Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe Henrik has decided that as he obviously isn't going to be King Consort then he won't be anything at all. These past episodes of his have been unseemly to say the least, but I do feel very sorry for the Queen. Her sons and daughters in law will support her by taking over most of Henrik's patronages, I'm sure.

I agree, he's acting like a spoilt child and making a fuss at the most inopportune moment to draw the maximum amount of attention to himself.
He's not retiring completely from public life because he won't have an audience. Wasn't he absent from some of QM's birthday celebration this year because of 'ill health' and then pictured on a holiday?

Last edited:
Just speculation of course, but what if the Prince is suffering from some form of cognitive decline, which would also explain some of his recent controversial claims ?

I have been wondering the same thing. His behavior has been a bit ... erratic. This could well be the problem.

This is very interesting- Henrik's behavior in public for the past year has been pretty atrocious, so I'm not surprised something had to be done. I hope that he's just being petty and isn't in a state of cognitive decline, but I wouldn't be surprised if his health has something to do with his recent behavior.

BTW well done Margrethe doing the speech live unlike the rest of europe's Kings or Queens. However more muddles, especially with the que cards, this year. Maybe nerves at what she was announcing?

Here is a link to the text of the speech

I've copied and google translated the part where she talks about Henrik:

I can not finish without saying thank you, thank you for everything Prince Consort and I and our whole family has received the warmth and friendliness also in this year.

But I want tonight to say a special thank you to the Prince Consort. My husband has decided that now is the time for him to "slow down" - to, if I may say it in plain Danish, to retire. In future, the Prince Consort only to a very limited extent take part in the official events, which for so many years has been a natural part of his life. It's his decision, I understand it and I respect it. I am my husband deeply grateful for all the support, help and inspiration he has given me through the years. I look forward to that I can continue to perform my duties, and I still have my husband to support me, although it is less visible.

Last edited:
There's comes a time when ones knows it's time to hang up ones hat and call it a day. I think it's very honorable and brave of Henrik to come to this decision, especially when he's married to a job that everyone expect him to do until he dies. Putting himself and health first is the right thing to do, IMO.

If it is health that is causing Henrik to withdraw from his public duties, than I certainly wish him a speedy recovery.

But I can certainly understand why people (including myself to be honest) are suspicious regarding the "retirement." Yes, most people at Henrik's age if they can afford it, do retire but it certainly not something expects of the consort unless it's health decision. And honestly, based on his previous issues with his role....you do have to wonder if he is taking his toys so know one else can play with them.

There's comes a time when ones knows it's time to hang up ones hat and call it a day. I think it's very honorable and brave of Henrik to come to this decision, especially when he's married to a job that everyone expect him to do until he dies. Putting himself and health first is the right thing to do, IMO.

I agree. If Henrik feels he can no longer fulfill his duty to the best of his ability - for whatever reason - it's best to bow out gracefully and retreat into private life. He's the consort, not the monarch, and he is in his 80s, after all.

The more i think about it the more i think this could be related to him wanting to be King. It all seems a bit dramatic to me and if it was because of ill health wouldnt they want him to stop all activities not just "state" duties? I mean if he is going to carry on being patron of some things (which the Chamberlain seeemd to imply) then he can't be that ill? I wonder if he has finally thrown his dummy out the pram and said no more (but then realised if he still does some things he can go on moaning about his title??)
I hope he isnt seriously ill, that would of course be sad.

He's not ill, but he has trouble walking, and as he said in an interview some months ago, he is tired.

Here is a link to the text of the speech

I've copied and google translated the part where she talks about Henrik:

I can not finish without saying thank you, thank you for everything Prince Consort and I and our whole family has received the warmth and friendliness also in this year.

But I want tonight to say a special thank you to the Prince Consort. My husband has decided that now is the time for him to "slow down" - to, if I may say it in plain Danish, to retire. In future, the Prince Consort only to a very limited extent take part in the official events, which for so many years has been a natural part of his life. It's his decision, I understand it and I respect it. I am my husband deeply grateful for all the support, help and inspiration he has given me through the years. I look forward to that I can continue to perform my duties, and I still have my husband to support me, although it is less visible.

Oh, I think I've translated and posted the part where she talks about Henrik in a previous post here.

Just speculation of course, but what if the Prince is suffering from some form of cognitive decline, which would also explain some of his recent controversial claims ?

He is frail, but he's not suffering from anything (according to people who is close to him), and he has complained about the king stuff for years. The reason to why he has complained about it a lot lately is because the journalists ask him questions and he answers them, and so it will continue (if he continues to give interviews).

Prince Henrik - from child in Hanoi to Prince of Denmark, a life in pictures:
http://www.b.dk/nationalt/prins-henrik-fra-barn-i-hanoi-til-prins-af-danmark

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. If Henrik feels he can no longer fulfill his duty to the best of his ability - for whatever reason - it's best to bow out gracefully and retreat into private life. He's the consort, not the monarch, and he is in his 80s, after all.

Yup, from what I've seen of recent consorts, they are pretty much dedicated in supporting their spouses (King or Queen) for as long as they possibly can. I don't see him retiring over a title, but only due to health and for the concern over his well being. It's pretty hard for everyone to understand that when it's a job that people expect you to do until old ticker stops. Stepping down with dignity is for the best. The Queen and family support his decision, so should everybody else.

After all these years, why would he think he would be elevated to King Consort at this time? Is there a precedence for this?

Henrik has wanted to be a King Consort for a considerable time and has stated and inferred this several times in the past few years. He doesn't believe that he should be third in the kingdom of Denmark in terms of position and that is well known.

We don't know what has occurred in the past weeks to spur this announcement by Queen Margrethe. Prince Henrik may well have pressed the issue again and received a final 'No!' hence the decision to 'retire'.

As he intends to hold on to most of his patronages and avoid the more State oriented occasions, I doubt it's a health issue, more a case of this man wanting to hold on to the prestige he has left and not passing the occasion to shine at events of his own choosing to his sons and daughters in law. Plus he has chosen (presumably of his own free will) to not play third fiddle on formal occasions in the future.

And, no there is no precedent for a King Consort in Denmark.

Last edited:
Health must come first, and this sort of thing could happen with the Duke of Edinburgh too.

Henrik has wanted to be a King Consort for a considerable time and has stated and inferred this several times in the past few years. He doesn't believe that he should be third in the kingdom in terms of position and that is well known.

We don't know what has occurred in the past weeks to spur this announcement by Queen Margrethe. Prince Henrik may well have pressed the issue again and received a final 'No!' hence the decision to 'retire'.

As he intends to hold on to most of his patronages and avoid the more State oriented occasions, I doubt it's a health issue, more a case of this man wanting to hold on to the prestige he has left and not passing the occasion to shine at events of his own choosing to his sons and daughters in law. Plus he has chosen (presumably of his own free will) to not play third fiddle on formal occasions in the future.

And, no there is no precedent for a King Consort in Denmark.

And if that's his reason and it had nothing to do with his health- what a spoiled, selfish and petty man to put his pride before his wife.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Health must come first, and this sort of thing could happen with the Duke of Edinburgh too.

Yes it could happen with Philip too, but it's not likely since I think he will continue with his duties to he dies (even if he is in an wheelchair).

I have been wondering the same thing. His behavior has been a bit ... erratic. This could well be the problem.
I cannot help but think that this decision is a result of his increasingly erratic behaviour, whether it be a medical cognitive decline or sheer bloody-mindedness.

I do not believe the situation with Prince Henrik would have been allowed to continue unchecked in some way as the huge stress engendered by his behaviour regardless of the cause, must have been both hurtful to the heart and harmful to Queen Margrethe's health

Yes it could happen with Philip too, but it's not likely since I think he will continue with his duties to he dies (even if he is in an wheelchair).

I agree, but there's no telling what tomorrow will bring at his age. Age and illness is far more serious than these royal jobs, and bowing out gracefully while you can is for the best.

I'm sure this decision was not easy for Henrik to make. He has supported The Queen since the day they married, there's no reason for him to step down over a title after all these years. Most likely this is due to his health.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with you poor queen margrethe, she seems to be the one in obvious ill health but he may have been in mental decline or simply stubbornness. I am glad a decision has been made for her sake. I would hope his retreat from public life is best.

Let's not forget that Prince Philip is 94 years old. He has had some health issues in the last few years but always seems to me to be an enthusiastic Prince Consort, totally supportive of the Queen without demanding some sort of higher privilege as Prince Henrik seems to.

In my opinion, over the last few years, his attitude has detracted from the excellent job that the Queen and Crown Prince Couple cheerfully do. It tends to divert the attention away from them. I'm sorry to say it, but I for one, won't miss Prince Henrik, but I wish him a peaceful retirement.

You do put up a point, many will not miss him, what a legacy

I agree, but there's no telling what tomorrow will bring at his age. Age and illness is far more serious than these royal jobs, and bowing out gracefully while you can is for the best.

Yes, but I don't think the Queen (Elizabeth II) agree with you in that. For her, duty/serve the people comes before anything, and when you are at Philip's age bowing out gracefully will not do you any good.

Yes, but I don't think the Queen (Elizabeth II) agree with you in that. For her, duty/serve the people comes before anything, and when you are at Philip's age bowing out gracefully will not do you any good.

We all know royal duty is important, but age and illness don't care much about that. When the body say that's it, that's it.

I cannot help but think that this decision is a result of his increasingly erratic behaviour, whether it be a medical cognitive decline or sheer bloody-mindedness.

I do not believe the situation with Prince Henrik would have been allowed to continue unchecked in some way as the huge stress engendered by his behaviour regardless of the cause, must have been both hurtful to the heart and harmful to Queen Margrethe's health

A good summation. :sad: I think it is breaking her heart to do this. Anyone who has to deal with a cognitive decline in an elder, with the resultant behavior issues, cannot but feel anything but compassion for the heartbroken wife (Queen) and for the family. Not an easy situation to handle when in the spotlight. Less said the better for all concerned. JMO.

This announcement has certainly made 2016 an interesting year in Denmark. Looking at the Berlingske photos what a happy, supportive and fortunate relationship they have shared. He seems to feel he deserves some reward for his efforts and this must be harder as F&M assume more responsibilities. Although it's hard to walk in his shoes I hope he appreciates how fortunate his life has been and has encouragement from the work he has been able to do because of his position.

Prince Henrik presumably didn't have cognitive difficulties in 2002 when he fled Denmark for France in protest at his position being downgraded. (His sons had been given the ability to be appointed regents when he and the Queen were out of the country.)

Henrik's deteriorating mental health won't make any difference to those many charities of which he has decided to still remain patron then? Interesting if he decides to still take an active role in them as it has been hinted he will.

In my opinion this man's resentments have been festering like a boil for a very long time and have now burst. Sometimes, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is....a ----!

Prince Henrik presumably didn't have cognitive difficulties in 2002 when he fled Denmark for France in protest at his position being downgraded. (His sons had been given the ability to be appointed regents when he and the Queen were out of the country.)

Henrik's deteriorating mental health won't make any difference to those many charities of which he has decided to still remain patron then? Interesting if he decides to still take an active role in them as it has been hinted he will.

In my opinion this man's resentments have been festering like a boil for a very long time and have now burst. Sometimes, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is....a ----!

I don't disagree. Cognitive decline is actually the charitable assumption.

This man has been incredibly privileged- with more access to wealth and opportunity than 99.9999% of the human race. Yet he's never been content with his incredible fortune and luck.

Which makes him, if he's not actually ill, a giant horse's behind.

I think everyone need to get serious. Prince Henrik would not go into retirement over title focus. Most likely this over his health issues.

I think everyone need to get serious. Prince Henrik would not go into retirement over title focus. Most likely this over his health issues.

Then why did he spend so much of the last year complaining about his title?

Then why did he spend so much of the last year complaining about his title?

He's allowed to complain about his title, but he has dedicated his service to The Queen and Denmark since they were married. He wouldn't retire over a title. Everyone can see he's an old and sick man. No one should be making light over this major news. His health most likely is the cause of his retirement.

Last edited:
He's allowed to complain about his title, but he has dedicated his service to The Queen and Denmark since they were married. He wouldn't retire over a title. Everyone can see his an old and sick man. No one should be making light over this major news. His health most likely is the cause of retirement.

He's been complaining about his title for at least 15 years and his whining has gotten more petulant over the years.

He may be sick. But his behavior has been abominable since at least 2002.

He's been complaining about his title for at least 15 years and his whining has gotten more petulant over the years.

He may be sick. But his behavior has been abominable since at least 2002.

He may be upset about his title, but it must be something serious going on for him to make this kind of move. I'm just saying consorts don't do something like this over a title. His health must be a major factor here.

As one poster said before, because journo's keep asking him about the title issue and he answers. I for one will miss him very much as I find him a colourful character. I would be more inclined to think his health concerns are more related to arthritus pain, hence the need to spend more time in a warmer climate like the Chateau. He has been overweight for so long he could suffer from diabetes as well. Which would be a bit debilitating for someone in their eighties. He is simply getting old and needing to retire.

Back
Top Bottom