Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We most likely will never be given the exact reasons for why he's retired/slowing down/picking and choosing. If it is something physical or mental such as bad arthritis or early stage Alzheimer's or anything else, its not something a person would want made public. With that in mind, I'm going to just opt for the belief that he has good days and bad days and now has the freedom to deal with them as he sees fit.

She must be relieved to not have to deal with him right now. I am leaning toward the doesn't like to be seen needing assistance angle, his pride seems to be his main focus

The Queen has been married to him almost 50 years. She knows him from A to Z, and he knows her from Z to A. Together they always seem to have great fun, true soulmates. Everyone who sees the Prince sees his physical limitations, his problems with mobility, the strain he has put on his body for years living a grand burgundian lifestyle. Yes he is a proud man. He is French, after all... nothing new under the sun.

That does make me sad. In spite of his humours he does seem to have been a big support for QM all these years.

Henrik's "retirement" saga seems to me to have been needlessly complicated from the start. I don't understand why they couldn't have put out a straightforward notice that Henrik would be slowing down and participating in fewer events and have that be the end of it. I think most Danes would understand that many people don't have the stamina and energy in their 80s that they did when they were younger. Henrik could have shown up to events when he felt able and stayed home when he didn't while still remaining an official part of the RF. There wouldn't have been any need for the title change or the change in signing official letters, (like the letter of condolence), and there wouldn't be the ongoing speculation about what's really happening.

Yes, that would have been the easiest option by far, so it's all the more surprising/mysterious/telling (depending on how you look at it) that they didn't choose that route

:previous: Yes, Camelot23ca, the first thought that ran through my mind was that the retirement had not been planned long before the announcement.

I know next to nothing about the Danish royals so I'm likely way off base.

But, to me, this looks like a marriage which has reached its conclusion. They seem happier apart than together. Like many elderly people whose marriage has essentially ended late in life, there's clearly still plenty of affection there and no possibility of an actual divorce, but this does not resemble a couple in love anymore.

The 'retirement' would be a neat and tidy way of letting people know they'll spend most of their time away from each other without having to go into the specifics of the relationship.

I'm probably wrong though.

If this turns out to be true, it would be sad if Margrethe and Henrik have separated from each other, particularly since they are both in their old age. I still think that Henrik holds a grudge because of his "I wish I was King" rants. I agree that's it's very telling given how she addressed herself to President Obama. Perhaps their marriage now will be like Juan Carlos and Sofia of Spain's, if true. But I'll just wait and see.

I don't believe we can derive anything about the state of their marriage from the letter of condolence – Henrik has retired from his official duties as Prince Consort and as such it's only natural that she alone would sign an official letter of condolence. I mean, this was all specified in the announcement? He will only participate in select official engagements and then maintain his patronages, otherwise he's retired. Now, one can debate the reason behind this retirement and whether it was a rational choice but although his absence is feels odd here in the beginning it can hardly come as a surprise that they follow the plan that was laid out from the beginning of the year?

Henrik's "retirement" saga seems to me to have been needlessly complicated from the start. I don't understand why they couldn't have put out a straightforward notice that Henrik would be slowing down and participating in fewer events and have that be the end of it. I think most Danes would understand that many people don't have the stamina and energy in their 80s that they did when they were younger. Henrik could have shown up to events when he felt able and stayed home when he didn't while still remaining an official part of the RF. There wouldn't have been any need for the title change or the change in signing official letters, (like the letter of condolence), and there wouldn't be the ongoing speculation about what's really happening.

You are absolutely right

I don't believe we can derive anything about the state of their marriage from the letter of condolence – Henrik has retired from his official duties as Prince Consort and as such it's only natural that she alone would sign an official letter of condolence. I mean, this was all specified in the announcement? He will only participate in select official engagements and then maintain his patronages, otherwise he's retired. Now, one can debate the reason behind this retirement and whether it was a rational choice but although his absence is feels odd here in the beginning it can hardly come as a surprise that they follow the plan that was laid out from the beginning of the year?

But then why wasn't that plan followed in March when the letter of condolence went out to Belgium? Why the change now?

To me, and heaven knows I may very well be wrong, it looks as if, after months of sniping about his position as third in the kingdom, there was one unholy explosion from Henrik late last year, one last throw of the dice to gain the position of King Consort that he felt he was entitled to. However, I think the Queen wouldn't budge and so for many months Henrik has been on a lengthy sulk about an argument now that he definitely knows he can't win.

He signs condolence letters when he wants to sign them, doesn't sign them when he doesn't, and when he feels particularly aggrieved about the situation he retreats to his native France. The trouble is, I suspect, if he spends too much time with Queen Margrethe all those old resentments start boiling up inside again. Perhaps it's better all round if he just has time away from everyone and does his own thing.

To me, and heaven knows I may very well be wrong, it looks as if, after months of sniping about his position as third in the kingdom, there was one unholy explosion from Henrik late last year, one last throw of the dice to gain the position of King Consort that he felt he was entitled to. However, I think the Queen wouldn't budge and so for many months Henrik has been on a lengthy sulk about an argument now that he definitely knows he can't win.

