The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Me too. I hope we are all wrong, but I'm sure the Queen misses spousal support, a pat on the back, discussions about amusing or interesting things that happened on their engagements. Of course that may happen privately anyway, but being alone on big occasions can't be fun for her now.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Royal Highness

She might be really happy thinking " thank god I don't have to worry about what he will say anymore. " I hope so anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Or the Queen may be happy because her husband is able to enjoy his twilight years travelling and spending more time with his beloved grandchildren and remaining siblings, after almost half a century serving her and Denmark.

She may be happy that her husband (and it was always clear how deeply they love each other) is able to do something she can't, because of the way she sees her role as Queen (a job for life).

But I understand everything related to the Prince Consort of Denmark will always be received with negativity and snarky comments here.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
Why does PH retirement bother me? I don't mean personally but it just seems selfish to me. Every time I see the Queen attending thing by herself, it bothers me. I know it's none of my business and I'm sure they have it all worked out between themselves but it still bothers me
I know exactly what you mean. When the Queen was in Oslo to celebrate TT.MM Silver Jubilee, it was sad to see the Norwegian King and Queen walk side by side, King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia side by side, with Queen Margrete walking in between, alone. She really looked alone, I almost hesitate to say it, but she looked, and looks widowed, on current public engagements.

I wish they had scaled down a little on public engagements together, so there was room for maybe a tad more personal time in times ahead, but in all fairness, most royals are good at balancing their time and enjoying their hobbies and holidays as well.

Whatever the reason, it just isn't a good look for a partner to leave his wife so alone on all these occasions, but she carries herself regally and superbly, even if she does it alone these days.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
It is usual for Senior Public Servants to have known retirement benefits, commensurate with their rank and service. They don't have to prove popularity and have a compliant nature.
No one would suggest giving an ex Prime Minister less because he had a higher wage and entitlements while in office. No one would expect a teacher to forego retirement payments if they happen be heir to a wealthy fortune nor if they were to win Tattslotto.
I am suggesting that there should be sensitive thought and good planning so that there is no uncertainty for Royals and the public.
Denmark seems to have a knee jerk way of reacting to divorce and now retirement payments for the DRF.
I agree. He is an old man way passed retirement age. He should receive some sort of retirement income - plain and simple.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
Why does PH retirement bother me? I don't mean personally but it just seems selfish to me. Every time I see the Queen attending thing by herself, it bothers me. I know it's none of my business and I'm sure they have it all worked out between themselves but it still bothers me
It bothers me too. I have very much resented that for so long, Prince Henrik not only made his objections to not having *even more privilege* than he already has known, but that he's appropriated the language of gender equality to do so.

The man has not ever used his considerable privilege to try to make gender inequality better. He hasn't advocated for rape victims or domestic abuse survivors, worked with groups that work to educate girls living under oppressive regimes, used his voice to object to child marriage... and he enjoys an enormous platform where he could have done a tremendous amount of good.

He only talks about gender equality when it's to whinge about himself, and his perceived "injustice" of only being the THIRD most important member of the Danish royal family.

Good riddance to his bloviating.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
It bothers me too. I have very much resented that for so long, Prince Henrik not only made his objections to not having *even more privilege* than he already has known, but that he's appropriated the language of gender equality to do so.

The man has not ever used his considerable privilege to try to make gender inequality better. He hasn't advocated for rape victims or domestic abuse survivors, worked with groups that work to educate girls living under oppressive regimes, used his voice to object to child marriage... and he enjoys an enormous platform where he could have done a tremendous amount of good.

He only talks about gender equality when it's to whinge about himself, and his perceived "injustice" of only being the THIRD most important member of the Danish royal family.

Good riddance to his bloviating.
As your life comes to close, IMO, a person is entitled to slow down. No, he never took on a cause, but something should have been done about that a long time ago. He is a cranky old man, but still entitled to enjoy what life he has left. He shouldn't be slammed now; Margrethe and/or the Danish public should have demanded more from him many years ago. It's a mute point now, the past can't be changed and he shouldn't be punished for it now. If he really believes he should have been King Consort, his retirement is nothing but a blessing. He may be more feeble than any of us realize.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
As your life comes to close, IMO, a person is entitled to slow down. No, he never took on a cause, but something should have been done about that a long time ago. He is a cranky old man, but still entitled to enjoy what life he has left. He shouldn't be slammed now; Margrethe and/or the Danish public should have demanded more from him many years ago. It's a mute point now, the past can't be changed and he shouldn't be punished for it now. If he really believes he should have been King Consort, his retirement is nothing but a blessing. He may be more feeble than any of us realize.
He very well may be experiencing senility. That would explain some of his recent erratic behavior, and if so, I wish his family the strength they need to work with someone in decline. It's difficult.

But for now, we have to accept Henrik's public statements as his opinions, and they've gone back for a long time. It will never sit well with me for a privileged wealthy man to complain about not having enough privilege due to gender inequality, while ignoring that elsewhere, women are dying for being women.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
He very well may be experiencing senility. That would explain some of his recent erratic behavior, and if so, I wish his family the strength they need to work with someone in decline. It's difficult.

But for now, we have to accept Henrik's public statements as his opinions, and they've gone back for a long time. It will never sit well with me for a privileged wealthy man to complain about not having enough privilege due to gender inequality, while ignoring that elsewhere, women are dying for being women.
That's it, perfectly stated.

He won't go down in history as a great man (unless we do come to learn there is dementia involved)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Majesty

A note in Billed Bladet #08, 2016 - that is today.

Mention that while QMII is in Norway these days, PH is on the Portuguese island of Madeira. Along with a number of friends he is staying at Hotel Riu Palace Madeira. (The stay is confirmed by one of the friends mentioned below.)

Every day PH and the friends have been seen playing bridge.

The friends are:
Fritz Schur - (who after the death of Mærsk McKinney-Møller now handles the investments of at least the Regent Couple. He doesn't seem to be close to M&F though).
Patricia and Jacob Asbæk,
Claudia Sehested-Juul (nobility).
Lena Lüttichau,
Kristen Schrøder,
Jens Münter,
Plums and Ivar Carstenschiold (nobility).

- I list the names because as far as I can tell they are mainly PH's friends, more than QMII's friends.
If the members of the Heering and Wedell families were with him, then I think it would be considerably less likely that we are talking about a de facto separation. That option as you know has also been speculated about.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Courtier

Madeira is a portuguese island not a spanish one.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Majesty

You are right.
I blame the government. (And that's only half a joke! Which you may learn next week...).
Old 02-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A note in Billed Bladet #08, 2016 - that is today.

Mention that while QMII is in Norway these days, PH is on the Portuguese island of Madeira. Along with a number of friends he is staying at Hotel Riu Palace Madeira. (The stay is confirmed by one of the friends mentioned below.)

Every day PH and the friends have been seen playing bridge.

The friends are:
Fritz Schur - (who after the death of Mærsk McKinney-Møller now handles the investments of at least the Regent Couple. He doesn't seem to be close to M&F though).
Lena Lüttichau,
Kristen Schrøder,
Jens Münter,

- I list the names because as far as I can tell they are mainly PH's friends, more than QMII's friends.
If the members of the Heering and Wedell families were with him, then I think it would be considerably less likely that we are talking about a de facto separation. That option as you know has also been speculated about.
thank you
So first some days in Naples, than three weeks in Egypt and now some time in Portugal?
so much for spending time with his grandchildren lol

he is obviously well enough to travel but yet let his wife go alone to the Norwegian celebrations last month - that is not very kingly behavior
Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Royal Highness

It will be interesting to see if he is around for the traditional photo sessions. In the past there has been some lovely photos with his grandchildren.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The fact he is playing bridge daily would seem to count against the dementia theory.

Curiouser and curiouser. I just hope his absence isn't causing any extra stress or inconvenience for Margrethe. I am very fond of that lady.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It will be interesting to see if he is around for the traditional photo sessions. In the past there has been some lovely photos with his grandchildren.

I agree.
Some of my favorite moments with his grand kids
https://40.media.tumblr.com/e7e4703e...oeepo1_500.png
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...68635fdec0.jpg
(poor Vincent lol)
http://www.europeanroyaltyandnobilit...-467A1002b.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id481779088
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The friends are:
Lena Lüttichau,
Kristen Schrøder,
Jens Münter,
Lena Lüttichau is former L-i-W for QMII
Old 02-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

I may be wrong but i think QMII and PH (oops sorry i meant KH) may have lived separate lives for many years but is close friends and turns up for work and family occasions together.

They both seems to enjoy life apart from each other and it seems that this situation is not new to any of them, except that Margrethe mostly works alone now.

I may be totally wrong but this is my impression.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

A lot of older people with means live apart, or apart at least part time.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM
Majesty

Thanks, FasterB.

I've been thinking about that one too. I think they still love each other, or at the very least did until very recently, if the "separation-theory" is true.
But if you look at higher nobility anno 1955, which is around the formative years of both QMII and PH, and add a good deal of conservatism (both QMII and PH can be pretty conservative!), wasn't it quite normal that people in those circles lived relatively separate lives?
I.e. they may still have loved each other and been intimate, but on a day to day basis they lived pretty separate lives and even traveled separately quite often.
Benedikte and Prince Richard also seems to have lived like that since they were married - even if Prince Richard can be something of a... handful.