02:45 AM
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's Official Visit to Germany: September 5, 2003 Alexandria Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik 5 06-26-2010 09:58 PM




Popular Tags
albania best gown september 2016 best outfit birthday books british baby names catherine middleton style child christening of prince alexander coel hen coup d'etat crown prince crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion denmark duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge earthquakes europe fascism fashion poll french jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander maxima in australia and new zealand member introduction monarchy murdoch new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince charles prince felix princess charlene princess claire of luxembourg princess mary princess mary fashion princess mary style princess sofia psychopath queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen rania queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion queen rania in new zealand queen silvia replica september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises