The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Henrik has decided that as he obviously isn't going to be King Consort then he won't be anything at all. These past episodes of his have been unseemly to say the least, but I do feel very sorry for the Queen. Her sons and daughters in law will support her by taking over most of Henrik's patronages, I'm sure.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

I hope Henrik is still to be a private support to Margrethe - that their lives together are full and enjoyable.
Henrik has suffered quite a few losses this year.
He IS expressive. Many older people lose ability to curb their words. I thought it great that he, opinionated and all, was valued in Denmark. It was an example of tolerance.
I will miss Henrik's colourful flair. I hope he is thanked for his public service over many years. He and Benedikte have put in solid effort along side Margrethe for decades. I wish him good health and extra hours for grandparenting, writing and wine tasting.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I wonder if he'd be doing this if he was a King Consort...
Many Danish journalists/royal experts is wondering the same thing.

Eksperter om prins Henriks pension: Dum timing for Kongehuset | Nyheder | DR
Translated by me
Quote:
Experts on Prince Henrik's retirement: Stupid timing for the Royal Family

Prince Henrik's exit could have happened at a better time, says Thomas Larsen and Anette Kokholm.

Quite undramatic, but surprising and unfortunate, says DR's royal experts after Queen Margrethe's New Year speech, where she surprised Denmark with the Prince Consort retire.

''The Prince Consort have decided that it is his time to slow down. It's his decision. I understand it and respect it, the Queen said''.

But the royal experts wonder why.

''This timing is annoying for the Royal Family. If he had decided to slow done a year ago, he had done it on the top of his popularity. When there was a tendency that his and the Danish people's relationship was about to end happily'', says Thomas Larsen, who is a commentator for Berlingske.

''Before he complained about his place in the royal and the fact that he didn't participate in the Queen's birthday, his popularity surged in recent years. So it is surprising'', says Anette Kokholm, editor in chief of Family Journal.

However, there are none of them who believe that the sudden departure is happening because the 81-year-old prince consort is sick.

''My best guess is that it's quite undramatic, but there is something unresolved, precisely because it comes after a year when he was absent from the Queen's birthday and again expressed that he was not satisfied with his position in the royal family'', says Thomas Larsen.

Should we expect that the Queen will resign?

''I think I am certainly sure that this is not going to happen.

There is no doubt that he has meant an enormous amount for the Queen, as a crucial support and advisor in all this years, but you have to take it seriously when the Queen says that she intends to continue. It is her mission in life'', says Thomas Larsen.

They both agree that there is an emerging generation shift, where the Crown Prince will continue to take a more visible role.

''It really is a chapter that will be reversed, where the Queen will start to give the throne to the next generation'', says Anette Kokholm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I knew something was going to happen that's why Fred and Mary got to have this long trip to Australia they will be extra busy now taking on his duties and supporting the Queen whose health isn't good

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
It's true that she's had some health problems due to her unhealthy lifestyle, but she's not seriously ill, and she has said recently that she's not feel old.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

So he's bit going to do any more apperances? TBH i think after the way he acted when he sat next to M and complained about bot being King the writing has been on the wall. he also seems to find getting round a bit trickybso maybe he doesn't feel he can go on doing it all anymore. Sad for M as he has been there most the time for her. Hope her famy rally round her, maybe Joachim will accompany her more and M and F of course for the bigger state events.

Finally got to a real computer, apparently BB report a letter from the Lord Chamberlain which states (well according to google translate so sorry for any errors):

Prins Henrik trękker sig tilbage - lęs meddelelsen | BILLED-BLADET

His Royal Highness the Prince Consort decided to retire with effect from 1 January 2016 after more than 40 years of activity for Denmark and Danish interests.

His Royal Highness will "slow down". It implies that the Prince Consort future does not participate in a series of official events and meetings, including New Year levees, the opening of Parliament, Ambassador receptions and state visits abroad.

By contrast, the Prince Consort continue to participate in other events of an official nature, including various events taking place where the royal couple have residence.

His Royal Highness keep the bulk of its patronages and honorary position, and the Prince Consort will continue to participate in a variety of chores, including art and culture.

The decision is not expected to have implications for the royal family's overall activity. The relevant tasks will be solved by Her Majesty the Queen or other members of the royal family. Therefore, emphasis is not up to the changes in the total state grant to the Royal Family.

Hmm to me if he is keeping some patronages etc but dropping all the 'state' stuff it could all be about his role/lank of King title. IF he was ill surely he would drop most things not just some? I wonder if he has finally thrown his dummy out the pram and said no more...but then realised if he turns up to teh odd event he can still cause trouble ;-).

I guess I hope it is this, rather than him being ill which of course would be very sad indeed.

Link to a video of the speech:
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-...ytarstale-9#!/

The more i think about it the more i think this could be related to him wanting to be King. It all seems a bit dramatic to me and if it was because of ill health wouldnt they want him to stop all activities not just "state" duties? I mean if he is going to carry on being patron of some things (which the Chamberlain seeemd to imply) then he can't be that ill? I wonder if he has finally thrown his dummy out the pram and said no more (but then realised if he still does some things he can go on moaning about his title??)
I hope he isnt seriously ill, that would of course be sad.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

Just speculation of course, but what if the Prince is suffering from some form of cognitive decline, which would also explain some of his recent controversial claims ?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-...ytarstale-9#!/
Link here to the Queen's NY message, I think she talks about Henrik around 10min, just before the end.
Thank you for posting this; I watched with fascination as she lost her place while reading her speech from the infamous cue cards! Do other members recall this happening before? I wonder if she was unusually tense in having to announce the Prince Consort's retirement? Indeed, as others have mentioned, his timing is not fortuitous and I would not be surprised if non compos mentis may be the cause.
Luckily the queen is surrounded by a supportive family and many friends, so that HM may be quoting Angela Merkel 'Wir schaffen das! to herself. I would love to know the Danish-language equivalent, but will, in any case, wish God Nytar to all!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Maybe Henrik has decided that as he obviously isn't going to be King Consort then he won't be anything at all. These past episodes of his have been unseemly to say the least, but I do feel very sorry for the Queen. Her sons and daughters in law will support her by taking over most of Henrik's patronages, I'm sure.
After all these years, why would he think he would be elevated to King Consort at this time? Is there a precedence for this?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Courtier

OK! Something is very odd here. The schedule of the New Year's Courts in particular are announced well in advance. As a matter of fact, since November 12, it was announced that the regent couple (QMII & Prince Henrik) will host the 3 New Year's Courts.

What the hell happened between November and December that resulted in this decision? It would appear that something very dramatic happened to result in Prince Henrik retiring.

Something isn't right...there is more to this issue!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

It may simply be that the plan was to announce the retirement in the New Year's speech, and had they not included Prince Henrik as the 'host' as they usually do, it would have led to lots of speculation about why he wasn't included/etc/etc.

I don't think this is something that has been decided abruptly or without thought.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think they could not include him as it would raise questions straight away, or more simply, maybe the Press/Communications Office didn't know in November, other staff may have been consulted/informed but the press office wouldn't necessarily need to know that far in advance.

Whatever happened, I do think this is something that has been decided long before now.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I agree, he's acting like a spoilt child and making a fuss at the most inopportune moment to draw the maximum amount of attention to himself.
He's not retiring completely from public life because he won't have an audience. Wasn't he absent from some of QM's birthday celebration this year because of 'ill health' and then pictured on a holiday?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Just speculation of course, but what if the Prince is suffering from some form of cognitive decline, which would also explain some of his recent controversial claims ?
I have been wondering the same thing. His behavior has been a bit ... erratic. This could well be the problem.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is very interesting- Henrik's behavior in public for the past year has been pretty atrocious, so I'm not surprised something had to be done. I hope that he's just being petty and isn't in a state of cognitive decline, but I wouldn't be surprised if his health has something to do with his recent behavior.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

BTW well done Margrethe doing the speech live unlike the rest of europe's Kings or Queens. However more muddles, especially with the que cards, this year. Maybe nerves at what she was announcing?

Here is a link to the text of the speech

I've copied and google translated the part where she talks about Henrik:

I can not finish without saying thank you, thank you for everything Prince Consort and I and our whole family has received the warmth and friendliness also in this year.

But I want tonight to say a special thank you to the Prince Consort. My husband has decided that now is the time for him to "slow down" - to, if I may say it in plain Danish, to retire. In future, the Prince Consort only to a very limited extent take part in the official events, which for so many years has been a natural part of his life. It's his decision, I understand it and I respect it. I am my husband deeply grateful for all the support, help and inspiration he has given me through the years. I look forward to that I can continue to perform my duties, and I still have my husband to support me, although it is less visible.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

There's comes a time when ones knows it's time to hang up ones hat and call it a day. I think it's very honorable and brave of Henrik to come to this decision, especially when he's married to a job that everyone expect him to do until he dies. Putting himself and health first is the right thing to do, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 PM
Administrator

If it is health that is causing Henrik to withdraw from his public duties, than I certainly wish him a speedy recovery.

But I can certainly understand why people (including myself to be honest) are suspicious regarding the "retirement." Yes, most people at Henrik's age if they can afford it, do retire but it certainly not something expects of the consort unless it's health decision. And honestly, based on his previous issues with his role....you do have to wonder if he is taking his toys so know one else can play with them.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There's comes a time when ones knows it's time to hang up ones hat and call it a day. I think it's very honorable and brave of Henrik to come to this decision, especially when he's married to a job that everyone expect him to do until he dies. Putting himself and health first is the right thing to do, IMO.
I agree. If Henrik feels he can no longer fulfill his duty to the best of his ability - for whatever reason - it's best to bow out gracefully and retreat into private life. He's the consort, not the monarch, and he is in his 80s, after all.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The more i think about it the more i think this could be related to him wanting to be King. It all seems a bit dramatic to me and if it was because of ill health wouldnt they want him to stop all activities not just "state" duties? I mean if he is going to carry on being patron of some things (which the Chamberlain seeemd to imply) then he can't be that ill? I wonder if he has finally thrown his dummy out the pram and said no more (but then realised if he still does some things he can go on moaning about his title??)
I hope he isnt seriously ill, that would of course be sad.
He's not ill, but he has trouble walking, and as he said in an interview some months ago, he is tired.

Quote:
Here is a link to the text of the speech

I've copied and google translated the part where she talks about Henrik:

I can not finish without saying thank you, thank you for everything Prince Consort and I and our whole family has received the warmth and friendliness also in this year.

But I want tonight to say a special thank you to the Prince Consort. My husband has decided that now is the time for him to "slow down" - to, if I may say it in plain Danish, to retire. In future, the Prince Consort only to a very limited extent take part in the official events, which for so many years has been a natural part of his life. It's his decision, I understand it and I respect it. I am my husband deeply grateful for all the support, help and inspiration he has given me through the years. I look forward to that I can continue to perform my duties, and I still have my husband to support me, although it is less visible.
Oh, I think I've translated and posted the part where she talks about Henrik in a previous post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
He is frail, but he's not suffering from anything (according to people who is close to him), and he has complained about the king stuff for years. The reason to why he has complained about it a lot lately is because the journalists ask him questions and he answers them, and so it will continue (if he continues to give interviews).

Prince Henrik - from child in Hanoi to Prince of Denmark, a life in pictures:
http://www.b.dk/nationalt/prins-henr...ins-af-danmark
Old 12-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I agree. If Henrik feels he can no longer fulfill his duty to the best of his ability - for whatever reason - it's best to bow out gracefully and retreat into private life. He's the consort, not the monarch, and he is in his 80s, after all.

Yup, from what I've seen of recent consorts, they are pretty much dedicated in supporting their spouses (King or Queen) for as long as they possibly can. I don't see him retiring over a title, but only due to health and for the concern over his well being. It's pretty hard for everyone to understand that when it's a job that people expect you to do until old ticker stops. Stepping down with dignity is for the best. The Queen and family support his decision, so should everybody else.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2015, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
After all these years, why would he think he would be elevated to King Consort at this time? Is there a precedence for this?
Henrik has wanted to be a King Consort for a considerable time and has stated and inferred this several times in the past few years. He doesn't believe that he should be third in the kingdom of Denmark in terms of position and that is well known.

We don't know what has occurred in the past weeks to spur this announcement by Queen Margrethe. Prince Henrik may well have pressed the issue again and received a final 'No!' hence the decision to 'retire'.

As he intends to hold on to most of his patronages and avoid the more State oriented occasions, I doubt it's a health issue, more a case of this man wanting to hold on to the prestige he has left and not passing the occasion to shine at events of his own choosing to his sons and daughters in law. Plus he has chosen (presumably of his own free will) to not play third fiddle on formal occasions in the future.

And, no there is no precedent for a King Consort in Denmark.