He signs condolence letters when he wants to sign them, doesn't sign them when he doesn't, and when he feels particularly aggrieved about the situation he retreats to his native France. The trouble is, I suspect, if he spends too much time with Queen Margrethe all those old resentments start boiling up inside again. Perhaps it's better all round if he just has time away from everyone and does his own thing.

I think you are spot on and have thought this since it was first announced.

This all just sounds incredibly petty and immature. ?

Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.

Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.

Oh I find it incredibly offensive as well.

It would be one thing if he had ever used his profile and money and time to promote gender equality. If he had been campaigning for access to education for girls in Afghanistan and working to support domestic violence survivors and rape survivors, and this was just one part of a campaign for gender equality- I could take it.

But since the only time he seems to care about it is in the one instance where it works against him- he can preen and sulk all he wants in France and no one should pay his temper tantrum any mind.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Oh I find it incredibly offensive as well.

It would be one thing if he had ever used his profile and money and time to promote gender equality. If he had been campaigning for access to education for girls in Afghanistan and working to support domestic violence survivors and rape survivors, and this was just one part of a campaign for gender equality- I could take it.

But since the only time he seems to care about it is in the one instance where it works against him- he can preen and sulk all he wants in France and no one should pay his temper tantrum any mind.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

What a great point!

Agree with above posters.

PH's sulking might very well have cost him a title as say "king-consort" and was certainly expensive on the popularity-account!

There would never have been such a thing as a king-consort in Denmark, putting this issue forward for real people would have said, seriously?! It would probably have opened a discussion that no monarchy would want about their right to exist.

If Henrik hasn't seen the sign of the times, that elevating somebody to king-consort is impossible in modern times, he is beyond help.

:previous:No, perhaps not.
King-consort would be the highest he could ever hope to get, the title of king is totally out of the question, because that would require a change of the Constitution.
There were however also some who advocated changing Mary's future title to queen-consort.

Anyway, that has long since been thrown out the window. The public doesn't think he earned that consideration due to his tantrums.

That he IMO ought to have been allowed to change his official name back to Henri a decade ago is another matter.

I'm confused, don't all Queens who are not monarchs hold the title Queen consort anyway, eg Queen Sonja Queen consort of Norway?

In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.

Last edited:
I think it's time for gender-neutral titles for the monarch and consort, in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. Although I have to say that the notion of offering Henrik the option to be called His Majesty, Queen Henrik appeals to me immensely. :lol:

In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.

Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!

Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!

Oh absolutely,but see,The DoE was born into Royal circles and was raised in the full awareness of that and what it constitutes,whereas H family is at best a aristo start-up bunch who cared/care more on status and grandeur for their own then any born Royal wouldn't even dare to think of.

I feel sorry for Queen Margrethe though,very much so,such an examplary Monarch who is put up for life with this selfindulgent "I am over the top important " creature.And for his kids.

I recall Frederik saying in a speech directed to his father,if beating is a show of love,then you must love us very much....Ever since this man disgusts me.

@ Roslyn,the last part you wrote...yes..this is exactly what I try to get across tiptooing...grin....

Last edited:
:previous:
:previous:
:previous: Oh yes, Roslyn! I would pay serious money to see his reaction to that! :D

Perhaps.
But the current system works.
PH is the only consort who has made a song and dance act about this.

He is an intelligent man and he knows perfectly well that in order for him to get the title of king, the Constitution needs to be changed and that's very difficult. On top of that: While the Constitution could need a modernization there is no way in this world the proceedings are going to start based on that. PH's king-issue would simply distract from the rest of the changes.
And the more he keeps talking about it, the less the chances are for the Constitution to be overhauled. - PH has by no means endeared himself to those politicians who advocate changes to the Constitution!

And there is really no rush.
Because while the Constitution outlines the way the system works and the basic rights and duties of the citizens, it's full of loopholes.
Many Danes think what is said in the Constitution is absolute. - That is far from necessarily the case!

Many if not most paragraphs in the Constitution basically says: !!§§§!! unless another paragraph says something else.
And such a paragraph is only invalid if the Supreme Court has ruled or rules that's goes against the Constitution.
I believe that applies to most constitutions, otherwise governments would be unable to function efficiently.
Example: Conscription for all able-bodied men is mandatory, according to the Constitution. - But it doesn't define how many should be called up. And it is possible to "temporarily" suspend conscription - indefinitely...

But some would like to see that laws do not require the signature of the Monarch in order to become valid. - That argument is hard enough to sell as it is! And with PH shouting: I wanna be king! Such a change is hopeless!
Or that DK should become a secular state, but again with PH shouting: King! King! King! - Fat chance of that happening!

- Couldn't agree more, Duke of Marmalade.
DoE would probably protest loudly and threaten to retire, if that was even proposed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom