The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The DK press follow PH these days, now that he has retired, and this article would normally belong in another thread but because of one particular detail, I've decided to put it here.
Henrik blev tituleret som konge - og bestilte mærkværdig figur af sig selv - Royale | www.bt.dk

PH visited the shop of artisan and artist Marco Giuseppe Ferrigno, in Naples.
Here he commissioned a figure of himself carved in wood, where he is a shepherd. The figure will be 40 centimeters high.
He also bought a number of figures for a nativity scene - they are around 20 cm high.

Ferrigno says about PH: "He was very open, very democratic in the best definition of the word. And we were all to take pictures with him. He seems like a very kind/friendly person. When you talk about regents, you often thing they are reserved but he was very amiable".

PH was presented and apparently addressed as king. Because Ferrigno afterwards wrote on Facebook that he had been visited by the Danish king.

Ferrigno explains: "It was the interpreter who said it. I didn't know his title was Prince".
Thank you, as always Muhler, for this gem. A very happy new Year indeed to you and yours, as I contemplate the ramifications of HRH the Prince Consort's visit to Naples. The Prince visited the atelier of one of the most famous of Neapolitan carvers of 'santons' or nativity scenes. He ordered a shepherd in his own image, twice as high as the other shepherds he purchased! One can only imagine what the 'crèche' at Marselisborg (or at Cayx, if he retires to France and summons the family there) at Christmas will look like next year. This however raises an even more interesting question: does the depiction of the Nativity in its traditional 'stable at Bethlehem' format have a place in Lutheran Danish households?

Old 01-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have a feeling that the reason why the apanage is individual is to avoid family feuds over who gets how much. - Especially if the king has a "very close and loving relationship with money" and as such is reluctant to part with them...

And also to avoid the crown prince to have to come "begging" for more funds. - Not least of the king and the crown prince has a bad relationship.

And we must not forget the PH complained long and hard about having to "ask his wife for money".

- Who knows? It might be contagious. One day we may see Daniel tear off his tie and run off to Öland and complain that he always has to ask Victoria for money whenever he wish to buy a new suit. - To supplement his other 107 identical suits. (Sorry, couldn't resist ).
Oh I do hope Daniel never falls down this silly hole that some of the consorts have.

After this story in Naples, my opinion that Henrik has "retired" because he's upset is even stronger. I would be shocked if we find out this year that he's sick since he just appears to be such a whiny little man right now. "King" Henrik.

Good lord.

(and its clear some of us have differing opinions on what's juvenile. I found it funny, lol)

Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
After this story in Naples, my opinion that Henrik has "retired" because he's upset is even stronger. I would be shocked if we find out this year that he's sick since he just appears to be such a whiny little man right now. "King" Henrik.

Good lord.
Me too. Commissioning a statue of yourself as shepherd just fits the ego theory.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
(and its clear some of us have differing opinions on what's juvenile. I found it funny, lol)
I found it funny too so I didn't see what was the problem with Muhler's comments Muhler's style of comments are the same he has been making for years and I for one value his opinions and point of view immensely! He does an invaluable service translating for us non-Danes and giving us insights on Danish current affairs, history and lifestyle!!

Thank you very much for making me laugh Muhler and please continue!!!! I for one do not find your comments juvenile in the least!!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I found it funny too so I didn't see what was the problem with Muhler's comments Muhler's style of comments are the same he has been making for years and I for one value his opinions and point of view immensely! He does an invaluable service translating for us non-Danes and giving us insights on Danish current affairs, history and lifestyle!!

Thank you very much for making me laugh Muhler and please continue!!!! I for one do not find your comments juvenile in the least!!!!
I totally agree. I think there's a place for slightly silly humour in discussions about serious issues, especially in long posts, and so many of Muhler's posts are long because he is a veritable fount of relevant and interesting information. A joke lightens the tone and makes us laugh, and sharing jokes serves to help us bond as a community.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Okay...

First, I joke because this is a very serious subject!
Whether PH is suffering from yet another tantrum or from cognitive deterioration it's serious. Especially for the DRF.
So what should we do? Cry? *****foot? Be serious? - Life would be unbearable so why not take a lightheaded approach from time to time? It won't make a difference anyway to PH. His condition or tantrum is unlikely to improve.

I happened to use Daniel as a subject, because there are not that many future prince consorts around. A man I believe is instrumental to saving the SRF for the next generation.
Victoria will maintain the Swedish monarchy for another generation - not least because of Daniel's support.
Don't know about you Grevinnan, but I never ever make fun of or have fun with people I don't like.

Back to topic.

Making a shepherd of himself in double size and placing it in a nativity scene, that would be a typical PH! That's his sense of humor, so I don't think we should put too much into that one.

And I honestly don't know if nativity scenes is a part of the Lutheran tradition. It's certainly not a common decoration in Danish homes.
I refer your question to our resident theologian, FasterB.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Or going loco...

My pet-theory at present is still a kind of dementia.

The interesting thing is what would happen should it ever become necessary to restrict PH's movements. (Snip)
It does sound suspiciously like the early stages of dementia and, if it is, the time will come when his movements will have to be restricted.

My brother had a form of dementia which started affecting his behaviour in his early 50s and progressed, as it does, over the years until he was confined to a nursing home and eventually died because of it. My mother and I became responsible for his care in one way or the other. We found the most difficult stage, for him as well as for us, was the early stage where he was still able to handle most of the tasks of everyday life, and travel on his own, and was aware that there was something wrong with him but not knowing what it was, because without a diagnosis and a reason to restrict the person's activity, all you can do is worry. This stage can last for some years, and if this is indeed what is happening to Henrik, I am very sorry for him, and for Margrethe and the rest of his family, because I wouldn't wish dementia on my worst enemy, but it is something that can hit any one of us. Only time will tell if this is what is the cause of Henrik's odd behaviour.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Sorry to hear about your brother, Roslyn.

My wife works professionally with people suffering from the various forms of dementia and we have wondered what will happen to PH, should he be suffering from dementia.

I can't help wondering whether there are quietly being set up plans for making a ward in one of the palaces.
The most logic would be Fredensborg. Not so many stairs that needs to be secured and it's easier to wheel a bed and a wheelchair around. It's quieter and should he run away, it will be easier and less embarrassing to rein him in at Fredensborg.
Marselisborg is also an option, because it's walled in and close to one of the most modern hospitals in DK.

Cayz could also be an option, but less likely IMO as it's far away from everything.

Also, as his condition deteriorates it will be likely that QMII will be around him daily, probably most of the time and that means that M&F in particular will take over even more.

However, he is 81 and overweight. If he is lucky he will die before he deteriorate to such an extent that he needs care 24/7 - and his grandchildren will only remember him as a loving and wacky grandpapa.
That would be a good way to go IMO.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Majesty

I too hope he does not have Alzheimer's or Dementia. They are cruel conditions that rob people of their memory and eventually their dignity. My mother has been in secure care for nine years and seeing her and knowing while she is smiling at me she hasn't a clue who I am, is heartbreaking.

The care of people with such conditions is definitely a calling and my mother's carers are remarkable people with gentle hearts and hands. But I still "miss" my mother.

For those reasons I hope that PH is just happily eccentric.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Nobility

It's interesting that Prince Daniel should be mentioned. He is going to set a standard for prince consorts in the future. The heirs of Belgium, Spain, The Netherlands, Norway and Japan are all female. Although Japan will have to change their constitution for females to inherit the throne. Daniel and these future consorts are of a different generation - they have been raised in the era of equal rights for women. I have long thought that at least some of PH's issues are because men of his generation were the head of the household. My late mother-in-law certainly thought so - ''the man should be the boss!'' It will be interesting to see how PH is doing a year from now.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Muhler, you are one of the main reasons I joined this forum - you have such extensive knowledge along with wit - invaluable I do believe. Thank you for all the insights, laughter, chuckles and pleasure you have brought to this member.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye View Post
Muhler, you are one of the main reasons I joined this forum - you have such extensive knowledge along with wit - invaluable I do believe. Thank you for all the insights, laughter, chuckles and pleasure you have brought to this member.

I agree love reading your posts

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Aristocracy

I hope Henrik doesn't develop a serius dementia.
Should he be so unlucky I hope he is not banished or locked away. The DRF could afford individual carers to accompany him on his adventures. At a risk of being embarrassing, Wacky Grandpas can offer a relaxed and alternate view of the World. Eccentricity offers refief from predictability. A large Shepherd is a positive model.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
It's interesting that Prince Daniel should be mentioned. He is going to set a standard for prince consorts in the future. The heirs of Belgium, Spain, The Netherlands, Norway and Japan are all female. Although Japan will have to change their constitution for females to inherit the throne.
Japan is not going to change its constitution to allow female succession.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Aristocracy

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this but how does PH get on with CP Frederik?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Japan is not going to change its constitution to allow female succession.
They are, but not in order to promote Princess Aiko. Like most monarchies, the Japanese one will allow female succession in due course, but it became less of a pressing matter after the birth of Prince Hisahito in 2006. With a rich history of reigning empresses in the past, it's only a matter of time before this change happens in Japan aswell.

When it comes to Prince Henrik, it strikes me as a correct observation that he is a rather old-fashioned man, who has struggled being overshadowed by his wife. Every consort deals with their fate in their own way, and while I do disapprove of his act of withdrawal, I think it is important to equally remember that life as a consort is not for everyone, and he has filled his role, in his own way, for going on 50 years.

I'm only sure of one thing for the future of the Danish monarchy, and that is that the Queen is strengthened by this, and will continue to do her role up to the incredibly high standard she has previously set, and the Danish people will hold her in even higher regard for it.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Naturally none of us hope Henrik is suffering the horrors of dementia, but right now there is no sign of that. I think it's just Henrik being the same Henrik he's always been. Time will tell on this, not a question that can be answered today.

Re: Muhler; Long Live Muhler, the true King of the Danes in my book. (Step aside, Henrik!) Don't ever change, Muhler.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
I hope Henrik doesn't develop a serius dementia.
Should he be so unlucky I hope he is not banished or locked away. The DRF could afford individual carers to accompany him on his adventures. At a risk of being embarrassing, Wacky Grandpas can offer a relaxed and alternate view of the World. Eccentricity offers refief from predictability. A large Shepherd is a positive model.
Nor do I, it's a horrible thing! Not so much for the one who has dementia - they are in their own world. But because it's so painful for the relatives.
Alzheimer at least necessitate at some point that the patient is kept under control.
There are various ways and stages. Some cases use a language that would make even the most hardened sailor blush. Some become aggressive, verbally and physically. Others begin to expose themselves. At some point some begin to yell - for hours!
Such behavior would naturally be an embarrassment for the DRF, should it happen in public, like him going out on Amalienborg Square. But first and foremost it's not something PH would want to be remembered for! He's a very proud man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soula View Post
Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this but how does PH get on with CP Frederik?
They have by all accounts a very loving relationship. - As long as Frederik remember that he is the son and PH is the father and the patron!
Whether they are close, as in talking about personal matters with each other? That's a question I'd like to know the answer to as well.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Nor do I, it's a horrible thing! Not so much for the one who has dementia - they are in their own world. But because it's so painful for the relatives.
Alzheimer at least necessitate at some point that the patient is kept under control.
There are various ways and stages. Some cases use a language that would make even the most hardened sailor blush. Some become aggressive, verbally and physically. Others begin to expose themselves. At some point some begin to yell - for hours!
Such behavior would naturally be an embarrassment for the DRF, should it happen in public, like him going out on Amalienborg Square. But first and foremost it's not something PH would want to be remembered for! He's a very proud man.

They have by all accounts a very loving relationship. - As long as Frederik remember that he is the son and PH is the father and the patron!
Whether they are close, as in talking about personal matters with each other? That's a question I'd like to know the answer to as well.
I know I'm off topic, but I must correct you. The person suffering from Alzheimer's is fully aware of what is going on in the beginning stages, and it is dreadful. Simply, utterly dreadful. Unfortunately I have seen this first hand more times than I care to tell you.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Majesty

I stand corrected.